2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

why do i want a fit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 08:00 PM
why do i want a fit?

so im just procrasinating on studying and felt like posting a thread =X
dont judge me it happens to everybody! procrasination rules.

so all my friends and ppl i know keep asking me why the hell am i getting a fit? and also sure enough, i also have them yelling at me not to get a fit.

I own a 2002 honda accord v6 coupe atm and man gas kills =[ i only get about 22-25mpg mixed driving and i have a 15-16 gallon tank! i do tons of commuting to school in cal state fullerton, and i work in van nuys. i currently live in the 626 area which is right inbetween the 2 cities and its about 26-28 miles to reach both fullerton and van nuys. i also have a girlfriend in irvine which is about 45 miles away.

so the reasons why i want a fit?

1. awesome gas mileage

2. space! a 2 door car sucks for space, especially when you drive people oftenly

3. insurance will drop

4. although im 22, my dad is buying this car and likes to be a dick about me getting a manual, but since hes paying i have no say, so the sports paddle shifters seem pretty fun i just gotta try em out

5. the fit looks damn cool! i dont care what anybody says

6. hatchbacks / wagons are just plain awesome.

well...i got it out of my system, back to studying! :X

Old 04-28-2010, 08:37 PM
5 Year Member
i wouldnt be calling your father a dick because he wont let you get a 5MT. he lets you live under his roof when youre 22 and hes willing to shell out to buy you a new car. i bet he bought you your current ride too.

be more appreciative, your pops seems like a cool guy.

as for the fit, the thing is a fuel sipping, cargo hauling, road gripping, quick handling beast. its a bit of an underpowered car but just think of all that gas and insurance youll be saving!

it has good modding potential and it looks dam sexy.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:21 PM
dont get me wrong, my dad is a cool guy, love him to death but hes always been like that when it comes to getting me a manual transmission car

also, i bought all my previous cars on my own, including my current car.
at the age of 16 i got a job at mcdonalds just so i can buy a 93 camry to drive around in, after that he loaned me money to buy my accord and i paid him back.

i was going to purchase a MT car before i purchased the accord but he was being anal about it at that time because he was the one loaning me the money on it...

also hes only paying about half the car for the down payment while i finance the rest for the fit, my accord is going to my sister

Old 04-28-2010, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
I think only one of my "friends" even partially supported my decision to get a honda fit. They didn't like it when I sold my 12MPG lifted and semi-pimped off-roading wrangler unlimited... awesome go-anywhere/ manly vehicle, but it was a giant sucking sound on my wallet between gas stations and the endless abyss of available accessories. Cool, but stupid (financially) to own.

Sometimes doing the right thing for you/your family/your wallet doesn't get the support of your "friends." Don't worry about it and man up.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member
The fit is financially the best choice when choosing a new car.

I bought my fit a couple of days before my 20th birthday. I've been working on getting a good credit score since I was 16 and cosigned my parent's credit cards (every parent should do this for their kids, don't give them the card but let them increase their credit rating with every bill you pay) It impresses people (especially in 'this economy') that I could afford any new car at my age then. Being an insurance agent is pretty good money and I get to LOL at all of my friends still in college and in debt. There is work out there for anyone, degree or not, if you have a good work ethic and a good head on your shoulders.

Anyway, moral of the story is you are very lucky and should enjoy the car when you get it. If you keep it for a long time it will really be a great choice considering the ultra low cost of ownership. However, you must also consider the loss you will take when selling the Accord.

Every once in a while I wish I would have bought a muscle car, though, but I need to save my pennies now because I certainly will need them down the road.

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 04-29-2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:56 PM
The OP summed up the basic reasons for a Fit; all the normal little car virtues of thrift and agility, combined with the ability to actually haul stuff.
Watched a gal at Lowe's this evening trying to stuff two Adirondack chairs into an Impala, and having a hell of a time with it. The Fit would have gobbled 'em right up.
Everything in our house is a hatch or a wagon; hard to argue with the basic goodness of the concept.
For the guy that dumped his Wrangler, I just semi-retired mine. I wear my Jeep hat and drive the Fit, at least in town. Works for me.
Moon

Old 04-29-2010, 01:42 AM
5 Year Member
just wondering why dad no likey the MT????

does dad know your user name is phuccer (sounds like Fuc*er??????)

Last edited by Tork; 04-29-2010 at 01:45 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:02 AM
Originally Posted by jondotcom

Sometimes doing the right thing for you/your family/your wallet doesn't get the support of your "friends." Don't worry about it and man up.
lol i dont really care what they say, im doing getting a fit lol

Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
Anyway, moral of the story is you are very lucky and should enjoy the car when you get it. If you keep it for a long time it will really be a great choice considering the ultra low cost of ownership. However, you must also consider the loss you will take when selling the Accord.

no that big of a loss, my dad is buying off of me and giving it to my sister, pretty much hes paying my down payment for my car lol
Originally Posted by Tork
just wondering why dad no likey the MT????

does dad know your user name is phuccer (sounds like Fuc*er??????)

of course he knows, he gave me the name phuc lol
well, he doesnt want me to get an MT because he thinks auto is more "safe" and also he keeps using the excuse "what if he needs to drive it" which doesnt make sense cause he said the exact same thing for my accord, and hes never driven it anywhere...he might have moved it for me a few times but that was when i was home and i coulda moved it for him if it were a MT

Old 04-29-2010, 02:18 AM
5 Year Member
Well all I can add as a relatively new Fit Owner is that I obviously liked the vehicle or I wouldn't of purchased it but I can also honestly say after 1700 miles I continue to just like the vehicle more and more.

It's just so versatile. It's absolutely a fantastic urban vehicle, with great agility and handling as well as excellent gas mileage. It's suprisingly roomy and comfortable for a sub-compact. When I want utility I can seemingly configure The Fit for almost anything, the rest of the time, I'm more and more amazed at how comfortable and efficient the vehicle is, as well as fun to drive.

I've owned other vehicles, some used, some new. Often you buy liking a vehicle and do like the vehicle but with the passage of time and use you slowly can discover things you do NOT like. But with The Fit it's been just the opposite. I liked the Fit when I bought it, but the more I drive it, the more I discover things I love about it.

I suppose it's not the perfect vehicle for every person in every situation but it's kind of like the old question about what would you want if you were stranded on a desert island? Well if I was stranded in The City or The Suburbs of The USA and could only pick 1 car to use and own, I think it would be The Fit. There are cars that are roomier, more luxurious, smaller, larger, even more economical but I don't think there is one vehicle that embodies a little bit of everything as well as The Fit.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:28 AM
5 Year Member
my boosted V8 vehicle was keyed and egged ALL the time so that was 1 main reason i wanted a fit.

second reason is that i go to the beach and drive alot of people often, and 4 doors make it much easyer, and plus i don't get pissed off when theres sand all in my seats and such.

btw my family is like you. my dad wanted me to get automatic for all 3 of my cars, and i kept getting manual.. because there was absolutely no NEED for my mom to ever drive my car, and that was his only reason for wanting me to get it..

Last edited by Vash; 04-29-2010 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:54 AM
Well, gotta tell ya', I see your dad's point about the stick. I'm the only one in the house who can drive three pedals, and it has created problems. Had to drive 500 miles to pick up a buddy who just got a hip replacement in the TJ....I couldn't leave the Jeep for my wife, b/c she can't drive a stick.
Can't say how 'learn to drive a manual' works with dads, but it hasn't worked well with my bride...(despite several attempts).
Are you familiar with the Golden Rule of Living? "He who has the gold makes the rules..." Count your blessings. I couldn't talk my dad out of a five year old VW, back in my youth.
Moon

Old 04-29-2010, 09:26 AM
Well, your dad is buying the car, and you think he is a dick for not letting you have your way. Simple solution for you: Find someone else who will buy you the car you want. If you can find someone, take their deal. (doubt you will find someone, but at 22, if you don't like your dad's deal, buy your own)

Old 04-29-2010, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member
The only way I got a manual transmission car was to move out of home and buy it myself. I taught myself to drive it on the way home from the dealership (of course, I already knew how to ride a motorcycle, so that helped a bit).

Not to worry, though, I hear the paddle shifters are a lot of fun, too.

Other than that, there's little I can add about the Fit that hasn't already been mentioned here. I've had mine a year, and I like it better and better all the time.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:20 AM
FWIW, here's why I'm interested in the fit.

Absurdly inexpensive. This actually breaks down into several categories. First, the sticker price is cheap. The fit, fully accessorized, costs about as much as the entry level of most other comparable cars. Second, pretty good milage. If you want to buy a car with significantly better milage, you'll be spending a lot more. Third, hondas are the most reliable cars on the road. Not having to pay for repairs is a good thing.

Cargo space. The fit has a crazy amount of space inside it. If you want more space, you need an SUV or a pickup, either of which costs way more in both upfront cash and ongoing costs. The only thing limiting the fit's carrying capacity is the manual's statement of no towing. A utility trailer on the fit would start to rival just about anything on the road for volume, though clearly weight would still be a challenge.

On the stick vs auto, since it sounds like you're on the interstate a lot, long term you'll probably be happier with the auto. The fit isn't a quiet car. The engine does have to rev a bit. Because of the gearing, the stick is much noisier on the freeway. I just did a test drive yesterday (still in the research phase myself), and the paddle shifters weren't nearly as much fun as a stick would be.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip
Well, gotta tell ya', I see your dad's point about the stick. I'm the only one in the house who can drive three pedals, and it has created problems. Had to drive 500 miles to pick up a buddy who just got a hip replacement in the TJ....I couldn't leave the Jeep for my wife, b/c she can't drive a stick.
Can't say how 'learn to drive a manual' works with dads, but it hasn't worked well with my bride...(despite several attempts).
Are you familiar with the Golden Rule of Living? "He who has the gold makes the rules..." Count your blessings. I couldn't talk my dad out of a five year old VW, back in my youth.
Moon

Originally Posted by citabria7
Well, your dad is buying the car, and you think he is a dick for not letting you have your way. Simple solution for you: Find someone else who will buy you the car you want. If you can find someone, take their deal. (doubt you will find someone, but at 22, if you don't like your dad's deal, buy your own)
yeah i know i get the idea, but hes practically buying my car off of me and giving it to my sister, while i pay off the rest. im actually ultimately purchasing this car on my own. but whatever, i just got a job in sales working for commission, ill just buy a project car sometime in the near future

Old 04-29-2010, 12:28 PM
to me the reason I got fit instead of the same "level" competitor first.
It is made in Japan. Vin number start with J"
It has pretty good mileage at least 29 MPG
It has good cargo area, not spec-wise is less then others but when you fold down the site you can fold down completely not like others.
Maintainance issue, Honda or Toyota is world known less required maintainace.
Handling, Honda is known by good handling car with no mod required.
Last, It looks good.

P.S. AT is not that bad as long as u put it in to S gear instead of D
It is not as fun as stick but I like it so far.

Last edited by L15A VTEC; 04-29-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
There is work out there for anyone, degree or not, if you have a good work ethic and a good head on your shoulders.
I understand your point, but it's a plain fact that there AREN'T enough jobs for everybody in the country right now. People can still land one, but not everybody could. We also don't have enough MONEY in this country. If everybody were to pay their debts the fabric of space-time would split, no money would exist at all and society would collapse. End troll rant, sorry.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:58 PM
5 Year Member
yup, gotta agree with vash on being less harassed with this car. my ls430 got broken into, keyed, dinged, my s14 got bumped in the back pretty hard after a complete new paint job. plus parts for this car come somewhat cheap. :P

Old 04-29-2010, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
If you must buy right now (like your sister is graduating next month), go with the Fit.

On the other hand, if you have the luxury of waiting 6 months, take a look at other sub-20K hatches out there, such as the new Fiesta, and new Aveo (the Detroit one, not the POS Korean version), Mazda3, Versa, Yaris, Soul, VW Golf, etc. Even if you end up coming back to the Fit (I did), you will have the knowledge that you looked at alternatives and found them lacking, rather than just buying a Fit and then second-guessing your purchase. And, if you can wait until August, you should be able to get some good clearance pricing as dealers make room for the 2011 models.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
Have you test driven an AT Fit yet? If you really want MT and you can't have it, you may never be satisfied with just an AT. Definitely test drive first.

I would say go for it if you can afford the monthly payments. Is your dad just giving you money for your Accord or is he giving extra towards your Fit as well? If so, that's a pretty good deal plus you would be helping your sister and save money in the long run since you do a lot of commuting.

Quick Reply: why do i want a fit?