2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Exhaust advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by kevinkidstar138
My opinion goes to ways on this one...i have sold used parts so part of me says yes because i would like to see the dude get the sale and the other half says just save up the 150 difference and get both parts brand new, theres nothing better then working in a brand new part, the smell the tone change, etc.
well for 500 shipped i think i might just go with the set up.. i mean i doubt ill have problems.. do you? and how long are exhaust sytems supposed to even last?

Old 07-01-2010, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
Have you seen pics of it? Is it dented anywhere, scraped up (not that this will cause harm, but some people are anal about things like that) or in really good condition and not just by word of the seller?

Old 07-01-2010, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
Have you seen pics of it? Is it dented anywhere, scraped up (not that this will cause harm, but some people are anal about things like that) or in really good condition and not just by word of the seller?
i told him i would buy it after he sent some more pics.. the pics posted made it look pretty good. he said he put his car on jacks and polished it once a month.. idk if thats bs or not but if it isnt then im assuming its in nice condition. + rep btw for good advice

Old 07-02-2010, 05:51 AM
5 Year Member
take off the muffler and see if you like how it sounds with just a resonator. I think it sounds great. If you like it, just get a straight pipe axel back.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
take off the muffler and see if you like how it sounds with just a resonator. I think it sounds great. If you like it, just get a straight pipe axel back.
you mean take off just the stock muffler? do you think it would sound as nice as with the t1r b-pipe & hks ab combo? and are there any brand name axle back straight pipes rather than having to go to a muffler shop or could a muffler shop make one where there arent any welds required.. strictly bolt on?

Old 07-02-2010, 03:04 PM
5 Year Member
Just take off the stock muffler when you have extra time, should only take 5 min only 2 bolts. It sounds great!!! Deeper and less 'farty' than any exhaust i've heard yet. a muffler shop can make you a straight pipe
for less than 100 that has a flange so you just bolt it in and keep your stock muffle in the basement.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:06 PM
Alright well this is what it boils down to.. I have taken off my muffler and am contemplating going with just a straight pipe for around $100 or getting the t1r bpipe & hks axleback for $500.. I really need some advice asap on wether you think it is truely worth the extra 400 to gain more sound? or would i gain a different sound.. heres the video of my fit with no muffler

YouTube - Honda Fit Exhaust w/ K&N CAI but no muffler

Old 07-02-2010, 09:38 PM
5 Year Member
I had a muffler shop fix me up with a 2 1 /2" axle back pipe with a short glass pack muffler almost 4 years ago for about $75 or $80.... It deeper low pitch sound than a straight pipe but is not as quiet as an HKS. I prefer to only spend big bucks when the return is big power or handling improvement.... Good sound can be gotten cheap.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I had a muffler shop fix me up with a 2 1 /2" axle back pipe with a short glass pack muffler almost 4 years ago for about $75 or $80.... It deeper low pitch sound than a straight pipe but is not as quiet as an HKS. I prefer to only spend big bucks when the return is big power or handling improvement.... Good sound can be gotten cheap.
what is a short glass pack muffler? vs a straight pipe atleast. and and id rather have louder than quieter if you know what i mean. and thanks for the advice, i think i might just have to cancel my order for the bpipe and axle back.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
A glass pack muffler is a straight through muffler 3 1/2" to 5" in diameter from 10" to 36" long, sold and mounted at muffler for longer than I have been legally driving. A large pipe and muffler will have a lower pitched sound and not piss off other drivers as much as a pipe alone..... You will still be heard but the sound will be pleasant.... I had to get a larger diameter mid pipe and much larger straight through muffler to go with other performance modifications but the axle back and muffler is going to be put together at the same muffler shop that did my last one.

Last edited by Texas Coyote; 07-02-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:19 PM
A glass pack muffler is a straight through muffler 3 1/2" to 5" in diameter from 10" to 36" long, sold and mounted at muffler for longer than I have been legally driving. A large pipe and muffler will have a lower pitched sound and not piss off other drivers as much as a pipe alone..... You will still be heard but the sound will be pleasant.... I had to get a larger diameter mid pipe and much larger straight through muffler to go with other performance modifications but the axle back and muffler is going to be put together at the same muffler shop that did my last one.
so when you say lower pitch do you mean a deeper growl or more muffled/silenced? and yea i think right now all im going to do is cai & exhaust. so i wont need larger piping. so i guess ill go to the muffler shop and see about the glass pack.. btw if its a 5" diameter would i loose flow or back pressure for being too big? and do you mean the tip is going to be 5"?
+rep for good advice.. thank you!

Old 07-02-2010, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
The muffler shop can weld a pipe as big as 2 1/2" to the muffler and mounting flange and none of it will be visible unless you are under the car The can weld an exhaust tip on to the end of the muffle or just a straight piece of pipe you can spray with hi temp paint.... Get the tip at an auto parts store like Auto Zone or Pep Boys because they are costly at muffler shops as are their JDM looking stainless steel mufflers..... Instead of snap crackle pop the sound will be more like a roar... Think of a well muffled Harley compared to a 2 stroke dirt bike.... The longer the muffler the less noise you will hear inside the car at highway speeds but it will sound a lot different and louder than stock..... Keep the stock pipe and muffler in case you ever want to change back for some unknown reason, like to sell the car to an old woman or to a girl that wants to be or is an librarian..... The money you save can go toward lighter wheels or performance springs if you are into getting something like that in the future. You will have less back pressure and should feel some difference... A 2 1/2" I D Muffler will have a 4" outside diameter and work well.

Last edited by Texas Coyote; 07-02-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:44 AM
5 Year Member
I just dont get how a 1.5l with just a resonator can sound so much better than any of the other I4s with expensive aftermarket catbacks... I think its hilarious!

Old 07-03-2010, 02:17 AM
I just dont get how a 1.5l with just a resonator can sound so much better than any of the other I4s with expensive aftermarket catbacks... I think its hilarious!
its dat
i guess you watched the video?

Old 07-03-2010, 02:27 AM
also +rep for lyon for saving me 400 by giving me the suggestion.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:31 AM
5 Year Member
Are you referring to a straight through glass pack as a resonator?.... I have a resonated down pipe on my car now and it is a straight through no baffle affair, the catalytic converter are straight through and the muffler shop owner where I do business says it works like a resonator besides doing what it is supposed to do.... Looking at the posted mid pipes and prices I am surprised.. My header (used), down pipe, mid pipe (all Megan) Aero Turbine 2540i + muffler shop fabricated mid to muffler pipe will come to a total price less than $650.... It will be loud but not in an obnoxious way until maybe 7000 RPM... If it does turn out too loud I will have to spend another $150 for a 61mm Apexi exhaust control valve to adjust the volume from the driver seat.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:42 AM
5 Year Member
Are you referring to a straight through glass pack as a resonator?.... I have a resonated down pipe on my car now and it is a straight through no baffle affair, the catalytic converter are straight through and the muffler shop owner where I do business says it works like a resonator besides doing what it is supposed to do.... Looking at the posted mid pipes and prices I am surprised.. My header (used), down pipe, mid pipe (all Megan) Aero Turbine 2540i + muffler shop fabricated mid to muffler pipe will come to a total price less than $650.... It will be loud but not in an obnoxious way until maybe 7000 RPM... If it does turn out too loud I will have to spend another $150 for a 61mm Apexi exhaust control valve to adjust the volume from the driver seat.
I meant with just the stock resonator in the b pipe and no muffler at all. Only problem is that on the GE is the exhaust heat will melt a body plug under the rear seat and leak exhaust into the cabin if you don't get a straight pipe fab'd up at a muffler shop.

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 07-03-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:02 PM
so i got it done! basically this is what they did. they sawzalled the original flange off of the muffler and welded it to a 2-1/4" glass pack which they bolted on and mounted. they told me i could buy a like $50 tip but i was like fuck that so the chopped off my orinial tip and part of the pipe and mounted that to the other end of the glass pack. i decided to go with the glass pack over the straight pipe to give me a little more back pressure. and its black btw.. anyways total cost with welds,parts,and labor $78

Old 07-03-2010, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TFREEfit
so i got it done! basically this is what they did. they sawzalled the original flange off of the muffler and welded it to a 2-1/4" glass pack which they bolted on and mounted. they told me i could buy a like $50 tip but i was like fuck that so the chopped off my orinial tip and part of the pipe and mounted that to the other end of the glass pack. i decided to go with the glass pack over the straight pipe to give me a little more back pressure. and its black btw.. anyways total cost with welds,parts,and labor $78
How is the sound?

Old 07-03-2010, 01:35 PM
How is the sound?
it sounds decent.. not as loud as i wanted but i guess itll do. do you think it would sound alot better if i added just the t1r bpipe? currently it has a deeper sound but more muffled.. and not as much crackling as it did without the muffler..

Quick Reply: Exhaust advice