2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

***Official GE Parts/Weight List***

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 01:02 AM
5 Year Member
Well if anything you can tell them that your dream is to be a big-rig driver and you wanted to taste what it was like to go through a weighing station.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:18 AM
5 Year Member
Hey Soo, no the weight scales you are speaking of are DOT,(department of transportation), I suspect your request would be frowned upon. They might know of a truck stop though.
Ask some truckers or get on a CB radio.

Speaking of Titanium, too bad the J's Ti exhaust parts are so spendy, Evasive Motorsports looks like they discount though.

More on Ti.
I have been thinking of Titanium axles, having them made.....
low and behold, they have some for civics
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2078984
mentioned also are LCA's (lower control arms)

but the only ones I found are mugen, prolly not Ti, looks like aluminum
and again for civic

The Oddessy battery, that might be the cheapest per lb loss, then maybe a CF hood. I also bought some stock to make an alum battery mount for the oddessy, I need to cut and fit it this summer.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
Well if anything you can tell them that your dream is to be a big-rig driver and you wanted to taste what it was like to go through a weighing station.
Oh man, I haven't laughed this hard for awhile!

Old 05-11-2010, 01:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jkskrn
Oh man, I haven't laughed this hard for awhile!
LOL too funny, hey going to be in Orlando on the 20-22nd (2 shows nightly at the comedy clu...) naw, with the family, kids to Disney etc. Let's get together if we can!

back on topic, man I want to do the aluminum rear 1st gen Insight drums (Spoon race car pic), only like $60 ea at Bernardi, however something else is involved and I can't seem to be able to find that out.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:08 AM
5 Year Member
The lower arms on the DC5R were aluminum. The EP3R didn't receive this arm as it had the same lower arm as the RSX-S. The Mugen pieces just take the stock piece and add rubber with a higher durometer rating and offset the mounting a bit.

What I am interested in possibly getting are the CR-Z front lower arms, they are aluminum and considering the CR-Z is based off of the Fit's chassis, they just might work. Looking at them in pictures they look very similar, but of course there just might be minute differences between the 2. I have waiting to be installed the J's lower arms with their roll center adjusters already installed. Well they are just the stock piece with the RCA installed. I just haven't seen the need to install them as I am only lowered about 25mm (about an inch). If/when I do go with a new sussy setup, the lower arms for sure will go on, unless of course the CR-Z arms will work.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:48 PM
What speculation of 15lb difference? The weight I posted of 31lbs was for all 3 pieces of the exhaust system. This is the information provided by J's Racing, maybe they are slightly off or possibly a scale needs to be calibrated? They have the stock muffler weighing 5.2kg (11.44lbs) and their replacement piece weighs 2.4kg (5.28lbs). The stock mid-pipe they list as 5.6kg (12.32lbs) and their replacement weighs 2.4kg (5.28lbs). The stock secondary cat section they list as 3.6kg (7.92lbs) and their replacement straight piece weighs .75kg(1.65lbs).
Sorry for not responding sooner. Busy at work...

I guess I don't have a strong knowledge of what parts comprise the stock exhaust. Tell me if this is correct...
Header --> midpipe ---> cat --> b pipe ---> muffler

I LOL'd at your comment about big rig scales. BTW, my name is Brian

Old 05-11-2010, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member
Well on the Fit it is 4 pieces. The GE doesn't have an exhaust manifold really since it is part of the block's cast. From that comes the primary cat, downpipe with second cat, mid-pipe and canister. The 3 pieces I was talking about connect up to the primary cat. If someone were to pick up the WeaponR piece, it will replace the primary and secondary cats.

I should of said 3 of the 4 pieces in my original post, but since there isn't many companies producing a replacement for the primary cat I kind of shunned it to the side and replacing 3 of the 4 should still keep one legal as a cat is still in service. Though how much cleaning up it does because of its size might still throw off a sniffer test.

T1R is supposedly working on a replacement for both primary and secondary cats that will have aftermarket cats in place, but hopefully will flow more than the stock pieces. Though I will most likely just end up with the J's pieces. Haven't given up completely on getting a custom Ti setup. Sent an email to Tanabe-San at Amuse asking if any chance of doing a one-off as well as to M&M Honda. And even with the negative email I received from Kent Works about my lack of Japanese and their willingness to work with me, I'm going to go straight to their door and see what they have to say.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:24 PM
Well on the Fit it is 4 pieces. The GE doesn't have an exhaust manifold really since it is part of the block's cast. From that comes the primary cat, downpipe with second cat, mid-pipe and canister. The 3 pieces I was talking about connect up to the primary cat. If someone were to pick up the WeaponR piece, it will replace the primary and secondary cats.

I should of said 3 of the 4 pieces in my original post, but since there isn't many companies producing a replacement for the primary cat I kind of shunned it to the side and replacing 3 of the 4 should still keep one legal as a cat is still in service. Though how much cleaning up it does because of its size might still throw off a sniffer test.

T1R is supposedly working on a replacement for both primary and secondary cats that will have aftermarket cats in place, but hopefully will flow more than the stock pieces. Though I will most likely just end up with the J's pieces. Haven't given up completely on getting a custom Ti setup. Sent an email to Tanabe-San at Amuse asking if any chance of doing a one-off as well as to M&M Honda. And even with the negative email I received from Kent Works about my lack of Japanese and their willingness to work with me, I'm going to go straight to their door and see what they have to say.
Thanks for the reply.

My prior reply about "speculation" is in reference to the discrepancy in weight quoted by J's and shown by Soo (jkskrn) in his pic. He shows the stock muffler+midpipe to weigh 11.0. Whereas per J's data, the stock muffler+midpipe equal ~24 lbs. That's a big discrepancy in weight...and if Soo's scale is correct...then the total weight reduction with J's Ti muffler would only be 7 lbs!!! Clearly this is not worth the nearly $1000 bucks for all 3 pieces...and illustrates why this thread is so important.

Stock exhaust --> Muffler + midpipe (11 lbs per Soo's data) + secondary cat (8 lbs per J's data) = 19 lbs

J's Ti exhaust --> Muffler + midpipe + secondary cat (12 lbs per J's data) = 12 lbs

That is a savings of only 7 lbs...less than than the 15 lbs I quoted earlier, and dramatically less than the 19.5 lbs you originally quoted from J's. Maybe I'm just confused....please let me know if my numbers are wrong.

Last edited by blackndecker; 05-11-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by Tork
LOL too funny, hey going to be in Orlando on the 20-22nd (2 shows nightly at the comedy clu...) naw, with the family, kids to Disney etc. Let's get together if we can!

back on topic, man I want to do the aluminum rear 1st gen Insight drums (Spoon race car pic), only like $60 ea at Bernardi, however something else is involved and I can't seem to be able to find that out.
Excellent find!!! The insight drums are 19-35 bucks each on Car-part.com. I'm gonna order a set tomorrow and get my mechanic to take a look at what it would take for the swap. And I will definitely weigh each set

Last edited by blackndecker; 05-11-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:40 PM
5 Year Member
Actually Soo's picture shows just the canister weighing 11lbs. The stock mid-pipe is still on his car if I am not mistaken and he hasn't weighed it. I believe J's weights are right in the neighborhood, maybe they are a few grams off give or take.

Thanks for those of you who have + repped. It will be red for quite a long time as my score is something like -1.9 billion. It was at like -2.5 billion when it first went red. hahahaha I don't really care so much, because as I stated before, red is my favorite color. My only concern is some will not seriously take what I have to say because of some graphic on their screen. Oh well, I will still answer and provide information when/where I can and leave it up to the individual to decide. I won't change my ways though to suck up to anyone and will always say what is on my mind, sometimes the truth (or my opinion) hurts. Get over it, they are only words afterall.

Last edited by 555sexydrive; 05-11-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blackndecker
Excellent find!!! The insight drums are 19-35 bucks each on Car-part.com. I'm gonna order a set tomorrow and get my mechanic to take a look at what it would take for the swap. And I will definitely weigh each set
order one drum maybe, not sure what is involved, although Spoon made it work. http://www.bernardiparts.com/SearchOptions.aspxi might go to Bernardi for something like that

Member Kelsodeez may know, one of the few who really knows the intricate details. and you want 1st gen insight not second gen.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member
Hey guys I'm looking into Titanium springs right now. I will know more in a few weeks but looks like I can get custom springs made and save about 40% in weight!!

Old 05-11-2010, 11:30 PM
5 Year Member
Tork, sure hit me up whenever u r in Orlando! I live about 25 mins from Disney so I have no problem meeting. Also if u haven't book the hotel, I can hook u up with some cheap rates at Wyndam hotel on International Drive (My best friend works there)
555sexydrive, yeah, I still have my stock everything other than the HKS exhaust I got pulled over so many times (and paid so many tickets) when I had my Z4 which had supersprint headers, racing cat, straight pipes, and exhaust top of boosted engine. I don't plan on adding anything on exhaust system (watch, I ma gonna get the downpipes and stuff next month...) since it's pretty much bagging police for tickets driving a Honda with a loud exhaust

Old 05-11-2010, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
So, I'm planing on going to a truck stop near my house to weight the car this weekend with my "white" friends so that they don't call cops on me lol Wish me luck!!!

Old 05-11-2010, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member
ok guys I'll have weights for sport wheels and tires, springs, and rotors up before the weekend is over.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member
Good luck Soo, maybe find one of those mullet hats and wear it. Well maybe if you were north of the mason/dixie line of Florida...Gainesville. Going off topic here, but I remember driving up to Panama City Beach from Ft. Lauderdale and having to stop off to get gas, the town was Greenville if I am not mistaken and I swear it was like a scene from Deliverance. Overalls, no shirt or shoes is the how the person running the station was dressed. I could hear in the background, "squeal like a pig".

Old 05-12-2010, 01:38 AM
5 Year Member
i can't remember where i got this from, but here's a bigger pic of the 1st gen insight's aluminum rear drums. geek on...

Old 05-12-2010, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by teamkitty
i can't remember where i got this from, but here's a bigger pic of the 1st gen insight's aluminum rear drums. geek on...
I just ordered a set from a local salvage yard, 2001 Honda insight. $58 bucks for a set (with ABS) shipped. I'll keep you guys posted on the install...and I'll take plenty of pics.

If this goes smoothly, I'll swap the stock calipers for the aluminum 1st gen insight's as well...and I'll add some "green stuff" brake pads at the same time.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by jkskrn
Actually Soo's picture shows just the canister weighing 11lbs. The stock mid-pipe is still on his car if I am not mistaken and he hasn't weighed it.
So, that is not the mid-pipe coming off the muffler (left side of pic)? If not, then it would appear that J's numbers are right on. Thanks for the info Chris.

Good luck Soo, maybe find one of those mullet hats and wear it. Well maybe if you were north of the mason/dixie line of Florida...Gainesville. Going off topic here, but I remember driving up to Panama City Beach from Ft. Lauderdale and having to stop off to get gas, the town was Greenville if I am not mistaken and I swear it was like a scene from Deliverance. Overalls, no shirt or shoes is the how the person running the station was dressed. I could hear in the background, "squeal like a pig".
This reminds of the Top Gear episode where the trio went to Alabama and painted "Hillary for president," "Man Love is Best," and "Country western is rubbish" on the side of their cars. Hilarity ensues...

Last edited by blackndecker; 05-12-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by bmxman
ok guys I'll have weights for sport wheels and tires, springs, and rotors up before the weekend is over.
Keep us posted.:thumbup:

On a separate note, I just called Progress Group (i.e. progress springs) and the boxed weight for the set is 21 lbs. She said that is not estimated shipping weight, they actually take the box and stick it on a scale. The box+stickers+instructions maybe weighs 10 oz. So 20 lbs might be a reasonable weight.

Hopefully swapping to aluminum rotors in the rear and aluminum calipers up front will get me back to neutral...

To the poster above re: titanium springs. Be careful...suspension is an area that performance trumps weight. If the spring rates are off, it's not going to matter how much weight you save. Might want to call the company about the spring rates and compare it to the chart that has been compiled in the "suspension" section. Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by blackndecker; 05-12-2010 at 12:57 PM.

Quick Reply: ***Official GE Parts/Weight List***