2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Why is this board always SO slow???

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 01:37 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
i have a POS comp here at work, and i loaded this page with FF in 6sec...My connection at home is BAD and i can still load the pages just as fast using safari or google chrome.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
I'm using FF now and it's faster for sure. This is still one of the slowest forums I visit, even now that it's a bit faster with FF. But compared to all my other forums, this place is pretty intense with banners and graphics, not to mention everyone's personal avatars and sig pics which are all over the map. All things considered, this place is a load. Yeah, now loading time has improved with FF and that's great- really. But most pages everywhere else just simply blink right up. Kudos to FF though!

Dan

Old 04-09-2010, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
I'm using FF now and it's faster for sure. This is still one of the slowest forums I visit, even now that it's a bit faster with FF. But compared to all my other forums, this place is pretty intense with banners and graphics, not to mention everyone's personal avatars and sig pics which are all over the map. All things considered, this place is a load. Yeah, now loading time has improved with FF and that's great- really. But most pages everywhere else just simply blink right up. Kudos to FF though!

Dan
Might want to try opera. You can block individual items as well as the subscribed content like in adblock plus. you may find that you're connection to another server (such as one of the image hosting sites) is causing the page to load extremely slow. you never know, the slowing loading image might be hosted on a file server next door here in VT which is why things work good for me - and not for you) You can try blocking all images on a particular page and see if it loads really fast, then try unblocking until you find the culprit. Also, for the record, I hit this page also with seamonkey and Firefox 3.6.x (with ABP) on a puppy linux laptop running 128mb of Ram on a PII 650 (wireless B). 17 & 14 second load times respectively.

~SB

Old 04-10-2010, 03:21 PM
In my experience, turning off plug-ins makes the site load quickly. Note, all of these "mine does/mine doesn't" comparisons aren't of much value unless you are on the same network provider and same general locale as the OP. There are all kinds of factors related to how pages, ad servers, etc. are resolved and routed to you that can play a big factor in this.

If your browser supports an Activity or similar window, bring that up then watch to see what links are stalling when you attempt to load a new page. In my experience, it's not the board itself, it's almost always some POS ad site that just can't handle its own load.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
Sometimes when I click "edit" on one of my posts, it takes like 60 seconds to load the contents of the post (everything else on the page loaded). This sort of points to the back-end database and possibly a table locking issue. Probably a misconfigured MySQL setup.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by niko3257
it's your browser. i had the same problem.
get yourself google chrome browser instead of IE or Mozilla.
works ten times faster. makes you feel like you got a new
computer
Chrome rips; even on an under-powered netbook, I usually have good load times, although there are occasional sporadic slowdowns. I turned off display of avatars, which reduces the overhead a little. Since many pages dynamically embed advertiser content, if the connection to one of the advertisers is slow, it can slow down page load.

IE is especially prone to slowdowns on pages that use a lot of tables. I never use it, unless I am visiting a site that absolutely requires it, such as Microsoft for software updates. Safari is also quite speedy. Unfortunately, there are so many content providers doing various things with HTML that it's really not practical to rely on just one browser, but if I were to rely on just one, IE would be at the bottom of my list.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member
It's just tons faster yesterday and today, quite snappy. I guess it's intermittent. It's not the browser when it says "Waiting for www.fitfreak.net ..." in the status bar for 10 seconds and nothing is happening.