2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

why do i want a fit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 04:54 PM
5 Year Member
the fits a 2nd car for us - a family of 4 - with 2 kids (2 yr and 6yr) in their car seats

our primary family is a nissan xtrail suv (sorry us guys didn't get this)

the fit holds what we need and even going to costco/groceries is our weekened warrior & my daily work home driver

decided on a 2009 5speed

other choices was a 3 hatchback and versa

but the fit - being cheap on gas, holds its weight and fun to drive (at least as a stick), and easy on insurance won

Old 04-29-2010, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by Selden
If you must buy right now (like your sister is graduating next month), go with the Fit.

On the other hand, if you have the luxury of waiting 6 months, take a look at other sub-20K hatches out there, such as the new Fiesta, and new Aveo (the Detroit one, not the POS Korean version), Mazda3, Versa, Yaris, Soul, VW Golf, etc. Even if you end up coming back to the Fit (I did), you will have the knowledge that you looked at alternatives and found them lacking, rather than just buying a Fit and then second-guessing your purchase. And, if you can wait until August, you should be able to get some good clearance pricing as dealers make room for the 2011 models.
hmm i dont mind waiting 6 months, but my sister is just bugging my dad for a car, shes going into her senior year in high school soon. i really do like the fit, i have considered other alternatives but for the amount of money for the other alternatives (20k+) i rather go with the fit.

Originally Posted by Vanct
Have you test driven an AT Fit yet? If you really want MT and you can't have it, you may never be satisfied with just an AT. Definitely test drive first.

I would say go for it if you can afford the monthly payments. Is your dad just giving you money for your Accord or is he giving extra towards your Fit as well? If so, that's a pretty good deal plus you would be helping your sister and save money in the long run since you do a lot of commuting.
i have no test driven the fit yet, but i do plan to do so very soon. my dad is paying what its worth, about 8k down payment. its a good option for me because my sister doesnt do long distance driving so the v6 coupe would be a good car for her, while i do tons of driving so the fit would do great for me

Old 04-29-2010, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by phuccer
so im just procrasinating on studying and felt like posting a thread =X
dont judge me it happens to everybody! procrasination rules.

so all my friends and ppl i know keep asking me why the hell am i getting a fit? and also sure enough, i also have them yelling at me not to get a fit.

I own a 2002 honda accord v6 coupe atm and man gas kills =[ i only get about 22-25mpg mixed driving and i have a 15-16 gallon tank! i do tons of commuting to school in cal state fullerton, and i work in van nuys. i currently live in the 626 area which is right inbetween the 2 cities and its about 26-28 miles to reach both fullerton and van nuys. i also have a girlfriend in irvine which is about 45 miles away.

so the reasons why i want a fit?

1. awesome gas mileage

2. space! a 2 door car sucks for space, especially when you drive people oftenly

3. insurance will drop

4. although im 22, my dad is buying this car and likes to be a dick about me getting a manual, but since hes paying i have no say, so the sports paddle shifters seem pretty fun i just gotta try em out

5. the fit looks damn cool! i dont care what anybody says

6. hatchbacks / wagons are just plain awesome.

well...i got it out of my system, back to studying! :X
You pretty much got everything right in your post. What are you waiting for? Pull the trigger! And what do your friends drive? The Fit is not super fast or whatever if thats why they're telling you not to get it. But I assume you want a car thats fun to drive and gets good mileage. If your friends know that, I hope they're not persuading you to buy a yaris or versa. LOL.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:44 PM
hmm i dont mind waiting 6 months, but my sister is just bugging my dad for a car, shes going into her senior year in high school soon. i really do like the fit, i have considered other alternatives but for the amount of money for the other alternatives (20k+) i rather go with the fit.

i have no test driven the fit yet, but i do plan to do so very soon. my dad is paying what its worth, about 8k down payment. its a good option for me because my sister doesnt do long distance driving so the v6 coupe would be a good car for her, while i do tons of driving so the fit would do great for me
If you're going to the Automatic Fit I will have to agree that you should look into the alternatives first. Some of the alternative vehicles that Selden mentioned are actually cheaper than the Honda Fit yet offer good features. I mean to say the automatic Fit's are not bad but the manual Fit are just more fun to drive IMO especially if you wanna get the most of the car like the mpg and power.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:46 PM
5 Year Member
yeah i know i get the idea, but hes practically buying my car off of me and giving it to my sister, while i pay off the rest. im actually ultimately purchasing this car on my own. but whatever, i just got a job in sales working for commission, ill just buy a project car sometime in the near future
I'm 22 and work in sales too. And I bought my own Fit as well. High 5! LOL. I saved up and paid 5k downpayment, and I pay almost $400 a month for the car and insurance. Its entirely do-able with no pressure! . Unlike a friend of mine who bought a STI and has to regurgitate $500 a month just for the car payment. sucker! LOL

Old 04-29-2010, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by AnlDyxp_GD3
You pretty much got everything right in your post. What are you waiting for? Pull the trigger! And what do your friends drive? The Fit is not super fast or whatever if thats why they're telling you not to get it. But I assume you want a car thats fun to drive and gets good mileage. If your friends know that, I hope they're not persuading you to buy a yaris or versa. LOL.
im just super busy and havent found the time to hit the dealership yet. my friends that are telling me not to get the fit drive a 2010 wrx, 2009 bmw 3 series, and the other has a prelude i believe. lol they think its ugly and slow but i think it looks cool cause im a huge hatch fan. and also, i love hondas, i dont think i can drive a yaris or versa lol

Originally Posted by Black01
If you're going to the Automatic Fit I will have to agree that you should look into the alternatives first. Some of the alternative vehicles that Selden mentioned are actually cheaper than the Honda Fit yet offer good features. I mean to say the automatic Fit's are not bad but the manual Fit are just more fun to drive IMO especially if you wanna get the most of the car like the mpg and power.
its fine, i looked into other alternatives such as, mazda3 and wrx but they're expensive and dont save as much fuel. as for getting a yaris or versa? no way, ugly hatchbacks lol ill test drive the AT fit's sport mode and see how i like it from there.

Originally Posted by AnlDyxp_GD3
I'm 22 and work in sales too. And I bought my own Fit as well. High 5! LOL. I saved up and paid 5k downpayment, and I pay almost $400 a month for the car and insurance. Its entirely do-able with no pressure! . Unlike a friend of mine who bought a STI and has to regurgitate $500 a month just for the car payment. sucker! LOL
lol yeah my friend just got a 2010 wrx he loves it, but he just got a job with me to be able to pay it off hahaha

Old 04-29-2010, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member
Had my Sport less than 6 months. The only other car I test drove that even came close in price and utility to the Fit was the Scion Xd. I probably would have been happy with either car. The Fit exceeded it in every spec except 1, the Xd had a slightly smaller turning radius. Just too many great features on the Fit outclassing the Xd. The test drive will tell the tale. Thats the critical test. Let us know what you think.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:56 PM
Ask them to find another car with comparable:

reliability
mileage
utility (interior space + seat configurations)
passenger space (assuming you don't need to fit 4+ people in)
price
decent "fun to drive" factor

I don't believe there are any competitors with this bundle of factors...

Old 04-30-2010, 12:24 AM
5 Year Member
Here's why..

Why do you want a Fit? Well, here's what mine is like after it's first 6K miles...
The suspension has lost some of it's initial harshness while still being firm, the motor just hums, and the steering- WoW! -I can't remember when I enjoyed a car so much! I can let go of the steering wheel and the car will track straight and true without deviation and yet respond and turn so effortlessly, and then it makes a U-turn in a tighter circle than my smaller Toy Echo can!

I can load in a bunch of conga drums and musical instruments, -all kinds of large hand percussion stuff, with ease, and also our big Poodle loves to stretch out in the back!

I even like the fact that it's not as highly powered as some of today's big tanks are; when I step on the gas to pass someone the engine pulls, well, okay, but also it makes a good solid sound to remind me that I'm using up more gas! -Which AFAIC is just exactly the way a good car should sound in today's energy threatened world!

I'm in my 70's, have had many a car since my 20's, from Plymouths to Fords, Chevys, Toyotas, Volkswagon Beetles, and early Civics, and this 2010 AT Basic Fit is hands down the best handling car I've owned yet, and the most fun to drive! -Even after 6K miles I haven't gotten used to the joy yet, and doubt that I ever will feel 'jaded' about the way this jalopy drives!

Old 04-30-2010, 02:05 AM
5 Year Member
If friends tell not to get a Fit get a Fit and new friends as quickly as possible.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:32 AM
5 Year Member
One selling point you can give your father about the MT, no need for jumper cables if/when your battery dies. Good luck trying to get going with an AT if no other car is around.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black01

???
Are you saying if you are getting a MT then get the Fit, but if an AT, then don't? Do you really think that a Fit having an AT is so much less fun to drive that it then becomes not worth buying? -Shhhesh, do I disagree with that one!

-Also, if you look at the rated MPG figures, you'll see that the AT Fit rates higher than the MT does! The AT Fit is extremely smooooth; it shifts right about where I would on a MT, it's engine doesn't have to rev as high at speed on the highway, and I can pay more attention to enjoying the same responsive handling without having to depress a clutch and row a lever alla time!

I usta drive sticks alla time too.. In fact our previous car is a Toy with a 5-spd stick, -but now I let the wife drive that one alla time 'cause I enjoy the AT trans and the excellent handling on our'10 Base model AT Fit so much!

You can preach alla kid stuff about "fun shifting" ya want to, but I ain't buying it! -I wouldn't go back to all that unnecessary stomping and rowing around in traffic now if you paid me to!
So here's to the AT Fit, and to smooooth easy take-offs and excellent highway cruising and ease of handling thru almost any kind of traffic imaginable!

MT's? -Bah! -1930's stuff! Are you kidding, or wot?!!

Old 05-02-2010, 07:18 AM
5 Year Member
dont get me wrong, my dad is a cool guy, love him to death but hes always been like that when it comes to getting me a manual transmission car

also, i bought all my previous cars on my own, including my current car.
at the age of 16 i got a job at mcdonalds just so i can buy a 93 camry to drive around in, after that he loaned me money to buy my accord and i paid him back.

i was going to purchase a MT car before i purchased the accord but he was being anal about it at that time because he was the one loaning me the money on it...

also hes only paying about half the car for the down payment while i finance the rest for the fit, my accord is going to my sister
Flashback! I did my time at BurgerKing and a summer of 50hours/wk got me my 86 Prelude Si 2.0 (5MT). Also went for the no-interest Dad-Loan which was paid back in 6 months with my 93 Integra GS. The GS-R was all on me though and that was my first new car.

Originally Posted by secondspassed
I understand your point, but it's a plain fact that there AREN'T enough jobs for everybody in the country right now. People can still land one, but not everybody could. We also don't have enough MONEY in this country. If everybody were to pay their debts the fabric of space-time would split, no money would exist at all and society would collapse. End troll rant, sorry.
No... No... no! there are enough jobs, just not enough people are willing to "stoop down" and take a lesser job. I took a major step down going from a Dot.Com to working at a computer shop then staples (both at 1/3 the salary). You do what you have to do... lots of former co-workers at the Dot.com felt that taking a lesser job was beneath them, they remained unemployed and are now finally doing what I did... and I'm years ahead of them, back in I.T. as a Technical manager.

Originally Posted by Vanct
Have you test driven an AT Fit yet? If you really want MT and you can't have it, you may never be satisfied with just an AT. Definitely test drive first.

I would say go for it if you can afford the monthly payments. Is your dad just giving you money for your Accord or is he giving extra towards your Fit as well? If so, that's a pretty good deal plus you would be helping your sister and save money in the long run since you do a lot of commuting.
If the AT is your only option, Don't drive the MT. When we bought our Altima, I test drove the 4cyl, then I test drove the V6. I ended up with the V6 even though I probably could have survived with the 4cyl.

Also, the Auto is going to suit you better with the commute you have. Especially if it is mostly highway. It's geared a little better than the 5MT at highway speeds. Quieter and better on gas.

~SB

Old 05-02-2010, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
One selling point you can give your father about the MT, no need for jumper cables if/when your battery dies. Good luck trying to get going with an AT if no other car is around.
I'm willing to be wrong about this, but nowdays it is my understanding that, if the battery is so thoroughly dead as to not run the electric fuel pump, then it isn't possible to catch the car in gear, even with a rolling start.
Lots of good reasons to want a manual tranny, but roll-starting with a dead battery is no longer one of them.
Moon

Old 05-02-2010, 11:03 PM
5 Year Member
Well I guess I should have been more specific. Not completely dead, still has some juice to power accessories, but not enough to turn the motor over, you can roll start.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
Well I guess I should have been more specific. Not completely dead, still has some juice to power accessories, but not enough to turn the motor over, you can roll start.
I've caught some cars in gear in my life, and, on reflection, it was probably a bad idea. I did it with a VW Beetle most often, which had manual steering and brakes. Modern cars have neither, and two or three things can happen when you try to get one rolling without either; most of them are bad. Far safer to get a (correctly done) jump.
Not meaning to hijack; back to the topic.
Best,
Moon