2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

So is heel and toeing with the position of the stock pedals...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 12:48 PM
So is heel and toeing with the position of the stock pedals...

So realistically speaking is heel and toeing possible to do with the current position of the original pedals? Bare-footed.

There are times that I wished I could heel and toe in certain situations. For instance there is a car in front of me that is slowing down and I need to brake. I want to shift from 4th gear to 3rd gear and make use of engine braking and be in a nice gear to accelerate but before I shift to 3rd gear and before the engine is braking I would already hit that car. So instead I wish I could simultaneously brake and shift at the same time. Just one of those things that I wished I could do.

I tried practicing it but I gave up pretty soon. I want to know if it's physically possible to do it with bare feet. I usually don't wear shoes when I drive.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member
i guess it depends how how big your foot is.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:42 PM
I guess its below average.

So far I find it extremely hard to rotate my foot close 90 degrees in relation to my upperleg/body and the hit the gas pedal with my heel. So I was wondering if its just impossible or not.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:50 PM
I can do it just fine with shoes on, but I never tried it in bare feet. I hate driving barefoot, actually!

ETA:
Originally Posted by wilcoholic
So far I find it extremely hard to rotate my foot close 90 degrees in relation to my upperleg/body and the hit the gas pedal with my heel. So I was wondering if its just impossible or not.
Instead of trying to actually use your heel and your toe, try using the sides of your foot.

Last edited by jzerocsk; 05-12-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:31 PM
Funny, I actually hate driving with shoes on. Not comfortable at all.

Are you using stock pedals or did you modified it? I think bare foot is significantly harder though because your foot is smaller and the sides of your foot are softer then the sides of your shoes. So you are basically just pushing the flesh away instead of pushing the pedals down.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:39 PM
I, too, have not tried this barefoot but I can heel-toe with the sides of my feet. "heel-toe" really doesn't accurately describe what ends up happening with your foot.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:43 PM
5 Year Member
Barefoot isn't exactly ideal for H&T IMHO. Ideally you'd be wearing a shoe, a thin-soled shoe at that.

That said, H&T is possible in a GE. For reference I have size-9.5 feet.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member
try getting a nice pair of driving shoes. Goodyear adidas shoes are awesome for normal use and still look awesome walking around. You'll like the heel cup which lets you pivot on the heel without tearing up carpet the sole is nice and communicative. I hate driving barefoot since I started wearing these shoes.

If you get really nuts with it, go for Piloti or Alpinestars, but they look weird for walking around and are uncomfortable for normal use.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:40 AM
5 Year Member
this is something i've been wanting to learn for awhile. I got the rev-matching down smoothly but it seems like everytime i try doing heel-toe i step on the brakes too much and it slows the car down ALOT. or is it suppose to be like that? You have to be going pretty fast to begin with then suddenly shave off a lot of speed?

Old 05-13-2010, 02:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by panda1314
this is something i've been wanting to learn for awhile. I got the rev-matching down smoothly but it seems like everytime i try doing heel-toe i step on the brakes too much and it slows the car down ALOT. or is it suppose to be like that? You have to be going pretty fast to begin with then suddenly shave off a lot of speed?
Yes it's supposed to be like that. This is the reason why H&T is really only good for the track or on a deserted road IMHO, while rev-matching you can do almost anywhere.

In my experience, central to mastering H&T is knowing how your brake pedal acts especially when you push it hard. When you've mastered hard braking, that's when you can learn how to roll the ball of your foot on the brake pedal and blip the throttle with the side of your foot effectively.

A "half-hearted" H&T while you're driving at normal pace just tends to upset the car and cancel any smoothness the maneuver is supposed to bring. My two cents

Old 05-13-2010, 04:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hobbes87
try getting a nice pair of driving shoes. Goodyear adidas shoes are awesome for normal use and still look awesome walking around. You'll like the heel cup which lets you pivot on the heel without tearing up carpet the sole is nice and communicative. I hate driving barefoot since I started wearing these shoes.

If you get really nuts with it, go for Piloti or Alpinestars, but they look weird for walking around and are uncomfortable for normal use.
Puma's Speed Cat lineup is also a notable driving shoe - it's got a thin, hard rubber sole. Basically it's very similar to what some Formula 1 drivers use, but without the fireproof Nomex coating to save on cost. I'd think they're most similar to the Alpinestars shoes.

The Speed Cat design has since transformed into a lot of derivative driving shoe/sneaker models.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:06 AM
I use toe/toe i´m in a I-shift

Old 05-13-2010, 04:46 AM
5 Year Member
yea, any "heeltoe" action I do ends up being more or less turning my foot a tad and tapping the gas with the side. can not physically heel toe..."properly" with or without shoes/sicks/tiny shoes. size 13-14. And yea, learn how the car and peddle/brakes react when hard breaking. out of random instinct I heel toe when I have to stop real quick over just clutch in and slam the brakes. Then just try using the sides of your foot for the gas blip and staying on the brake at a constant pressure. Dunno, just gotta practice.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Heel toe isn't about the angle of your foot but the application of rolling our foot. I've been heel toeing my Fit since I got her. It's great for maintaining power on off ramps so you can merge into traffic.

90degrees is pretty hard unless you have wide hips.

Last edited by Rascal2pt0; 05-15-2010 at 08:13 PM. Reason: wife corrected me