2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Cracked Windshield: What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 03:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LeafEater
yeah in FL, car insurance is to cover windshields at no out of pocket cost, it's considered a safety issue or something.
Probably state law, I'd imagine. I don't believe a windshield claim in any jurisdiction would cause an individual's rate to go up (no real "at fault scenario"). But you can be certain that in order for the insurance companies in Florida to fix cracked windshields with no deductible charged the cost to them would be passed on to all drivers registered in that state.

Last edited by Aviator902S; 07-17-2010 at 05:13 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by whaap
The only thing you will lose is your time. The only way they would be liable to you is if they were negligent in some way. Road milling isn't negligent. Knowing that a road has been milled and then following the vehicle in front of you close enough that when it threw up a rock it hit your windshield might be considered negligent.
I wasn't near any other vehicle closely-I try to avoid that rather then rear ending someone who stops short. The local DOT rep answered back, we'll see what happens...

Old 07-16-2010, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by dll932
I wasn't near any other vehicle closely-I try to avoid that rather then rear ending someone who stops short. The local DOT rep answered back, we'll see what happens...
I didn't mean to indicate you were following another vehicle dangerously close. I did mean to infer you were following another vehicle close enough to catch the rock he threw up with his tire when you knew the road was being worked on.

It's just that I worked in automobile insurance claims for 25 years and I know what the DOT is going to say.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by whaap
I didn't mean to indicate you were following another vehicle dangerously close. I did mean to infer you were following another vehicle close enough to catch the rock he threw up with his tire when you knew the road was being worked on.

It's just that I worked in automobile insurance claims for 25 years and I know what the DOT is going to say.
Well, close is relative, I guess-I try to stay as many car lengths away from cars ahead as possible. I don't recall seeing anything within a few hundred feet at least.

Anyhow, I've nothing to lose by trying...

Old 03-24-2021, 11:00 AM
<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->if you are looking for an auto glass repair business opportunity you might also want to check https://crackeraser.com/business-opportunity/ a friend of mine use it for their business and they say they are getting a lot of positive reviews.

Old 04-19-2023, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by bojackson63044
Update #3:
Safelite tech came by this morning and now I have a new windshield. Total cost $266.32. Definitely will be lowering the deductible on my comprehensive in case this happens again.

Update #2:
Just met with the Safelite technician. He said that because the vehicle is so new, no autoglass shop has the moldings. They'll need to get the molding from the dealership. It will take 3-5 days and will increase my price quote. They'll call me when they find out how much.

Update:
Thanks to everyone who chirped in. I've decided to have the glass replaced thru Safelite Autoglass (http://www.safelite.com/). I'll be paying out of pocket since the total price was within my $500 deductible. The quote given was $275.01 installed. I will post again once the job is complete.

Original Post:
Long story short: rock meets windshield, rock won.

Now I have a foot-long crack going from the left edge toward the center of the windshield. I'm entertaining a few options as to what to do but I thought who best to ask other than the Fitfreaks?

1. Replace windshield through filing a claim with insurance.
I'm not sure how much replacing the windshield would cost, but I doubt it would meet the $500 deductible I currently have on my C&C policy. Also, I've never filed a claim before with any insurance company, would my premiums go up next year if I go through the insurance company?

2. Replace windshield through local auto glass shop.
Again, I don't know how much replacing the windshield would cost. But I plan to call around tomorrow. Anyone had their windshield replaced? If so, how much was the total cost?

3. Drive with cracked windshield until next safety inspection.
From what my friends tell me, a cracked windshield is not really a big deal as long as visibility is not impaired, which mine isn't. The only issue is that you'll fail the safety inspection, which isn't a problem for me since my next safety inspection isn't due for another 2 years. Are there any significant drawbacks to driving around with a cracked windshield?

Thanks in advance! Happy Easter!
I'm sorry to hear about your cracked windshield, but it's great to see that you've found a reliable and affordable option for getting it replaced. It's important to take care of windshield damage promptly to ensure your safety and avoid any potential legal issues, especially if you're in Colorado where it's illegal to drive with a cracked windshield. As for your question about filing a claim with insurance, it's best to check with your provider to see how it could impact your premiums. In many cases, windshield damage is covered under comprehensive insurance, and filing a claim shouldn't raise your rates. However, paying out of pocket for the repair or replacement can also be a good option, especially if it falls within your deductible. I'm glad to hear that you've chosen to go with Safelite Autoglass, and I hope they can quickly obtain the necessary moldings and complete the job to your satisfaction. If you ever have any other windshield-related issues in the future when you are in colorado, don't hesitate to reach out also to other reputable windshield repair services like that of A Chick And A Windshield. Their website, https://achickandawindshield.com/, is a great resource for all your auto glass needs, and they offer competitive pricing and excellent service.