2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Why do so many members derail topics with "the Fit is not a sports car" comment

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
Gran Turismo taught me that a faster car is not always more fun than a slower one. Power is just a crutch to make up for a driver's inability to choose the correct racing line.
A girl I knew in high school drove a 1960 Corvair with 2 speed Powerglide and I would have hell catching up with her on residential streets in an Austin Healey 3000 with 4speed manual with overdrive on 3rd and 4th..... That Corvair was a lot more fun than the Healey mainly because what went on in the backseat when I did catch up. The after market wouldn't be producing the type of power enhancement, suspension upgrades and so many other things for the Fit if it wasn't already proven to be worth the effort. I am expecting 110 WHP per liter and 15lbs per WHP and it is possible the power ratios could be even higher My Healey 3 liter made 12OBHP per 22.5 lbs and it was just under the XKE Jaguar in price and performance and was being demolished by the performance versions of the Austin Mini Coopers on the track...... It's odd that The Fit is relegated to being an econobox in the closed minds of those that can't accept it for what it's potential is and the open minds of international sports car racing has chosen the L15A to replace the Formula Ford Class with the new Formula Four open wheel racing class..... I need to get around to checking out the possibility of some fun in the back with the seats down......

Last edited by Texas Coyote; 05-03-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wilcoholic
Come on! Look at this car. It's a 4-door, 4-seat HATCHBACK and it's almost as tall as me. How could this possible be a sports car? Look at it. Then look at the specs.

And everyone is bragging about the fits handling. But has anyone ever did a turn at around 50mph? Or a slalom. I am personally not going to find out because I am too afraid it would roll over. Just look how tall it is.

I feel offended because it makes me look like a dumbass for wanting an audi r8 when I clearly already have a nice sports car.
I don't think anyone would ever in their right mind call the Fit a sports car. With that being said, it can provide the driver with quite the sporting sensation when pushed around a circuit or another arena that will allow the driver to go all out. It still won't be the fastest thing on track, but I don't think anyone would dare say that either, but the right driver behind the wheel could have it lap quicker than cars that it shouldn't even be in the same area code with.

Here is one that I'm pretty sure is going over 81km/h(50.2mph)

Can not hardly wait to be able to put mine out on a circuit and push the damn thing to its limits (or mine maybe). As Type100 has stated, the real joy of the Fit is it will let you know if you are a driver or just one that thinks s/he is.

About the height, well it was already pinged on by GBaby, but the Fit is not really tall, I would reckon to say it is right around the same height as the EP3R and that car participated in BTCC (or whatever the series name was).

Old 05-03-2010, 05:04 AM
5 Year Member

Whoa three-wheel action! Nice.

Even with that, I'm very sure it's nowhere near tipping over. Old-school Peugeot and Renault hot hatches from the 1980s and 1990s were notable for the same entertaining antics.

And yes that was BTCC the old EP3 Civic Type R participated in.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:08 AM
Wow great pic I like it

Last edited by crash001; 05-03-2010 at 05:12 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tork
Motor Week said the FIT was one of the fastest cars they have ever had thru the slalom. You have to think physics, shorter/lighter/narrower has a huge advantage over longer/wider/heavier for handling particularlly for slalom.
Watch some of the you tube videos.
+1

Just to add: In pure lane-change speed, the Fit trumped the C6 Corvette in instrumented testing, courtesy of Car and Driver.

It's still no sports car...but it clearly doesn't have to be!

Old 05-03-2010, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member
I don't see how anyone can make a relevant comparison between cars made 10-40 years ago vs. cars today. Obviously we have come a long way in technology so you simply can't compare a 07-10 fit to cars from 1960-1980.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bmxman
I don't see how anyone can make a relevant comparison between cars made 10-40 years ago vs. cars today. Obviously we have come a long way in technology so you simply can't compare a 07-10 fit to cars from 1960-1980.

Direct comparisons, agreed. But the OP's intention I believe was to point out some of the whiners about the Fit's "apparent" lack of sportiness/power/handling/whatever, in relation to what we used to consider fast/sporty, etc, the Fit is a pretty great car in those terms. Sure, a Corvette today runs rings around the Fit as an econobox, but the Corvette(or pick your favorite sports car) of yesteryear which some held as bench marks for handling, speed, etc, get shown the door by most of today's basic economy cars.

Basically I think he was saying, it's a pretty damn nice car for a basic standard, when back then, our basic standard, was yesteryear's "performance".

Old 05-03-2010, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
Apples to Oranges

You can compare anything to anything... apples to oranges. That's what makes discussions fun. By the way, the 1908 Stanley Steamer could beat the pants off any Honda Fit in the first 50 feet, and could travel much faster in reverse. The Fit would still win in the slalom. Now that's a comparison.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
The C6 Corvette is the current generation, not something from 1960-1980.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Type 100
The C6 Corvette is the current generation, not something from 1960-1980.
Really...lol I was referring to the OP's original post...sorry might not have been specific enough.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
How about a DOHC belt drive cam 4 valve per cylinder engine built by Peugot that won the 1914 Indianapolis 500...... Most of the fast cars of today are less of a sports car than many of what is today referred to being of that genre Being able to accelerate or have a triple digit top speed is not even a prerequisite for a small displacement sports car... There have been a lot of engineering and technical developments that have improved the overall performance of transportation in general but the relationship between man and machine has suffered greatly because of it..... The sports cars of today are more akin to appliances than to machines of the past that offered little if any luxury, convenience or power assist items and required dedication, skill, sweat and blood to drive and maintain.... They were far and few in numbers like were the dedicated people that drove, maintained and loved them.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
and some cars of the brands I mentioned from the 90's

OK then, I would say the MT Fit is as fast or faster than more than half the cars on the market today (which of course includes includes minivans, suv's, 4 cyl Camry etc)

If you do not want to mod you car, that is fine. But why knock the guy who wants to and exaggerate the cost on top of it?
The Fit IS a worthy platform, a true 'world car' available in almost every country. And it could be one of the most modified cars in the world, certainly Honda's are widely modified in general.
Faster than Today's C6 Corvette in slalom or lane change? Yes, it is not your run of the mill Yaris

Mods can actually cost way less than what you think, check this out
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...tml#post851036
And I have gotten way more than $600 of enjoyment

Last edited by Tork; 05-05-2010 at 12:50 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tork
Faster than Today's C6 Corvette in slalom or lane change? Yes, it is not your run of the mill Yaris
And all on a very inferior suspension setup. (yes I'm being quite sarcastic) Sure it could handle even better with double wishbones front/rear, but then it would lose a ton of interior space and wouldn't be the car it is.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
And all on a very inferior suspension setup. (yes I'm being quite sarcastic) Sure it could handle even better with double wishbones front/rear, but then it would lose a ton of interior space and wouldn't be the car it is.
I'm not sure that it would handle any better with 2X wishbones on all corners.. That silly cheap little torsion beam doohicky is pretty impressive. .... Even though the Fit is a less is more type of car by todays standards, it would be even better if it was offered with much less crap than it has..... That is what appeals to a purist that is entertained by driving and servicing his or her own car. there are hundreds of pounds of crap that a person really can do without that would make the Fit a very strong performer and safer due to faster response to avoid accidents. Air bags are stupid and dangerous at times where a racing harness is used in cars that crash at very high speeds and people walk away from them many more times than not..... In the sixties you could get a car the way you wanted and there was many a car ordered with minimal everything but engine, drive train and suspension, screw A/C, power steering, carpets, power windows, heaters, radios and appearance items..... You can't even find a so called sports car like that anymore and that is just wrong.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:52 AM
5 Year Member
Mine came with out audio stock. The wiring was there and I wasn't expecting speakers, but when I put my own headunit in and hooked it up, I heard sounds. I do agree with you, I so wish Honda would have offered a race base version of the Fit like they used to with the EF, EG, EK Civics and DC2 Teggy. I would of went that route for sure. About the power steering, on my previous Civics I always removed the belt from the pump and just 1 of the 4 times did I actually remove the pump itself (2 of the other 3 times was just laziness and the cars were eventually junked, the other had the pump off and put back on when I sold the car to a friend). With the electrical power steering setup now, haven't really looked into how easy it might be to disable it. Being though that it is electric, their is not that parasitic drag on the drivetrain like the hydro systems and the weight doesn't equate either. So that was somewhat a step in the right direction for the manufacturers.

Speaking of the airbags, in my Teggy, just 3 months new some lady decided I didn't exist and then got the deer in the headlights syndrome and wouldn't apply her brakes and as much as I tried to avoid, she still turned into my driver's side fender. When we made impact the airbags deployed and it blocked my vision as I was heading left off the roadway into a parking lot and ended up stopping about 15" from a huge electrical pole in the sidewalk. Thankfully I didn't impact with that as it would of done much more damage to the vehicle. So from that day, I disable the airbag and replace with a standard wheel and the Teggy didn't have it's airbags replaced when it was repaired. I know there are many that will shout foul or I'm stupid for bypassing a safety feature, but damn how many years did cars go without seatbelts even? I do wear my seatbelt at all times and a full harness when doing a motorsports event. I won't wear a full harness on the street, to me that is dumb as you are strapped down and you can't really see to your sides. I tried it one time and as I was coming out to a main roadway from an inclinded side street, I was unable to really see if cars were coming from my right. At that moment I said these were made for one purpose and the street is not it. The way I look at it, if it's my time to go it's my time to go. Cars are so bloated with safety crap, now cars in the US have to come with VSA? WTF is this about. STOP giving everyone a damn license so easily and make sure people know car control...put them out on an auto-x course with a time to beat to qualify for a license. Going around a block, parallel parking, backing up 50' and coming to a complete stop at a stop sign does not make one a good driver. If that was done, the bloatiness of today's vehicles would go away. On top of that, 5000+lb SUV's need to have a new class of license. A regular Class C license should not equate to driving a land missle.

Let me stop now or I will just go on and on.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:20 PM
Just did a little snooping on Google

If we believe in the printed word:

0 to 60

Honda Fit 8.3 seconds
71 Corvette 7.1 to 5.3 seconds depending on which engine
87 Porsche 911 5.7 seconds
02 Miata 7.2 seconds

I suppose a lot depends on what you mean by fastest.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:41 PM
5 Year Member
another officially derailled topic

Old 05-05-2010, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by runbikerun
another officially derailled topic
Maybe you could help me with a little "forum etiquette". How is responding to the OP considered derailing?

Old 05-05-2010, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by whaap
Maybe you could help me with a little "forum etiquette". How is responding to the OP considered derailing?
You are right. Please continue! I was only saying that the thread has left it's original course. Happy trails!

Old 05-05-2010, 11:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by whaap
Just did a little snooping on Google

If we believe in the printed word:

0 to 60

Honda Fit 8.3 seconds
71 Corvette 7.1 to 5.3 seconds depending on which engine
87 Porsche 911 5.7 seconds
02 Miata 7.2 seconds

I suppose a lot depends on what you mean by fastest.
Originally Posted by runbikerun
another officially derailed topic
Yeah, derailed by poor reading comprehension LOL
I said some or many, and that was not a year I mentioned on the Miata!!!!!!!!!!!! This is what I said
Consider this...........
The Fit is as fast or faster than........
Many 1980-1990's Corvettes, BMW, Porsche, Jaguar, most Miata up thru 1996, many RX-7 etc etc
I do not get it, the Nissan forums I used to hang out on are just not like this. Rather than try to shoot holes with "why lighten your car, just go on a diet" "Why mod it, it is just an econo box"..people actually got on board with topics.

I think I may spend my time on a sewing forum, and post up "why you biotches making cloths? You can buy nice Asian sweat shop stuff cheaper than you can buy material"

I really hate to gripe, but for the Fit enthusiast who likes to individualize their cars, I do not know what to say.........

Quick Reply: Why do so many members derail topics with "the Fit is not a sports car" comment