2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

GE8 Sound System

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
GE8 Sound System

So, I don't see many people talking about their sound system here. I am thinking about getting 2 single slim subwoofers like JL 13TW5-3 to put underneth the each rear seats since I don't plan on using the "tall space". So here are my question.
1. Has anyone done this? (Even just putting a sub somewhere in the car)
2. If yes, does the stock headunit have a output for an amp?
3. If they don't, does anyone make aftermarket headunit cover?
4. How hard is it to find aftermarket wireings for GE8?
Thanks in advance guys

PS: If you have a sub in the car, could you post some pics?

Old 03-31-2010, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
I thought about that before. But you also wouldn't be able to fold the seats down. I've gone through ALOT of setups. I'm finally happy with everything now. 2 12" kicker cvrs in a 2.0 cubic foot sealed box for sq during the winter and a custom self built monster 4.4 cubic foot (not including port volume) 34 hz tuned ported box that takes up the entire cargo area in the summer. I have a 900 watt rms(cea compliant) 1 ohm stable class d kenwood amp with an all important subsonic filter for the subs. I have a 360 watt rms(cea compliant) 4 channel amp bridged down to 2 channels at 180 a piece. On the other end I have the polk MM series 6.5 inch component speakers with tweeters flush mounted in the dash where stock tweeters used to be. My headunit is just a boring pioneer touch screen DVD player but for $350 new it's a great name brand headunit with just enough equalizer control to make it sound awesome.

Upgrade the grounding strap!!! Just do it, it will make a big difference with headlight dimming.

1. Yes
2. No, on my first few setups I had vampire taped the wires at the headunit for the speakers and ran it into high level inputs on my previous amps.
3. Yes, the metra one is the best.
4. So easy it hurts, practically all new hondas use the sane harness.

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 03-31-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:59 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
this has been discussed plenty of times.
the search feature is your best friend.

and yes you can do all your asking but you will
need inline audio converter (IAC) with oem head unit.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:46 PM
My setup is 2 12" kicker crv it takes the whole back of my fit I am running the stock hu u needto ge an adapter to go from the back of the radio like I tell everyone I always ran everything or put everything in myself or with help but not my subs I paid 60 bucks for a shop I trust o put it in it's the biggest pita that u can think of IMHO get two tens or one twelve because mine is way to loud I had it from another vehical an did not want it to be a 600$ end table in my house lol

Old 03-31-2010, 08:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by crash001
My setup is 2 12" kicker crv it takes the whole back of my fit I am running the stock hu u needto ge an adapter to go from the back of the radio like I tell everyone I always ran everything or put everything in myself or with help but not my subs I paid 60 bucks for a shop I trust o put it in it's the biggest pita that u can think of IMHO get two tens or one twelve because mine is way to loud I had it from another vehical an did not want it to be a 600$ end table in my house lol
Too loud? Impossible! You just need to upgrade those door speakers and tweeters you know you want to

Old 03-31-2010, 09:13 PM
I was thinking about it but the stock speakers don't sound too bad to me i think I might get a new hu not because of quality but style

Old 03-31-2010, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
The oem speakers aren't bad it's just they can't hope to handle the amount of power you need to throw at them to match your cvrs. Imagine having a system where people 2 blocks away can hear not only the bass line but also the lyrics and every other insturment in the song. Be sure to play extremely 'white' music like Rick astley or Bruce springsteen or Elvis etc. Confuses people and tends to make them laugh instead of wanting to murder you. Besides, after the first month you'll only blast your music everyone once in a while.

The reason I bought the mm Polk speakers is because they are extremely sensitive (something like 94.x db) and marine certified and rated up to 120 watts rms. Every pair of speakers I put in the doors has gotten water in them. No point putting in $250 speakers if they are going to get wrecked. You could just put in baffles though.

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 03-31-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
So, I did my search and measurement of the rear seat space at my friend's shop. I have about VERY SMALL space to work with if i wanna put down the seats to fold flat. My friend (who's been making custom sound system) suggested me to take the plastic thinggy under the rear seats off if i wanna have 2" of more room to work with. He said he can make a custom fiberglass housing for it as long as the subs are less than 3" thick. Also the subs has to be 8" or less since the enclosure air space is going to be so small. But we couldn't really find a good place to put an amp... So long story short, I have to spend $100 (custom fiberglass housing and installation) + $400 (2 thin 8" subs) + $200 (1000w amp) + $50 (wireings) to have a system that only people inside will hear. I don't know if that's worth it... I guess just give up the trunk space and get a single 12" and a 500W amp which only costs 1/2 and 5 times louder than a custom sound system... Plus I rather have more weight in the back of the car anyway So there, I hope this helps if anyone going to do the sound system under the rear seats

Old 04-01-2010, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
You can get a 10 in a sealed box if you need cargo space...box should be under 1 cube most likley

Old 04-02-2010, 12:28 AM
5 Year Member
I was searching for a sub, and came across with this.
Infinity 1252w Reference Series 12" subwoofer with dual 4-ohm voice coils at Crutchfield.com
I think $50 + $8 shipping ain't bad for a 12" 1250W sub. I'm not getting this but I think this is a pretty good deal for someone who wants to get an inexpensive sub.