2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Why do so many members derail topics with "the Fit is not a sports car" comment

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Koala Yummies

What I'm trying to get at is Honda really squeezes the power out of their engines (they should know how, they make the most internal combustion engines in the world) and they're tuned so well that it takes a lot of money, research and testing to find out where you can still find some gain, while keeping it as reliable as Honda does. On the Fit, many people, smartly, don't see much of a benefit of spending hundreds of dollars for each bolt on part, for a few wheel horsepower.
Exactly...I mean I could care less what others do to their Fit...but no way am I going to install an intake, exhaust and header on the fit and spend over $750 for 6 HP....it's just not logical.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:29 PM
5 Year Member
just do you, them haters are going to hate. wrd.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by bmxman
lol..you think the Fit will out handle a Corvette, Porsche, Miata or RX-7???...how many of those cars have you actually driven? I can tell you from experience you're wrong!!
i'd bet on a Fit v. a C3 or C4 corvette

Old 05-01-2010, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
Obviousy no one has ever heard of doing it for the shiggles. Shiggles (noun): Shits n' Giggles.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:03 PM
5 Year Member
True, the Fit ain't a sports car...but it can hold its own on a track.

It doesn't equate that having a sports car automatically makes one fast on the track. If anything, the Fit is better for that. In the Fit, a driver has no surfeit of power to help him/her along, or make up for his/her mistakes.

In addition, so many people drive sports cars but don't have a clue how to properly use them. I remember a local actor here crashed his brand-spanking-new R35 Nissan GT-R in the hill roads of Tagaytay City not too long ago...

Old 05-01-2010, 11:10 PM
5 Year Member
Ditto on that, too many sports car owners wouldn't know a racing line from the
line for coffee at starbucks or a camshaft from a half shaft.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:22 AM
Originally Posted by Tork
Well maybe not so stupid, DO YOUR HOMEWORK!

C&D published 1/4 for a GE MT is 16.6

now go to this site and PROVE what you quote me on is stupid
http://www.exoticcarsite.com/0-60-qu...mile-times.htm
I've done enough homework in my life to know that just because something is printed doesn't mean it's true. I've owned a Corvette, I recently sold a Porsche 911 and they were both faster than the 02 Miata I presently own. Since my Miata is clearly faster than my Fit (which I think is a great little car) something tells me the Corvette and the 911 were also faster.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:29 AM
I chose a fit because I couldent aforde the Austin marten I wanted

Old 05-02-2010, 01:27 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by crash001
I chose a fit because I couldent aforde the Austin marten I wanted
this would've been better if you'd actually spelled either word correctly

Old 05-02-2010, 02:58 PM
Come on! Look at this car. It's a 4-door, 4-seat HATCHBACK and it's almost as tall as me. How could this possible be a sports car? Look at it. Then look at the specs.

And everyone is bragging about the fits handling. But has anyone ever did a turn at around 50mph? Or a slalom. I am personally not going to find out because I am too afraid it would roll over. Just look how tall it is.

I feel offended because it makes me look like a dumbass for wanting an audi r8 when I clearly already have a nice sports car.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:32 PM
i love college
^^^ yes i have.. i have tracked my car and i passed an sti, z06, audi tt, and a cobalt ss in the turns. of course on the straights, i waved everyone past me. the only car i couldn't out handle was a jcw mini.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by wilcoholic
Come on! Look at this car. It's a 4-door, 4-seat HATCHBACK and it's almost as tall as me. How could this possible be a sports car? Look at it. Then look at the specs.

And everyone is bragging about the fits handling. But has anyone ever did a turn at around 50mph? Or a slalom. I am personally not going to find out because I am too afraid it would roll over. Just look how tall it is.

I feel offended because it makes me look like a dumbass for wanting an audi r8 when I clearly already have a nice sports car.
what are you like 4 feet tall?

the GE is barely taller than my galant, and the GD is smaller yet

Old 05-02-2010, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by whaap
I've done enough homework in my life to know that just because something is printed doesn't mean it's true. I've owned a Corvette, I recently sold a Porsche 911 and they were both faster than the 02 Miata I presently own. Since my Miata is clearly faster than my Fit (which I think is a great little car) something tells me the Corvette and the 911 were also faster.

Did you not read the original post all the way through or skip a few words? OP was talking about 80's to early 90's versions, which for sports cars of their time, were fast, but get smoked nowadays by regular cars. God, I remember when everyone thought that 82 Corvette was fast. Now, a most freaking KIA's will eat it's lunch at 0-60 and at a skidpad.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by moniz
Did you not read the original post all the way through or skip a few words? OP was talking about 80's to early 90's versions, which for sports cars of their time, were fast, but get smoked nowadays by regular cars. God, I remember when everyone thought that 82 Corvette was fast. Now, a most freaking KIA's will eat it's lunch at 0-60 and at a skidpad.
Yes, I didn't skip any words. The only people who might believe that nonsense about how fast the Fit is are people that haven't owned or driven the 80's to early 90's Corvettes and Porsches.

Last edited by whaap; 05-02-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by Gbaby2089
this would've been better if you'd actually spelled either word correctly
Just trying to derail faster and annoy more people and it worked jk I have a spelling prob sorry if it bugs ya

Old 05-02-2010, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member

YES, I HAVE. Here's proof.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...2282010-a.html
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...best-time.html

Batangas Racing Circuit in particular has at least three turns one has to take at 100 km/h (60 mph) - one of them, "Brian's Corner," is even a double-apex turn. Entry is 100 km/h, optimum exit speed on a 1.3L Jazz is 145 km/h.

Name:  BRC.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  90.3 KB

I've taken the "scary" bit of proving the Fit's handling first-hand so you don't have to. While I've never taken it to the slalom, I've taken it to trackdays and it does not disappoint. It's never felt like it's going to roll over, either. Mind you my Jazz is all STOCK, just 16" wheels and tires.

Others have taken theirs to autocross and the Fit does wonders there too.

I've mentioned this so many times but it's worth repeating. The Fit is a good track car because it handles well, but doesn't give you lots of power. Basically, it trains the driver to improve skill and maintain momentum because that's really the only way you'll be able to drive the Fit fast on a track. If this means exposing the men from the boys, then yes that's what I mean. Fits don't have big power to help you recover from mistakes.

High-powered sports cars - R8, R35 GT-R, Corvette et al - can be too powerful, too heavy, or simply too much of everything for people who don't know what they're doing. I already mentioned a local actor crashing his GT-R in Tagaytay City because he clearly doesn't know what the car's limits are.

Last edited by Type 100; 05-02-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member
I think that all of the complaints from people that consider the Fit slow result from a lack of understanding basic laws of physics and concepts of the utilization of momentum as a means of sustaining speed....To do so would mean learning to do something more than stepping on a pedal to stop or go..... The complexity is just much too overwhelming for some I suppose..... A cross country trip in a 40 HP VW Micro Bus full of stoned hippies was one of the most reinforcing examples of why I learned never use the brake pedal except to come to a complete stop.... 50 MPH maxed out, 45MPH on the return trip with a very light headwind.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by whaap
Reading comprehension>you
Fit is faster than some Corvette, Porsche etc in the years I mentioned.
OK do not believe a compilation of Magazine tests, then why believe what you wrote??????? Just sayin, if everything printed/published is garbage.....

Exactly...I mean I could care less what others do to their Fit...but no way am I going to install an intake, exhaust and header on the fit and spend over $750 for 6 HP....it's just not logical.
Yeah, you are not going to be judgmental, then you turn around and........... well.........
No need to exaggerate either, intake is around 6hp, cost me $250
More importantly I enjoyed installing it and having it.

And I will sell it in a couple years on ebay for prolly $125-150
so I will have had a lot of illogical enjoyment for $100

Last edited by Tork; 05-02-2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member
Gran Turismo taught me that a faster car is not always more fun than a slower one. Power is just a crutch to make up for a driver's inability to choose the correct racing line.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:10 PM
5 Year Member
lol..you think the Fit will out handle a Corvette, Porsche, Miata or RX-7???...how many of those cars have you actually driven? I can tell you from experience you're wrong!!
I have owned 4 Porsche, 2 Corvette, 1 TT RX-7 and probably driven a dozen + others of those brands. Yes, cars have improved that much over 20 years.
And I said faster/better handling than SOME of those models of those makes.

Motor Week said the FIT was one of the fastest cars they have ever had thru the slalom. You have to think physics, shorter/lighter/narrower has a huge advantage over longer/wider/heavier for handling particularlly for slalom.
Watch some of the you tube videos.

Last edited by Tork; 05-02-2010 at 11:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Why do so many members derail topics with "the Fit is not a sports car" comment