2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Deer + Fit = :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
1. That sucks.

2. If you have a body shop you trust, then NEVER go to the insurance preferred shop. It's not that they do good work. It's that they save the insurance company money. My folks took their Accord to an insurance preferred shop after their rear passenger door got backed into, and they went back 3-4 times. It still isn't 100%, but it's good enough that they can live with it.

3. And you didn't even get any venison out of the deal? WTF? Coulda had good BBQ all summer long at least.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member
I just got the estimate from the repair shop today - a bit over $4500, so mhrivak had the closest guess .

Some positives -- the damage was all above the frame rails, so the car's structure is fine. List of things to be repaired is basically as I suspected, though with the addition of a new windshield washer fluid pump and some of the plastic cowling at the base of the windshield.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:25 PM
Did you have the car towed for convenience or wasn't it driveable? I drive 327 every day and see so many deer I don't even flinch until they're less than 10' from the car.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cargun
Did you have the car towed for convenience or wasn't it driveable? I drive 327 every day and see so many deer I don't even flinch until they're less than 10' from the car.
There was fluid leaking from the car, and the police officer that responded to the accident advised me to have it towed.

Plus, being unable to open the hood, I couldn't check the condition of the engine, so I thought it was better not to risk it.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by HotIron

If you have a body shop you trust, then NEVER go to the insurance preferred shop. It's not that they do good work. It's that they save the insurance company money.
+1 totally agree

adding something though if you have some body shop u can trust, I will suggest ask them to fix up your car with different body kit any way. There are basically not much price difference if you get a body kit or install OEM any way but you need to get a hook up from the body shop.

BTW, really sorry to heard that.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
After about 2 weeks in the shop and $4500, I got my Fit back a few days ago. It looks pretty good -- the paint matches, the panels look positioned correctly -- but if you looked carefully enough, you can probably tell it's been repaired.

I'm definitely glad to have my Fit back .

A summary of the repairs:
  • Hood, hood latch, both hinges
  • Right fender
  • Bumper
  • Right headlight (the most expensive part actually)
  • Right fog light
  • A/C shroud
  • Grille and grille cover (the top plastic piece above the grille)
  • Top and right support pieces in the front around the radiator
  • Windshield washer motor

Old 05-30-2010, 01:25 PM
looks good, looks like your repairs were mainly cosmetic, no major damage to the car structure, hopefully most of the parts they used were brand new...so if you took the car to a reputable shop, you would not notice any repairs

Old 05-30-2010, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by clicq
After about 2 weeks in the shop and $4500, I got my Fit back a few days ago. It looks pretty good -- the paint matches, the panels look positioned correctly -- but if you looked carefully enough, you can probably tell it's been repaired.

I'm definitely glad to have my Fit back .

A summary of the repairs:
  • Hood, hood latch, both hinges
  • Right fender
  • Bumper
  • Right headlight (the most expensive part actually)
  • Right fog light
  • A/C shroud
  • Grille and grille cover (the top plastic piece above the grille)
  • Top and right support pieces in the front around the radiator
  • Windshield washer motor

Sounds like agood price, too.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:21 PM
WOW! I got off lucky with my GD3 last month. I saw the deer (at night) and jammed the brakes and swerved to the left. the deer continued on a rammed with his horns the back quarterpanel by the right rear tire! I got off with some missing paint chips and a smear mark by the window. (his nose or tongue?) anyway, I sharted myself silly after that mess.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
I almost hit a deer going through Iowa at 80mph. A hard swerve scared the shit out of me more then almost hitting the deer. Good thing it didn't roll. Those poor fits..

Old 05-30-2010, 09:28 PM
5 Year Member
Around here everybody says that either you've hit a deer or you will. VSA saves the day when you have to swerve to avoid one. You will not roll. We drove to Chicago last Monday but hardly made it a mile before we had to deer-dodge. The critter looked right at the Fit and jumped out in front of it. Fortunately I was going about thirty and looking for them.

During deer season (too short, in my opinion) people brag about the deer they shoot. All you really have to do to bag a deer is go for a drive.

Your car looks great again. Thank goodness for competent body shops.

Cheers.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:58 PM
I remember one time I hit a deer once going to the grocery store also. but it just went over the deer, it didn't do any damge to the car, but it killed the deer though. Yet the there was a cop jsuty watching the whole time, now how fouled up is that.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:21 PM
5 Year Member
I hate Deer, redneck rats

Old 06-06-2010, 04:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by coldstorage5
I hate Deer, redneck rats
How can you say that?

They help control the vast population of Yuppies, by giving them Lyme disease.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member
Video

Bumping an old thread but... if you've ever wondered what happens when you hit a deer, I actually have video of the collision, believe it or not... . I was gathering some video footage for a possible project, though this was the only video I took. I had a friend riding with me, who you can hear at the end . Some words in the video are a bit vulgar, but I think I can be excused for that given the situation.

As for how I took the video, I had my iphone wedged between the dashboard and the windshield. Towards the end of the video, the phone is falling due to the sudden deceleration, which is why you just see sky at the end of the video.

And yes, this is actually real, and no, I didn't plan it to happen, despite the rather prescient comment I made right before the collision . The deer limped away and finished crossing the highway... I guess all the pedestrian safety features helped the deer make it .

YouTube - Man, when you're driving at night... Honda Fit Deer Accident

Old 09-05-2010, 08:29 PM
LOL that video was pretty awesome.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:53 PM
That video was almost as good as Travis Pastrana nailing a deer at Sno*Drift...

Video here

Glad you weren't hurt and your car was repaired good as new!

Old 11-30-2013, 11:24 PM
https://i.imgur.com/MH3GVZG.jpg
thats mine tonight, whats this gonna cost?!?!?!Name:  MH3GVZG.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  492.6 KB

Old 12-01-2013, 10:35 AM
5 Year Member
Tough luck. Hope you're all right. It is amazing how much damage the @#$%%@#$@!!! things do.

Best wishes.

Old 12-01-2013, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
It looks actually like the hood took the brunt of the damage. You might have to get the bumper cover repainted, hood replaced but hopefully nothing in the engine or the fenders was affected. If the fenders are fine I say 2000 if you're lucky.

Quick Reply: Deer + Fit = :(