2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Why is the fit so underrated... ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 08:04 PM
5 Year Member
I think that the Fit is underrated as well. I actually researched the Fit and it's competitors almost a year before I purchased mine in April of 2007. Back then and up until now, I have read almost every article and review of the Fit, and all have been extremely positive. Several people have stated that it might be the price, but I disagree. When I priced a Yaris with the same equipment/options that the Fit Sport had, the Yaris was actually more and still didn't match the Fit with equipment. The Versa was closer in price and equipment/options but still wasn't as good as the Fit. There are other manufacturers that may be cheaper, but they're not the big three (Honda, Nissan, Toyota). I actually see many Fits on the road here in the Dallas area. Unfortunately, there are always people that are brand loyal and don't look at things objectively. You will always have that "Chevy" person that will only look at the Chevy line-up and purchase a Cobalt even though it might be the crapiest vehicle on the road.

David - Dallas, TX
07 Honda Fit Sport
10 Nissan Cube SL
00 Nissan Xterra
91 Nissan NX2000 (sold )

Old 05-09-2010, 10:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 08fithappy
Well i think its a great car a little bit pricey for what it is. I looked at a golf the other day man they have really nice interiors with bluetooth and heated seats. But mpg was worst than the fit and there about $3k more than the Fit. I am not sure which i will go with i need more room. Hmm Golf has nice interior and looks great. Fit gets great MPG cheaper and is a honda
I also like the Golf quite a bit, and they are decent looking and the interiors have an upscale feel. IMO they drive like crud though, and the residual value is laughable compared to the FIT. VW reliability is also questionable. I would have bought a TDI if I thought its reliability was on par with honda.

I'm am more than please with the fit though.. very versatile car and the economy is great (better than rated) if you baby it.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wilcoholic
What I am always wondering is why is the fit so grossly underrated? I just don't get it.

90% of the people on earth buy a car for function and utility. And most of them are just regular families. The other 10% are car enthusiasts.

Well I can't think of a better car on the market then the honda fit. It gets very good gas mileage and its cargo space is unrivaled. There is also plenty of headroom and comfort for all 5 passengers with enough room for your groceries. This is the ultimate car for a family. It's cheap to buy and to maintain, great fuel economy and best of all the utility factor. You can transport refrigerators, sofas and small furniture without problems. It's also very fun and satisfying to drive this car. This car has everything the average man needs.

I feel this car is really under appreciated. I want to know why?
While I do agree that the Fit is somewhat underrated... you'll have to look at all the things you listed... it's a good combination of form and function.

Form: Fun to drive.

Function: good fuel economy for a non-hybrid and plenty of (overall) cargo room.

The problem is, plenty of people out there, don't look at it as an overall thing.

There are MANY more cars that are more "fun" to drive than the Fit. Those cars have better handling, more horsepower, etc.

There are plenty of cars that get better fuel economy. They are smaller and lighter. Some people just never make use of that much cargo room, so a smaller, lighter car is plenty for them.

There are also plenty of cars that provide more cargo room, and thats WITHOUT putting the rear seats down. Toyota Matrix, for one. On top of that, they're more likely simply go with bigger class vehicles just for the size (though I HATE Escalades with only one person and no cargo 99% of the time). Good luck trying to put a mom and four children in a Fit, when none of the children are allowed in the front seat (front airbag), one needs an infant seat and two more need booster seats. That's five people... what my sister has to do whenever she goes anywhere with her kids.

As I was saying, plenty of people don't look at it as an overall thing, they focus one one of the above (or something else, like looks) and sacrifice one or more of the others.

It also has more horsepower then any other competing car..
That depends on what you consider competing. I consider the Toyota Matrix as competing... and it has more ponies. So do the Ford Fiesta and Nissan Versa. Those are all four door hatchbacks that provide similar fuel economies (Matrix is kinda low actually).

Last edited by Goobers; 05-10-2010 at 12:00 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:15 AM
Originally Posted by mhrivnak
I think it mostly has to do with the small number of Fits available. Finding a new one for sale is not easy! While there might be 10-15 Civics on a dealer's lot, 2 Fits is probably the most you will find, at least in the southeastern US. Also, you don't see many of them on the roads, because there just aren't many to go around.
I'm somewhat surprised by this. When I bought mine a year ago, Leith Autopark and Leith Honda both had about twelve each, and the dealer in Durham had about fifteen. I imagine that sales could have picked up since then, due to the old cash-for-clunkers, the economy tanking, and due to increasing popularity and good reviews for the vehicle.

As to marketing, why spend money on advertising as along as the product is selling itself?

Just checked: Autopark shows twenty-seven 2010 Fits in stock, but Leith in Raleigh only shows six.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:34 AM
5 Year Member
I got some 'why's' from family when I was considering the Fit. I showed them this vid and that shut 'em up.

YouTube - MotorWeek Road Test: 2009 Honda Fit

Now that I have it, they love it!

Dan

Last edited by Shockwave199; 05-10-2010 at 12:44 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SteveInNC
I'm somewhat surprised by this. When I bought mine a year ago, Leith Autopark and Leith Honda both had about twelve each, and the dealer in Durham had about fifteen. I imagine that sales could have picked up since then, due to the old cash-for-clunkers, the economy tanking, and due to increasing popularity and good reviews for the vehicle.

As to marketing, why spend money on advertising as along as the product is selling itself?

Just checked: Autopark shows twenty-seven 2010 Fits in stock, but Leith in Raleigh only shows six.
A year ago, Fits WERE plentiful on dealer's lots, but not now. When I bought mine in March '09, there were 21 in stock at my dealer. Today, no more than 1 or 2 at a time.

As far as "selling itself", well, I guess if Honda is content selling 4,000 Fits per month compared to 25,000 Civics and 30,000 Accords in the US, then the car is "selling itself". Apparently Honda is happy with those figures.

(sales figures from here: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...010-sales.html).

Old 05-10-2010, 08:25 AM
I personally like that the Fit is not everywhere. I like having a car that stands out in the crowd (thus prior Acura Integra, Acura CL-type S). The CL was a major under the radar car. Nobody new what it was or what it was capable of (hp wise) back in the day. It was a great car. I am finding the Fit is a similar under the radar car. The Fit is Practical/Cheap/Fun/Reliable/Unique. I will keep this little gem to myself. I hope once the CR-Z comes out everyone jumps on that bandwagon and take some heat of the Fit.

Uncle Gary,
I think it depends on where you live. Jan 09 I went to three dealerships. The dealers would only have 1 or 2 Fits at a time. The one I bought mine at just got the truck in with 2 Fits while I was there. I bought 1 right then and there.

Last edited by Committobefit08; 05-10-2010 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:31 AM
5 Year Member
What I am always wondering is why is the fit so grossly underrated? I just don't get it...

... I feel this car is really under appreciated. I want to know why?
Ssssshhhhhhhhh! Be quiet... I don't want everyone buying a Fit. I like being rather unique in owning a ride barely anyone else drives (compared to all of the other cars on the road).

The Fit will get boring if every flippin' economy-conscious, average Joe and rude, weaving, cellphone yappin' soccer mom starts buying them!

Honda sells enough Fits to warrant their continuance... let's keep this a special, smaller club. As long as we know the Fit's positives who gives a rat's ears (thought I was going to say something else, eh?) what others think.

I like my Fit, a lot... I don't want to start seeing them everywhere. Matter of fact, I'm going to tell people not to buy Fits...

... my word from now on is, "Don't buy one, they suck!" (wink, wink!)

Last edited by annunC8; 05-10-2010 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:02 AM
Adored by the press, but underrated by "the people." I think the main problem is that sub-compact hatches are *still* looked down upon in the US as cars that are cheap pieces of crap by definition and then get sticker shock when they see it has a "regular" price tag.

Even for me...my first 2 cars were hatchbacks and I loved the hatchback functionality, but I knew I was going to have a baby during the lifespan of this car and after 7 years driving my Civic Coupe and even my wife's Civic Sedan, I was getting tired of having to get help from someone with an SUV/van/truck anytime I wanted to transport something larger than a breadbox (figuratively speaking, of course). I needed a "bigger" car.

Although I liked the look of the Fit in the pictures, I assumed it suffered this same problem...perfect car for getting everything moved out of your dorm room when you only have 1 passenger...not so great for an "adult."

It was not until I saw one on the show room floor and opened the hatch did I realize that the lowly hatchback has come a long way.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by einstein77
I believe you, but it seems strange that you only have seen 3 or 4. Are they readily available in Denmark?... or are they low in inventory?... or are they expensive compared to Denmark's vehicles?

It's just strange that it is "The car of the Year" and no one is buying them at, what seems, a minuscule rate.

It certainly seems underrated in Denmark!!!
they are to expensive here, I payed 200000 kr/34000$ but the list prize is about 225000 kr/37800$ , that is about 20000-70000 kr/ 3500-12000$ more expensiv compared to suzuki,kia, daewoo for the 12000$ range and fiesta, fiat, C2, mazda for the 3500$ range all others in the middle.
that despited the fact that a massive tv campaign last year where on all channels.
the reason for my few encounters may be due to most of my time on the roads is on highway and motorway perhaps all the Jazz/Fit never cross the city limit.
just hates our 180% taxes on car even safety and economic features get this treadment seems so pointless, but what do I know

Old 05-10-2010, 02:20 PM
I think that possibly the negative image is as a result of the first generation Fit. It might have been a good car, but let's face it, it looks like a little wind-up toy, something that the second generation has eliminated. 2nd gen actually looks hot.

Just my two cents.

Flea

Old 05-10-2010, 02:31 PM
5 Year Member
When the 3rd generation Fit is released I wonder what the people that buy them will say about the 2nd generation cars.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by micwic
they are to expensive here, I payed 200000 kr/34000$ but the list prize is about 225000 kr/37800$ , that is about 20000-70000 kr/ 3500-12000$ more expensiv compared to suzuki,kia, daewoo for the 12000$ range and fiesta, fiat, C2, mazda for the 3500$ range all others in the middle.
that despited the fact that a massive tv campaign last year where on all channels.
the reason for my few encounters may be due to most of my time on the roads is on highway and motorway perhaps all the Jazz/Fit never cross the city limit.
just hates our 180% taxes on car even safety and economic features get this treadment seems so pointless, but what do I know

WOW!!! is all I can say for your prices.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
When the 3rd generation Fit is released I wonder what the people that buy them will say about the 2nd generation cars.

It's not like that at all. I thought the first Fit looked like a toy long before the 2nd Gen came out.

Flea

Old 05-10-2010, 05:10 PM
As I said in another thread people here in mexico don't consider it a "real" car, they look upon it as a toy. They only consider real cars suv's or pickup trucks. What made me go for the fit is

1) I think honda is one of the best car manufacturers around (def much better than toyota)

2) all the positive reviews it gets on different magazines and on Top Gear! wow Top Gear!

3) I love the design

4) Fuel Economy

5) Versatility

and the list goes on and on...

I def don't think the Fit is underrated.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
OP:
Are you asking this question in terms of the US context or just generally?

The Fit/Jazz is definitely not underrated where I come from. Jazzes are very, very common here. Even with the "prohibitively expensive" price vs. its competition (a top-flight GE8 1.5L A/T costs PhP830,000 here - do the conversion math) and complaints of its hard ride quality, the Jazz is still selling like hotcakes. If anything Jazzes can be over-rated in the Philippine context.

For years it simply hasn't had any real rivals here. The Yaris hatchback just isn't a competitor in terms of space and it has much weaker appeal towards car buyers. Only the recently launched Mazda 2 seems to have a prayer of undercutting it in price (PhP795,000 for a 1.5L A/T) and appeal.

My two cents

Old 05-10-2010, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member
I guess the Fit still suffers from a sort of "culture shock" in North America, where "real" cars are BIG, and small cars are "econoboxes".

Me, I like my cars small on the outside, big on the inside and fun to drive. That's why the Fit was a natural for me.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
I don't think that the Fit is underrated so much as it is that other cars are overrated.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
everyone from other states should take a trip to socal and tell us the fit is underrated. there are alot of fits here. i see an average of at least 5 a day. on a good day i will spot more than 5 on a single parking lot. i went bowling this past friday in torrance and spotted 3 different colored ge's in a lot of 20 cars.

i dont know about the rest of you guys in other states but, in cali we like our econoboxes, we have plenty of yaris', xb's, versas, aveos, xd's, and gd, ge fits.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:18 PM
^But you still live in cali

I kid.

Down here in TX there are a ton of Fits as well. I see 4-5 daily. A few are repeats. My favorite thing about my fit is the gear box. So smooth. Manual ftw.

Quick Reply: Why is the fit so underrated... ?