2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
View Poll Results: Which color for me?
Silver Storm Metallic
44.79%
Taffeta White
55.21%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Help me choose a color!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 12:43 PM
5 Year Member
Help me choose a color!

Hello Fit Freaks. It appears I joined this site a while back when I was last considering a Fit purchase, but now that I am in the market again, I am giving it serious consideration.

The only problem is; I can't decide on a color and am picky to a fault. It's between SSM and TW, and I think most members on here would agree that they both look good, with a nod going towards TW for the GE8 overall.

TW does look great on this car, no doubt about it. My concerns are mainly about image, age appropriateness, and quality of the paint. Some part of me thinks that TW, while pretty, is a more "cutesy" color on this vehicle. Perhaps for younger people and older people than I. As an active forum member on many sites, the trend towards white over the past few years has engrained a "tuner car" image with an air of Baller mixed in. I'm sure the general public doesn't see it this way, but do they also think that white is too "soft" for someone in sales.

I'm not old by any means, but the message my car sets forth is important to my professional image in new home sales and building inspection. Some may think this is a small point of consideration, and I will inevitably get the "eff everyone else, get what YOU like" response, but this is important to me. I want to keep this one for a long time, and owner experience is sometimes more valuable than going with your gut.

I'm looking for a few considerations from you guys before voting:

Firstly, which car color do you think will bolster my professional image as someone in their 30s who will be involved with a fairly high-class clientele with a penchant for modern architecture? The car is the first thing, and last thing, someone sees in this business. First impressions have been proven by research to be more important than any of us would like to admit and when leaving a property, there is usually a lot for the person to think about. Color psychology says gray is more confident and secure, while white is both logical and symbolizes a transition period. White also seems to give a sense of calm and safety.

Secondly, as an owner of either/or color in the poll; do you regret your purchase for any reason associated with the overall criteria I'm getting at? Do you feel out of place in your car?

Third, which is easiest to touch up, and holds up the best to rocks?

I know that's quite a lot of considerations for something that should just be personal preference, but humor me. Thanks!

Last edited by hayden; 04-25-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:57 PM
I voted white because I just like it better, whichever color just keep it shiny and neat, that will make more difference

Old 04-25-2010, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
I voted silver even though I have a white Fit. I think the white, when clean, looks super sharp. I am not young or a tuner so I don't fit the profile.

But I think either car will be fine for your professional image. I just think that a white car has to be kept clean and I hate washing my car. For those who wash their cars lovingly every week or two, they must get a lot of satisfaction from white Fits but that ain't me.

I also think that white shows rock chips worse than a silver color. I maybe wrong though. I have a silver Accord and it does not show dirt or chips at all. I hardly ever wash it nowadays and it sill looks pretty good for a 20 year old car whether it's clean or dirty. That's what I am going by. OTOH, I think the paint on the '91 Accord is far superior to my Fit's paint.

Good luck but either way, it will be a sweet car.

Old 04-25-2010, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
If you're looking for a vehicle strictly for your profession, I'd go with white. White LOOKS like an industry vehicle, it looks more professional than silver IMO.

Old 04-25-2010, 03:55 PM
I would take the white if you want the best the holds up to grim and dust, white hides a lot of imperfections compared to darker colored car. I do like the Silver Storm Metalic, there's a lot of those on the road. I would Say SSM is the most popular, then blue sensation. I have not seen many White Honda fits, they seem to be quite rare as the black berry, and orange.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:20 PM
Someone who is using their car to create a good impression will no doubt keep it very nice and detailed so white is your best bet as it looks very sharp when its clean. Just don't be a dummy and go driving over fresh slurry like my friend did in his TW Fit. -_-

Old 04-25-2010, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the replies! I have a lot to think about. I just went for a long drive to run an errand on the other side of town, and didn't see any SSMs, and only one TW. They are both great colors, and I've never had a hard time with this before. Still might be leaning towards SSM for the more serious tone it carries, but white looks really clean. The metallic paint looks different depending on the light, which helps mix things up for us crazy people who stare at our cars all the time. Visibility and the Texas heat is another factor.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
If visibility and heat is a factor, I feel that White is a no-brainer. White repels heat best and, in my opinion, is the most visible color besides something crazy like yellow.

I have a TW 09, its difficult to keep clean in ways, during the summer especially with all of the bugs. The front end does take a beating from rocks/etc, but at the same time I put right at 20k on my car in a year and it doesn't look horrible to me.

Word of advice either way: spend the money and have the 3m clearbra installed pretty much everywhere on the front end, including the side mirrors to help protect the paint. Wish I had before I got any imperfections.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:41 PM
I have storm silver, and if I had it to do over again I would have gone with white. While the car looks very nice in silver, it does tend to show imperfections such as the little fingernail scrapes under the door handles and any time anyone gets in or out and knocks their feet up against the door sills. I am forever outside on the weekend with my little bottle of scratch-x.

I'd probably not complain at all if they'd just made a lighter-colored interior. I'm even worse about that. I have to vacuum every time the dog goes with me.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:46 PM
5 Year Member
ssm's are sexy, but so are the tw's. hard choice right there. But ill go with the ssm since i have one.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the replies. I am headed to the dealership for an appraisal, and to place an order for a WHITE one they have coming in by the end of the month.

After pouring over pics and driving around looking for Fits, the decision became clear and this thread just reinforces my decision. I had a white car once and loved washing it. The fit will get a garage and I can wash it often. I live, literally, next door to a car wash too.

Honda here I come. I've put off joining the family for too long, and after reliability problems, resale value, and manual transmission performance from a plethora of marques, it just makes sense. Loss of torx will be an issue, but I'll deal.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:15 PM
Time for me to rain a bit on your parade...Ahem,... I wouldn't choose either color. Seems like every car on the road nowadays is either Silver, White, or Black. When I was looking I wanted something different without being overly loud. For me, car color is something that if I love it immediately, chances are that love won't last. I was leaning black or red when I started shopping, but changed mid stream to this instead.

Name:  FIT2010005.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  135.5 KB

Now for some of the other reasons why; one was that most of the instrumentation is illuminated in blue. I figured the match would carry over better making it look like a more expensive option for free. Two, the wheels pick up the silver accents in the colors of the headlight units, and tail light housings. Third with the body color, silver accents and blue light instrumentation and black seats and window trim, that makes for only three main colors to deal with, and while that may sound strange, anything higher than 3 colors can make for a confused look.

It's true though that silver does hide a lot of sins, and has the advantage of matching the wheels. But I had too many silver cars in my past, and my personal prefference is to have a different car color than the last one I have owned.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member
I like blue, and that color does looks great on the Fit, however, I am currently in a blue SX4. It's been a fun color, but am ready for something different.

My car:

Old 04-26-2010, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hayden
I like blue, and that color does looks great on the Fit, however, I am currently in a blue SX4. It's been a fun color, but am ready for something different.

My car:
I've always liked those cars; how do they perform off-road?

Old 04-26-2010, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
White is a good pick! Based on what you said about architecture, for some reason I would steer towards the TW. Also its easier to keep clean(atleast its not as noticeable when its dirty. My black fit is a pain in the ass to keep clean. Good luck on your decision!

Old 04-26-2010, 08:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hondafrk
I've always liked those cars; how do they perform off-road?
Really well unless you need tons of ground clearance. The awd system uses an active center coupling to distribute torque, and can be locked into 50/50 split up to about 35 mph and then it switches back to regular awd, which has a minimum 5% rearward bias and up to 50%. It rarely sees dirt though. I use it for grip around town. I hear it in one of the most capable snow vehicles for sale from people who actually get real winters. The light weight makes it unstoppable and highly maneuverable.

Test drove the fit today. I liked it a lot, but it's very different from the Suzuki. The SX4's handling, road feel, on center feeling and suspension dampening/ride comfort are better than the fit, which is a little harsher, number, noisier, etc. However, the fit does many things the sx4 just can't beat, including having a great resale value, which I am feeling the brunt of at the moment.

Still negotiating with the dealer. Getting closer.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AnlDyxp_GD3
Based on what you said about architecture, for some reason I would steer towards the TW.
I agree! It's very fitting. Clean lines - clean car.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member
I can only suggest to NOT fall in love with pretty pics of TW, or how it looks in a show room. Out on the road they look like, well, shit. Completely boring and usually dirty as all hell. I see plenty of them out there. They just don't look good, and perhaps even 'cheap'. Silver on the other hand, looks great. It makes the car look more upscale. It's hard to tell it's dirty. It shows off a fresh shine really well- looks like glass. It transitions well to the interior color. It's a particularly beautiful shade of silver too- one you don't often see in the silver family on cars. For the size and lines of the Fit, silver looks best. And that's a FACT! Well...ok, it's only my opinion! LOL! But seriously, the roads are too tough on white cars. Avoid the color. Good luck.

Dan

Last edited by Shockwave199; 04-26-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by baylorbro
If you're looking for a vehicle strictly for your profession, I'd go with white. White LOOKS like an industry vehicle, it looks more professional than silver IMO.
coming from a silver car owner, hells yeah! unbias reply right there!

i never looked at it from a profession standpoint of how it looks more like an "industry vehicle"

Old 04-27-2010, 01:25 PM
5 Year Member
I'm in a similar situation, and picked silver because it looked more grown up. Look at two cars side by side on the lot and you'll know what I mean. TW was out of the question once I compared side by side.

I've always been partial to tw (a long time honda/acura fan and owned two TW integras), but I went with silver on the fit and love it. It hides dirt well too!

If you want to grow it up further, go with a new accord (LX can be had for $2k more than a fit).

Last edited by jondotcom; 04-27-2010 at 01:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Help me choose a color!