2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Just bought Fit, looking for ideas

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SyracuseSoldier
So what's the difference from 205/40/17 or 205/45/17? Just not sure what those numbers mean except for the 17.
205 - width of tire in MM
45 - Percentage of the width that makes up the sidewall. (the sidewall will be 92.25mm (205x45%=92.25)
17 - Wheel diameter

by changing the 45 to a 40, you lose 10mm in overall diameter which will throw off the speedo. your outer diameter wants to remain the same. Search for Tire Size Calculator through google and you'll find the one on Miata.net (I believe) that I use.

~SB

Old 05-15-2010, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah--I posted that he look on 1010tires.com earlier.

Guess no one likes my suggestions.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:37 PM
5 Year Member
I love the Tire Calculator! Just showed me that I'm about 2mph slower with my 205/40/17 from stock

But if I get 205/45's I go about .6mph faster than what my speedo says.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
reprogram? I didn't know that either, so if tirerack installs them I still got to reprogram them?
I did some research into TPMS last winter when I was thinking about getting winter tires. The car can only store one set (4) of TPMS sensor ids at once, and there's no way to automatically program it.

Tirerack sells a tool that will let you swap sensor ids called the ATEQ TPMS quickset (ATEQ TPM QuickSet Reset Tool) for around $135.

The only thing negatives when not having the sensors are the annoying TPMS light, and if you have VSA, you won't be able to disable it. And of course you won't be automatically alerted if you run low on air.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Btrthnezr3

your suggestions and assistance are awesome!

Honda in their infinite wisdom made tpms a pain, with the dealer being the only one to be able to register them to the computer. So maybe $50+ each seasonal wheel change. That tool above may work but my tire guy says most of the tools do not work on Honda, so call and find out first.

What I did was put the sensors in my expensive wheels, and with my snow tires on the stock wheels, I used no sensors. TPS light covered with black tape all winter

Last edited by Tork; 05-15-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:02 PM
5 Year Member
Thank you, Tork...you provide awesome stuff as well.

Good advice for that guy up there.

Depending on his snow coverage--he may want to look into the above mentioned tires.
Unless he is also worried about corrosion from salt on the roads hurting his wheel finish--then yea, swap.

But here in TX we don't get much snow--and as such, no need for switching wheels--but I am going to get those tires I mentioned--for those just in case times.

Gonna also get those tires for my wifey next go round.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by j1nNju1c3
I love the Tire Calculator! Just showed me that I'm about 2mph slower with my 205/40/17 from stock

But if I get 205/45's I go about .6mph faster than what my speedo says.
Remember... as you drive, your tires will wear down so I would go with the 45's as they would eventually wear down to be right on and possibly past which would average out over the life of the tire. The 40's [as they wear] will increase the speedo error and never give you an accurate reading - they'll also run your warranty out sooner, (3-4% sooner - FYI,4% of 50K miles is about 2k miles)

Originally Posted by Tork
your suggestions and assistance are awesome!

Honda in their infinite wisdom made tpms a pain, with the dealer being the only one to be able to register them to the computer. So maybe $50+ each seasonal wheel change. That tool above may work but my tire guy says most of the tools do not work on Honda, so call and find out first.

What I did was put the sensors in my expensive wheels, and with my snow tires on the stock wheels, I used no sensors. TPS light covered with black tape all winter
Our altima was the same way with TPMS. If we swapped wheels, it was off to the dealer for a reprogram... I don't know how companies are going to deal with this once VSA is required on all cars (so therefore TPMS will be required) and people (here up north) need to use Winter wheels/tires. That program too from tirerack is looking better and better. I wonder if it works for multiple vehicles or just the one... that would be a racket. (I wonder of a laptop hookup to the computer would allow recalibration as well).

~SB

Last edited by specboy; 05-16-2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:32 AM
I appreciate the response from everyone. I have only one question, so does the new TPM Quickset reset tool ATEQ TPM QuickSet Reset Tool help solve the problem with going to dealer? or does it not work with honda?

Old 05-16-2010, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by Btrthnezr3
Yeah--I posted that he look on 1010tires.com earlier.

I did check it out but I was confused on that whole concept, plus you said 100tires.com before instead of 1010tires.com.

thanks

Old 05-16-2010, 10:42 AM
5 Year Member
Ok I finally bought my 2010 Black Honda Fit Sport today. The first thing I want to get is some wheels. What is the biggest size I can get without any rubbing or sticking out, so I will know exactly when I start looking at some?

I'm looking for black wheels, maybe chrome black.

What else should I do and what does anyone else recommend?
Thanks!
I can't give any better advice than what's already been offered by these forum pros.

Having said that, I do want to thank you for your service... I sleep soundly in my bed at night because of the selfless sacrifices made by those like you.

Don't mean to embarrass you, if I have. I just always make it a point to thank you folks for your service... not many express it, by I always will.

Thanks again... enjoy the ride!

BTW, if you're not really a "soldier," my apologies for going on about nothing!

Another BTW! I saw some quality black chrome wheels not long ago. I've never really been a huge black wheel fan, per se. But I really like the look of quality black chrome (some call them "hyper black") wheels.

Last edited by annunC8; 05-16-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by annunC8

Having said that, I do want to thank you for your service... I sleep soundly in my bed at night because of the selfless sacrifices made by those like you.
thanks, I just got back recently from my third deployment and I decided to buy this car with the money I saved from there.

I'm a big fan of black on black, I haven't seen any hyper/chrome black that I liked yet. I haven't purchase the wheels yet I'm just now figuring out about the TMPS sensors and what I need to do.

Thanks again

Last edited by SyracuseSoldier; 05-16-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
Remember... as you drive, your tires will wear down so I would go with the 45's as they would eventually wear down to be right on and possibly past which would average out over the life of the tire. The 40's [as they wear] will increase the speedo error and never give you an accurate reading - they'll also run your warranty out sooner, (3-4% sooner - FYI,4% of 50K miles is about 2k miles)

~SB
Thanks for the advice! +1 I'll buy the 45's then. To be honest I was getting the 40's because I wanted to decrease the weight, but I guess there was more than just weight saving. Thanks again

Old 05-16-2010, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member
I appreciate the response from everyone. I have only one question, so does the new TPM Quickset reset tool ATEQ TPM QuickSet Reset Tool help solve the problem with going to dealer? or does it not work with honda?
I would call and make sure on that.

thanks, I just got back recently from my third deployment and I decided to buy this car with the money I saved from there.
Thanks again
I wish to say I greatly appreciate your service as well.

Now this is my own little wheel advice......do what suits you best my friend.
But.........
light wheels/tires really help this car a lot, A 16" combo is generally lighter than 17's and Enkei Racing is usually lighter than Enkei Performance. 17's will also ride harsher.
Now if you are going mainly for looks, you cant beat 17's

Old 05-17-2010, 01:17 AM
Originally Posted by Tork
light wheels/tires really help this car a lot, A 16" combo is generally lighter than 17's and Enkei Racing is usually lighter than Enkei Performance. 17's will also ride harsher.
Now if you are going mainly for looks, you cant beat 17's
I really thought of getting the Enkei Racing RPF1 but i'm not really too excited of the style, but I haven't decided YET and It is one of my top choices but still in 17's. If you know of any others then please share, i'm looking mostly just at black rims. I'm hoping to purchase too.

Does anyone with a Black Fit have the black RPF1 so I could see a live pic?

thanks

Old 05-17-2010, 01:50 AM
Banned
I recommend enkei nt03's.......they're sexy

but more expensive than rpf1's

here are mine:

dang i love whoring these wheels out

Old 05-17-2010, 06:59 PM
I have decided on and have ordered the Enkei EDR9 Enkei Wheels : EDR9 (Performance)

Now where can I get some color wheel locks that would go with this? I'm thinking black, orange or red?

Thanks

Old 05-17-2010, 09:06 PM
5 Year Member
I have decided on and have ordered the Enkei EDR9 Enkei Wheels : EDR9 (Performance)

Now where can I get some color wheel locks that would go with this? I'm thinking black, orange or red?

Thanks
Muteki Lugs $50 on ebay!

Old 05-18-2010, 05:56 PM
Just got my wheels in the mail and they're now on. I will try to post pictures tomorrow. How come I didn't get TMPS sensor light to turn on? I have sensors installed in the wheels and I was planning on going to Honda to get them programmed but so far I haven't got any light or beeping, does it take awhile?

Thanks

Next i'm going to get my windows tinted

Old 05-18-2010, 06:13 PM
Just got my wheels in the mail and they're now on. I will try to post pictures tomorrow. How come I didn't get TMPS sensor light to turn on? I have sensors installed in the wheels and I was planning on going to Honda to get them programmed but so far I haven't got any light or beeping, does it take awhile?

Thanks

Next i'm going to get my windows tinted
Looking forward to the pics and the TMPS issue. Tint the rear half heavier than the front - if tinting the front at all. That huge windscreen lays a bunch of light inside. I would go just enough up front to cut the UV. Also consider a strip across the top of the windscreen - keep it easy and not too heavy. Our NYS Trooper's are cool, but the newbe's might jump your case.

One firm salute brother, hat's off to you and your service.

USAF vet 67-71. 28th WEA SQ England. We provided WEA support for our fly boys in NAM. K_C_

Old 05-18-2010, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member
Ok I finally bought my 2010 Black Honda Fit Sport today. The first thing I want to get is some wheels. What is the biggest size I can get without any rubbing or sticking out, so I will know exactly when I start looking at some?

I'm looking for black wheels, maybe chrome black.

What else should I do and what does anyone else recommend?
Thanks!

Biggest we've seen comfortably fitting are 195/45x17 tires on 17x7 wheels with 45 mm offset unless lowered. Then 195/40x17's ditto wheels as long as loweering less than 2"..

Last edited by mahout; 05-18-2010 at 06:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Just bought Fit, looking for ideas