2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Why is the fit so underrated... ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
I owned mine for well over a year before I saw another one and it has been a month since I last saw one.... It is unusual to see any small cars here and trucks (SUVs) out number cars at least 8 to one.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:25 PM
Hmm well TX is a big state so I'm sure it varies.. I see a lot of trucks around me, but the tiny cars seem to be about even with the bigger ones.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FRT_Fun
Hmm well TX is a big state so I'm sure it varies.. I see a lot of trucks around me, but the tiny cars seem to be about even with the bigger ones.
San Angelo has an Air Force Base and at least one college so there are educated young people there...

Old 05-11-2010, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
I guess the Fit still suffers from a sort of "culture shock" in North America, where "real" cars are BIG, and small cars are "econoboxes".

Me, I like my cars small on the outside, big on the inside and fun to drive. That's why the Fit was a natural for me.
I couldn't agree with you more bro, it's the same here in Mexico.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
in canada civic has been the #1 selling cars for years - from marketing - advertising this helps sell cars

civic is made here, while fit is shipped from japon - i'm sure honda makes more from civics

there was about 1 or 2 ads I recall when the 09 started (on tv that is)

its just the price is so close to a base civic - and from the outside one would think the civic gives more space - its a perspective thing

telling people my 09 fit will hold more 'stuff' than a hummer h3 - just logicaly doesn't make sense - until it is actually proven

Plus the fact people think small eco cars are cheap - u won't know until u go for a spin

ppl probably think we're crazy using the fit to hold our family most weekends (2 adults 2 kids in car seats) - while we have a nissan xtrail in the garage chilling out for bad weather or long trips.
The point is the fit will hold our weekend groceries/costco visits - is more fun to drive (gotta love 5sp) and better at the pump

If we lived in europe the fit's size would be classified as normal

Its the north american image which is ruining small cars - hopefully the feista marketing will help send a message - its time for change
maybe high gas prices will help as well - not that i would like this, mind u

but in fact I love the fact in a sea of civics and others, there are a few fits out there - holding their ground, weaving threw traffic, while escalades with their shiney wheels burn holes in their wallets, sitting in traffic, looking all pretty and - as the end of disney's cars movie put it, afraid to go off road!

Old 05-11-2010, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member
All of our big shopping excursions and trips that were made in my mid size cargo van have been made in the Fit except for a trip at Christmas time when we drove the Forester because of weather conditions and last Saturday's trip to Lowe's in the pickup for landscape timbers and because it hadn't been driven except to be inspected in 9 months.... Now it is back outside to the barn to be attacked by mosquitoes and other biting insects while I continue the installation of the high boost upgrade.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:18 AM
I don't understand what you mean by underated. If you mean there aren't many around, you are right. But I suspect that is mostly because the dealers don't want them. Not as much profit margin on a Fit. Go to a lot around here, and they are filled with overloaded Accords and CR-V's. Few Fits, though, and you never see advertising for a Fit. At least not in Phoenix.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member
Earlier this morning on a local news program a spokesman from Edmond's said that the Honda Fit was the best budget car on the market...... How is it that a car that has so much critical acclaim from automotive professionals be thought of as underrated, and on an automotive forum called FitFreak no less..... There has always been cars and motorcycles with a feverish cult following that never appeal to those with mainstream thinking.... If and (or) they do become popular the manufacturers upscale them in size, trendy styling and features that over complicate the simplistic purity of the original design to make it more appealing to those impressed with gadgetry and cup holders until it is categorized amongst other cars that have no resemblance at all to the original..... The cars sold here are rotund bastardizations of what is available elsewhere but still more appealing than other cars with more silly gimmicks that are marketed here....

Old 05-14-2010, 02:25 PM
I thought this was going to be claimed hp vs. actual...........I was going to jump in saying that my butt dyno estimates more like 200bhp

Old 05-14-2010, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
I've never actually owned a "cult car" before, and I'm finding it pretty cool. Actually the first one I saw close up was purchased by the drummer in our band back in '07. I was so impressed by it that when it was time to trade, the Fit was at the top of my short list.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by micwic
they are to expensive here, I payed 200000 kr/34000$ but the list prize is about 225000 kr/37800$ , that is about 20000-70000 kr/ 3500-12000$ more expensiv compared to suzuki,kia, daewoo for the 12000$ range and fiesta, fiat, C2, mazda for the 3500$ range all others in the middle.
that despited the fact that a massive tv campaign last year where on all channels.
the reason for my few encounters may be due to most of my time on the roads is on highway and motorway perhaps all the Jazz/Fit never cross the city limit.
just hates our 180% taxes on car even safety and economic features get this treadment seems so pointless, but what do I know
Originally Posted by einstein77
WOW!!! is all I can say for your prices.
Huh...$37800. In Germany list price is around €20000 for the top model, in my country €17000 and we even don't have 1,5 engine in Europe.

Its good car but overpriced for at least €2000. Because for this kind of money you can get new Golf which is higher class of a car.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
I've never actually owned a "cult car" before, and I'm finding it pretty cool. Actually the first one I saw close up was purchased by the drummer in our band back in '07. I was so impressed by it that when it was time to trade, the Fit was at the top of my short list.
I remember you mentioning playing gigs and was wondering about what you play and type of music you play.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:07 AM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I know when I got my Fit in 2007 hardly any were on the road and the car got a lot of attention. People were always asking me what it was and how it did on gas milage. Now I can drive around town and see one or two on the road. The fact that Honda only does small blur commercials on the Fit could be one reason that many people have never heard of it. It has been a long time since any new Fit commercials have been on the air. I have been showing my car since last year and at the show last weekend a guy actually walked up to me and said that he owned a Fit. Up until then most people have never heard of the car or seen it in person.

Cat :x

Old 05-15-2010, 08:43 AM
5 Year Member
I like the fact that the Fit isn't a belly button car and that they are far and few between.... I was into British motorcycles and cars for years and others that were of the same ilk would always honk wave and on many occasions pull into a parking lot to just talk about their cars and share info.... It was the same with Beetles and before the late 80s Harley-Davidsons.... The great thing about the Fit is that it is low maintenance and very useful as well as a hoot to drive and we don't have to lie to ourselves and others about what a great car it is to justify our obsession with it..... The British stuff required obsessive dedication to keep them running from one day to the next.... 1500 mile oil changes, 3000 mile valve adjustments and 50,000 overhauls were a must if you were into Beetles.... Harleys were great until you would find that parts had vibrated off because you decided to ride over 60MPH for 30 minutes and a 28000 mile top end over haul was considered a maintenance procedure. When they started building a version of the engine that would go 100,000 mile it became appealing and fashionable to own because Malcolm Forbes gave one as a gift to Liz Taylor.... It is cool to have a car that you get to work on because you just want to instead of out of necessity.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I like the fact that the Fit isn't a belly button car and that they are far and few between.... I was into British motorcycles and cars for years and others that were of the same ilk would always honk wave and on many occasions pull into a parking lot to just talk about their cars and share info.... It was the same with Beetles and before the late 80s Harley-Davidsons.... The great thing about the Fit is that it is low maintenance and very useful as well as a hoot to drive and we don't have to lie to ourselves and others about what a great car it is to justify our obsession with it..... The British stuff required obsessive dedication to keep them running from one day to the next.... 1500 mile oil changes, 3000 mile valve adjustments and 50,000 overhauls were a must if you were into Beetles.... Harleys were great until you would find that parts had vibrated off because you decided to ride over 60MPH for 30 minutes and a 28000 mile top end over haul was considered a maintenance procedure. When they started building a version of the engine that would go 100,000 mile it became appealing and fashionable to own because Malcolm Forbes gave one as a gift to Liz Taylor.... It is cool to have a car that you get to work on because you just want to instead of out of necessity.
A very nice Saturday morning statement

Old 05-15-2010, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by eljuero
Huh...$37800. In Germany list price is around €20000 for the top model, in my country €17000 and we even don't have 1,5 engine in Europe.

Its good car but overpriced for at least €2000. Because for this kind of money you can get new Golf which is higher class of a car.
I know that we got a strange tax rule in denmark all cars are taxed 180% so just to compare a Golf 1.4 TSI dsg is listed to 343698 kr or around $57100 or €46210 compared to this the Jazz is prized okay.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:16 AM
5 Year Member
I know that we got a strange tax rule in denmark all cars are taxed 180% so just to compare a Golf 1.4 TSI dsg is listed to 343698 kr or around $57100 or €46210 compared to this the Jazz is prized okay.
I am having chest pains already this morning and the intensity has drastically increased after reading your post.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:40 AM
I am having chest pains already this morning and the intensity has drastically increased after reading your post.
I´m sorry, how would you feel if it was you who got to live with this every day oh yea gas prize here 12.00 kr pr liter or $ 2.00 not to talk about the running cost and parts, standard dvd navigation in the Jazz/Fit as option 23000kr or nearly $ 4000
I could keep this up for hours but it makes me very sad, hope we got something else that would make it fair.
A normal medium paycheck as mine is around 35000kr to 38000kr or $5800 to $6300 monthly how is that compared to over there, low aswell I presume, we then have to pay apr 50% in taxes.
So as you can see we have to work very hard for our wheels in this "lovely" little country but we never complain as we are the most happy people in the hole world, I´m told

Old 05-15-2010, 09:51 AM
5 Year Member
I remember you mentioning playing gigs and was wondering about what you play and type of music you play.
At the risk of taking this off topic, I play guitar and sing in this band. We've been together for 8 years now. We started off as a blues band, then, when the other guitar player quit, we continued on as a 4 piece band (guitar, keys, bass and drums) and reinvented ourselves as a classic rock band, playing a mix of tunes from the 60's to the 90's. I anybody had told me that at age 58 I'd still be playing rock and roll, I wouldn't have believed them.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:39 AM
5 Year Member
I´m sorry, how would you feel if it was you who got to live with this every day oh yea gas prize here 12.00 kr pr liter or $ 2.00 not to talk about the running cost and parts, standard dvd navigation in the Jazz/Fit as option 23000kr or nearly $ 4000
I could keep this up for hours but it makes me very sad, hope we got something else that would make it fair.
A normal medium paycheck as mine is around 35000kr to 38000kr or $5800 to $6300 monthly how is that compared to over there, low aswell I presume, we then have to pay apr 50% in taxes.
So as you can see we have to work very hard for our wheels in this "lovely" little country but we never complain as we are the most happy people in the hole world, I´m told
Things are complicated here in a way that is very hard to make sense of and confusing to explain... Where I presently live there are very few individuals that make as much money as you do but I live in a very strange place.

Quick Reply: Why is the fit so underrated... ?