2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Can I get some road respect please?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cmj912
I seriously think that if you did that here (flash and honk to pass) you would end up on the 6 o'clock news as the subject of a new series on road-rage altercations. What I see most people doing if they get a highbeam flash here is flip the person off behind them and slow down.

Someone else mentioned I should slow down or move over. What I meant was that I definitely get out of the right lane on the highway if I am not the fastest car, and I certainly don't ever tailgate if I can possibly avoid it. I meant the other situation: where I am driving down a road in one direction and someone wants to pull out across traffic or ahead of me.

Which reminds me: that's another thing people do here. There is a break in traffic in one direction and no one will let them cross both lanes, so they pull out into the empty one and block it until someone lets them go. The other drivers all know that they've done this, so they don't let him or her in. They really need to pass that 'gridlock' law here.

But as for the original topic: does the Fit cause you to lose road respect from other drivers, I do think that at least in certain places yes it certainly does.
I have seen bus drivers do that...Pull into the median and block the road until the traffic on the other side lets them in...really dangerous...People here do it all the time too...And sometimes a driver will think he or she is being curteous and lets the person start across...but then the other lane of traffic keeps going and the car waiting blocks the view...BANG! I got in a fender bender once from crossing 3 lanes of stopped traffic, a bus in the 3rd lane a little bit farther back...someone jumped around the bus and zoomed forward as I was starting across...I hit her fender b/c I wasn't expecting her to be there. I NEVER cross traffic unless I am sure that ALL lanes are stopped safely. I'd rather wait a few more minutes and not have to call my insurance company.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Juliane
I have seen bus drivers do that...Pull into the median and block the road until the traffic on the other side lets them in...really dangerous...People here do it all the time too...And sometimes a driver will think he or she is being curteous and lets the person start across...but then the other lane of traffic keeps going and the car waiting blocks the view...BANG! I got in a fender bender once from crossing 3 lanes of stopped traffic, a bus in the 3rd lane a little bit farther back...someone jumped around the bus and zoomed forward as I was starting across...I hit her fender b/c I wasn't expecting her to be there. I NEVER cross traffic unless I am sure that ALL lanes are stopped safely. I'd rather wait a few more minutes and not have to call my insurance company.
A person on a motorcycle got hit by a car in a similar situation. I was a few blocks away when it happened, but it was on the road I was traveling. Caused quite a bit of backup.

It's been a while, so I might have some of the details mixed up... I THINK motorcycle was coming out of a parking lot, trying to cross and go left, but got hit when a car decided to use the median area to bypass traffic (I think to get to turning lanes half a block down). Or was it the motorcycle that using the median? Hum... either way, no one was supposed to be using the median. And the motorcycle from either position is HARD to see.

If there's a lot of traffic, I try to stick to making only right turns into traffic, and even then if there's even a hint of anyone moving when other cars stop to let me go, I won't move. If the stopped cars get upset at me for not moving, I point at the moving car and they quickly shut up. The only times I make left turns into traffic is if there's a huge clearing in both directions, or if there's a median area I can pull into to either speed up to traffic before cutting in, or wait until there's a clearing (depends a lot on road markings).

As for letting cars cut across my path. If I'm stopping, I'll try not to block smaller intersections (more so if a car is coming out of a smaller road) and definitely stay out of bigger intersections if i can't get through. Whether or not I try to be courteous, I mean coming to stop when I clearly don't have to, it depends on what's around me. If there are no cars behind me and an opening coming up in oncoming traffic, I might stop. If there are cars me behind or oncoming traffic isn't clear, I won't stop since its not worthwhile for either of us.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:26 PM
I watched a guy in an S55AMG running through lanes at about 95 racing a G35 Coupe on the Northern State on Long Island in crowded but moving Memorial Day traffic. You want to talk about ridiculous, watch an 18 foot long 5000 500hp sled whipping through lanes like it's a Lotus.

But that's besides the point. Keep up with traffic or find the lane that is moving at the speed you wish to travel at. Stay right keep left. Check your mirrors. Don't pace. Do these things and you'll be fine. When I'm driving the Fit, just because I hate having to wind the thing out to get around people, I usually just stay in the middle lane going as fast as the person in front of me. If the right lane is free, I'll take that lane unless there's an onramp coming up, when I move over to let cars on.

Generally, if you're driving in a respectful manner, you don't really deal with any of these issues. If you're doing 65 in a 65 in the left lane and a loud, silver Cavalier looking thing blows past you in the middle lane and flips you off....well, you deserved that.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:42 AM
I feel like no matter what I do to try to be respectful and courteous to other drivers they still manage to do something varying from mildly annoying or rude to downright dangerous every single day.

Take this morning for instance. Three lanes of highway traffic moving at about 15 mph approaching a huge split where a minor highway joins a major one. Those entering from on-ramps have just a few seconds to get all the way across if they want to get on Route 95 north.

Enter one of those Sprinter cargo vans going about 45, or seeming to, and cutting across all three lanes without even appearing to look or signal. The van does not have windows. After he gets into his lane, he flashes his turn signal twice as if to say "oh, i forgot". Mind you, about 200 feet ahead of him traffic is stopped. I think the van laid down tread in order to stop.

There was loud honking and screaming from most of the other drivers around me, enraged that their handheld cellphone conversations had been interrupted. They may have (It is still not illegal here to talk on a handheld held up to one's ear, though you can't text and drive at the same time...)
I didn't bother honking. I still have the meep-meep horn. It is not a sound I associate with road respect, lol.

As the crow flies I live about 6 miles from my office. It take 30 minutes at rush hour.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member
Solution to all of the above problems...

Name:  Fithog.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  105.8 KB

Old 06-26-2010, 02:42 PM
It may work in Europe...

Originally Posted by specboy
If you check my Sig... The Parrot takes care of my calling needs so I don't have to "pick up" my cell phone to call, and yes... If I see someone doing something dangerous, I do call it in. I also pull over if I'm in an area which could be dangerous during the call - it's also easier for the 911 operator to understand you if you are stopped and the connection is reliable. People Tailgating/driving erratically, People who blow their grass/shovel snow out into the road, farm trucks without a cover letting silage blow everywhere, I'll call as these all create dangerous situations and are due to laziness/irresponsible behavior. No I don't call every time I see any little infraction as I don't intend to be a pest but I do call when something needs to be said.

As far as the precious cargo, yes, everyone is precious, but my family to me is more precious than people who obviously don't care about others. There are morons out there,(smoking with their kids in the car, driving without seatbelts - or their kids without them) and it's a shame but I do think anyone who puts my family in danger has less of a right to be on this planet then my family does so therefore, my cargo IS more precious.

As far as the road littered with bad drivers, here we agree. People who don't use their turn signals (or use them after they are almost ready to/are turning, tailgaters (yes tailgaters are bad drivers a the do not provide enough space to adequately stop in an accident), people who drive slow in the passing lane, those that don't pull over when someone is coming up behind them, etc... do not deserve to be on the road.

As for the flashing of lights, doing it right behind them... definite instigation for Road Rage... doing it 1/4 mile back as note that you are coming through, never had a problem with it. I wish people would adopt how many areas of Europe do it. Kick your left blinker on in the left lane and ride with it on... means you are coming through and the person in front of you should pull over. Worked extremely well while I was in Sicily.

~SB
Kick your left blinker on in the left lane and ride with it on... means you are coming through and the person in front of you should pull over.
Of course, in Florida that means you are a typical old fart doing 45 in the fast lane and nothing on Earth, short of a stroke, will get you out of that lane.

Old 06-26-2010, 04:16 PM
5 Year Member
Air horns. The smaller the car, the bigger the horn should be. It's quite gratifying to hit the horn when an SUV starts moving into your lane, and see the driver's reaction.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by fitchet
R.E.S.P.E.C.T.?
My advice? Just drive whatever way you want to drive...as you have always driven. On the freeway? I get some enjoyment out of suprising people with my ability to keep up with them and/or pass them. It's fun keeping up with the BMW's and SUV's all the while knowing that I'm simultaneously getting 10-15+ mpg's better than they are....Now who deserves some respect?
LMAO yeah I've seen some real arrogant people in their beamers on the beltway and GW parkway during my commute. I pass them as soon as possible because they are the same types that do the brake check if they find you can keep up.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:47 PM
RE: Can I get some road respect please?!?

hello, i am agree with you mate. Nowadays driving is becoming life risky because of lots of traffic and most of the people do not know how to drive.As they should take proper driving tips and follow the driving rules from schools regarding driving to be fit in lane.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member
I have been crowing about this phenomenon of other drivers abusing my Fit since 2 years ago. The explanation is simple...people judge by appearances. The Fit looks wimpy, so they think the driver is wimpy, so they think they can abuse you. They don't signal when cutting in front of me, yet they signal to no one when changing to the next lane. They don't treat SUVs this way.

It's uncanny how drivers treat the Fit. To me it's the biggest "flaw" of the car.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:28 AM
5 Year Member
lol pacing just means going the same speed as the car in front of you. I think that's what you are supposed to do.

Old 10-23-2010, 03:21 PM
I find people pull out in front of the Fit more often than they do my Suburban... could be that the Suburban is lifted and on 35" tires though