2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Project lighter, faster, stronger...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Thought this was a "Project Fit efficiency..." thread??

Think it's been derailed by short shifters or some such, but I hear ya - if MPG's don't figure in this discussion they don't fit in

Don't wanna tread on the thread. . . specboy I do PM's
K_C_
by all means continue....I guess my sarcasm didn't come across enough...lol

EDIT: Now I see why I used the wrong smiley!

Old 05-25-2010, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
Help me on the ECM part - I'm confused and just getting to my first cup-o-mud
the computer determines mileage by calculating a certain number of revolutions. The car also ONLY knows that 1 revolution of the FACTORY DIAMETER Wheel/tire combo is a certain distance (SAY, X feet - Mom is an algebra teacher and I was a math major... now computer geek). If you change the outer diameter of the wheel, the car is still seeing 1 revolution which it thinks is X Feet but is actually less (with a smaller diameter wheel) or more (with a larger diameter wheel).

Say the circumference of the wheel is 75.4" (Fit sport Stock Diameter). What the computer sees over 1000 revolutions is actually 75,400" or 6283' Drop the aspect ratio by 5 (go from a 185/55 to a 185/50) and you lose 2" in circumference. Drive the same 1000 revolutions and the computer still thinks you went 6283' but you actually only traveled 6092' Go up to a 205/50 and you are a hair over the stock size. but go to a 205/55 and you will have traveled 6516'. All this time, the computer is reading 1000 revolutions which it believes is 6283'

This throws off your speedo, odometer, and your warranty

This is why Trucks that are lifted and have over-sized tires have to have their Speedometers re-calibrated.

~SB

Old 05-25-2010, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by specboy
the computer determines mileage by calculating a certain number of revolutions. The car also ONLY knows that 1 revolution of the FACTORY DIAMETER Wheel/tire combo is a certain distance (SAY, X feet - Mom is an algebra teacher and I was a math major... now computer geek). If you change the outer diameter of the wheel, the car is still seeing 1 revolution which it thinks is X Feet but is actually less (with a smaller diameter wheel) or more (with a larger diameter wheel).

Say the circumference of the wheel is 75.4" (Fit sport Stock Diameter). What the computer sees over 1000 revolutions is actually 75,400" or 6283' Drop the aspect ratio by 5 (go from a 185/55 to a 185/50) and you lose 2" in circumference. Drive the same 1000 revolutions and the computer still thinks you went 6283' but you actually only traveled 6092' Go up to a 205/50 and you are a hair over the stock size. but go to a 205/55 and you will have traveled 6516'. All this time, the computer is reading 1000 revolutions which it believes is 6283'

This throws off your speedo, odometer, and your warranty

This is why Trucks that are lifted and have over-sized tires have to have their Speedometers re-calibrated.

~SB
First off thanks for coming thu for me specboy - sorry to read you wrong bmxman - I'm a bit too literal at times and still trying to get used to this crowd. I came over from the Cadillac Owners forum.

An excellent group, I suggest every one here check them out. One forum group covering all Cadillac owners - I mean ALL. I really came to appreciate the way it's all organized, those guys are on top of it.

So back to the issue at hand - if I up-size my tires I will improve my GPM but the AVG readout will show a lower GPM than the stock tires indicated.

What those numbers will be is something that only a math pro could figure [and I thank you Mom], but am I correct in how I'm seeing it? You really left me behind with that driving the exact same route part BTW but that's ok. And I'm sure there's no tweeking the ECM.
K_C_

Old 05-26-2010, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
First off thanks for coming thu for me specboy - sorry to read you wrong bmxman - I'm a bit too literal at times and still trying to get used to this crowd. I came over from the Cadillac Owners forum.

An excellent group, I suggest every one here check them out. One forum group covering all Cadillac owners - I mean ALL. I really came to appreciate the way it's all organized, those guys are on top of it.

So back to the issue at hand - if I up-size my tires I will improve my GPM but the AVG readout will show a lower GPM than the stock tires indicated.

What those numbers will be is something that only a math pro could figure [and I thank you Mom], but am I correct in how I'm seeing it? You really left me behind with that driving the exact same route part BTW but that's ok. And I'm sure there's no tweeking the ECM.
K_C_
The Driving the same route: On Stock Tires, the same route over a period of time will essentially have the average same number of rotations (distance). when you shrink your tires ccircumference, you increase the number of rotations it takes to get there. The Car will think it is a further distance and you'll use more fuel to get there. (the engine will have to rotate the wheels more over the same distance) This however can be compensated for by chosing lighter wheels. (takes less effort to get the car up to speed/maintain speed.... but requires more rotations... it could potentially balance out... still killing your warranty mileage though)

~SB

Old 05-26-2010, 10:27 PM
Rubber Meets the Road

Originally Posted by specboy
The Driving the same route: On Stock Tires, the same route over a period of time will essentially have the average same number of rotations (distance). when you shrink your tires ccircumference, you increase the number of rotations it takes to get there. The Car will think it is a further distance and you'll use more fuel to get there. (the engine will have to rotate the wheels more over the same distance) This however can be compensated for by chosing lighter wheels. (takes less effort to get the car up to speed/maintain speed.... but requires more rotations... it could potentially balance out... still killing your warranty mileage though)

~SB
Maintain OEM Rolling Radius - what's left.
Choose Design Rolling Radius - based on what's left. Recalculate System Variables. ECU
Weight
Rolling Resistance - ECONOMY
Tire
Tread Width - Footprint
Sidewall - Economy
Wheel - Style
Width
Diameter
Offset

K_C_

Old 05-27-2010, 01:49 AM
5 Year Member
So I'm working on relocating my front license plate, hoping it will improve my cars aero...I go to take off the factory holder and the bracket has scratched a 2" line in my bumper right through the clearcoat and paint
I have never cursed Honda's name so loud. I love black cars but one scratch looks like a damn neon sign!!!!

Old 05-27-2010, 07:11 AM
5 Year Member
Maintain OEM Rolling Radius - what's left.
Choose Design Rolling Radius - based on what's left. Recalculate System Variables. ECU
Weight
Rolling Resistance - ECONOMY
Tire
Tread Width - Footprint
Sidewall - Economy
Wheel - Style
Width
Diameter
Offset

K_C_
Not quite sure what the Q is here. - it's been a long week so far.

~SB

Old 06-10-2010, 02:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hayden
...until next week. ha! You're hooked.

So, an update about our shifters. It appears that there has been a mid-year change with some of the GEs, and h-fit is hard at work on gathering information and getting everything resolved. It was not installation error, as has been confirmed by them with some pics I sent at their request.

Once this gets sorted, I think it will be an awesome mod for the money. From my understanding, the ball joint get's dimpled from the Skunk adapter, but otherwise the result should be the same. Short, direct shifts.

Right now, I just have the aluminum spacers in and highly recommend people pick up a set if they want just that little bit of extra solidity to the stock setup. Gear selection is more precise and direct now. Before, it was like trying to write with a rubber pencil. It's a small improvement, but one that goes a long way in my opinion. Has a more substantial, expensive feel to it now.
hmmm...2 email to H-fit and no response...I guess I'll have to call them!

Old 06-12-2010, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
well got a hold of H-fit...turns out I was typing their email addy wrong...lol
They asked for my address and said they would send out a replacement part ASAP

Old 06-18-2010, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
So true. Losing weight just makes you want to stab the go pedal even more as the car has a bit more acceleration. At least my ton of a right foot believes this is why weight was removed.

I'll never be able to do the hypermiling thing, not even tiny portions of it. The other day I tried the engine off while waiting for a train to pass and at the next long light. Ummmm, no thanks. Unneeded extra stress on the starter motor and more discharging of the battery. I will commend those that can do it, the gas they save will even out with the gas I use. Balance is the key.
lets hope u bought the manual tranny.....

u do not need the battery or starter to start the car

bump starting in 5th, at low speeds is even smoother than the electric starter!!!

Old 06-18-2010, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by hayden
...until next week. ha! You're hooked.

So, an update about our shifters. It appears that there has been a mid-year change with some of the GEs, and h-fit is hard at work on gathering information and getting everything resolved. It was not installation error, as has been confirmed by them with some pics I sent at their request.

Once this gets sorted, I think it will be an awesome mod for the money. From my understanding, the ball joint get's dimpled from the Skunk adapter, but otherwise the result should be the same. Short, direct shifts.

Right now, I just have the aluminum spacers in and highly recommend people pick up a set if they want just that little bit of extra solidity to the stock setup. Gear selection is more precise and direct now. Before, it was like trying to write with a rubber pencil. It's a small improvement, but one that goes a long way in my opinion. Has a more substantial, expensive feel to it now.
if all you want to do is change out the rubber and install the aluminum spacer then you are wasting cash.

all u need to do is use longer mounting bolts and add a nut or 2 or washers between the shifting mechanism and the floor to suit what ever height you wish your shifter assembly to sit at (that's right....you can also increase [or decrease if one wished] the height of the entire shifting mechanism alongside solid shifting action!!)

voila!! solid shifter "bushings" for literally pennies or use stainless for just a few bux or even use titanium hardware for "fuel efficiency" at a cost that is still probably cheaper than buying any kit

Old 06-18-2010, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member
The bolt goes through a sleeve in the rubber part, so it is surrounded. If you were to just put something between the assembly and the bolt holes on the car, it wouldn't change anything (if I am understanding you correctly.) You would need an insert for the bolt to go through, that is also the same diameter as the old bushing, which is exactly what H-fit sells. I have the updated design on there now, and I love it. They still might need to revise the new GE design a little bit, as mine is still touching in 3rd when I push on the gear lever. Very close tolerances. Works fine though, and makes driving a lot easier, besides the more obvious advantages because I can leave my arm on the armrest and just use my wrist to shift.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
ok here are some numbers I have so far:
Stock F spring= 3.5lbs
Stock R spring= 2.4

Eiback Sportline F spring= 4.6
Eibach Sportline R spring= 3.6

Stock F rotor= 10.2
Powerslot F rotor= 10.2

Stock Air intake with mounting hardware= 5.5
I have not had a chance to weight my PRM intake yet.

Stock OEM wheels 16x6 w/ Dunlop SP Sport 7000 A/S 185/65/16= 37.8
Drag DR16 wheels 17x7 w/ Continental Extreme contact 205/40/17= 38.8
Volk CE28N wheels 15x7 w/ Toyo Proxes 4 205/50/15= 29.2

So far I have really only saved weight swapping out wheels. I did gain 31 extra KM`s per tank though once I swapped to lighter wheels and the intake.

Last edited by bmxman; 06-21-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:06 AM
5 Year Member
I took off my stock muffler today and I actually like the sound. It's a lot quieter than I was hoping but I'm guessing the resonator has a lot to do with that. The muffler weighed in at 10.4lbs with exhaust flange and 2 mounting bolts. I ended up putting the muffler back after I took some temperature readings. It was heating the underside of the car quite a bit. I think my plan is to get a custom exhaust made from the cat back. Just straight tubing with a nice tip at the end. This weekend I'm going to take off everything from the cat back and see how the Fit does.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:44 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah I bet it was hot, I was contemplating removing the muffler till my J's order arrives, but after looking at it, the damn exhaust would be dumping right on the rear brake line (rear brakes actually have 2 soft lines each side). So that wasn't going to happen, just wanted to hear how the L15 sounded with less restriction.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
Ok so i contacted H-fit nearly a month ago about my defective Kit...they said they would send out a replacement ASAP! Well the mailman just came today and still nothing. Now I know sometimes things can take a while due to customs but not a small adapter that weighs less than 6oz.

Looks like I have to call H-fit again, but right now I don't have a lot of faith in the company.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:38 AM
5 Year Member
Picked up some Mugen visors today and I saw a set of wheels I must have....the search in on!!

Old 07-16-2010, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bmxman
So I looked around and couldn't really find anyone else doing what I would like to do to my Fit. Recently in an issue of Import Tuner (April 2010) they are testing a 3rd gen Integra and trying to make it more efficient. For those of you that haven't seen the issue, they have cut over 273kgs off the car and gained over 100km more per tank!

I've spent that last 4 years doing this to my 2nd gen Integra and now I would like to do it for the Fit. Now my Fit is the main family car so no safety features will be sacrificed. I'm pretty open to anything else though. I have lots of ideas it's just a matter of finding people/companies that can help. I just want to cut weight and possibly increase power depending on the power to cost ratio.

So far I have lightweight wheels, and have added a K@N drop in filter. I'm working on Titanium springs and full Ti exhaust. I would love to find an under tray and some smaller side mirrors. I thought about lighter seats but I like the Fits versatile seating layout. It's one of the main reasons we bought the car. Anyway any and all ideas are welcome just keep in mind I can't turn this into a race car. The car still has to be able to carry my family in relative comfort.

Hate to be the messenger but you expect too juch from doing so little. Its not that saving 600 pounds (273 kg) in weight won't get you another 60 miles per tank but it will be extremely difficult for you to reduce your Fit weight by even 200 pounds (90 kg) without compromising your family safety. After all, on an Integra that 600 lb is nearly 25% of the weight of the car.
Just isn't there unless you replaced the frame with lightweight aluminum, allsuspension parts with aluminum. and replace the seats with lightweight racing seats. Or you could strip the car and sandblast a couple hundred pounds off and reassemble tho safety is well and truly compromised.

You've got the right idea with lightweight wheels (hopefully < 10 lbs and lightweight tires which are more important), the K&N won't be that much help. but you don't have much working room. Even some aero help womn't be much gain.
Here's a better project thought:
add a couple or more batteries powering an electric motor to the front wheels via the engine flywheel belt; expect to recharge the 12v batteries overnite. eureka its a plug-in hybrid. Before you give up be aware it has been done with a 89 Geo Metro xfI. rAISED MPG FROM 50 TO 60 MPG BUT BEING A MANUAL SYSTEM TOOK A LOT OF DRIVER EFFORT. DO PUT AN AUTOMATIC POWER BREAK ON THE BRAKE PEDAL; THE ELECTRIC MOTOR DOES PROVIDE OPPOSITION TO THE BRAKES IF STILL POWERED.
CHEERS AND GOOD LUCK.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
well yesterday driver side rear window switch stopped working!!! I think I may head to the dealer for my 1st oil change so they can fix all the problems I have accumulated in the last year or so....window switch, gas lid, arm rest...etc.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
I just picked up some Mugen MR5 rims 15x6 w/ 45 offset, Mugen front bumper and Mugen mirror cover. I'm trying to find someone local who sells Odyssey batteries.

Last edited by bmxman; 07-30-2010 at 12:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Project lighter, faster, stronger...