2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Can I get some road respect please?!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 09:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
I don't have the problem because I don't cause the problem. On the highway, I average about 70mph- usually between 70- 75. People who want to go faster than that, I have no problem with them getting around me. I even move out of the way if it makes the whole situation safer at the moment. Suburban driving, I'm not the one holding things up, that's for sure. The Fit is a spitfire and can get out of the way and keep out of the way. Just like always, no matter if it was my previous 8 cylindar road eater or my Fit, I'm still surrounded by everyone else holding ME up! And I'm not an agressive or dangerous driver. For years now, I find I'm surrounded by coma drivers. It's the driver, not the car, who people lose their patience with, in my experience. And most of the time, it's for a very good reason.

Dan
Very well said and I second it. I drive Sunrise or the LIE the same way. The Belt PKWY does not apply It's like a road race and if you are not keeping pace you are getting run over. The Fit holds its own.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:59 AM
i tailgate to get people to move. i drive fast and if your in my path then gtfo of the way. otherwise i will tailgate and the problem solves itself.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member
R.E.S.P.E.C.T.?

Well it's a trade off. These are generalizations. But I think some people see a car- hatchback-sub-compact and they instantly attach a lot of almost subconcious ideas to it.

I'm going to get respect because people are going to think it's agile as well as easy to maneuver and park. Those with a little knowledge of The Fit, might give me some respect in regards to it's cargo versatility. I'll even get the "respect" afford by some of driving a fuel efficient vehicle. But if I wanted people to give me the instant or subconcious respect of the idea that I'm driving a powerful or fast vehicle? Maybe it's unfair, The Fit is just as fast as most vehicles on the road...but you're just not going to get it.

Some of these subconcious stereotypes go way, way back. Back to the 60's and 70's when with automobiles you had 6-8 cylinder muscle cars....and small and efficient meant a Volkswagen Bug...which was by comparison gutless and slow. Some people haven't caught up. They don't realize that my Fit can easily (maybe in some cases not quite as fast) but easily get up to legal highway speeds and beyond. They don't realize that it is actually a pretty efficient accelerator. They remember being in their 1973 Camaro, and having to pass the VW Bug that was struggling up the hill.

That's why it bothers me when (mostly women) call my Fit "cute". Nothing wrong with cute...but "Cute" leaves you out of some windows of respect.

My advice? Just drive whatever way you want to drive...as you have always driven. On the freeway? I get some enjoyment out of suprising people with my ability to keep up with them and/or pass them. It's fun keeping up with the BMW's and SUV's all the while knowing that I'm simultaneously getting 10-15+ mpg's better than they are....Now who deserves some respect?

Old 05-28-2010, 11:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wiona
Very well said and I second it. I drive Sunrise or the LIE the same way. The Belt PKWY does not apply It's like a road race and if you are not keeping pace you are getting run over. The Fit holds its own.
We share the same roads. I'm on Long Island too- Brookhaven.

Dan

Old 05-28-2010, 12:59 PM
5 Year Member
Depending on where you live will depend on the safe distance you keep. Proof is here in Orlando if you give 2-3 seconds between you and the person in front of on I-4 someone will yank in front of you and fill that spot. Now I am not saying that is safe or that it's correct but that is what will happen if you leave that much of a gap here.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
This must be more of an East coast thing. I just dont see an issue out here where Japanese cars are the norm. The only vehicles that get "no respect" are the beaters driven mostly by illegals way under the speed limit. Otherwise, lane discipline is the key. I'll stay out of the #1 (left) lane, but dont pass me on the right while Im trying to get out of your way! Its mostly jacked up late model trucks with tinted windows doing that. I normally drive 5-10mph over, but it varies with traffic/weather conditions.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Virtual
Speed is distorting your view of safety. Explain it to me. Why you need to stay that close at highway speeds?
Because there is no reason not to. Leaving a 1/4 mile of space between you and the next car just clogs the roadways.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:51 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
^ This is a Texan. People here do not leave that much space between cars on the highway. It's almost impossible unless you are driving in the middle of the day, very late at night, or on a Sunday morning. If you drop back from the car in front of you, someone else will jump in between. Sometimes 2 people, or a car and a motorcycle. I-10 from San Antonio to Houston is the WORST for tailgating - it's mostly a 4-lane, and the fast lane is bumper-to-bumper, so if you come up on an on-ramp, and you're in the slow lane (that means at least 70 m.p.h, the fast lane is up to 90 or so), you have nowhere to move to in case someone is in your lane. VERY dangerous road at most times of the day and night. Sunday nights coming back to Houston are really bad.

Texans are really bad on the highway. Beware.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:37 AM
5 Year Member
(left)| not my lane unless passing someone in the middle lane| (middle)|my speed/passing lane (speed = 65ish~mph)| (right)|speed limit is 55mph I'll go 60ish~mph| If I'm in the middle or left lane I merge right when I see someone coming up fast. I love driving fast, but it's not worth the tickets.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by baylorbro
Because there is no reason not to. Leaving a 1/4 mile of space between you and the next car just clogs the roadways.
Not to hop in on the right/wrong of this but... I was math major and I gotta correct this... 1/4 mile (as I'm sure you are exaggerating) would be about 12-15 seconds back from the person in front of you. 2 seconds back is about 175' at 60mph.

I do ask that people stay back and have a little more respect. Remember someone else has kids in that car you are about to rear-end.

To Mr. Tailgator/GTFOof my way or I'll tailgate you, I'd request for those of us who have kids that you don't tailgate. Flash your High Beams/lights as you approach instead of tailgating. That works just fine for me and the majority of people do move over (unless they have Quebec or CT License plates - don't know why but this seems to be the case)

I'm not sure how many people out there will do this but FYI, if you tailgate a white Fit in VT, or I see you tailgate anyone else, you will see me calling the police. My son IS more important than you or anyone else... Period!

I grew up in NJ where the mentality was "if the car fits, I'll put it there" and used to drive that way too. It's tough because if you leave the 2 second gap someone will shorten that distance by fitting their car in between and with the number of vehicles in NJ, it'll take you much longer to get anywhere. That said, it doesn't hurt to try.

~SB

Old 05-29-2010, 08:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by squidmonkey
(left)| not my lane unless passing someone in the middle lane| (middle)|my speed/passing lane (speed = 65ish~mph)| (right)|speed limit is 55mph I'll go 60ish~mph| If I'm in the middle or left lane I merge right when I see someone coming up fast. I love driving fast, but it's not worth the tickets.

That's the way I learned to drive about 35 years ago...unfortunately almost NO ONE still uses those rules. Here in Texas, all 3, 4, or 5 lanes are considered fair game for anyone speeding, and most people switch lanes at will to try and get around anyone in their way. I have been going the speed limit in the middle lane and had people pass me on BOTH sides like I'm standing still. And on I-10, there is NOWHEE to go when the "fast lane" is bumper-to-bumper, so if someone comes up on you fast, there's nothing you can do.

Driving in Houston, and most of Texas, is not for the faint of heart. The speed limit is just a low number, usually people go at least 10 mph over that and frequently 20 mph or more. Trust me, I do not drive like a grandma, but I can't keep up with the lead feet.

p.s. The toll roads here are the WORST for speeding, I guess people think if they pay to drive on a road, they can go as fast as they want to.

Last edited by Juliane; 05-29-2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by Hootie
I want some missile balloons

Old 05-29-2010, 04:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
Not to hop in on the right/wrong of this but... I was math major and I gotta correct this... 1/4 mile (as I'm sure you are exaggerating) would be about 12-15 seconds back from the person in front of you. 2 seconds back is about 175' at 60mph.

I do ask that people stay back and have a little more respect. Remember someone else has kids in that car you are about to rear-end.

To Mr. Tailgator/GTFOof my way or I'll tailgate you, I'd request for those of us who have kids that you don't tailgate. Flash your High Beams/lights as you approach instead of tailgating. That works just fine for me and the majority of people do move over (unless they have Quebec or CT License plates - don't know why but this seems to be the case)

I'm not sure how many people out there will do this but FYI, if you tailgate a white Fit in VT, or I see you tailgate anyone else, you will see me calling the police. My son IS more important than you or anyone else... Period!

I grew up in NJ where the mentality was "if the car fits, I'll put it there" and used to drive that way too. It's tough because if you leave the 2 second gap someone will shorten that distance by fitting their car in between and with the number of vehicles in NJ, it'll take you much longer to get anywhere. That said, it doesn't hurt to try.

~SB
Oh my goodness, not the precious cargo line, please. Everyone in the car is precious cargo, not just the kids. I love kids and I love my daughter, but the precious cargo thing really annoys the crap outa me. I don't give you any more road respect just because there's a kid on board. Kids or not, everyone has my full respect. And when you pick up your cellphone to call in a TAILGATER, keep in mind that's even more dangerous to you and your passengers. I have a feeling you don't really do that and it's just emotion talking.

Here in NY it's much the same thing regarding the roads. People are up your ass all the time. Flashing people out of the way usually starts a road war faster than getting the person to move. Either that or they get their back up and slow down even more on you. Left lane morons doing the speed limit [or under] can't be helped, imo. They're idiots for sure and they cause all kinds of unsafe driving to get around them, but there seems to be an endless supply of them regardless. I simply pick a safe time to pass them and do so, looking in the rear view pitying the next person that gets stuck behind them. And the real kick in the ass is when you finally do get around them and pass them, THEY MOVE OVER ANYWAY! Ass wipes! The same can be said for right lane drivers on the highway who just drive there for the hell of it. Who in their right mind drives the entrance/exit lane just to be there with no need to do either? Who, WHO I ask? Morons!

So I get no respect no matter what car I'm driving. It's not even a question of respect really. It's a matter of deplorable driving skills. The roads are simply full of adults who can't drive for shit and kids who think they can, but are one wrong move away from screwing YOU over. Driving the speed limit and not tailgating does not a good driver make, believe me. Lots more to the equation than just that. And as a reality dose, I can and have been a moron too. No one hasn't along the way. I have to keep my emotions in check all the time out there. Most times I do fine, but sometimes I'm screaming in the car, sometimes I find myself riding up and nudging an idiot [not literally], and sometimes, yes I admit, I'm the moron asshole at the moment. It's either deal with the whole mess the best way you can, or wind up in real confrontation and jail. It's that bad here. And now that it's summer- motorcycles. Don't even get me started.

Dan

Old 05-29-2010, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
I don't think I tailgate, I know I don't, and at the same time there is no reason for me to leave a 2 car length. About 1 - 1 1/2 will do. I don't drive like an asshole, I just get places faster.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
Oh my goodness, not the precious cargo line, please. Everyone in the car is precious cargo, not just the kids. I love kids and I love my daughter, but the precious cargo thing really annoys the crap outa me. I don't give you any more road respect just because there's a kid on board. Kids or not, everyone has my full respect. And when you pick up your cellphone to call in a TAILGATER, keep in mind that's even more dangerous to you and your passengers. I have a feeling you don't really do that and it's just emotion talking.

Here in NY it's much the same thing regarding the roads. People are up your ass all the time. Flashing people out of the way usually starts a road war faster than getting the person to move. Either that or they get their back up and slow down even more on you. Left lane morons doing the speed limit [or under] can't be helped, imo. They're idiots for sure and they cause all kinds of unsafe driving to get around them, but there seems to be an endless supply of them regardless. I simply pick a safe time to pass them and do so, looking in the rear view pitying the next person that gets stuck behind them. And the real kick in the ass is when you finally do get around them and pass them, THEY MOVE OVER ANYWAY! Ass wipes! The same can be said for right lane drivers on the highway who just drive there for the hell of it. Who in their right mind drives the entrance/exit lane just to be there with no need to do either? Who, WHO I ask? Morons!

So I get no respect no matter what car I'm driving. It's not even a question of respect really. It's a matter of deplorable driving skills. The roads are simply full of adults who can't drive for shit and kids who think they can, but are one wrong move away from screwing YOU over. Driving the speed limit and not tailgating does not a good driver make, believe me. Lots more to the equation than just that. And as a reality dose, I can and have been a moron too. No one hasn't along the way. I have to keep my emotions in check all the time out there. Most times I do fine, but sometimes I'm screaming in the car, sometimes I find myself riding up and nudging an idiot [not literally], and sometimes, yes I admit, I'm the moron asshole at the moment. It's either deal with the whole mess the best way you can, or wind up in real confrontation and jail. It's that bad here. And now that it's summer- motorcycles. Don't even get me started.

Dan
If you check my Sig... The Parrot takes care of my calling needs so I don't have to "pick up" my cell phone to call, and yes... If I see someone doing something dangerous, I do call it in. I also pull over if I'm in an area which could be dangerous during the call - it's also easier for the 911 operator to understand you if you are stopped and the connection is reliable. People Tailgating/driving erratically, People who blow their grass/shovel snow out into the road, farm trucks without a cover letting silage blow everywhere, I'll call as these all create dangerous situations and are due to laziness/irresponsible behavior. No I don't call every time I see any little infraction as I don't intend to be a pest but I do call when something needs to be said.

As far as the precious cargo, yes, everyone is precious, but my family to me is more precious than people who obviously don't care about others. There are morons out there,(smoking with their kids in the car, driving without seatbelts - or their kids without them) and it's a shame but I do think anyone who puts my family in danger has less of a right to be on this planet then my family does so therefore, my cargo IS more precious.

As far as the road littered with bad drivers, here we agree. People who don't use their turn signals (or use them after they are almost ready to/are turning, tailgaters (yes tailgaters are bad drivers a the do not provide enough space to adequately stop in an accident), people who drive slow in the passing lane, those that don't pull over when someone is coming up behind them, etc... do not deserve to be on the road.

As for the flashing of lights, doing it right behind them... definite instigation for Road Rage... doing it 1/4 mile back as note that you are coming through, never had a problem with it. I wish people would adopt how many areas of Europe do it. Kick your left blinker on in the left lane and ride with it on... means you are coming through and the person in front of you should pull over. Worked extremely well while I was in Sicily.

~SB

Old 05-29-2010, 07:49 PM
I noticed the OP is from Boston, about 40 miles north of Providence, where I live...and I have to say I notice the very same behavior in other drivers.

When I'm driving down the street where the speed limit is say, 35, and I'm watching someone gauge the distance between my car and hitting them if they pull out in front of me, 99% of the time they try to make it. I feel like this is pretty endemic in New England. People try to 'make the light', get out in front of you, go around you on the illegal side to pass when you're stopped waiting to make a turn, etc.

It is almost impossible here during the morning commute to maintain what I would consider a constant distance between you and the car in front of you. If you leave too much room, someone will just cut you off.

I came from a large, dark, almost-always-immaculately sparkling Volvo station wagon to the Fit and other drivers still pulled this sh** daily with me. I will say, however, that it is slightly worse with the Fit, as if I couldn't really be serious and should just get out of THEIR way...

Nope. If I have the right of way, that's what's gonna hold up if there's an accident. And with traffic so bad, plenty o' witnesses...

I feel like people here are checking out the car and deciding whether they can avoid to replace it if they hit it. Insurance is expensive here and accidents common, but people still push the envelope every day. I'll never understand it.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
Life seems cheap to people these days. I don't think they are actually calculating the dollar amount, it just seems that people don't value their lives or the lives of others as they should. Some of them are driving drunk, or high on drugs, but many are just doing life with their eyes half-open.

God help us all.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dayzeedawg
I want some missile balloons
Me too! I can just imagine the looks I'd get! Especially if I drove around NASA....

Old 05-29-2010, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by cmj912
I noticed the OP is from Boston, about 40 miles north of Providence, where I live...and I have to say I notice the very same behavior in other drivers.

When I'm driving down the street where the speed limit is say, 35, and I'm watching someone gauge the distance between my car and hitting them if they pull out in front of me, 99% of the time they try to make it. I feel like this is pretty endemic in New England. People try to 'make the light', get out in front of you, go around you on the illegal side to pass when you're stopped waiting to make a turn, etc.

It is almost impossible here during the morning commute to maintain what I would consider a constant distance between you and the car in front of you. If you leave too much room, someone will just cut you off.

I came from a large, dark, almost-always-immaculately sparkling Volvo station wagon to the Fit and other drivers still pulled this sh** daily with me. I will say, however, that it is slightly worse with the Fit, as if I couldn't really be serious and should just get out of THEIR way...

Nope. If I have the right of way, that's what's gonna hold up if there's an accident. And with traffic so bad, plenty o' witnesses...

I feel like people here are checking out the car and deciding whether they can avoid to replace it if they hit it. Insurance is expensive here and accidents common, but people still push the envelope every day. I'll never understand it.
California's vehicle code defines a headlight flash and brief tap of the horn as the polite way to ask a vehicle to move right.

As far as the "precious cargo," I am indeed more sympathetic to the plight of children. An idiot behind the wheel? He's taking his life into his hands (or her as the case may be). The adult passengers? They have a choice of whether to enter the car. There are certainly drivers with whom I will not ride due to their callous or careless behavior on the road. But kids? They can't help being born to douchebags.

FWIW, the only safe way to handle a tailgater, if pulling over and letting them on by is not an option, is to slow down. You want a larger cushion of space in front of you in case the need for an emergency stop comes up - you must be able to not only stop in time, but do it in a gradual enough fashion that you aren't subsequently rear-ended and sandwiched into the vehicle or obstacle ahead.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
^ That technique might really get you shot here. Unless your wife is having twins in your car, NO ONE would honk and flash just to get people to move over.

Quick Reply: Can I get some road respect please?!?