2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

XM radio?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 08:04 PM
XM radio?

I've put it off since we got the Fit in August, but I've got to get XM Radio installed in the car soon. I really like the SkyDock system but, with the power outlet way down low at the front of the console, I'm afraid it would be difficult to see the display, and far from the driver's line of vision.

Has anyone had XM installed, what configuration did you choose, and how pleased are you with the installation?

Thanks,

Gary,
East Snook, TX

Old 05-31-2010, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member
I have an XM radio in our Fit. Never "installed" it. It's lying there and works fine. Read the Amazon reviews of the SkyDock system. I looked at it too, but wonder about how sturdy it is. My XM works like a champ but isn't pretty.

Cheers

Old 05-31-2010, 08:42 PM
Do you have a smartphone of any kind? I was an XM subscriber for two years, and cancelled it when I realized that I was listening to Slacker and Pandora more than XM. I would get frustrated that I couldn't just skip to the next song if I didn't like one.

The USB/iPod connection is wonderful for Slacker, letting me pipe the music in while charging my iPhone at the same time.

XM started to seem a bit obscene - $12.95/mo, and you have to pay extra if you want to listen on a smartphone or computer. I was already paying for the flat-rate internet access on the phone, so why pay twice?

If you live in BFE and don't have reliable radio service, or don't have a Blackberry*, disregard.

*Blackberry's Slacker app allows you to cache stations - create your stations, and when you sync your blackberry, it will update your software with around 100 songs per station. Each time you update, it will remove the oldest, add some new ones, and you can listen regardless of coverage. Wish the iPhone app did the same.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:31 PM
I've got XM through my Pioneer head unit & the XM add-on. It was a more expensive way to go, and the install kinda sucked, but it being all integrated with no extra boxes hanging off my dash makes it worth it. The ~$14 a month kinda sucks. But of course, being a big baseball fan, getting every single Red Sox game without having to deal with sh|tty AM stations is priceless.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by Daemione
I've got XM through my Pioneer head unit & the XM add-on. It was a more expensive way to go, and the install kinda sucked, but it being all integrated with no extra boxes hanging off my dash makes it worth it. The ~$14 a month kinda sucks. But of course, being a big baseball fan, getting every single Red Sox game without having to deal with sh|tty AM stations is priceless.
This is how I eventually ended up. Initially, I added an external XM radio to the Aux plug on the standard Fit radio. It's the older model of the Audiovox Express. I had it mounted on the blank switch plates to the left of the steering wheel, with the idea that if I removed it, changing out the switch blanks would be any easy way to get rid of the mount holes. I also wanted it below casual eye-level so that it didn't incite theft. It worked OK there, but I really wanted it higher up so that it was easier to see and control. I gave in and bought a Pioneer F90BT GPS headunit while they were being discontinued because I also wanted bluetooth, and got the XM add-on module. The F90 was fine up until I upgraded the software to 3.0, after which I've had assorted problems at boot time, and they broke certain features that used to work as expected. I would not recommend Pioneer, even though they've recently released a new generation of units. Their support is worthless. Check out the AVIC411 forums for more info.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:37 PM
I had one of the cardock systems, and found it flimsy. Eventually traded the car off and got one with XM as standard equipment. After awhile, though, just stopped listening to it. Especially after Sirius/XM merger. Programing just doesn't seem that good. Anyway, when my subscription runs out, I will not renew. Local stations are ok, and I have CD and ipod to turn to. Save a few bucks too.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:39 AM
I have an Onyx mounted in the exact same location as SteveInNC for the exact reasons he noted; ease of replacement of the blanks (that I screwed the mount into for extra support), out of sight, etc. As he also indicated, it isn't too bad there, but it's low and not the easiest to see while driving.

I also added an additional 12V plug behind the dash for the power (totally hidden) and routed the aux cable behind the dash and up directly under the radio so that only about 1.5" of cable is exposed at the aux input in the radio. The 3 wires that run out of the back of the Onyx all pass through one of the 3 blanks that wasn't covered by the mount. It's a fairly clean install, but I still wish it was fully integrated.

Overall I'm quite satisfied with the install and the operation. I like XM due to the poor quality (and choice) of FM here - and the NHL channels are great!

Hope that helps!