2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Considering 2010 Fit... Advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Considering 2010 Fit... Advice please!

My previous car was a 2004 Civic Hybrid, which was (just barely) totaled.

So now I'm looking at getting a new car. My ideal car at this point would be a Prius (my father is on his second and loves it), but between the price tag and the recent Toyota recalls, now is not the time to get one. So, my top contenders were a new Fit, Civic, or Mazda3. After test driving those cars over the weekend, I decided the Fit was the way to go: I'm not a huge fan of the cockpit redesign the Civic got in '06, and while the Mazda3 seemed to be a fine car, it just wasn't my style.

But I have a few questions about the Fit that I'd like to ask the Fit-loving public.

First, is it possible to get Cruise Control on the baseline Fit easily? As-is, I'm probably getting a Fit Sport, but it seems like the only feature on the Sport that isn't at least an option on the baseline Fit is the Cruise Control. I mean, I like the darker fabric, and I want a Sport-only color (Blackberry Pearl), but it seems like I could save quite a bit of money by getting a baseline Fit and adding remote entry, USB hookup, and fog lights. (I'd miss map lights, too, but not nearly as much as Cruise Control.)

Second, related question, do the underbody kit pieces and alloy wheels on the Sport actually DO anything, or are they just supposed to look cool?

Third, how much should I value VSA? It's going to be a mandated safety feature in a couple years, which implies it's a good idea, but I'd have to spring for the navigation package to get it. I don't really need a navigation system, and the bluetooth option for the Fit doesn't require it (or even interact with it in any way) the way other Hondas do, so is it worth it for the safety feature?

Fourth, with the bluetooth option, which seems to be just bolted to the roof and spliced to the power line for the map lights, how does one dial out? I haven't found any indication that it's a voice-activated setup. Are the attached-to-the-roof buttons really inconvenient? Does anyone know why honda decided to make bluetooth a separate option on the Fit, rather than integrating it with navigation like the rest of their line?

Fifth, the USB connection originates in the glove box, but I have an iPhone, which means that I don't want to just lock it in the glove box and forget about it, want to easily plug it in and just as easily unplug it when I get out of the car. Is there a space to run a cable out of the glovebox while it is closed? Can I just close it over the cable? What have other folks done for this issue?

Sixth, is there anyone who knows of a way to retrofit the Fit with automatic climate control? That's probably going to be the feature I miss the most from my old civic. I've been driving a rental for nearly 3 weeks and I'm constantly adjusting the heat and fan. I miss being able to just set a knob to 72 degrees let the car do the rest. I'm not a huge fan of the Insight, but this one, seemingly simple feature is pushing me in that direction.

Lastly, how does the Fit measure up against the Insight? I've read the consumer reports data on both of them, but I haven't test driven an Insight.

Last edited by Jaxal1; 05-10-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member
Let me just reply with a few things.

I have a 2009 Fit Sport...I wouldn't give up the sport for a base...because for me, the darker fabric, cruise control and usb port were worth the extra dough. I also got a pretty good deal on mine. The skirts, bumper, spoiler, and alloys just make it look a little, well...sporty, from the lot. I've seen a few really nice modded bases, but to me the Sport looks great as a stock package.

Those factors, convinced me that there was no way I could live with a base.

Also--with the sport, you can get the color you want.

Hope that helps a little. Good Luck!

Old 05-10-2010, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member
Isn't there an AUX port on the front that is for hooking up the iPod? I don't remember since I use a USB stick in the glove box.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by STL_FIT
Isn't there an AUX port on the front that is for hooking up the iPod? I don't remember since I use a USB stick in the glove box.
There is, but seeing as the car actually has a USB port for hooking it up, I'd rather use that if possible than hook extra wires up to the middle of the dash (aux-in for audio and putting a car charger in the cigarette lighter.)

Old 05-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by Btrthnezr3
Also--with the sport, you can get the color you want.

Hope that helps a little. Good Luck!
Your advice does help, and it is sad how true how much something like color can be such a big deal. (I mean, you don't even get to see the color when you're driving it.)

Old 05-10-2010, 07:09 PM
my advice - get a blackberry pearl!

Old 05-10-2010, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by [09]FITBBP
my advice - get a blackberry pearl!
I never thought I'd want a purple car...but that color looks fantastic. (Which is good, because there is no darker metallic shade on the Fit, which is normally the color I go for.)

Old 05-10-2010, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member
You can get a sport A/T for $16K including destination if you look around a bit, and the base strippo is only ~$1k less. The sport adds a lot for that $$... nice wheels, keyless entry, shifter paddles, alarm system, rear spoiler, fog lights, more speakers, USB ipod/MP3 adapter... and probably stuff I've forgotten. The base is a totally different looking car and I wouldn't even consider it.

Climate control? People have looked at the overseas RHD one but they don't make a LHD version from the posts I've read. For me I just dial in the happy spot on the temp control.

Extending that USB cable might be a challenge.. you'd probably want to pass an extension cable back behind the dash and have it come out down below wherever you like it. Maybe you could add the armrest accessory and have it come up there.

There is an aux port on the front of the radio purely for input, but you won't be able to charge and use the deck for control that way.

Last edited by jondotcom; 05-10-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by jondotcom
You can get a sport A/T for $16K including destination if you look around a bit,
Really? The best info I have (Edmunds and Consumer Reports) puts the dealer cost with zero profit at just about $17K (including destination charge). Maybe I just have bad timing: The Civic and Insight both have $750 incentives on them right now and that'll go to the Fit next month. Since my rental runs out this week and my old car now lives in a salvage yard, I don't have the luxury of waiting for the incentive to show up.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jaxal1
Really? The best info I have (Edmunds and Consumer Reports) puts the dealer cost with zero profit at just about $17K (including destination charge). Maybe I just have bad timing: The Civic and Insight both have $750 incentives on them right now and that'll go to the Fit next month. Since my rental runs out this week and my old car now lives in a salvage yard, I don't have the luxury of waiting for the incentive to show up.
You'll want to look at the edmunds prices paid forums and you'll see deals do come along. Try some dealer quotes and talk to some internet departments to see if they have any on special. My first good dealer quote was 16,888, then a few days later they had two 15,988 2010 sport a/ts and I used an incentive coupon (yelp.com) and got 15,738 including destination. This same dealer does the base for under $15k also.

I think honda had some $500 cash thing going on at the time and that may have factored in somehow, but I surely didn't see that cash back.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member
Living on the West Coast you might have more Fits available. For me getting a Fit Sport in the color I wanted involved getting dealer to trade with another dealer for one. For the money- the Sport package offers a lot more. If the dealer has a color you want in his inventory- you may be able to get a better price.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
In my opinion, all the little things add up to make the Fit Sport worth the added cost. Re iPhone, USB flash drives are so cheap (16 gb for $25) these days that you should just copy your iTunes library to a flash drive and keep it permanently in the glove box, leaving the iPhone free to be used whenever and wherever you want.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
We looked at the Base FIT and decided there was too much that we'd miss by not going for the sport. Keyless, Cruise, USB capability, 16" alloys, Integrated fogs 6 (vs 4) speakers Rear Sway Bar, Body Kit with rear Wing.

If you bought a base fit and added the Keyless, cruise, USB, Fogs, & Rear Sway bar,you are looking at probably $700-$800 for decent quality parts (not the Autozone Fog lights etc...) and you still don't have 16" wheels, the color you want, Body Kit/wing, Tweeters, the fogs aren't integrated and... none of what you have done has a factory warranty. Also (worst case scenario) technically, the wiring jobs done could void your warranty if you have electrical problems that tie back to your work.

For $300-$500 in savings, you get only some of the options and none of it warrantied. If you have the money to support adding the extras, put it aside and use that money as and additional part of the down payment on the sport.

~SB

Old 05-10-2010, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
Third, how much should I value VSA? It's going to be a mandated safety feature in a couple years, which implies it's a good idea, but I'd have to spring for the navigation package to get it. I don't really need a navigation system, and the bluetooth option for the Fit doesn't require it (or even interact with it in any way) the way other Hondas do, so is it worth it for the safety feature?

Fifth, the USB connection originates in the glove box, but I have an iPhone, which means that I don't want to just lock it in the glove box and forget about it, want to easily plug it in and just as easily unplug it when I get out of the car. Is there a space to run a cable out of the glovebox while it is closed? Can I just close it over the cable? What have other folks done for this issue?
For the VSA question, you should check out a few previous threads:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...vsa-worth.html
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...xtra-cost.html

For your fifth question, I just use a long ipod cable. The upper glovebox will close on the cable, and the cable is long enough for me to have my iPhone in a cupholder mount beside the steering wheel. Not the cleanest looking setup, but it works and is cheap.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member
The Sport drives a little firmer and harsher because of the wheels and tires. That was pretty evident when I test drove them back to back. I ended up with the Sport anyway because of the USB, the map lights, and I do think it looks better, although that wasn't important enough to me. I probably could have come out fine with a base, but I'm happy with the Sport. I don't know of a way of getting around the glove box door closing on the iPhone. Using a flash drive is a good idea.

I really liked the Blackberry Pearl, btw, and when I bought my Fit (April 2009) the dealer had pretty much every color and combination available. That was the month before C4C began and no one was buying anything. Unfortunately our Mazda is a similar color and we chose not to have another car of that color.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by clicq
For the VSA question, you should check out a few previous threads:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...vsa-worth.html
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...xtra-cost.html

For your fifth question, I just use a long ipod cable. The upper glovebox will close on the cable, and the cable is long enough for me to have my iPhone in a cupholder mount beside the steering wheel. Not the cleanest looking setup, but it works and is cheap.
Thanks for the links! Reading them now...

It's good to hear that the box will close on the cable. In my civic I would plug the phone into the car charger and leave it in my lap, so that wasn't pretty either.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:19 AM

go to truecar.com. It shows you real prices paid in your area and also breaks the sales in your area down to show whether or not you are getting a good deal. It will also give you the lowest prices paid and which dealer sold for that price. Amazing site and what i used when I bought my 2010 SSM Fit Sport last month.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
Actually, if you want a Prius now might be one of the better times to get one. They're not giving them away but given Toyota's recent woes and the illusionary appearance of relatively stable gas prices, you have some leverage dealing with the Dealers.

So I wouldn't assume now isn't a good time to get a Prius. It all comes down to what you want.

Reading your post, it seems you put a priority on some higher end ammenities. The Fit is absolutely a fantastic vehicle, but it has the utilitarian qualities of being the entry level Honda. I hate to advise over the internet, but I'd be afraid that if you bought a FIT you'd soon be missing climate control and other things simply not available...

If it's not a total financial decision, I'm leaning towards giving the advice of going with a Prius and/or another vehicle that has the higher end options you seem to want.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:00 PM
It sounds like price-wise a Fit is go for you. A Prius, even with the current Toyota incentives, will still cost a pretty penny. If the Prius price range is in your favor, I would consider looking into the Nissan Leaf. I am not a fan of buying first-year releases, but the car seems quite promising.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:46 PM
i just bought the sport 2 sundays ago, honestly you should buy the sport. the extra 1000 dollars or so is worth it for everything

the fits an awesome car good luck with purchase

Quick Reply: Considering 2010 Fit... Advice please!