2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Getting a motorcycle! Possible to have a hitch on a Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Getting a motorcycle! Possible to have a hitch on a Fit?

Hi guys. FP here! Great site! I did a little searching but couldn't find an answer.

So I'm getting a motorcycle, and I want to be able to tow it -- thus I need a hitch. I see people install them by themselves, but I don't know how to do this. I was wondering if anyone can recommend someone in the Massachusetts area that will do this kind of job, and roughly how much it would cost me.

I want a hitch so I can tow my bike around. Right now I have to rent a truck from UHAUL and that gets really expensive... =/

Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 04-06-2010, 07:46 PM
I hope this helps:

Honda Fit Custom Fit Trailer Hitch - 2009 | etrailer.com

Look around the web page and links for installation instructions and video.

Flea

Old 04-07-2010, 09:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fittr9
Hi guys. FP here! Great site! I did a little searching but couldn't find an answer.

So I'm getting a motorcycle, and I want to be able to tow it -- thus I need a hitch. I see people install them by themselves, but I don't know how to do this. I was wondering if anyone can recommend someone in the Massachusetts area that will do this kind of job, and roughly how much it would cost me.

I want a hitch so I can tow my bike around. Right now I have to rent a truck from UHAUL and that gets really expensive... =/

Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Where in Mass are you? What kinda bike are you getting? And why are you towing it around and not riding the motorcycle?

Old 04-07-2010, 10:50 AM
[quote=hogwylde;837634And why are you towing it around and not riding the motorcycle?[/quote]

Maybe because he's not buying a touring model and he wants to carry more than a tooth brush and a change of underware.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:27 AM
5 Year Member
My motorcycle is better suited to tow my Fit than the other way around or it was before I added some extra horsepower.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by whaap
Maybe because he's not buying a touring model and he wants to carry more than a tooth brush and a change of underware.
You obviously don't ride. I don't having a touring model either and can carry a lot of things. I actually have the most basic of bikes and the last time I went on a long trip, I carried two lawn chairs, a tent, sleeping bag, my clothes, AND my toothbrush and change of underwear.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
My motorcycle is better suited to tow my Fit than the other way around or it was before I added some extra horsepower.
Your name rings a bell for some reason but I'm probably wrong. What kind of bike do you have?

Old 04-07-2010, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
My hobby is old mopeds and small motorcycles, and I have a hitch on my Fit to tow them.

I bought it from etrailer.com for around $100. It installs with 4 bolts that go into existing holes in the underbody. It was a pain to get under there and put the bolts in, but not complicated. The wiring was very easy, I bought a custom harness that plugs into the taillight wiring. No splicing. I bet you could get someone else to install it for an additional $100 or so. I think you can download the full install instructions from the website before you buy.

My trailer tows just fine, though it's very light, and of course my bikes hardly weigh anything. My heaviest one is probably well under 200 pounds.

An interesting sidenote--the US Fit specs say not to tow a trailer. But the British Jazz specs say it can tow something like 1,000 pounds.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member
I just use this name on this site... I have a 2002 Goldwing but I wouldn't have gotten it except when I remarried in 2001 my wife kind of decided we needed it... I really wish I had gotten a BMW 1200 GS because I had an 1100 GS and it is the best vehicle I have ever owned.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by hogwylde
You obviously don't ride. I don't having a touring model either and can carry a lot of things. I actually have the most basic of bikes and the last time I went on a long trip, I carried two lawn chairs, a tent, sleeping bag, my clothes, AND my toothbrush and change of underwear.
Funny stuff. I have over 60 years of riding motorcycles. How about you? I just thought your comment was out of line since it seemed we had no idea what kind of a motorcycle he was buying. I guess instead I should have asked you what business is it of yours if someone wants to tow their bike or not.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FLEALAMI
I hope this helps:

Honda Fit Custom Fit Trailer Hitch - 2009 | etrailer.com

Look around the web page and links for installation instructions and video.

Flea
I second this recommendation. Love my hitch from eTrailer. I lucked out and got free installation so they could use my car for that installation video.

Last edited by reako; 04-07-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:48 PM
Ive put hitches on lots of cars and trucks youtube how its done then do it your self trust me with no other experence u can put the hitch on the only hard part i the wireing bit i u can get the harness then that should be even easyer

Old 04-07-2010, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I just use this name on this site... I have a 2002 Goldwing but I wouldn't have gotten it except when I remarried in 2001 my wife kind of decided we needed it... I really wish I had gotten a BMW 1200 GS because I had an 1100 GS and it is the best vehicle I have ever owned.

Now I know why you said what you did about being better off towing with your bike! My neighbor has an '08 or '09 'Wing and offered to let me take it out but I declined. Its mere size is intimidating and the last thing I needed was to drop a $26,000 / ~800# bike!

I have a 1999 Sportster and love it. It has plenty of power but yet is light and nimble enough for inner city traffic. Here's how I pack my bike. Mine is the silver Sportster and note how I didn't even have my saddlebags on. There's always room to pack on a bike!

Name:  Sportster.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  55.0 KB

Old 04-07-2010, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member
check your private message box.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
Funny stuff. I have over 60 years of riding motorcycles. How about you? I just thought your comment was out of line since it seemed we had no idea what kind of a motorcycle he was buying. I guess instead I should have asked you what business is it of yours if someone wants to tow their bike or not.
I've been riding about 35 years so you're obviously older than me. So you thought my questions were out of line? Let's see:

1. I asked where in Massachusetts he was (psst...so am I and maybe we could get together)

2. I asked what kind of bike he bought or is buying (simple enough question from a bike lover)

3. I asked why he was trailering it and not riding it (because I think riding is fun and thought that was the "general" reason people bought a bike)

What part was out of line? And secondly...this is a public forum and people can say what they want as long as it doesn't violate any forum rules. I didn't swear, humiliate, threaten or attack anyone. So get over yourself and go watch Matlock.

Last edited by hogwylde; 04-07-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:09 AM
I've been riding about 35 years so you're obviously older than me. So you thought my questions were out of line? Let's see:

1. I asked where in Massachusetts he was (psst...so am I and maybe we could get together)

2. I asked what kind of bike he bought or is buying (simple enough question from a bike lover)

3. I asked why he was trailering it and not riding it (because I think riding is fun and thought that was the "general" reason people bought a bike)

What part was out of line? And secondly...this is a public forum and people can say what they want as long as it doesn't violate any forum rules. I didn't swear, humiliate, threaten or attack anyone. So get over yourself and go watch Matlock.
Number 3 above is a cheap shot. It's not because you think "riding is fun". That has to be one of the dumbest things I've read in a long time. It's a feeble attempt to belittle someone because you trying to show they're less manly than you are.

Yes, it is a public forum. You can say what you want and I can say what I want. Thanks, I don't watch Matlock.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:19 AM
5 Year Member
Number 3 above is a cheap shot. It's not because you think "riding is fun". That has to be one of the dumbest things I've read in a long time. It's a feeble attempt to belittle someone because you trying to show they're less manly than you are.

Yes, it is a public forum. You can say what you want and I can say what I want. Thanks, I don't watch Matlock.
Sheesh, and I thought with age came wisdom.

Let me ask you this then. You said you had 60 years of riding experience. Why do/did you ride for so long? Was it the only form of transportation available? I guarantee that if you think about it, somewhere along the way you will say, "I enjoy(ed) it". Enjoyment = fun.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:50 AM
Sheesh, and I thought with age came wisdom.

Let me ask you this then. You said you had 60 years of riding experience. Why do/did you ride for so long? Was it the only form of transportation available? I guarantee that if you think about it, somewhere along the way you will say, "I enjoy(ed) it". Enjoyment = fun.
Of course it's fun. And, never have I ever trailered my bike but at the same time I never put down anyone that did.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member
OK, you win. I won't comment on it any more. You're obviously way too sensitive. Sorry for hurting your or anybody else's feelings. Hope to see you on the road whether in the Fits or on the bikes.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Ok back on topic....any other ideas on a hitch for a 2010 Sport Fit? No issues with bumper etc?

And yes I ride too...2007 Honda VTX 1300R

BG