2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Modified Fit vs Subaru Legacy

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 09:35 PM
Modified Fit vs Subaru Legacy

As the title says...I had some friendly fun with Legacy tonight. I kept off a dude in an 07ish Subaru Legacy trying to pass me up. I really doubt it was a GT just because he wasn't gaining on me. I think it was the 2.5L 170hp version not the 243 hp version. I couldn't imagine the Fit being able to hold off a turboed beast.
We were at a light turning left (double turn lane) He was right behind me. I put it in S mode. We were on the outside turn lanes and the light turned green. I took off and he was right behind me and I could tell he was trying pass me. I took the inside lane and he took the outside lane full throttle. Thank goodness for sport suspension and rear sway bar. I of course had the advantage being in front and kept the gap. After the turn I still had a car length on him. Then there was probably a 1/8 mile straight away before the two lanes merge (50 mph road) and the I was still ahead by at least 10' from my rear bumper. The guy seemed a little mad that his awd legacy just got out handled and out run by a Fit but he gave me a little headlight bright flash when he turned right at the next intersection so I think it was in all good fun. I was impressed with the Fit. I never thought the Fit was that fast but I'm pretty happy if it was able to keep off a awd legacy.
I have to admit my car sounded pretty good with the sri screaming. I think I surprised that Legacy owner.

Anybody else have any experience with some other cars?

Last edited by Committobefit08; 05-15-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
Last night I was following my buddy (he drives a 2006 v6 Accord) to go to a party when traffic slowed us down. I know he could drive, but since his Accord was bigger than mine, he couldn't go to the other lanes, so I did. He followed me until we were clear of the slow traffic and that's where I pulled away from him. I drive an auto so I put it into S mode and went to third gear right away. Since he had a v6, I thought he would still catch me and beat my ass but he never did the only time he caught up with me was when we had to stop at a stoplight. From then on, I followed him to the party. When we got there though, he was impressed that my car was 'fast'

Old 05-15-2010, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by j1nNju1c3
Last night I was following my buddy (he drives a 2006 v6 Accord) to go to a party when traffic slowed us down. I know he could drive, but since his Accord was bigger than mine, he couldn't go to the other lanes, so I did. He followed me until we were clear of the slow traffic and that's where I pulled away from him. I drive an auto so I put it into S mode and went to third gear right away. Since he had a v6, I thought he would still catch me and beat my ass but he never did the only time he caught up with me was when we had to stop at a stoplight. From then on, I followed him to the party. When we got there though, he was impressed that my car was 'fast'
Reading your story..I really wonder if that Legacy was a GT (243hp) I know the older V6 accords have 240hp. I use to have a Acura CL-S (260hp) but that thing was big and heavy and didn't handle very good. That guy turned into the subdivision just down the road from me. Maybe one of these days I will find out for sure. Thanks for the story.

Last edited by Committobefit08; 05-15-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
My wife has a 2009 Forester that is a decent car that handles well considering it is top heavy with the tall ride height but it is about as strong as a stock Fit accelerating .... I flew around ramp to get on a highway expecting here to be way behind me and she wasn't all that far.... I was impressed because she drive very slow.... Subarus are cool in there own way but hard to compare to anything else, kind of like the Fit is.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
Reading your story..I really wonder if that Legacy was a GT (243hp) I know the older V6 accords have 240hp. I use to have a Acura CL-S (260hp) but that thing was big and heavy and didn't handle very good. That guy turned into the subdivision just down the road from me. Maybe one of these days I will find out for sure. Thanks for the story.
Hey, no problem. You had a great story too

The thing was, I got smoked on the freeway, mostly because the first part was an uphill and I got stuck on 4th gear

Old 05-15-2010, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by j1nNju1c3
Hey, no problem. You had a great story too

The thing was, I got smoked on the freeway, mostly because the first part was an uphill and I got stuck on 4th gear
Yea the 3.0L,3.2L, and 3.5L Honda/Acura engines are surprisingly fast on the highway. I know my CL Type S was a rocket on the highway. I still think this Legacy was the non turboed version just because I was able to hold him off so well. I have messed with my wife in our TSX and even that little 2.4L engine (200hp) is mighty powerful but I am able to keep up with it barely for a little while at least . I remember back when I had my CL-S I would leave her in the TSX. I miss that 260hp but love having that extra gas money in my pocket and the better handling.

Last edited by Committobefit08; 05-15-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:30 AM
My brothers 350HP+ (Revo Tune) VW GLI, I can keep up thru the top of 2nd gear (5sp MT), then his turbo spools full and its game over for the fit. Still pleasantly surprised.

It takes a lot more than HP to make a car fast, transmission gearing, how fast the engine revs etc... You have to consider the whole package.

With the early vtec the fit has great acceleration off the line, but your not going to win any high speed races.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:17 AM
5 Year Member
... I have to admit my car sounded pretty good with the sri screaming. I think I surprised that Legacy owner.
Hey, CTBF, is there a sticky, a normal DIY or some info on your "custom" SRI? If I missed it somewhere, my apologies.

If I didn't miss anything relating to it, can you give a little more detail on it? Possibly a pic, or some pics? Is it anything like Sid's (the guy with the hideous avatar ) custom [GD] SRI? Any problems or ECU annoyances since installing it? Is it loud only when you want it to be? (if you know what I mean -- some intakes are loud only when you really get down on it) Or is it loud and obnoxious all of the time?

I'm hearing an SRI gives better boost (if any at all) and better gas mileage than a CAI.

Any info at all would be appreciated.

Thanks, bro!

Oh, BTW... great story!

Old 05-16-2010, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by annunC8
Hey, CTBF, is there a sticky, a normal DIY or some info on your "custom" SRI? If I missed it somewhere, my apologies.

If I didn't miss anything relating to it, can you give a little more detail on it? Possibly a pic, or some pics? Is it anything like Sid's (the guy with the hideous avatar ) custom [GD] SRI? Any problems or ECU annoyances since installing it? Is it loud only when you want it to be? (if you know what I mean -- some intakes are loud only when you really get down on it) Or is it loud and obnoxious all of the time?

I'm hearing an SRI gives better boost (if any at all) and better gas mileage than a CAI.

Any info at all would be appreciated.

Thanks, bro!

Oh, BTW... great story!
under 3k rpm you can't even hear the intake.
Love it. Just as good as prm K&N..etc.

Here is the thread showing how to make your SRI.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...e-cai-sri.html

Old 05-16-2010, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
under 3k rpm you can't even hear the intake.
Love it. Just as good as prm K&N..etc.

Here is the thread showing how to make your SRI.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...e-cai-sri.html

If ever my Injen CAI/SRI shits out on me, this will become my 'aftermarket' intake. With my SRI though, sometimes I get wheel spins on 2nd when I almost redline first. Weird eh

Old 05-17-2010, 12:50 AM
5 Year Member
The SRI is better than a CAI I think..... They both are louder than a supercharger with the supplied intake.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:26 AM
yea I was pretty happy with my SRI after this little run. I could definitely tell I had a little more power at full throttle.
Surprised the Legacy driver too

Old 05-17-2010, 11:51 AM
5 Year Member
Automobile manufacturers have been tuning the exhaust sounds to create what a Fit with a SRI conveys to ones emotions for years and have spent a ton of money doing so... I don't really know how much of a power increase a SRI is good for but they do liven things up in the upper regions of the power band and the sound does warm the soul.... All in all it's a good thing that doesn't leave you short of cash like a lot of other things that are pleasurable.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:03 PM
5 Year Member
out handled a new Si coupe and a stock 2002 s4 on a double lane turn getting onto a highway but the caught up on the straight lol im on coilovers tho

Old 05-17-2010, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member
I really like reading about people that know how to utilize the limited power that their cars have and exploit the handling to their advantage instead of insisting that the Fit is so terribly slow.... If I was to list the kinds of cars I have surprised I am sure I would be called a liar.