2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Project lighter, faster, stronger...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 07:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bmxman
yeah and common techniques are to really over-inflate the tires and roll through stop signs when hypermiling...doesn't sound like the safest way to drive...lol
Agreed 110% there are a number of people who think that just because they are doing something efficient, that it's safe. "If it's good for the environment, it has to be safe"

I'm in the same boat as 555 fort the hypermiling... the FIT is just too damn fun to drive. I do however use economy techniques when i'm behind someone and have no room to pass (such as letting off the gas a little sooner as I come to a stop or corner where I know the person in front of me will be slowing down). This Net's me about 39mpg right now. I know I could do 40-45mpg if I tried...

~SB

Old 05-22-2010, 09:56 AM
5 Year Member
I commend YOU sir for getting this done quickly before the wifey can put the foot down. I know what you are really up to. LOL Gas mileage.. pfft.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
nice progress, my only suggestion is on the tires, its smaller than stock diameter, which means you would get less mileage, and your goal is to get more

i got more kms per tank with mt heavy 18" with 215/35/18 than my 15" Sir wheels with 205/50/15 cause the little tires had higher rpm's on the highway which wasted more gas

but you should compared after your road trip and see

Old 05-22-2010, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by jookybanana
nice progress, my only suggestion is on the tires, its smaller than stock diameter, which means you would get less mileage, and your goal is to get more

i got more kms per tank with mt heavy 18" with 215/35/18 than my 15" Sir wheels with 205/50/15 cause the little tires had higher rpm's on the highway which wasted more gas

Here's a huge thread on TIRES: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-shoes/14673-tire-questions-sizes-mounting-pressures-any-tire-questions.html

You are concerned with the rolling diameter. Speedo is calibrated to this and MPG's are a factor of it. No single solution just a bit of physics, endless possibilities and personal prefs is huge.
K_C_

Old 05-22-2010, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
oh great I'm just having some bad luck with installs. I opened my H-Fit short adapter kit and became a little worried. The install instructions were completely off. I proceeded anyway taking apart the center console using logic. Then I get the spacers on no problem.

I go to install the adapter and it's far to loose and it's to short for the set allen screws to bite into anything. Only thing I can think of is they sent me a kit for a GD instead? Maybe, I'm not sure I'll have to call them on Tuesday. The spacers do make for a much positive shifter feel though!

Old 05-22-2010, 11:18 PM
5 Year Member
oh great I'm just having some bad luck with installs. I opened my H-Fit short adapter kit and became a little worried. The install instructions were completely off. I proceeded anyway taking apart the center console using logic. Then I get the spacers on no problem.

I go to install the adapter and it's far to loose and it's to short for the set allen screws to bite into anything. Only thing I can think of is they sent me a kit for a GD instead? Maybe, I'm not sure I'll have to call them on Tuesday. The spacers do make for a much positive shifter feel though!
You do have bad luck, I'd be pulling my hair out if I were you!

Old 05-22-2010, 11:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jookybanana

Interesting...so far my speedo is showing better efficiency. I'm only halfway through my tank but I'm averaging 5.5l/100km where as before it was in the 6.5 range. We all know how off the indicator can be though. I'm just going to measure how many km's I get to a tank.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by baylorbro
You do have bad luck, I'd be pulling my hair out if I were you!
Yeah i think I may be a bit spoiled. I have a 92 Integra GSR...the car is so old that most of the quality product manufacturers have worked all the kinks out long ago. The GE is still a new platform, so fitment is going to be off for a while.

I mean how hard is it to make a shift adapter?...lol. I'm thinking they just sent the wrong kit though.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member

Man, I just sat down after installing one of these this evening. Mine didn't quite go all the way on either, but I was able to get the set screws to bit on the main shaft - barely.

My instructions were for the GD also.

Is the bottom hitting the back wall in third? All my gears are solid when I push on them except that one - feels a little rubbery because it's not able to go as far into the gear as the others. It shifts into third and holds the gear, but I'm a little concerned. About to email them.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hayden
Man, I just sat down after installing one of these this evening. Mine didn't quite go all the way on either, but I was able to get the set screws to bit on the main shaft - barely.

My instructions were for the GD also.

Is the bottom hitting the back wall in third? All my gears are solid when I push on them except that one - feels a little rubbery because it's not able to go as far into the gear as the others. It shifts into third and holds the gear, but I'm a little concerned. About to email them.
I didn't end up installing it. I was getting ready for a road trip so I didn't want any problems so far from home. It's definitely not a proper fit though I would take it off and contact H-Fit. I was trying to save a bit of money by not buying the Mugen shifter.
I can be a Mugen whore sometimes I may end up spending close to the same though if i have to send it back and have them re-ship one to me. Then it will have to go through customs and sometimes they can charge hefty duties.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:21 AM
5 Year Member
Well, let's hope it all gets sorted. I can tell you, it's a lot shorter and crisper. Probably because it's not on all the way though. I'm thinking the metal bushings might be enough of an upgrade if this doesn't work out.

The h-fit thread from a while back is full of people with the same problem. I tried banging on it, but it didn't go on any further. I was able to get it to bite into the shaft for sure, and tried my best to get it off or wiggle it after installation and it's certainly not going anywhere. I was surprised at how loose the ball cuff was on the adapter. It could be popped on and off really easily, but once it's locked down into the holder piece, it's not going anywhere.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:53 AM
5 Year Member
OK FF members....I'm still looking for a vented CF hood, Mugen front bumper, CF side mirrors, and an undertray. If anyone has any info or links to share please post them up!

I wouldn't mind some black headlights either

Old 05-24-2010, 10:49 PM
5 Year Member
I have the skunk II shifter, about the same.
I can tell you that the GD and GE shifters are the same as I used the same part # skunks on both cars. So that would not be your issue.
You will not get worse MPG either because of tire size, as it is throttle opening not RPM that determines that (although odometer, speedo could be off a bit)
Great job on your car, very logical too!

Old 05-24-2010, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hayden
I commend YOU sir for getting this done quickly before the wifey can put the foot down. I know what you are really up to. LOL Gas mileage.. pfft.

lol...yeah she came outside before our road trip and all I hear is WTF!!..I just keep walking towards the car and say "get in we're going to be late and don't worry this is all I'm doing to the Fit"

Old 05-24-2010, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by Tork
.... You will not get worse MPG either because of tire size, as it is throttle opening not RPM that determines that (although odometer, speedo could be off a bit)
I don't know Tork, but I've got to disagree with you here. Rolling Radius has a direct effect on MPG's. RPM's are what eat fuel - no
K_C_

Old 05-24-2010, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member
lol...yeah she came outside before our road trip and all I hear is WTF!!..I just keep walking towards the car and say "get in we're going to be late and don't worry this is all I'm doing to the Fit"
...until next week. ha! You're hooked.

So, an update about our shifters. It appears that there has been a mid-year change with some of the GEs, and h-fit is hard at work on gathering information and getting everything resolved. It was not installation error, as has been confirmed by them with some pics I sent at their request.

Once this gets sorted, I think it will be an awesome mod for the money. From my understanding, the ball joint get's dimpled from the Skunk adapter, but otherwise the result should be the same. Short, direct shifts.

Right now, I just have the aluminum spacers in and highly recommend people pick up a set if they want just that little bit of extra solidity to the stock setup. Gear selection is more precise and direct now. Before, it was like trying to write with a rubber pencil. It's a small improvement, but one that goes a long way in my opinion. Has a more substantial, expensive feel to it now.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Originally Posted by Tork
You will not get worse MPG either because of tire size, as it is throttle opening not RPM that determines that (although odometer, speedo could be off a bit)
I don't know Tork, but I've got to disagree with you here. Rolling Radius has a direct effect on MPG's. RPM's are what eat fuel - no
K_C_
Agreed. Changing the outer diameter of the wheel will throw off MPG as you will either be traveling further for every wheel rotation or not traveling as far. This throws off the "Miles" in the Miles Per gallon.

You'd only really notice this if you traveled the exact same path for an extended period of time as the computer wouldn't know the difference, you'd just be filling up sooner.

~SB

Old 05-25-2010, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by specboy
You'd only really notice this if you traveled the exact same path for an extended period of time as the computer wouldn't know the difference, you'd just be filling up sooner.

~SB
Help me on the ECM part - I'm confused and just getting to my first cup-o-mud

Old 05-25-2010, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member
hey now don't start derailing my thread take it to the eco fit forum

Old 05-25-2010, 03:03 PM
hey now don't start derailing my thread take it to the eco fit forum
Thought this was a "Project Fit efficiency..." thread??

Think it's been derailed by short shifters or some such, but I hear ya - if MPG's don't figure in this discussion they don't fit in

Don't wanna tread on the thread. . . specboy I do PM's
K_C_

Quick Reply: Project lighter, faster, stronger...