2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

slow accelration, new 2010 fit sport.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by anime2k3
Ok, here’s the update. I brought it in to my local Honda dealer today stating my concerns. He told me off the bat that it's too early to judge mileage within the time frame I have the car. He called me in the afternoon and told me that they hooked up the computer to it, did a test drive and checked the MPG rating. Everything checks out fine...

maybe I was exaggerating, who knows... I'll wait a little while longer with the car and see if it improves. Perhaps this is part of the break in period.
I feel this effect to some extent in my AT. I think it's a consequence of the torque converter. Automatics really want to be accelerated aggressively to minimize torque converter losses. The Fit either wants to accelerate quickly or super, super, super slowly. That may be what you're experiencing if you're taking off very conservatively.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
Ok, here’s the update. I brought it in to my local Honda dealer today stating my concerns. He told me off the bat that it's too early to judge mileage within the time frame I have the car. He called me in the afternoon and told me that they hooked up the computer to it, did a test drive and checked the MPG rating. Everything checks out fine...

maybe I was exaggerating, who knows... I'll wait a little while longer with the car and see if it improves. Perhaps this is part of the break in period.
The Fit AT is most happy with a bit of a heavy foot when accelerating. Don't be afraid to get your baby up and moving through those gears. I'm gonna guess you're lugging the tranny, just as I did when I first got the car. This nasty little habit comes from being ultra conservative with your foot when accelerating. What happens is the MPG indicator is a major concern and distraction in the beginning. You desire superlative gas mileage too, and you over compensate. So too is the thought of going easy on your new car and it's smaller engine. So from a stop, you go easy on the gas and figure the car will go nicely through the gears and pull you along. Wrong. You gotta wind out those gears and keep the pressure up until you reach your desired gear- usually 5th. You gotta be more aggressive with your foot. Then you'll see how much better the car responds and you won't lug anymore. The car will thank you for it. You have a terrifc engine and tranny in this car. Don't fear driving it. And best yet, you won't be destroying your gas mileage by doing so, either. I'd bet it will improve just adjusting this one technique, not to mention it will brake in better too. I'm not saying to become an insane rabbit starter from full stop. But you'll have to push this car for it to behave it's best. That's the fun part about this car- you drive it. All this will become normal and fun too. You will find the sweet spot. Fear not, you have a Fit that likes to perform for you. Have at it! And those of us behind you will thank you as well!

Dan

Last edited by Shockwave199; 05-12-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:12 PM
I haven't taken the car on the highway yet but i would definitely like to see how that handles. Cruise control works beautifully. My mpg seems to improve when i use it in certain areas. If it weren't for the paddle shifters i would go crazy.

like i said before, i'm able to get around the sluggish acceleration by immediately using them after a red light. i loaded up on a higher octane gas this time and the ride seems much smoother. well see i guess.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
The Fit AT is most happy with a bit of a heavy foot when accelerating. Don't be afraid to get your baby up and moving through those gears. I'm gonna guess you're lugging the tranny, just as I did when I first got the car. This nasty little habit comes from being ultra conservative with your foot when accelerating. What happens is the MPG indicator is a major concern and distraction in the beginning. You want superlative gas mileage and you over-compensate. So too is the thought of going easy on your new car and it's smaller engine. So from a stop, you go easy on the gas and figure the car will go nicely through the gears and pull you along. Wrong. You gotta wind out those gears. You gotta be more aggressive with your foot. Then you'll see how much better the car responds and you won't lug anymore. The car will thank you for it. You have a terrifc engine and tranny in this car. Don't fear driving it. And best yet, you won't be destroying your gas mileage by doing so, either. I'd bet it will improve just adjusting this one technique, not to mention it will brake in better too. I'm not saying to become an insane rabbit starter from full stop. But you'll have to push this car for it to behave it's best. That's the fun part about this car- you drive it. All this will become normal and fun too. Fear not, you have a Fit that likes to perform for you. Have at it! And those of us behind you will thank you as well!

Dan
Its nerve racking after that 1st initial acceleration. Theres like, no torque. I do go lightly on the pedal on the 1st acceleration, but i always end up flooring it anyway. What i now do is, i upshift early on after i push off, and the car rides beautifully. of course over time, i'll probably transition to using the car without the shifters as it brakes in. Thanks for the advise. those were good suggestions.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member
Even doing all that, I'm still not particularly happy with how short second gear is. This may be what you're feeling too. But again, this is definitely helped by pushing this car more than you may have perviously needed to in other cars. The sweet spot- you'll find it. And YES, nothing wrong with paddling away! Just another great feature in the auto tranny. Use the heck out them, or exclusively, if it fits your style. Good luck and have fun. At almost a year of ownership, this car is only now beginning to really be fun for me. I think it's because I've gotten used to it and let go of babying it.

Dan

Old 05-12-2010, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member
Also, use regular gas, imo. Debatable with the members here, yes. But I wouldn't spend the bucks on anything more than regular.

Dan

Old 05-13-2010, 10:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
Even doing all that, I'm still not particularly happy with how short second gear is... Dan
Yeah, I too think second gear is lacking any "meaningful" duration. When I start feeling it I just use the paddle shifters. I'm usually ok with it though... I'm used to it by now.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:25 PM
don't baby it, its a honda 1.5 give it the gas and she'll pull you along, I've got a MT so I can't directly compare but getting these cars up in the revs is the ONLY way to produce power. Honda's like to make power over 3K, anything below that is kind of like spooling the the turbo. VTEC is also less likely to kick in unless your telling the car you want more power. I don't think I've ever accelerated the car without vtec. Just over 100 miles on it now and getting 30+mpg.

If you have a 2010 the MPG estimate should be spot on from the computer. Its a fairly simple calculation of injector size, duration and car speed, only thing I could think of is if your MAF is dirty the engine may be cutting power. but its pretty far into the airbox so its unlikely.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Slow accel - Rev up

I have a 2000 SI and the power really only comes on at 4K. After that it is bliss up to the red line (about 8K). I think smaller displacement Honda engines need RPMs and I agree with those who say putting your foot into it works like a charm.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:52 PM
5 Year Member
Also look at picking up a throttle controller. You will be shocked at the difference in get up the car has compared to stock. Mine is always on S7, my daily commute to work and home is just under 18km, but it takes like 30 minutes each way, so lots of stop and go, stop and go and my average FE is at 29.4mpg. With it set at S7 the car feels just so more alive, especially off the line.

You haven't reported back in awhile, so how is the car feeling today from when you first posted this?

Old 08-05-2010, 01:39 AM
It shouldn't feel like it's pulling better shifting from 1st to 2nd.... something is wrong.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:28 AM
Question have you checked.....?

Is there any chance you where driving with the e-brake lever lifted?

Old 08-05-2010, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
Also look at picking up a throttle controller. You will be shocked at the difference in get up the car has compared to stock. Mine is always on S7, my daily commute to work and home is just under 18km, but it takes like 30 minutes each way, so lots of stop and go, stop and go and my average FE is at 29.4mpg. With it set at S7 the car feels just so more alive, especially off the line.

You haven't reported back in awhile, so how is the car feeling today from when you first posted this?
Sorry bout that. The car is essentially the same. I realize now I have to floor it to keep up with traffic on initial acceleration. I suspect it’s a quirk of the car. Acceleration time has improved though since I first bought it. I suspect it did have something to do with the brake in period.

I posted up another thread about the fuel economy a while back. We eventually figured out the crap mileage was because of NY driving. You have not seen stop and go until you have driven hear.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
I had the car for about 3 weeks now and ever since day 1 ive notices this. I'll be at a red light that just turned green. when i step on the gas, it revs to about 2-3k rpm and barely moves.

I am obliged to press down harder on the gas pedal, but it doesn't seem to do much. one work around i've found is to use the paddle shifters to up-shift early. that seems to negate the sluggish effect.

Is this normal for a new car? i mean, can i expect it to fix itself over time?

No, not normal. My AT picks up quickly. Check usual tune-up.
You haven't changed wheels and especially tires have you?
Guy came in last week worrying why his just-bought used Fit AT was so slow. He had bought a Fit with 205/60x14 tires. Those tires are only nearly half again heavier and an inch bigger.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:06 AM
ecl
5 Year Member
hmm I drive an AT and often with the paddles and i've never felt the car feels slow or lags, and never have had to come close to flooring it to keep up with cars on initial acceleration. But what everyone is saying about bringing it up to higher rpm is the best way to get power out of it. Seems to get up there pretty quick too.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:47 AM
go back to the dealer and test drive another fit. if it has the same problem as yours... then you're just trippin lol

Old 08-06-2010, 10:12 AM
5 Year Member
I live in a very hilly part of westchester, so in order to compensate in some areas during a Light I keep on the brake and apply some throttle (i do that when i ride motorcycle also) on my AT mitsu outlander. at 2-3k rpms, you can feeling it pulling, so once i see green and no squids, i left of the brake and get a pretty decent start.

I saw somebody else do it here when they were showing their nitrous on a youtube vid (on an AT car also)

Old 08-06-2010, 11:16 AM
Banned
I think the problem is the car. You have to remember that you're in a mind numbing slow vehicle. It's not going to take off like a rocket, or like a normal car. You'd probably be better off walking.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by Blackguy
I think the problem is the car. You have to remember that you're in a mind numbing slow vehicle. It's not going to take off like a rocket, or like a normal car. You'd probably be better off walking.
Man, you should give these cars a break. They're AutoX monsters. As soon as I get a job, I'm buying one.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by 4tothepavement
Man, you should give these cars a break. They're AutoX monsters. As soon as I get a job, I'm buying one.
Are you kidding me? A honda Fit on an Autox Course??? LOLOLOLOLOL. As soon as you get a job? Don't have to aim very high, just get any low wage job at McDonalds and you could have the Fit of your dreams.

Quick Reply: slow accelration, new 2010 fit sport.