2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Why is the fit so underrated... ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 11:30 AM
5 Year Member
Upscale cars.

Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
Things are complicated here in a way that is very hard to make sense of and confusing to explain... Where I presently live there are very few individuals that make as much money as you do but I live in a very strange place.
I live in Connecticut which, supposedly, is one of the highest income places in the country, and most people I know don't make as much money as the average in Denmark. I guess I live in a very strange "state" and "country", as well.

But, maybe back on topic and maybe dealing with the whole "underrated" question... Why is this car called an economy car, anyway?.. Like it cost so little to buy? It doesn't cost very little to buy.... $17,000 to $22,000??? Come on... that is not cheap. Cheap to me would be $10,000.

To me, it seems that the car is at the low end of the "more expensive" cars. Maybe, it can be "underrated" because it is at the bottom of this "more expensive" car category, rather than the perceived category of "economy car".

If you look at the car with the idea that it is a little toy and fits into the poor man's car ranking, it is a dream car. If you look at the car and compare it to a $30,000 upscale car, it can be underrated easily by those who like the upscale cars.

So, I guess the concept of "underrated" is in the eye of the beholder. I, personally, love the car... and I own two of them. I would still rather have them than a Cadillac at any price. So, in my eyes the car is amazing and I could never "underrate" it. Other people who review cars will have a different opinion and may like driving that Cadillac better than a Fit.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:17 PM
I agree 100% Einstein
Maybe a better way to compare the car prize ranges is to calculate how many month you have to work to earn the same amount of money as the car cost.
Denmark 5,7 month

sorry for my poor ability into the english writing

Old 05-15-2010, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by micwic
I know that we got a strange tax rule in denmark all cars are taxed 180% so just to compare a Golf 1.4 TSI dsg is listed to 343698 kr or around $57100 or €46210 compared to this the Jazz is prized okay.
Another big huh...I knew that scandinavian countries are far more eco oriented and have higher standars but this is like 2/3 of amount I paid for my new (small) flat. This golf costs here like €22000. Just for curiosity, how much costs then Golf 2.0 TSI GTI dsg?

On the other hand my bruto paycheck (€2300) is less than half of yours. The minimum bruto paycheck here is around €800, average €1800. Out of €2300 bruto I get only €1200 neto. We have to pay a lot for tax and contributions as well. So I would have to work 14 months to pay off Jazz exe.

1l of gas costs here $1.5 which is, comparing standard of living, more expensive I guess than in Denmark. But hell, this is just the way it is.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by eljuero
Another big huh...I knew that scandinavian countries are far more eco oriented and have higher standars but this is like 2/3 of amount I paid for my new (small) flat. This golf costs here like €22000. Just for curiosity, how much costs then Golf 2.0 TSI GTI dsg?

On the other hand my bruto paycheck (€2300) is less than half of yours. The minimum bruto paycheck here is around €800, average €1800. Out of €2300 bruto I get only €1200 neto. We have to pay a lot for tax and contributions as well. So I would have to work 14 months to pay off Jazz exe.

1l of gas costs here $1.5 which is, comparing standard of living, more expensive I guess than in Denmark. But hell, this is just the way it is.
a Golf 2.0 gti dsg from 492700 kr $81900 VW Golf 2,0 GTi DSG - brugt bil til salg på BilBasen.dk

btw my estimate months of work is based on the bruto income

Old 05-15-2010, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
Wow

You're paying $1.50/liter of gas???? Is that correct? That would make it $5.70/gallon US. I currently pay $3.10/gal US for low octane. I thought that Slovenia was a big oil producer? I guess the Fit is an ideal car for such a high cost of fuel... you should, at least, be pleased with that. I can't imagine anyone in your country "underrating" such a fuel "sipper" as the Honda Fit.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by einstein77
You're paying $1.50/liter of gas???? Is that correct? That would make it $5.70/gallon US. I currently pay $3.10/gal US for low octane. I thought that Slovenia was a big oil producer? I guess the Fit is an ideal car for such a high cost of fuel... you should, at least, be pleased with that. I can't imagine anyone in your country "underrating" such a fuel "sipper" as the Honda Fit.
$2.0 pr liter here in denmark but taking in acount our higher salery it might be that the $1.50 eljuero has to pay is in fact more

Old 05-15-2010, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by einstein77
Yes, $1.5 per liter of gas. Its more or less the same price mostly in all Europe but living standard isn't. That is why its all relative ...

Slovenia oil producer ... where did you hear that?

I didn't say I'm not happy with Jazz's mpg. One time I even managed to get 50 mpg out of the tank (trip computer data). But you must understand that standard for cars in Europe regarding gas consuption is different than in US. Since Jazz is small light car its mpg is not that impressive. Others are not far behind.

All I'm saying is that Honda would sell more of Jazzes if the price would be lower. Honda brande is overprised here in Slovenia and Jazz even more. My opinion.

Jazz
www.Avto.net
VW Golf
www.Avto.net
Honda Civic hatch
www.Avto.net
Opel Astra
www.Avto.net
Renault Megane
www.Avto.net

Edit: 50 not 60 mpg

Last edited by eljuero; 05-16-2010 at 05:49 AM.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:23 PM
Yes, $1.5 per liter of gas. Its more or less the same price mostly in all Europe but living standard isn't. That is why its all relative ...

Slovenia oil producer ... where did you hear that?

I didn't say I'm not happy with Jazz's mpg. One time I even managed to get 60 mpg out of the tank (trip computer data). But you must understand that standard for cars in Europe regarding gas consuption is different than in US. Since Jazz is small light car its mpg is not that impressive. Others are not far behind.

All I'm saying is that Honda would sell more of Jazzes if the price would be lower. Honda brande is overprised here in Slovenia and Jazz even more. My opinion.

Jazz
www.Avto.net
VW Golf
www.Avto.net
Honda Civic hatch
www.Avto.net
Opel Astra
www.Avto.net
Renault Megane
www.Avto.net
I see what you mean, seems like we indeed got a more fair prize range here compared to you, but still it´s a high prized car here too, though worth every penny

Old 05-16-2010, 01:31 PM
Maybe this would help on the underrated status of our Jazz/Fit my daughter made this for me