2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Those Who Drive Both GD and GE Fits

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 11:09 AM
5 Year Member
Those Who Drive Both GD and GE Fits

I was wondering how many people might be in my position. I own both 08 and 09 Fits and I drive both equally. I was interested in your opinions for a "real-world" critique.

Pros:
08 - better handling, more fun maneuvering, better clutch feel, less sway, tighter suspension, more engine compartment room.

09- more comfortable driver seat, better on fuel, less road noise, less jostling in high wind conditions, better visibility.

And after driving both these cars for thousands of miles, I still wouldn't know which one I'd keep if I had to get rid of one of them.

Any opinions?

Old 04-15-2010, 04:14 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
my 08 is MT so it's fun to drive, plus it's modded so not a fair comparison to my 09 which is AT, stock, and pretty boring.

the 09 is a better car overall, that's for sure. the suspension is abit bouncy for me so i prefer my modded 08 with enduratech coilovers which drives VERY SMOOOOTH.

if i lost both cars and had to buy another FitS, i would get the GE.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
If you hit the track, the GD is the more tossable car.

That's not even my opinion.

It came from my track driving instructor - a professional tin-top racer - after he drove the GD and GE back-to-back on Batangas Racing Circuit. He said the GE's chassis feels a little strained next to the "lighter, more balanced" GD.

I guess he would know. He ain't biased toward any of these cars; he's firmly an old-school Toyota kind of guy.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member
i dont know if my opinion counts since i have ouned a GD for 36k miles from new and now own a GE from new 2k, but i will say i LOVED my GD, tracked it and rallyed the hell out of it, it was lowered and had lightweight wheels, i tossed it all over a workd class track (pics in my album) and never once felt i would spin it out or roll it (after a professional driver showed me what it could do) - now the GE doesnt seem as planted as the other, brakes and steering seem just as great, the car just seems heavier, it definatly faster, but i hate the clutch (i'm sure i'll get better) but its more peppy for sure, maybe when i get some lightweight wheels and real rubber things will change in my head. i miss silly little things off the GD (being able to move the seat forward from the back seat, two trip meters, how easy it was to make unique) but am greatful for some of the new little things (and big things) like rear headhests that don't have to be removed to fold down rear seats, mpg meter, nav, usb interface,etc if i lost my GE and had to get another fit i'd buy another GE

Old 04-16-2010, 12:34 AM
5 Year Member
Keep both! I'd love to have a GD and a GE at the same time

Old 04-16-2010, 10:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Type 100
If you hit the track, the GD is the more tossable car.

That's not even my opinion.

It came from my track driving instructor - a professional tin-top racer - after he drove the GD and GE back-to-back on Batangas Racing Circuit. He said the GE's chassis feels a little strained next to the "lighter, more balanced" GD.

I guess he would know. He ain't biased toward any of these cars; he's firmly an old-school Toyota kind of guy.
Okay, I agree with you on the performance end... the GD is better on the track. But, given you probably drive a lot more around town, would you still pick the GD to own if you only had one car????

Old 04-16-2010, 05:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by einstein77
I was wondering how many people might be in my position. I own both 08 and 09 Fits and I drive both equally. I was interested in your opinions for a "real-world" critique.

Pros:
08 - better handling, more fun maneuvering, better clutch feel, less sway, tighter suspension, more engine compartment room.

09- more comfortable driver seat, better on fuel, less road noise, less jostling in high wind conditions, better visibility.

And after driving both these cars for thousands of miles, I still wouldn't know which one I'd keep if I had to get rid of one of them.

Any opinions?
I agree with most of what you said. For reference, I have no performance modifications on either car.

2 exceptions:
My wife's car is an auto so I can't comment on clutch feel.
I'd say my GE is slightly less stable in high winds.

Overall, the GE is MUCH more refined. The interior is so much more modern and is of higher quality. It has a better feel and seems to be more durable (examples: my GPS cable made some wear marks on the GD's dash, and the GD's door upholstery is fading rather quickly for a 2 year old car with tinted windows). The GE's doors also shut much more solidly.
The GE is definitely more bouncy on rough roads, while the GD is smoother.
The GD feels closer to the ground, more connected to the road, but you can tell its chassis is not as stiff as the GE's.

Personally, I like the look of the GE much more than the GD. It's sleeker, more aerodynamic, more modern, and more aggressive. The worst part of the GD is the bug-eye headlights.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:35 PM
i agree with everything thats been said,.. pretty much, the gd handles better, but the ge is better for everyday use.