2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Help finding new Dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
Help finding new Dealer?

Hi,

I bought a new 2009 Base Auto Fit about 18 months ago.

I'm looking to buy a second Fit (2010 Sport Auto).

Many on the Forums are posting that they paid $17,200-$17-500 OTD for the 2010 Sport Manual and $18,000-$18,500 for the Sport Auto.

Anybody know a dealer that will match those prices.

My current selling dealer is asking $19,100 OTD.

I will be thankful for any help.

Thanks guys!

Old 06-01-2010, 12:23 PM
Have you tried edmunds or one of the other internet sites that lets you get quotes from a slew of dealers? If you know what you want, the internet sales department is almost always the best way to get the best price.

Also remember that OTD pricing is dependent on sales tax, so its hard to compare across multiple regions. Also, there were several incentives on the fit in April that helped to drive down the price. Hopefully, a few more will show up this month.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by malraux
Have you tried edmunds or one of the other internet sites that lets you get quotes from a slew of dealers? If you know what you want, the internet sales department is almost always the best way to get the best price.

Also remember that OTD pricing is dependent on sales tax, so its hard to compare across multiple regions. Also, there were several incentives on the fit in April that helped to drive down the price. Hopefully, a few more will show up this month.
Thank you. I will try Edmunds.

My tax rate in Miami, is 7%. The difference between my sales tax and others is maybe a hundred bucks or so.

I am being qouted much more and none of the locals care to go below $19,100.

I really want to buy a second Fit, but I don't want to pay $1K more if others can help me.

This is a great site and we look out for each other so maybe someone will advise me where I should look.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:08 PM
5 Year Member
well thats what makes the invoices and such confusing, especially on the forums.

Many people say that price.. but thats without Delievery and taxes and all this kind of crap.. which ends up making it the price that the dealer wants anyways. and then OTD price is completely different.. and many dealers don't even calculate OTD price these days like the old way.

I got mine for like 17k OTD, but i have a manual.. and i also bought mine right at the model change from 09-10 and i went with a 2010. another huge problem was that they didn't even have the color i wanted.. so i even had to wait for over a month just to receive my car... its freaken hard man.. its like the honda dealers know that people want this car.. and they will destroy you on the price because they KNOW you want the car.

i was really trying to push 16k OTD but they were not having it at all.. freaken sucked, but.. hey whatever.. i'll give them that extra 1k.. i really needed and wanted a Fit.. and thats the price you pay to get your exact color and everything. I am sure if they already have your exactly color and trim you wanted, the price would be easily negotiated, where as mine.. i had to have mine pre-ordered... and now that i think about it, it might have been 2 months before they got my car in.

Last edited by Vash; 06-01-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
See, you paid $17K OTD where they are asking me for $19,100 OTD.

Big difference.

Also, this will be my second Fit in 18 months. Where is the loyalty?

Originally Posted by Vash
well thats what makes the invoices and such confusing, especially on the forums.

Many people say that price.. but thats without Delievery and taxes and all this kind of crap.. which ends up making it the price that the dealer wants anyways. and then OTD price is completely different.. and many dealers don't even calculate OTD price these days like the old way.

I got mine for like 17k OTD, but i have a manual.. and i also bought mine right at the model change from 09-10 and i went with a 2010. another huge problem was that they didn't even have the color i wanted.. so i even had to wait for over a month just to receive my car... its freaken hard man.. its like the honda dealers know that people want this car.. and they will destroy you on the price because they KNOW you want the car.

i was really trying to push 16k OTD but they were not having it at all.. freaken sucked, but.. hey whatever.. i'll give them that extra 1k.. i really needed and wanted a Fit.. and thats the price you pay to get your exact color and everything. I am sure if they already have your exactly color and trim you wanted, the price would be easily negotiated, where as mine.. i had to have mine pre-ordered... and now that i think about it, it might have been 2 months before they got my car in.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shora
See, you paid $17K OTD where they are asking me for $19,100 OTD.

Big difference.

Also, this will be my second Fit in 18 months. Where is the loyalty?
actually i think mine was 17.4-17.6k somewhere around there.. i forgot now its been so long.

but still..

If your not in a hurry i would just give them the offer of what you think you should pay for the car, and let them contact you. many dealers will followup with it after a week or so. Because we offered many places a certain price.. and by the time they called back, we already bought the car from another honda dealership.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
actually i think mine was 17.4-17.6k somewhere around there.. i forgot now its been so long.

but still..

If your not in a hurry i would just give them the offer of what you think you should pay for the car, and let them contact you. many dealers will followup with it after a week or so. Because we offered many places a certain price.. and by the time they called back, we already bought the car from another honda dealership.
Waiting, looks like there won't be much choice anyway. LOL

Old 06-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Go to the internet like edmunds (malraux). put down a 50 - 100 mile radius of where you live and let the bidding bigin.

This is what I did.

Always ask for the out the door price. Then, compare it to other dealership that sent you a price quotes. Call the dealership and say, can you beat this price or what can you do for me to come in to your dealership.
If they did not give you a quote and wanted you to come in... disregard them. They will give you a run around once you are there.
Be very specific on what you are asking and looking for. If they don't have the color you want, don't bother going there, or else you'll get a lot of sales pitch.
Don't forget to ask for little things as well ie...florr mats, wheel locks, rear bumper garnish, tint etc.
These are little things but it will add up if don't they go any lower on the price. So, if the lowest is $17+ otd...ask for the things that will cost you money later on. Dealership has a little flexibility on these things. Look for all the accessories in the internet for pricing and have it handy once you come in to buy the car. you can use these prices to buy them at a discount or at a dealer's cost. Always, do your trade-ins at the end if you have one.
Always be ready to walk away if they don't have what you're looking for. Don't waste your breath, get in yor car and drive away.
Don't rush. The more time you have the better but, be realistic. You have to remember they need to make money as well.
Oh, by they way, don't let them install any of the things (accessories) you bought or given to you. They will rape you on the install. Make a copy of the quote just incase the internet sales person is not there. And ignore all extended warraties, interior protection crap etc and additional cost/items that they will tack to the agreed price.
Good luck

Old 06-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by little bastard
Go to the internet like edmunds (malraux). put down a 50 - 100 mile radius of where you live and let the bidding bigin.

This is what I did.

Always ask for the out the door price. Then, compare it to other dealership that sent you a price quotes. Call the dealership and say, can you beat this price or what can you do for me to come in to your dealership.
If they did not give you a quote and wanted you to come in... disregard them. They will give you a run around once you are there.
Be very specific on what you are asking and looking for. If they don't have the color you want, don't bother going there, or else you'll get a lot of sales pitch.
Don't forget to ask for little things as well ie...florr mats, wheel locks, rear bumper garnish, tint etc.
These are little things but it will add up if don't they go any lower on the price. So, if the lowest is $17+ otd...ask for the things that will cost you money later on. Dealership has a little flexibility on these things. Look for all the accessories in the internet for pricing and have it handy once you come in to buy the car. you can use these prices to buy them at a discount or at a dealer's cost. Always, do your trade-ins at the end if you have one.
Always be ready to walk away if they don't have what you're looking for. Don't waste your breath, get in yor car and drive away.
Don't rush. The more time you have the better but, be realistic. You have to remember they need to make money as well.
Oh, by they way, don't let them install any of the things (accessories) you bought or given to you. They will rape you on the install. Make a copy of the quote just incase the internet sales person is not there. And ignore all extended warraties, interior protection crap etc and additional cost/items that they will tack to the agreed price.
Good luck
+1 on most of what he said. My wife paid 17,200 for a 2010 sport with auto. As for options or accesories be careful what u ask for. For example if tint isnt free ask for it for free or pay for it seperate. Also navi is a big no no in my opinion. Why pay around 1000-1500 when u can get better aftermarket navi (probably built in to a nice stereo) and NOT HAVE TO FINANCE IT! Rember any option u get is getting that finance % applied so think about it some. But overall call around to local cities with in a hr or so driving distance just to see. (can't hurt) Be ready to walk out. And I never buy the same day unless its just too good to pass up.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cbr900son
Also navi is a big no no in my opinion. Why pay around 1000-1500 when u can get better aftermarket navi (probably built in to a nice stereo) and NOT HAVE TO FINANCE IT! Rember any option u get is getting that finance % applied so think about it some.
But it's not that simple.

Navi isn't being shown as an option, because it's treated as a trim level.

About the stuff navi comes with, that could easily be replaced by aftermarket parts (or self-installed oem parts)... I wholeheartedly agree you can skip em.

But if you want VSA... you can't skip navi. If you think VSA is needed in your area, you can't skip navi.

Say what you want about YOUR ability to drive, but there are people out there that want (like myself) or need (probably me too) VSA.

If I could get VSA without navi, I would've been all over it.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:16 PM
5 Year Member
+1 on most of what he said. My wife paid 17,200 for a 2010 sport with auto. As for options or accesories be careful what u ask for. For example if tint isnt free ask for it for free or pay for it seperate. Also navi is a big no no in my opinion. Why pay around 1000-1500 when u can get better aftermarket navi (probably built in to a nice stereo) and NOT HAVE TO FINANCE IT! Rember any option u get is getting that finance % applied so think about it some. But overall call around to local cities with in a hr or so driving distance just to see. (can't hurt) Be ready to walk out. And I never buy the same day unless its just too good to pass up.
Did your wife pay $17,200 OTD?

That would be $2K less than I am being asked to pay now.

Goodness!!!!

Old 06-01-2010, 05:06 PM
If for some reason they wont go any lower, it might be because of where we are right now.
Summer is near and gas prices are going up. They are banking on the price increase of gasoline and people will buy smaller good gasmizer cars.
By the way, I paid $17,400 otd with accessories for an 2010 auto sport 4 months ago here in California.

Last edited by little bastard; 06-01-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
If for some reason they wont go any lower, it might be because of where we are right now.
Summer is near and gas prices are going up. They are banking on the price increase of gasoline and people will buy smaller good gasmizer cars.
By the way, I paid $17,400 otd with accessories for an 2010 auto sport 4 months ago here in California.
17,400 OTD?!!!

WOW!

For now, I am officially OUT from buying a second FIT. ALL the local dealers are asking me to pay 20% more then what MANY members here paid.

I will not pay $19,100 or more for a car that so many paid 20+% less.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:52 PM
The other issue might be lack of supply right now. I don't know exactly when the factory tools over from 2010 to 2011, but 2011 models are expected by summer's end. The changeover would be a reasonable time for the factory to slow down production. Of course, I'm just guessing here.

Either way, the answer is to ask multiple dealers for quotes. Also check truecar.com or edmunds true market value to see what they estimate the local price to be.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:57 PM
5 Year Member
I know, just think how much I will like my new Fit if I buy it now at 20% above what others are paying, and then the 2011s hit the streets with minor improvements (like rear disc brakes/ VSA standard etc) for LESS THAN I PAID???

I guess I will have to wait. I spoke with 5 dealers, and they all want $19,100-$19, 400 OTD for a 2010 Sport Auto.

Originally Posted by malraux
The other issue might be lack of supply right now. I don't know exactly when the factory tools over from 2010 to 2011, but 2011 models are expected by summer's end. The changeover would be a reasonable time for the factory to slow down production. Of course, I'm just guessing here.

Either way, the answer is to ask multiple dealers for quotes. Also check truecar.com or edmunds true market value to see what they estimate the local price to be.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:24 AM
5 Year Member
yeah the best thing you can do is wait.. it sucks.. but like you said earlyer "there won't be much of a choice anyway"

i was the same way.. i came close to getting a honda civic or a scion xb.. but i was STUCK on getting a honda fit.. i just liked the way it looked so much, and i felt like the month or so extra wait was well worth it.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:04 AM
Most dealers are trying to clear their lot somewhat too cause of the 2011 models coming out soon. Some dealers always ask that much so they have much more play room. Call around any dealership within like 60 miles or so and see what they ask for.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:10 PM
5 Year Member
yeah the best thing you can do is wait.. it sucks.. but like you said earlyer "there won't be much of a choice anyway"

i was the same way.. i came close to getting a honda civic or a scion xb.. but i was STUCK on getting a honda fit.. i just liked the way it looked so much, and i felt like the month or so extra wait was well worth it.
Ordering "might" only start in September for the 2011s. Looks like I have a 3-4 month wait.

They know I have the funds available, and are BEGGING me to get a Civic.

I'll pass. FIT is a whole different animal.

Most dealers are trying to clear their lot somewhat too cause of the 2011 models coming out soon. Some dealers always ask that much so they have much more play room. Call around any dealership within like 60 miles or so and see what they ask for.
Most dealers have very few Fits left, and they need to make them last the 3-4 month wait until the 2011s come in so they are not planning on lowering the price anytime soon.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:30 PM
I'm thinking that my Sport Auto was $18,700 OTD a couple moths ago. Quoted price was 16,955 +tax,license and document fee. Other local dealers had marked up the car as much as $2000 above MSRP by various methods, to over $20k before tax. I had a couple of run-ins with dealers working with that "play room" Any time they have to go ask their manager for permission to deal, and come out with the invoice book, I walk. I won't deal with weasels like that. I know that some people think that the theatrics are part of buying a car, but I won't do it any more. One guy is telling me how little the markup is on the Fit, and how they need to make something the pay the light bill, while standing in his zillion dollar showroom.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by Airman
I'm thinking that my Sport Auto was $18,700 OTD a couple moths ago. Quoted price was 16,955 +tax,license and document fee. Other local dealers had marked up the car as much as $2000 above MSRP by various methods, to over $20k before tax. I had a couple of run-ins with dealers working with that "play room" Any time they have to go ask their manager for permission to deal, and come out with the invoice book, I walk. I won't deal with weasels like that. I know that some people think that the theatrics are part of buying a car, but I won't do it any more. One guy is telling me how little the markup is on the Fit, and how they need to make something the pay the light bill, while standing in his zillion dollar showroom.
Yeah i dont play with them either. They will go back and forth to their manager trying to get the most out of u. I simply walk in and say "Look here is the deal Come to me with your best price OTD right now and if i like ill buy. If i dont i leave and u lose a sale" They will come with a decent deal 90% of the time. If u arnt asuper happy with it. Walk they will stop u goto the manager and come back with a much better deal. If not to your liking leave. Some people will call u later qwith the deal u want some wont. Dont let them rush u EVER. If u want to wait a few days and call around to try and match their price do it. A CAR IS THE SECOND BIGGEST PURCHASE U MAKE BESIDE YOUR HOME. Shop for one like your shopping for a house. Be smart and dont rush.

PS we got her auto fit sport 2010 for 17.890 TOTAL otd price with 0.9% financing (0.9% due to decent down payment, finance over 5 yrs or less, and great credit scores 780 ish)

Last edited by cbr900son; 06-03-2010 at 09:17 AM.