2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Why do so many members derail topics with "the Fit is not a sports car" comment

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 09:59 AM
5 Year Member
Why do so many members derail topics with "the Fit is not a sports car" comment

I just do not get why people of this mindset bother to hang out on an enthusiast forum??????????

comments along the lines of.......

Why do an intake, the Fit is not a sports car, shoulda got a S2000
MT is dumb for a Fit, it is not a sports car!
comments of this type that try to dismiss many topics here, it is many people's dumb answer when they can't manage to post anything of value or intelligence. It happens all too often ad nauseum.

I got news for you, guys modify lawn mowers to get that little bit extra out of them.

True, the FIT is NOT a 2 seat rear drive roadster....... Sports Car

Consider this...........
The Fit is as fast or faster than........
Many 1980-1990's Corvettes, BMW, Porsche, Jaguar, most Miata up thru 1996, many RX-7 etc etc

And the Fit out handles many of those cars as well!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually the heart and soul of the Fit's driving experience is much like the original incarnations of Sports Cars.

It is an injustice to the Fit and the Fit enthusiast to derail topics in this much abused manner.

Thanks for enduring my little rant

Last edited by Tork; 04-30-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:21 AM
I agree with you! The Fit may not be a $50,000 Sports car from an exotic country somwhere in Europe, but if you read any car magazine these days they describe the fit as the best handling and most fun to drive car in it's class. The Fit is not about numbers (ie 0-60). It is about the fun to drive aspect. It's about how good it makes you feel as you take that cloverleaf, or zip away from a stop light! The fit is about bright summer days, a good song on the radio and feeling free and easy!

Old 04-30-2010, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by Tork
I just do not get why people of this mindset bother to hang out on an enthusiast forum??????????

comments along the lines of.......

comments of this type that try to dismiss many topics here, it is many people's dumb answer when they can't manage to post anything of value or intelligence. It happens all too often ad nauseum.

I got news for you, guys modify lawn mowers to get that little bit extra out of them.

True, the FIT is NOT a 2 seat read drive roadster.......
but consider backing off the worthless comments......please!

Consider this...........
Many 1980-1990's Corvettes, BMW, Porsche, Jaguar, most Miata up thru 1996, many RX-7 etc etc

And the Fit out handles many of those cars as well!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually the heart and soul of the Fit's driving experience is much like the original incarnations of Sports Cars.

It is an injustice to the Fit and the Fit enthusiast to derail topics in this much abused manner.

Thanks for enduring my little rant
It's just an example of a comparison to modern day cars people use.
It wasn't originally designed / intended to be a sports car but with a little blood, sweat and tears you can make anything a sports car.
For example....
YouTube - Smart with Hayabusa engine
YouTube - gekke dingen met auto's
YouTube - Smart Car using a Suzuki Hayabusa 1300cc & the Ferrari Race

Old 04-30-2010, 10:26 AM

Consider this...........
Maybe they say things you think are stupid just as you say things that others might think are stupid. Like the above.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:27 AM
5 Year Member
i hate when people say that. i drove a crx si for 6 years and loved the ride and the amount of fun i had and i had full suspension and a swap .. when i drive my fit i love driving it just as much, ofcourse i miss the speed and acceleration of a car double the horsepower but the fit handles great and hugs turns like my crx used to and thats just wth lowering springs. i just ordered coilovers so i expect a ride just as sporty as my crx.. it may not be a sports car to some people because of the little amount of horse power but so what, sports cars are not all about speed handling is a BIG factor when it comes down to business .

Old 04-30-2010, 10:58 AM
5 Year Member
It's more poilite then them calling rice on you, don't cha' think?

Old 04-30-2010, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by whaap
Maybe they say things you think are stupid just as you say things that others might think are stupid. Like the above.
so you are saying what you quoted me below is stupid????????

Consider this...........
Well maybe not so stupid, DO YOUR HOMEWORK!

C&D published 1/4 for a GE MT is 16.6

now go to this site and PROVE what you quote me on is stupid
http://www.exoticcarsite.com/0-60-qu...mile-times.htm

Originally Posted by jondotcom
It's more poilite then them calling rice on you, don't cha' think?
eeeewww, better be nice or we will call rice.

just kidding, but seriously. what about my car pictured below is rice? What are the things that in your opinion make a car ricey?

Last edited by Tork; 04-30-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:16 AM
5 Year Member
The Fit is such a versatile automobile that I think it appeals to a diverse audience for very different reasons.

Some people like it for it's economy, cargo versatility, some for it's looks, relatively low entry price point,..

Some people will buy one off the lot, and never really think of adding any major modifications. Some will buy because they want to modify.

I think those that use the phrase "The Fit is not a Sports Car" are simply deflecting criticism. Either about a modification they feel is unnecessary OR statements about performance. It's just like threads about road noise, someone will inevitably make the statement that The Fit isn't a high end luxury automobile.

For me? Yes, The Fit isn't a sports car. But it IS a sporty car. Given the size, the weight and the handling characteristics the feedback when driving The Fit is very "sporty". For me it's a relatively new automobile, but I have found that I do just enjoy driving it. It's fun. Is it challenge the BMW or Porshe fast? Of course not, but IMO The Fit embodies the old cliche "It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow". .....and IMO for most sane, reasonable urban applications, The Fit has plenty of acceleration capabilities....even if it "isn't a sports car".

Old 04-30-2010, 11:17 AM
5 Year Member

True, the FIT is NOT a 2 seat rear drive roadster.......

Hey watch it pal, my fit IS a two seater.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by baylorbro
Hey watch it pal, my fit IS a two seater.
LOLOL, mine was a 2 seater for 6 months, now it is a 3 seater (had to put one back in as my daughters are in multiple sports mode)

Old 04-30-2010, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
The Fit is such a versatile automobile that I think it appeals to a diverse audience for very different reasons.

Some people like it for it's economy, cargo versatility, some for it's looks, relatively low entry price point,..

You are really touching on a broader point and it is good one.

I guess I view the "Fit is not a sports car, shouda got a s200" comments as like

posting up, "the fit is not a hybrid, shoulda got a Prius" where somebody starts a thread on improving fuel economy

or posting "the fit is not a highway bill board' on a thread about iVTEC stickers and RS badges.

You hit the nail, the Fit is many thing to many different people. I am not particularly into the sticker/badge thing, I do not pause to dis the folks who are into that type of thing. I just go to what does interest me and mine the nuggets of oft times great information and ideas.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by fitchet
Yes, The Fit isn't a sports car. But it IS a sporty car.
This is about as accurate a statement as can be made. But the Fit is still not a sports car. I go by what its classified by from the manufacturers and how all other cars are classified.

I have an Acura Integra Type R that I drive at HPDE/racetracks, its a pretty phenomenal car, and can take on a lot of other higher end cars. The sole reason Honda designed, manufactured and sold them to the public was so that they could meet the requirements to enter its chassis into Group N racing. The DMV calls the Integra base model and Type R a "compact car". The term "sport compact car" is different, and although some people like to refer to them as such, its not what they're classified as. Its still just a compact car, a "grocery getter".

And if this isn't a sports car, than the Fit definately isnt

Can the Fit be made to be faster than a sports car, sure. But it still won't be a sports car, it will be a sub-compact car, whopping on sports cars.

Last edited by Koala Yummies; 04-30-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:46 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
The Fit won our first trophy for 2010 in a new class that I had never seen offered at any other local show. They named their top four Sports Compact Imports in no specific order. We all won the same size trophy - but the Fit was included with a TC, VW GTI - there were other micro imports but these cars were selected by the judges as the top four. They also judged their top four Sports Compact American made cars including several vets, focus etc.

Cat :x

Old 04-30-2010, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member
Cheers Tork brother! I'm getting sick of ignorant people here in the forum as well . I wonder why these people care so much about other people's car while they don't even change their engine oil proper... It's like a 5'-0" 350lb guy talking crap about other people going to McDonalds and order super size meal... (no offence if u r big and like McDonalds supersize meal lol) That's y I love countries like North Korea. Stupid people get killed! lol jk

Old 04-30-2010, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member
It is lunacy to deny the performance and handling of the Fit.... Just because it has rear drum brakes instead of disk a simple torsion beam rear suspension instead of full independent, 5 doors instead of 2 and so on.... At the same time the car is denigrated for lacking luxury items, having an inexpensive interior that attracts lint without enough heavy sound deadening material and the list goes on.... The thing that pops up all of the time is that the Fit has a low compression ratio engine and isn't for racing yet Honda is producing the L15A engine for a new open wheel class racing class to replace the Formula Ford class, is relatively a stock 10.4:1 CR engine with only exhaust and intake changes and I seriously doubt that the racers will choose to use regular 87 octane fuel ..... The same type of mentality was around in the early 70s when the VW Beetle was the car of choice of many enthusiast and even today the air cooled VW dune buggies compete and are even used by Navy Seal teams and Marine Corps Force Recon Teams in special ops in the middle east..... It is apparent that most of the people that can only see the Fit as something to use to display expensive JDM products and scoot around at low speeds so as not to scrape off functional parts and then brag about it when they do, or those that think that a company that builds some of the most competitive racing engines in history could build a car for only economical operation having no performance potential, are those that are negative about the Fit as a car that has the potential to kick butt on about any other car in it's price range and class.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:01 PM
5 Year Member
Just wanted to share this with y'all

YouTube - Here's Your Sign Part 3

Old 04-30-2010, 01:29 PM
I chose the Fit because of its versalitlity. It handles great, it has very good speed, although I must say there are much faster cars on the street within the fit's price range. Well at least here in mexico we have the Seat Ibiza from VW. But the real advantage is that the Fit is a car I can have now and it looks sporty and if I decide to have kids later on in life I can still use the Fit. I can also go on long trips and I'm still able to fit all my bags in the car, good luck doing that in a mini.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by jkskrn
Just wanted to share this with y'all

YouTube - Here's Your Sign Part 3
Note to self, do not click on jkskrn's links.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:46 PM
HEAR HEAR!

What really bugs me are the comments along the lines of:
"It is only a 1.5L why use..." or "It is only 117hp, why do..."

For comparison.
Fit engine 1.5L, 117hp, 78 hp per liter
Corvette 6.2L, 430hp, 69 hp per liter
Viper 8.4L, 600hp, 71 hp per liter

The Fit may not be a high performance car but it does have a high performance engine.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Schadenfreude
HEAR HEAR!

What really bugs me are the comments along the lines of:
"It is only a 1.5L why use..." or "It is only 117hp, why do..."

For comparison.
Fit engine 1.5L, 117hp, 78 hp per liter
Corvette 6.2L, 430hp, 69 hp per liter
Viper 8.4L, 600hp, 71 hp per liter

The Fit may not be a high performance car but it does have a high performance engine.
Idiots aren't capable of realizing that.

Quick Reply: Why do so many members derail topics with "the Fit is not a sports car" comment