2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Harsh 1-2 shift with manual

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
Harsh 1-2 shift with manual

When doing a WOT run, I can't get the 1-2 shift to be smooth without a shock to the driveline. I've been driving a MT for 14 years and never had this problem.

Is it the clutch delay, or am I being a little too fast and furious with my upshifts and pedal work? I'm not sure I could even emulate this in any of my past cars no matter how hard I tried.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member
how many miles on the car? It could be that things are still breaking in.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:52 PM
most likely the rev hang...

Old 05-25-2010, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
It has about 14k miles on it. Bought it used.

The clutch is a lot quieter with the throwout bearing engaged though. All cars do this to some extent, but I noticed it's about as loud as my old tdi at idle.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dela
most likely the rev hang...
I'm pretty good at dealing with the rev hang in normal shifting, as it can be tuned out with your foot pretty good, and my last car had the same thing. Could it be that the rev hang is not letting me get back on the power though? Like a delay in the throttle? I'm talking about drag racing shifts here. Hard and fast. Not something I do regularly, but the clunk make me uneasy when it happens. In all other conditions, it works as expected.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:05 PM
Like previously mentioned its probably the Rev hang

Old 05-26-2010, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by hayden
When doing a WOT run, I can't get the 1-2 shift to be smooth without a shock to the driveline. I've been driving a MT for 14 years and never had this problem.

Is it the clutch delay, or am I being a little too fast and furious with my upshifts and pedal work? I'm not sure I could even emulate this in any of my past cars no matter how hard I tried.
User awptickes replaced his MC that apparently houses a clutch delay valve. Read here (post #22 of that thread)

Old 05-26-2010, 10:44 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah, I've been watching that thread. I won't be touching anything in the system like that until the warranty has expired though.

Has anyone else noticed this clunk? That's the odd part about this thread. I promise, it's not a reflection on your driving to say so. I buy a lot of cars, so it's not like I don't have any point of reference. It's embarrassing when giving test rides.

Mind you, I've only tried this twice in one month, and the likelihood of more drag race shifts will diminish per month of ownership. I just want to make sure nothing is wrong.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
Has anyone else noticed this clunk? That's the odd part about this thread. I promise, it's not a reflection on your driving to say so. I buy a lot of cars, so it's not like I don't have any point of reference. It's embarrassing when giving test rides.

Mind you, I've only tried this twice in one month, and the likelihood of more drag race shifts will diminish per month of ownership. I just want to make sure nothing is wrong.
Yes I notice this clunk when going from 1st to 2nd as well (almost like a grind but not like when you don't have the clutch down all the way).

It's as if the path the shifter takes when going from 1st to 2nd isn't a straight line.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:58 AM
5 Year Member
The shifter is smoother on mine, it's just when I get back on the gas and let out the clutch in 2nd that it occurs. I suppose with a LOT of finesse, it could be smooth, but I'm thinking that it can't be done too quickly.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:00 PM
The shifter is smoother on mine, it's just when I get back on the gas and let out the clutch in 2nd that it occurs. I suppose with a LOT of finesse, it could be smooth, but I'm thinking that it can't be done too quickly.
I haven't done the full-out "drag" style run in the Fit, but any quick shifting (especially the 1-2 shift) is not easy in a GE. Like you I have been driving standard shift vehicles for around 15 years and none of my other previous vehicles have been even remotely hard to perform a smooth 1-2 shift, even under close to- or full-throttle. The rev hang is part of the issue, but perhaps the synchros can't keep up in the GE? I find the smoothest shift involves some waiting around...

There was a review on Edmunds long-term GE Fit that noted similar issues with respect to shifting too quickly.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member
I think it has alot to do with how short 1st gear is and how long 2nd gear is, the RPMs drop too much so it's tough for a smooth transition. I'd recommend getting back on the throttle a little bit earlier and seeing if that helps. Also, it's VERY easy to chirp 2nd gear and it's probably best to chirp it too to get a little bit of a jump and to try and get the rpms up sooner, just my two cents

Old 05-26-2010, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by accordguyintake
I'd recommend getting back on the throttle a little bit earlier and seeing if that helps.
I've been thinking about it, and this is the conclusion I've come to as well. I don't like doing this to the car, but I'll give it a whirl next time. I take it to redline at least once every few days or more, but just relax on the shifts. Haven't launched the car yet though, and probably never will. I don't think I even launched my Mazdaspeed with the LSD when I had it.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
on the fit, launching feels like a waste of time... hahaha i try to do clean ones at 3k and it skips about 3 times then bogs... weee!

Old 05-26-2010, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by RandomSkratch
It's as if the path the shifter takes when going from 1st to 2nd isn't a straight line.
My wife spotted this when she first drove it after I added the short shifter...I don't know if the short shifter exaggerated it or she was just thinking about it more...

But she said it felt like 2nd was back and a little to the right instead of straight back.

And I found that pulling in that direction did make the shift a little more consistent.

Thought overall, (I think due to the rev hang), I still often don't get a smooth 1-2 shift.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:06 PM
5 Year Member
i think its the car. even tho i'm a newbie at driving manual, i find that whenever i do a quick shift, the clunk occurs or that its not a smooth shift if I shift slowly.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:11 AM
5 Year Member
1-2 just take your time. Let off the clutch smoothly and slowly. being gentle with the clutch and gas engagement is key for smooth driving

also, try adding a little more gas then you "feel" is needed and start on the gas earlier, this helps me sometimes

Old 05-27-2010, 01:26 AM
5 Year Member
This is my crazy explanation..... Your motor mounts are winding to the max causing the clunking sound.... The best fix is lighter wheels and tires.... I told you it was crazy but it fixed my car and even supercharged and getting down hard no tire hop or winding up the motor mounts..... The stock wheel/tire combination is way to heavy and is the cause of your problem.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
The harsh shift happens on my GD as well. The culprit in my case is pedal work that's too fast for the transmission. On a hustled 1-2 shift, clutch release timing is critical - or else you risk the gnashing sound of gear teeth

Old 05-27-2010, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
This is my crazy explanation..... Your motor mounts are winding to the max causing the clunking sound.... The best fix is lighter wheels and tires.... I told you it was crazy but it fixed my car and even supercharged and getting down hard no tire hop or winding up the motor mounts..... The stock wheel/tire combination is way to heavy and is the cause of your problem.
It feels exactly like the motor whipping around. So, the logic in this, is the clunk goes away since getting that mass rotating in the wheels again is not quite the same as the resistance added by grip between the tires and the road? I can buy that. Reminds me of what you experience in mountain biking with lighter wheels. Even though grip is the same between the two configurations, it is easier to apply torque to the ground, and more quickly.

Last edited by hayden; 05-27-2010 at 09:51 PM.