2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

stock shocks + lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 12:15 AM
5 Year Member
stock shocks + lowering springs

Anyone have a problem so far with what the title says? How long did your stocks last?

Old 05-01-2010, 01:07 AM
I just got a set of eibach pro-kit installed on oem shocks like a week ago
the only thing i dont like, is the fact that you'd feel every bump on the road
like wt most people would say, aftermarket springs will definitely decrease the life of your stocks and the rate of decrease will also depend heavily how you drive your car.

assuming its just DD and the road conditions that you'd normally drive on isn't that bad, i think it'll last you at least 2 years?

the amount of money u put in, particularly in suspensions, is usually proportional to the quality and duration of your product.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:21 AM
Yeah I agree^^^ but in gonna stress everybump every lowered fit or car for that matter that I have driven or rode in u feel every bum bump bump bump

Old 05-01-2010, 02:10 AM
5 Year Member
Swift Mach Springs use a harder steel alloy, have only 5 coils, have as much travel that is possible with a firm but comfortable ride. I put some on my car and helped put some on a GE that belongs to another freak and they are as pleased as I am with mine. They are engineered to work with stock shocks and struts and are the best selling springs in Japan. I did the Eibach thing over 20 years ago and swore off lowering springs until I found these...... They don't Slam your car down in the weeds low but they don't skitter you out on bumpy turns, destroy your strut towers and make your dash rattle either.

Last edited by Texas Coyote; 05-01-2010 at 02:19 AM.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:35 AM
5 Year Member
ive had tanabe DF's for about a year and give or take 1-2 months. i love the ride height, could go a little lower, but im running on stock shocks. ive notice the past few months, the ride is a little more bumpier...maybe the shocks are beginning to go out...idk...coilovers are the way to go. if you can't afford it, be patience and wait til you can

Old 05-01-2010, 02:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
They don't Slam your car down in the weeds low but they don't skitter you out on bumpy turns, destroy your strut towers and make your dash rattle either.
I've only had the car a couple of days, but I've read over a bunch of old threads and have heard these mentioned quite a bit. Any pics? I am looking for a mild lowering spring, and by your description of the coils, they sound like a linear design, which is what I want also. Sorry, don't mean to derail the thread.

edit: nevermind, looks like btrthnezr3 has them on her car. Didn't realize that.

Last edited by hayden; 05-01-2010 at 03:06 AM.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:25 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah, I helped out on her car's installation. ... She loves them.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:49 AM
5 Year Member
Well, number three might be joining the crew soon. Those look like the ones.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:29 AM
I've had my car lowered on Tanabe DF's w/ stock shocks for over a year now and the ride is exactly the same as when I first put them on. The Fit is not the smoothest ride stock IMO (short wheel base doesn't help) so I didn't notice a big difference in ride quality when I lowered mine.
Just for reference I've had my past three cars lowered on spring w/ stock shocks. My Integra lasted over 80K and CL Type S lasted over 70K on stock shocks. Now if your doing heavy heavy hauling heavier duty shocks in the back might not be a bad idea.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
I cannot stress enough how much I love the Swift Springs...

Here are some pics.

Name:  IMG_4578.jpg
Views: 8467
Size:  111.1 KB

Name:  IMG_4615.jpg
Views: 2916
Size:  130.9 KB

The ride is great! It rides smooth as silk on regular roads and gets firmer only on bumps. And even then, it's not "rough" it's just firmer.

I've ridden in cars with buddy club coilovers (really harsh), Ground Control's (eibachs on sleeves--pretty nice, but stiff), HFP Suspension (my favorite next to my Swift's but they were $800 for my EP and discontinued now)...

So, for the $250 I paid for my Swift's, I don't feel I could have done any better!

Keep in mind that I am a woman, and have a family and 2 step kids...
No one complains about the ride.

They thought for the first week or so it was a little stiff--but the springs have been on for a few months now, and they said the springs/ride feels better and they don't mind it at all.

Last edited by Btrthnezr3; 05-01-2010 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
Her experiences with the Swift Machs mirror mine..... My car has a feel more like a much costlier European luxury performance sedan than a Japanese econobox since I installed mine.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:38 PM
5 Year Member
This is the reason im nervous to lower. I will play it safe and wait for coilovers. It kind of reminds me of PNP HID vs Retrofit HID only with springs.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:46 PM
5 Year Member
Lyon, why nervous?

I've only had 2k on my springs--but I will report if there are any changes.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Btrthnezr3
Lyon, why nervous?

I've only had 2k on my springs--but I will report if there are any changes.
I put my springs a few days before her's went on her car and they are fine.... Most springs are sold and used for superficial cosmetic reasons and lack the travel that the Swift Mach springs or stock springs have and the piston to cylinder wear is concentrated over a fraction of the area that it should be and will ruin the shock..... If you limit the travel for a low low look with coil overs the results will be the same over time.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:09 PM
5 Year Member
man i wish you guys live close to me.. i want to lower my car too. but had to much experience in the past from how bad they drive after a year or so of installing them WITHOUT new struts and shocks.

I had several Eibach's in the past and they did not ride smooth untill i teamed them up with some Tokico Blues

Old 05-01-2010, 11:39 PM
5 Year Member
i've put 20,000km on my swift springs already...don't have anything to complain about. if you take good care of ur car, it should take good care of u lol

Old 05-02-2010, 02:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vash
man i wish you guys live close to me.. i want to lower my car too. but had to much experience in the past from how bad they drive after a year or so of installing them WITHOUT new struts and shocks.

I had several Eibach's in the past and they did not ride smooth untill i teamed them up with some Tokico Blues
You are on the right path.... Tokico is the same company that manufactures the Swift Mach Springs..... They are the springs to buy if you desire a better handling car without screwing up the comfort quality..... The springs sold to accommodate the crowd that is more concerned with perfect stance, negative camber, stretched tires, smashed oil pans and shortening the life of CV joints wouldn't appreciate Swift Machs because they are engineered to enhance the driving quality of cars that are owned by people that are driving enthusiast that would rather drive in a sporting manner in comfort and not have to worry about superficial cosmetic trends that only contribute negatively to the driving experience.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
I'm hoping we get some beefier aftermarket shocks in the future (GE's) so we can upgrade that way as well.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
With lighter wheels and tires the stock shocks have the same effect as stiffer shocks in quickly suppressing suspension movement after hitting bumps or making quick changes in direction.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
Where is the best place to order the Swift springs?

Also, what are the specs on them (lowering amount and spring rates?) Their site only has info for the GD model.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: stock shocks + lowering springs