2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

manual 5spd or Automatic ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by canuck901
Not many people would buy a car fully loaded and then opt for a 5MT.
The dealers know this, and realize this and will not discount the sticker price as much as they will on a 5SPD AUTO, but in the used, resale world they go by the book value and having the 5MT is -700 of the the price.]
So let me get this straight: market forces dictate new car prices but then some prescribed bluebook value takes over when the car is sold used. What prevents people from asking and getting above the bluebook by selling to a private party?

Old 05-01-2010, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by know-nothin
So let me get this straight: market forces dictate new car prices but then some prescribed bluebook value takes over when the car is sold used. What prevents people from asking and getting above the bluebook by selling to a private party?
New car and used car markets are quite different. When you are looking for a new car on a lot you have a much narrower pick of a single model year, and dealers will use their knowledge of supply chain constraints against you. New car markets are subject to current short-term supply, but used car markets do not reflect temporary supply limitations, as they reflect an accumulation of supply over time.

This applies to many depreciating assets... if the supply is low you get screwed at purchase, but the later market value of that asset doesn't change due to the environment at the time of purchase.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jondotcom
New car and used car markets are quite different. When you are looking for a new car on a lot you have a much narrower pick of a single model year, and dealers will use their knowledge of supply chain constraints against you. New car markets are subject to current short-term supply, but used car markets do not reflect temporary supply limitations, as they reflect an accumulation of supply over time.

This applies to many depreciating assets... if the supply is low you get screwed at purchase, but the later market value of that asset doesn't change due to the environment at the time of purchase.
Well, that's a good theory but only time will tell whether it plays out like that for the Fit. I am willing to bet that there will be more buyers than cars for used MT Fits for quite a while. But in any case, I am keeping mine for a looong time so resale value was not at the very top of my list of things to consider.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:58 PM
5 Year Member
jondotcom do you feel better now? A reputation left with only "idiot". Hahahaha that is quite hilarious. Because I don't agree with your point of view and have my own thoughts and not those of a sheeple I'm the idiot. I've been called worse no skin off my back.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:53 AM
Purchase: M/T costs more
Maintenance: M/T costs more
Resale: M/T worth less

thanks for playing!
What? M/T costs less at purchase, and I never discussed maintenance.

(M/T purchase price - M/T used price) > (A/T purchase price - A/T used price)

You get more back, because people are willing to pay more for a used M/T (likely due to the lower supply).

Again, this is for a relatively new used car. I don't know what will happen down the road.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
A reputation left with only "idiot". Hahahaha that is quite hilarious.
Sorry man, I'll give you +rep later once you prove you are not insane hahahah.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by canuck901
Go with whatever feels comfortable for you.
Totally agree.

The decision between a/t and m/t isn't really about $$, but personal preference.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:48 PM
My average was 22.5 km/l over 2 days was. Wich is 52.92 mpg. Now I don't know if my software was updated or not. But assuming it isn't and there is a 10% margin... then I'd still have a MPG of 48.22. This was done over 280 km, mostly on roads with barely any traffic or traffic lights but I also did some heavy city driving.

I'd like to know if an AT could do that. I would like to know one reason to get an AT over a MT. Because I try to look at it objectively and I just can't think of any reason at all unless you have a really bad left knee.

Could someone give me one reason to get an AT?

Old 05-02-2010, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wilcoholic
My average was 22.5 km/l over 2 days was. Wich is 52.92 mpg. Now I don't know if my software was updated or not. But assuming it isn't and there is a 10% margin... then I'd still have a MPG of 48.22. This was done over 280 km, mostly on roads with barely any traffic or traffic lights but I also did some heavy city driving.

I'd like to know if an AT could do that. I would like to know one reason to get an AT over a MT. Because I try to look at it objectively and I just can't think of any reason at all unless you have a really bad left knee.

Give it up, man. You really want to go over this shit one more time?????! There's no point. Keep your opinion, you're going to regardless.

EDIT: To answer your question, no. I purchased the AT for absolutely no reason. I thought it would be safer if it were a little bit heavier. A friend told me the MT smells bad. Happy?

Last edited by secondspassed; 05-02-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:32 PM
Look I am not judging or flaming anyone here. Why do you have to act so defensively?

I just wanted to know a reason because I haven't seen any. Not in this thread or in a million others.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member
Reason 1: Wife said "you will get an AT".
Reason 2: I am too old to deal with trying to replace wife.
Reason 3: Lower highway RPMs on the AT are really nice.
Reason 4: Paddle shifters on AT Sport at least offer some fun, especially for downshifts.

By the way, to avoid any confrontation, I completely agree with everything everybody else has said so far (see how wife has me trained!).

Old 05-02-2010, 07:07 PM

the miles computer is not accurate, anyways, listen, many respected magazine have tested both, Canadiandriver.ca and they did week long averages and the honda fit sport 5SPD AUTO did get a bit better fuel mileage then the fit 5MT.
They did say the 5MT is more fun to drive and you get more out of the engine with shorter gear ratios and hanging on to higher RPMs.
The only reason to get the 5MT is if you like to drive standard, there's no economic benefit besides the lower price.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:42 AM
You feel the revs in the pedals more with a Fit than any other car

When we test drove our '10 sport MT, my wife complained about a squeaky clutch pedal. She attributed it to the shoes she was wearing, as I didn't feel anything squeaky.

After a month or so of driving it, I figured out what she was (and still is) complaining about- when you shift above 3k rpm, usually from 2 to 3rd, etc, the revs are high enough that you can feel it in the pedal- none of our MT cars have ever 'felt' like that. It can be extremely annoying for some people. I have modified my shifting style to avoid that feeling, which is a little like a grating, whiny feel in the clutch pedal. I do not know if theres any way to reduce that sensation though.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member
Over the past two MT cars we have owned (Honda Accord and Subaru Legacy) my wife burned out clutches every 35,000-40,000 miles. No AT problems with Nissan Quest (165,000 miles) and Subaru Forester (125,000 miles, and still running strong).

MT vs AT, whatever floats your boat. In my situation, MT just isn't an option for a shared car.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:27 PM
I purchase a lot of cars. I had a 04 Element, 06 Civic hybrid, 07 Fit automatic, etc. I now have the 09 Sport with manual transmission. I have to say that I really do like automatics too. My favorite auto has to be the slowest one I owned. That was the 06 civic hybrid. It was pretty slow, unsporty, but SMOOOOTH AS GLASS. I LOVED that CVT transmission. Gearless shifting and then hits the optimal low rpms for hwy driving.
I have to admit, I don't care for the Fit's lack of sound insulation. It's terribly noisey and add to that the engine drone above 65mph and it can become annoying on long trips. Thank GOD for the ipod plug in and acceptable stereo.
You can't make a mistake owning a auto Fit. It's a little more leisurely in acceleration, but it's cool paddle shifters add sportiness and its quieter hwy ride are definite plusses that can't be ignored.

Last edited by SEAKAYAKER; 05-03-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by SEAKAYAKER
I don't race or redline the Fit. This is my commuter car. THIS IS AN ECONOMY CAR!! I purchased mine for the very same reasons you did. I average a real world 37-38mpg. There is a reason why they still make manual transmissions. It's for people like me who love the interaction between man and machine. It's easier to hypermile in a M/T to get great gas mileage; and easier to cut through traffic when needed too. It's the more reliable transmission too.
I preferred to save my hard earned dough and get the M/T Fit for a more engaging drive with GREAT gas mileage too.
Frankly the auto is a great idea, but this car begs for a larger engine, like the Civic's. This 1.5 liter engines performance is merely acceptable in manual form, in automatic form it's unacceptable that it's 1.4 seconds slower then the outgoing GD3's auto time.
same here. I can't think of any disadvantage on getting the MT. It's lighter, drives better, repairing a MT is much cheaper and is more reliable, and here in MX, Manuals cost 2,000USD LESS than automatics. to me it is a BIG difference.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:33 AM
I just test drived a 2010 MT Fit today. I currently own a 2004 2WD MT Element, and since I bought it at 12,000 miles (now 67,000) the clutch felt pretty stiff. Though the shift lever feels more soft and toy-like on the Element. I've also had a 92 Jeep Cherokee as one of my primary cars (it was my parent's car) That was very fun to drive (not to mention it had a flowmaster), but shift lever did move quite a distance (like a typical truck). Not too long ago I took my friend's Versa for a drive (I don't care for 6 speed, even if it's more efficient), I really don't see what makes people choose the Versa over the Fit it's such an ordeal just to get the car in reverse. One thing I notice about the Fit is that the clutch seems a little close to the brake pedal. Though it's far enough. The the angle of the shift lever between gears, was greater than the Element and lesser than the Jeep. Which to me is just right. I was very impressed with the feel of the car. My Element has a decent amount of accelerating power. If I push it all the way it brings me from 0-60 in quick enough. I don't know what it's like to go 0-60 in a Fit, but the Fit has more power per pound and is more aerodynamic. I know none of these Honda's are true sportscars, but how much racing can and should we really doing on public roads? The Fit does look pretty sporty though. To me the power to weight ratio on the Fit seems just right. Even though all MT cars I've driven have a different feel, I consider them all pretty fun to drive.

I've been teaching my girlfriend how to drive stick on my Element. And I don't think she'll commit to getting comfortable with it. But she did show interest in driving the Fit when we were at the dealer. There seems to be something appealing to her too about this car.

As much as I love my Element, as soon as I'm able to get a MT Orange Revolution Sport, I'm trading my beloved plastic clad toaster in. There are many reasons why I want to trade in for a Fit, but the fun factor is definitely one of the big ones. I would probably keep my car, if I couldn't get a stickshift one.

That's my opinion, but a test drive with both will give you an answer.

Last edited by coirchlid; 05-04-2010 at 04:37 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by coirchlid
Not too long ago I took my friend's Versa for a drive (I don't care for 6 speed, even if it's more efficient), I really don't see what makes people choose the Versa over the Fit
The versa hatch is much much cheaper (you can get a decently equipped one for ~$12k) and they are faster than any fit. I strongly considered one but the it was so boring and bland I thought I'd lapse into a coma while driving. Cool think is they offer a standard A/T, a 6 spd manual, or cvt.