2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

engine oil - first change

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 03:38 PM
Question engine oil - first change

I've put first 250 miles on the car in a week or so. Checked manual and it says - do not change oil which comes with the car until indicator shows less than 50% oil life (I think it is 50). it makes me think Honda did in fact put some additives to this first fillup. Nevertheless I do not believe this is right to keep oil for that long after engine break-in (lots of metal shavings collected after first few miles and It does not make any sense to run this crap for so long);

hence 2 questions:

1) when did you change yours?
2) would this void warranty in any way (stupid but ohh well) - can point to manual saying you did it wrong lol

I'm planning to dump this crap soon put fresh petroleum based from stealership and only then switch to synthetic.

thoughts?

Old 04-07-2010, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
i am at 8980 right now. i am changing it friday! i think i shouldve changed it earlier. oh well. haha

Old 04-07-2010, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member
if the oil is dirty change it. if it is still clean leave it.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by k20a298ek
if the oil is dirty change it. if it is still clean leave it.
dark color does not mean oil is bad. but I hear you...

I think I'm gonna put few more hundreds and put fresh one in.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
1. 1,000 miles
2. No it won't void your warranty.
3. I've been using synthetic since my 1st oil change.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by JDMxGE8
1. 1,000 miles
2. No it won't void your warranty.
3. I've been using synthetic since my 1st oil change.
aye.. see I do not think it makes sense to put synthetic in just because I follow the idea to do 2 short changes with petroleum based oil. plus for new engine synthetic does not help to seal the rings nicely.. call me old fashioned but I do believe in proper engine break-ins. As usual I'm gonna run synth amsoil with recommenced weight. Always especially on my old B and K series I can feel how easily engine runs especially in high rpms

Old 04-07-2010, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member
It's 15%, by the way, which for me came due at 10,000 miles. At 20,000 miles I've just done the second oil change. My Fit uses about a cup of oil in 10,000 miles, so I guess I broke it in okay.

There are a bunch of threads on this subject and as many opinions as there are members here, if you care to do some searching and reading.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:33 PM
I don't believe I am as smart as the engineers who designed the engine in the Fit and therefore if they say "don't change it until the indicator says so" then I am not going to change it until the indicator says so. Pretty simple if you ask me! 9,000 miles and still rolling on my original oil... of course 95% of those miles are highway miles, but I am still at 30% oil life, so I will probably need to change it in the next month or so.

I mean the Fit just got named one of Car and Drivers top ten cars again and won the residual value award...how can you argue against what Honda says?

Old 04-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by SupermanGolfer
I don't believe I am as smart as the engineers who designed the engine in the Fit and therefore if they say "don't change it until the indicator says so" then I am not going to change it until the indicator says so. Pretty simple if you ask me! 9,000 miles and still rolling on my original oil... of course 95% of those miles are highway miles, but I am still at 30% oil life, so I will probably need to change it in the next month or so.

I mean the Fit just got named one of Car and Drivers top ten cars again and won the residual value award...how can you argue against what Honda says?
so why do you think they specifically put this in manual - do not change before?
to save you money? lol

if you ask me - this is bullshit to run same oil for 10k after breaking new engine in. but hey that's just me ) all I needed is to get some info on what ppl think and especially when they changed theirs based on oil indicator (sample data)

in regards of honda etc.. yeah I'm still shocked this car does not have proper coolant temp gauge.. just cold/warm corner cases. stupid if you ask me especially for engine with less power hence more stress -> more heat etc.. but ohh well

Last edited by vtakk; 04-07-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vtakk
aye.. see I do not think it makes sense to put synthetic in just because I follow the idea to do 2 short changes with petroleum based oil. plus for new engine synthetic does not help to seal the rings nicely.. call me old fashioned but I do believe in proper engine break-ins. As usual I'm gonna run synth amsoil with recommenced weight. Always especially on my old B and K series I can feel how easily engine runs especially in high rpms
That's why I didn't baby my GE8 when I first got her. If you smash on it every now and then right after you get a new car, the piston rings will seal properly. I got my GE8 back in October 08 and now have 36K miles. I haven't had any problem so far.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:52 PM
That's why I didn't baby my GE8 when I first got her. If you smash on it every now and then right after you get a new car, the piston rings will seal properly. I got my GE8 back in October 08 and now have 36K miles. I haven't had any problem so far.
can't agree more. for those 250 miles I put so far - it was done in S mode with proper acceleration and which is more important engine breaking. (D mode was too smart downshifting too early haha)

what oil brand do you run?

Old 04-07-2010, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
can't agree more. for those 250 miles I put so far - it was done in S mode with proper acceleration and which is more important engine breaking. (D mode was too smart downshifting too early haha)

what oil brand do you run?
I use Motul. I know it may seem a bit overkill, but my tuner hooks me up. I 5 quarts for $30. Can't beat that. I'm using 5w-30 and Hamp Synergy oil filters.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:59 PM
I use Motul. I know it may seem a bit overkill, but my tuner hooks me up. I 5 quarts for $30. Can't beat that. I'm using 5w-30 and Hamp Synergy oil filters.
hah! for that price...

Old 04-07-2010, 08:38 PM
so why do you think they specifically put this in manual - do not change before?
to save you money? lol

if you ask me - this is bullshit to run same oil for 10k after breaking new engine in. but hey that's just me ) all I needed is to get some info on what ppl think and especially when they changed theirs based on oil indicator (sample data)

in regards of honda etc.. yeah I'm still shocked this car does not have proper coolant temp gauge.. just cold/warm corner cases. stupid if you ask me especially for engine with less power hence more stress -> more heat etc.. but ohh well
My other car is a BMW and it has 10K or 15K oil changes (can't remember which) I just go when it tells me to go. There are a lot of people that have a hard time following this advice, because it goes against the old "every 3K" philosophy.

I don't think Honda says don't change your oil early just to save me money, I think it is simply what they deem "best" for the life of the engine. With that said I will tell you that a lot of BMW owners "feel" that the reason BMW has 15K oil changes is because maintenance is free for 4 years, 50K miles. So BMW, theoretically saves money by pushing out the oil changes. However, a lot of other BMW owners believe that BMW knows exactly what they are doing and would not put their reputation on the line to save a few bucks. I tend to fall under this philosophy. I don't think Honda would do something that would risk their reputation.

With all of that said, I will say this: I also believe that you can do whatever you feel like doing, it is your car after all. Enjoy your car and change your oil as often as you would like.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by SupermanGolfer
My other car is a BMW and it has 10K or 15K oil changes (can't remember which) I just go when it tells me to go. There are a lot of people that have a hard time following this advice, because it goes against the old "every 3K" philosophy.

I don't think Honda says don't change your oil early just to save me money, I think it is simply what they deem "best" for the life of the engine. With that said I will tell you that a lot of BMW owners "feel" that the reason BMW has 15K oil changes is because maintenance is free for 4 years, 50K miles. So BMW, theoretically saves money by pushing out the oil changes. However, a lot of other BMW owners believe that BMW knows exactly what they are doing and would not put their reputation on the line to save a few bucks. I tend to fall under this philosophy. I don't think Honda would do something that would risk their reputation.

With all of that said, I will say this: I also believe that you can do whatever you feel like doing, it is your car after all. Enjoy your car and change your oil as often as you would like.
I have no probs believing in 10k oil change intervals. But for full synthetic only. Can't believe petroleum based oil can hold that long especially in high revving honda engines.

Do you know how many quarts your BMW take? You will be surprised ) So yeah I think BMW can be overestimating build quality lol anyway hey 4y/50k free maintenance - all what happens beyond that is to owner's expense.

But like you said - it is personal opinion I think.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:04 AM
5 Year Member
to save you money? lol

They say not to change the oil too soon because they load it with a boatload of moly to reduce friction and form a protective barrier. See https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...synthetic.html

Old 04-08-2010, 02:04 AM
every 5,000 miles............

Old 04-08-2010, 03:01 AM
5 Year Member
Did my first at 7,500 when the gauge was at 30%. Used royal purple synthetic with whatever the recommended weight Honda suggests and a Wix filter. Plan to do it every 7,500... mostly rough city driving.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:46 AM
Did my first at 7500 miles, with 40% showing on the MM. Since then, I've changed at 15% on the MM, which has been roughly 10k miles between changes. 7500 did Mobil 1 5W20, 17,500 more of the same, 27,500 changed to Pennzoil Platinum....Wix filters (NAPA Gold) the whole way.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:23 AM
5 Year Member
iam changing mine at 10k.. iam at 7k now almost there. Iam trying to let that pre-factory molybdenum disulphide oil soak in really good to seal up those rings... but truely its up to you... the only other vehicles that has this type of engine treatment is motorcycles.. so iam sure it won't hurt it if you didn't properly treat the engine and take it out early...

all the DOHC Vtec motors don't have this molybdenum disulphide in it and they are fine...

EDIT: oops not sure if its moly disulphide, i ment to just type Moly. sorry if iam mistaken

Last edited by Vash; 04-08-2010 at 11:35 AM.

Quick Reply: engine oil - first change