2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Why do so many members derail topics with "the Fit is not a sports car" comment

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 01:55 PM
Honda has always been at the top of the output-per-liter race. The ITR had the highest output per liter of any naturally aspirated production car, topped only by the S2K.

The thing is you really don't get much out of those engines, naturally aspirated without spending a LOT of money. The best headers for the ITR cost upwards of $900 for a few wheel-horsepower. The best intake is over $600. Throw a 4.9 final drive in the transmission and guess what, a bone stock ITR with a good driver is still going to be right on your ass, with $3,000 in his wallet.

What I'm trying to get at is Honda really squeezes the power out of their engines (they should know how, they make the most internal combustion engines in the world) and they're tuned so well that it takes a lot of money, research and testing to find out where you can still find some gain, while keeping it as reliable as Honda does. On the Fit, many people, smartly, don't see much of a benefit of spending hundreds of dollars for each bolt on part, for a few wheel horsepower.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks Tork. I think derogatory comments(intended or not) only harm forums like this. Like you said I just go to threads that interest me, there is no need to berate others that simply have other ideas. Keeping tabs on those comments will surely increase usage of the Fitfreak site.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
Why do they do it OP? Because they don't understand why you wouldn't just buy a Sports car instead. I mean, people are made of money, right? There's a lot of people on car enthusiast sites apparently, who are, and it shows in their attitude.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Koala Yummies
Note to self, do not click on jkskrn's links.
Come on mang, I live in great state of Floriduh lol

Old 04-30-2010, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Schadenfreude
HEAR HEAR!

What really bugs me are the comments along the lines of:
"It is only a 1.5L why use..." or "It is only 117hp, why do..."

For comparison.
Fit engine 1.5L, 117hp, 78 hp per liter
Corvette 6.2L, 430hp, 69 hp per liter
Viper 8.4L, 600hp, 71 hp per liter

The Fit may not be a high performance car but it does have a high performance engine.
Wow u win sir... with that said, out of cars I have now Fit has the most HP per liter! NICE...

Fit 1.5L 117HP = 78 HP/L
Xterra 4.0L 265 HP = 66HP/L
CR-V 2.4L 160HP = 66HP/L

Old 04-30-2010, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member
Let me clarify that in no way do I think the Fit is a Sports Car. An obvious fact, so obvious I didnt hammer that home.
But we might agree a Mazda Miata is a sports car, well drive the 2 cars back to back and you might notice some very similar taught driving dynamics. The Fit is far more than a econo box grocery getter in my eyes

Originally Posted by secondspassed
Why do they do it OP? Because they don't understand why you wouldn't just buy a Sports car instead. I mean, people are made of money, right? There's a lot of people on car enthusiast sites apparently, who are, and it shows in their attitude.
Secondspassed,
In a way you are answering your own question. Some do not buy a sports car because they are not wealthy, some just because they are frugal. Me, I spent a butt load adopting 2 kids from China, and I got to raise them and get them thru College. No Porches or RX 7's for me for the time being. but hey, if I can come up with a grand to mod my car, it is my money and my right to do so, correct?
Surely you would agree that buying a S2000 costs close to 20 grand more than buying a Fit and spending $700 on wheels and an intake.
Look, I do not judge people on what they do or do not do to their cars. It is their money and it is a free county (so far anyway)
So why should a guy who changes plugs or adds an intake be dissed with a "why bother" comment inferring a degree of stupidity? If somebody mods their car for no other reason than the simple enjoyment of doing it, what is the big deal?
Keep knocking the core group of enthusiasts here and they will go away, and this site will lose much of it's attraction.
Where is member BakedCookies for example? (has a very nicely modded Fit btw). Seemingly not here anymore and made comments about a growing number of pissy little attitudes starting to dominate the site before he left.
I am just saying, sites like this can be made into great enjoyable places or complete shit holes and which ever way it is built is done one post upon another.

It only takes a few short minutes and a few posts for an OP to say to himself, "why in holy hell did I spend hours of my time putting together a DIY thread just so idiots can trash it?"

Last edited by Tork; 04-30-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
YouTube

Whenever I want to see some Fits perform, I watch the YouTube videos. I guess the Fit can be brought to these levels of performance with a few bucks and some effort.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member
Bottom line, its our car, our money not yours so as my grandmother used to say if you don't have something nice to say keep your damn mouth shut!

Old 04-30-2010, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member
I am waiting for a call back from Kraft Werks so I can lay out $1700.00 or so more money on my grocery getter econobox...... Why would I want to do such a thing to a crappy little station wagon? ... Because I have owned and driven some very celebrated sports cars that cannot be defined as anything else but are none the less not nearly as fun as my Fit is, any faster or handled any better.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
The Fit is a unique car. There is nothing else out there that does what it does. Let's get that out of the way first, because that is the reason why many of us have gotten it in the first place, regardless of their plans to mod it out or whatever.

It has the wrong DNA to be a sport car by my definition, but I think it is perfectly reasonable to perform modifications on. When I had the SX4, I was one of the people on that forum who did not support or encourage many mods to the car, but that was with good reason. No variable valve timing, poor suspension geometry for lowering, lack of aftermarket support for dampers, picky warranty folks at Suzuki, etc.

After driving the car for a few days around here, I've realized that I am going to HAVE to up the power in order for me to feel safe in it. People who want to leave it stock - awesome - it's an amazing stock car with superior engineering to any other oem of aftermarket part you could put on it. I agree.

To the folks who want to maximize some aspects while trading off on others, then that is their choice. I get a little critical with people's decision to make their cars completely impractical or gaudy, but still, at the end of the day, we will all do what we do because we want to. I guess you gotta have a little faith in people - that they are doing what they are for good reason. Some people like attention, some have cultural influences behind their choices that may not make sense to others, some are having a mid life crisis... you just don't know, but it's all good.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
Alright guys, if you really want to make the fit a little speedster. Strip it down. Take out the back seats, spare wheel and jack, and whatever else you can find. And then, buy the nitrous kit linked in my sig!

In all seriousness though, nitrous is a cheap way to add a lot of hp. And unlike popular culture would lead you to believe, it's very safe if you have all of the right equipment!

Old 04-30-2010, 05:35 PM
Banned
but won't this happen?

Name:  fast_furious_024.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  42.3 KB

although if i look this cool when that happens i'm in

lmao

But seriously the Fit is not a sports car.......this is:

jkjk lol

Old 04-30-2010, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
I start adding another 40 horse power in about 10 days when the High Boost upgrade arrives..... This is not a midlife crisis, I went through that on a series of Harley-Davidson and BMW motorcycles about 15 or 20 years ago..... Old men like to have some fun mostly because it just seems so out of character to younger people.... I have had to save money for over a year to pull this off.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
..... This is not a midlife crisis
Well well Brother Coyote, one must understand that denial is not just a river in Egypt. And I also must mention, your trophy wife needs to wear undergarments and dress appropriately during service this Sunday

but seriously, I can not wait to see pics and read the full story on those mods, Kraftworks no less

Old 04-30-2010, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gbaby2089
but won't this happen?

although if i look this cool when that happens i'm in

lmao

But seriously the Fit is not a sports car.......this is:

jkjk lol
That blue fire is pretty badass! In all seriousness though, the only way it's dangerous is if you're stupid about it. I read about a guy who didn't have his bottle pressurized properly or something like that and it exploded (not in flames, just pressure) and took off his leg. true story.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tork
Me, I spent a butt load adopting 2 kids from China, and I got to raise them and get them thru College. No Porches or RX 7's for me for the time being. but hey, if I can come up with a grand to mod my car, it is my money and my right to do so, correct?
Sir, I will nominee u for the "jkskrn's best father of 2010". Previous years my dad won all 27 times straight for some reason (I think this is rigged!!! lol) But seriously, u r a one cool dad. Congrats on the adoption! And I personally thank u for helping fellow asians To me ur Fit is as fast as S2K, Porches, RX7... ect or even faster! Good to know there r people like u in this world Okay, I'll stop with a$$ ki$$ing lol

Old 04-30-2010, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I start adding another 40 horse power in about 10 days when the High Boost upgrade arrives..... This is not a midlife crisis, I went through that on a series of Harley-Davidson and BMW motorcycles about 15 or 20 years ago..... Old men like to have some fun mostly because it just seems so out of character to younger people.... I have had to save money for over a year to pull this off.
Owning a Harley = JKSKRN's long term goal... Trust me sir, u r far better than most of young people here in this forum just even thinking about making ur Fit faster! I guess I have to plan on going a cruise to Texas near future!

Old 04-30-2010, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by baylorbro
... the only way it's dangerous is if you're stupid...
Have you met a large portion of the population?

They are the reason we have signs like these:

~SB

Old 04-30-2010, 11:48 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by baylorbro
That blue fire is pretty badass! In all seriousness though, the only way it's dangerous is if you're stupid about it. I read about a guy who didn't have his bottle pressurized properly or something like that and it exploded (not in flames, just pressure) and took off his leg. true story.
yeah i know, n2o is basically nonflammable iirc?

Old 05-01-2010, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tork

Consider this...........
The Fit is as fast or faster than........
Many 1980-1990's Corvettes, BMW, Porsche, Jaguar, most Miata up thru 1996, many RX-7 etc etc

And the Fit out handles many of those cars as well!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually the heart and soul of the Fit's driving experience is much like the original incarnations of Sports Cars.

It is an injustice to the Fit and the Fit enthusiast to derail topics in this much abused manner.

Thanks for enduring my little rant
lol..you think the Fit will out handle a Corvette, Porsche, Miata or RX-7???...how many of those cars have you actually driven? I can tell you from experience you're wrong!!

Last edited by bmxman; 05-01-2010 at 09:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Why do so many members derail topics with "the Fit is not a sports car" comment