2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Urban Myth: 2010 Fit Sport MT (in silver hehe)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 12:27 AM
Urban Myth: 2010 Fit Sport MT (in silver hehe)

Hi Fit Freaks! I NEED YOUR HELP!

This will be my first "brand new" car purchase and I am enamored with the 2010 Honda Fit Sport MT.

I am stressing over the process involved in purchasing a new car from the stealership.

EVEN WORSE, I am stressing over the fact that I can't find a 2010 Fit Sport MT! Not even to test drive!! Between six dealerships I have only found one Base Fit MT!!! It's ridiculous!!!!
HOW DO I GET ONE!!!!!?????

Also, I have been looking at the honda.com "build your fit" page.
Build and Price a Honda - the Official Honda Web Site.

Using that as a reference I really want to get a few after market parts for it. The following parts are:
- Sport Pedals ($81)
- a MUGEN quick shifter ($234)
- a MUGEN shifter knob ($126)
- Interior Illumination ($106)
- Door Edge Film ($39)
- And some form of remote start system (honda doesn't make it in a manual).

Is this a good idea? Should shopping for aftermarket parts be done through the stealership?

I desperately need your feedback. I am in great need of guidance. Any information or experience you'd like to share would be of GREAT benefit.

I appreciate you taking the time to read this and understand I'm asking a lot of you.

I look forward to your posts. I want to be a Fit Freak too!!!

Last edited by Subliminal Element; 06-02-2010 at 02:00 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:50 AM
5 Year Member
i really wanted a MT aswell but i have just as much fun with the AT with the paddle shifters that shift only when u want it to, my expirience from the dealer wasn't so bad and i think it would be better to get aftermarket parts from another source. hope u find a fit that "fits" you

Old 06-02-2010, 12:52 AM
If it were me, I'd only buy the extra accessories from the dealership if you aren't comfortable with screwdrivers and drills. There's nothing real complicated and the instructions all appear to be very clear.

For Mugen parts, a quick google shows Genuine 2009-2010 Honda Fit Models Accessories - Bernardi Honda Parts and Accessories and 2009-2010 Honda Fit Mugen Accessories - Genuine Mugen Parts with the mugen parts and more importantly the installation instructions. The prices are gonna be as low as you can find, though your dealer might match them.

I don't know about a remote start for the MT. That sounds like a great way to one day hit the starter button and then watch in horror as the car takes off because you left it in gear.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:59 AM
Well, if you're handy with tools but want genuine Honda accessories, there's always HandA-accessories.com They stock Honda stuff and sell online (technically they are a dealership, but specialize in accessories at near whole-sale prices).

The dealership will gladly walk you through the process. ;-) Most important thing is to remember that until you sign, YOU are in control. They will make you feel as though you have an obligation, even try to get you to sign meaningless little scribble pads. Until you sign the contract, you have not bought a car.

Edmunds TMV is a good tool to see if you are getting a reasonable deal (True Market Value).

Cars come in waves it seems. When I bought my fit, there were none in the three dealesrhips in this county, except one base and one Nav. I had to drive up to Santa Cruz, and even then, I decided that I could live with Silver instead of a more exciting color because it was near the end of the month and they were looking to deal (and C4C was over, which led to a dropoff in sales). Now, every dealership in the area has Fits.

You might call your bank or credit union... if you don't have a credit union, and use a bank, here's your dope slap (WHACK! Go open an account at a credit union!). See what rate they'll offer, get pre-approved, and see what the dealership will offer for financing. Honda Finance is easy to work with, offers decent rates, but if you have bad credit, the dealership will probably farm you out to another financial agency... probably a commercial bank... hence the "check with the credit union first" bit.

Can't speak much for the aftermarket options... whatever floats your boat. Looks like mostly cosmetic anyway, except for the remote start. I'm not sure how you'd wire that into the clutch, unless you just bypassed the clutch switch altogether.

Personally, I'd skip most of that that get a real armrest console (either Honda or Zeta) instead of the lightly-upholstered toothpick that comes with it (which, incidentally, is identical to the middle-row capt chairs armrests in the Odyssey).s

I've done the new car buying thing in four different states, with Honda, Toyota, GMC, and Mazda... They make it entirely too easy for a compulsive car-buying whore like myself.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:14 AM
Originally Posted by FitDEEZ
i really wanted a MT aswell but i have just as much fun with the AT with the paddle shifters that shift only when u want it to, my expirience from the dealer wasn't so bad and i think it would be better to get aftermarket parts from another source. hope u find a fit that "fits" you
I know the Stick-Shift-igencia on here may start the tar-kettle boiling and break out the bags of feathers, but I agree 100%. This automatic is so far separated from the fully automated 4-speed slushboxes of even a few years ago, it's hardly a comparison. The paddle-shifters on a twisty backroad are pure glee, and it leaves a nice spot to stretch your left leg out.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:21 AM
5 Year Member
i know what you mean man.. i had to wait over a month to just get a manual transmission fit.. it had to be pre-ordered.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:23 AM
Pre-ordered! How did you make that happen? Also, did you pre-order any aftermarket parts and if so did they come factory installed or did your dealer have to install them?

Last edited by Subliminal Element; 06-02-2010 at 01:33 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:41 AM
FitDEEZ, Malraux, Occam, Vash -- really appreciate the feedback.

FitDEEZ - I am really pushing for the MT because it's almost $1,000 cheaper. I really wanted to get the Mitsubishi Lancer when it came out simply because of the paddle shifters. But in the end I decided to go MT because I use to have a GSX Eclipse 5 speed and I really like MT cars. Though the paddles do look fun too! If getting an MT becomes too much of a hassle then at least I know the paddles are a positive in the fun-factor and not a drawback to the driving experience.

malraux - You hit the nail on the head (hardy har har har). I am not comfortable with installing things on my own. Weird... I worked maintenance for almost a year. :/ Anyway, I was looking at those links you posted and that will save me a lot of money! Or, at least it will give me some leverage when negotiating prices with the salesman. Thanks!
Yah... I might have to get compustar to install a remote starter. I'm going to work with the stealership so hopefully it won't void my warranty.

Occam - I appreciate the car buying advice. Especially the financing part of it. I have about $14k saved up. Unfortunately I LITERALLY have no credit. I got a good co-signer, but I dread the quotes the stealership might offer. I went to my bank and they were like, "nahhh" even though I was only asking for a $6k loan with a co-signer. I'm going to look at a credit union and consult based on a loan.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Subliminal Element
Pre-ordered! How did you make that happen? And how long did it take before you received your Fit? Also, did you pre-order any aftermarket parts and if so did they come factory or did your dealer have to install them?
If it's anything like what I'm going through, the dealer probably requested a specific car off the factory line.

Well, in my case, the dealer found the trim and color I wanted from a list of cars that would be produced. It might've been planned to go to another dealer, but luckily, this dealer is part of a group that freely trade amongst themselves. They'll let one dealer intercept a car going to any other dealer in the group, so long as the sale is likely.

About the "trading"... some dealers aren't part of groups... so there's an actual cost of dealer to dealer trade, and the consumer ends up paying it. So, watch out for that.

In any case, if the dealer can't find the trim/color/transmission combo that you want, you have the option of ordering it (and I assume it gets put into a queue at the production factory)... and it'll eventually get to your dealer.

While I was shopping around, one dealer said it would take 8-10 weeks to get a 2010 SSM Fit w/Navi automatic, if I were to order it.

But, like I said, the dealer I went to, almost two weeks ago, said they found the one I wanted already scheduled for production for 5/28. They said they could then get it to the dealership one week later. So, I gave them a $500 deposit and got my name on that car. The found me a lender for my financing, so hopefully, by this weekend, I'll have me a shiny new SSM Fit.

Occam - I appreciate the car buying advice. Especially the financing part of it. I have about $14k saved up. Unfortunately I LITERALLY have no credit. I got a good co-signer, but I dread the quotes the stealership might offer. I went to my bank and they were like, "nahhh" even though I was only asking for a $6k loan with a co-signer. I'm going to look at a credit union and consult based on a loan.
I was also having trouble getting a loan from my bank too. My credit history is only about 15 months old, but the real problem that I found out at the dealer ship, was that my history wouldn't come up. I had to print out my history report from myFico to show the dealer and they got some lenders.

I don't dread the dealerships interests rates... in fact, I was originally planning on putting $12k, but I'm going to increase it to $14k (found some of my money I had stashed away!), leaving me with a loan amount of over $7k. As I was saying, I don't dread it, unless they hit me with a high interest rate AND a short term.

Last edited by Goobers; 06-02-2010 at 01:57 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:57 AM
Goobers - nice. Glad to hear you don't have to wait 8-10 weeks. That would be brutal.
I'm curious though. The $500 deposit sounds like it becomes a contractual agreement at that point. Occam said, "Most important thing is to remember that until you sign, YOU are in control." I feel like I might be losing control if I put down a deposit on a car I haven't even seen yet alone driven yet.
Did you negotiate and sign for the car already? Does that mean I have to buy the car before it gets there, or, does it mean I just lose out on the deposit if I don't work out a deal when they receive it? How does that process work?

Old 06-02-2010, 02:04 AM
Wait for a manual. Even with the paddle shifter its a much funner car in MT

Old 06-02-2010, 02:23 AM
5 Year Member
Goobers - nice. Glad to hear you don't have to wait 8-10 weeks. That would be brutal.
I'm curious though. The $500 deposit sounds like it becomes a contractual agreement at that point. Occam said, "Most important thing is to remember that until you sign, YOU are in control." I feel like I might be losing control if I put down a deposit on a car I haven't even seen yet alone driven yet.
Did you negotiate and sign for the car already? Does that mean I have to buy the car before it gets there, or, does it mean I just lose out on the deposit if I don't work out a deal when they receive it? How does that process work?
I still have the option of NOT buying the car... I think I "just" lose out on the $500 if I don't work out a deal with them (how can you say "just"? $500 is a lot man!! At least I think so). For me though, short of the lender backing out, it's almost 100% that I'll buy the car. I may have a lender, but I still have to work out the actual loan interest rate and whatnot.

But I do want to "buy" the car before it gets here... so I can get the car ASAP!!! hehe. For myself, I have test driven two automatic sports fits (originally shopped for the car in October). I'm a little rough, but I'm sure I'll get used to it (after driving my brother-in-law's 1999.5 Nissan Pathfinder for 2 years).

I suppose if you want to see how a manual sports fit feels... test drive the manual base to get a feel for the shifting and engine performance... then find an automatic sports to get a feel of the suspension and most everything else. I think the sports trim should be a little bit stiffer (I didn't test drive a base model).

Too be honest, lately, I've been thinking a lot about getting a manual instead. But I won't. Mostly because I haven't driven a manual in a while and I'm afraid of destroying the gearbox. And partly because I want to be able to let friends and family borrow the car (after I've convinced myself they won't destroy the car's interior or exterior)... and most of them don't know how to drive stick at all. So I figure, flappy paddles should be a decent enough compromise.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:23 AM
Just a thought... given that you would be putting down MORE than half value of the car, it may be workable even without an extensive credit history. I am not a banker, so I can't say.

When I bought the Fit in Oct '09,, they gave me the "You know, in this economy, you're going to have to put something down."
"No I'm not."
"Do you have a trade?"
"Yes, and I'll be getting enough in trade value to pay off that loan."
(funny look)
"Well, then that wouldn't be a down payment!"
"No, I told you I'm not putting anything down."
"Listen, I'm going to run your credit with your permission, but I'm telling you, you'll need a down payment."

(5 mins later)
"My apologies Sir, it looks like you won't need a down payment. We've been turning people down for credit all day."

(Once again, another professional has been deceived by my baby-face and casual attire.)

Old 06-02-2010, 05:46 AM
M/T is always my choice, no matter what cool new automatic feature the build into it.. Luckily I have 3 Honda locations in Honolulu, and they had all the colors available in M/T. I paid $18k OTD, but that's based on inflated Hawaii costs.. I would assume you could get it for less in the Continental U.S...

As far as finding one, I couldn't help you there.. Maybe fly to the next state, then drive it back? Good luck with the purchase, hope to see another fellow Storm Silver rider on the forums!

Old 06-02-2010, 07:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
... Too be honest, lately, I've been thinking a lot about getting a manual instead. But I won't. Mostly because I haven't driven a manual in a while and I'm afraid of destroying the gearbox. And partly because I want to be able to let friends and family borrow the car (after I've convinced myself they won't destroy the car's interior or exterior)... and most of them don't know how to drive stick at all. So I figure, flappy paddles should be a decent enough compromise.
(Two ) be honest, get the transmission you want. Don't choose based on what borrowers would need. In fact, I recommend that you don't lend your car to anyone.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Virtual
(Two ) be honest, get the transmission you want. Don't choose based on what borrowers would need. In fact, I recommend that you don't lend your car to anyone.
Haha... yeah, sometimes I think... "Hell no... this baby's ALL MINE!!!"

But I do want the automatic... sometimes, I just want one less thing to think about when I'm driving. And my fear of destroying the gearbox is a pretty big incentive for me.

I really do miss driving a manual, so I'm pretty torn about it... even if you ignore lending the car to anyone else. I was testing myself earlier in the Pathfinder, popping the truck out of D while in motion, letting it coast while revving the engine and then popping it back in at about the right RPM range without looking at the tach.

LOL, I just realized which form of "to, too, two" I should've used (to).

Old 06-02-2010, 08:48 AM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member

This will be my first "brand new" car purchase and I am enamored with the 2010 Honda Fit Sport MT.

I am stressing over the process involved in purchasing a new car from the stealership.

EVEN WORSE, I am stressing over the fact that I can't find a 2010 Fit Sport MT! Not even to test drive!! Between six dealerships I have only found one Base Fit MT!!! It's ridiculous!!!!

Using that as a reference I really want to get a few after market parts for it. The following parts are:
- Sport Pedals ($81)
- Door Edge Film ($39)

Is this a good idea? Should shopping for aftermarket parts be done through the stealership?

I desperately need your feedback. I am in great need of guidance. Any information or experience you'd like to share would be of GREAT benefit.

I appreciate you taking the time to read this and understand I'm asking a lot of you.

Honda may not be making any more 2010 Fits now. We are close enough to 2011 model year that they may be drying up their supply on the lots so they don't have to discount a bunch of cars. Go outside your area, start looking on the internet, call around to nearby states, you can buy a car anywhere and go get it or have it shipped. If you really can't find the one you have to have, just wait until the new ones come in.

The internet is your best friend when it comes to finding your Fit!

p.s. I still haven't let my hubby drive my car and I've had it over a year. Only my older son has driven it.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:22 AM
This has got to be one of the easiest M/T cars to drive.. Especially if you've driven one before.. Personally I wanted the M/T so I'd have ONE MORE THING to do when I drive, otherwise I'd fall asleep on the road..
With the electronic steering, and all the comforts of the car, it's not hard to get comfortable and doze off.. hehehe

Originally Posted by Goobers
Haha... yeah, sometimes I think... "Hell no... this baby's ALL MINE!!!"

But I do want the automatic... sometimes, I just want one less thing to think about when I'm driving. And my fear of destroying the gearbox is a pretty big incentive for me.

I really do miss driving a manual, so I'm pretty torn about it... even if you ignore lending the car to anyone else. I was testing myself earlier in the Pathfinder, popping the truck out of D while in motion, letting it coast while revving the engine and then popping it back in at about the right RPM range without looking at the tach.

LOL, I just realized which form of "to, too, two" I should've used (to).

Old 06-02-2010, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member

- Sport Pedals ($81)
- Door Edge Film ($39)

First, as far as a test drive goes, the base Fit MT will give you a good idea of how the car moves/drives/works. The Sport has more features, but underneath is the same mechanical package.

Next, find the Internet salescritter at whichever dealer you decide to work with. They get paid differently than the rest of the sales staff, and so have little or no interest in moving a car off the lot at the highest possible price.

Then, you have a couple of choices if what you want isn't on the lot: the dealer can find what you want at another location & get it shipped/driven to your dealer (often the salescritter will go do this themselves), or they can order it for you. Having the dealer locate one is more productive than doing it yourself IMO; they have the tools to find the car & can search a wider area.

Steve

Old 06-02-2010, 02:31 PM
5 Year Member
It took them 2.5 weeks to find me a Fit Sport M/T. They had to swap for it with a dealer in Austin, so it had 218 miles on it when I got it. But I got it in red which was the color I wanted. I told them I'd take anything but black (my other car is black).

As for the after-market stuff, get it from the internet and do it yourself. Much cheaper that way. My next purchase will be the cargo cover from Bernardi.

Honda Cargo Cover Fit - Bernardi Honda Parts and Accessories

Their price is $116 as opposed to the dealer at $166.

Last edited by loubob57; 06-02-2010 at 02:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Urban Myth: 2010 Fit Sport MT (in silver hehe)