2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

My engine seems to have gotten louder

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 07:10 PM
My engine seems to have gotten louder

I have about 10.5k on my 5 month old Fit and over the past few weeks I have noticed that the engine and/or exhaust has gotten noticeably louder especially during moderate acceleration or highway traveling (when the torque converter is locked up and you give it gas to speed up). I have the body plugs installed so I know its not that and even did a complete oil and filter change, tire rotation (the first one since the MM told me too) and it has not gotten better. Plus, it was happening way before the MM told me to change the oil. I know its not road noise either since the car is quiet while idling and light coasting while driving. I also checked the air filter and made sure it was on right and sealed up right (BTW, I hate how close the air inlet for the engine is to the firewall)...I took it in to Honda Service since I had a flat today and told the service tech and of course they found nothing wrong with the exhaust when they fixed my flat but I was wondering if anyone else noticed their Fit changing engine sound after it "breaks-in"? I'm hoping I don't have burnt valves or anything engine failure related Anyone have any advice?

Old 03-29-2010, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
I have about half of your mileage and cannot report the same thing happening. Only you know if it's so much louder now. Maybe your foot has gotten heavier? As my car has broken in and I'm more familiar with it and the weather is nicer now, my foot has gotten a bit heavier. Can't be helped, the damn car is just too much fun to drive. It really does egg you on! You also have a bit of a list of mods. Maybe that factors into something, I don't know. If it amounts to a solution, let us know. I'd be checking the entire exhaust system and muffler too.

Dan

Old 03-29-2010, 10:29 PM
5 Year Member
Not to worry about burnt valves.

Did they drive your car or just check it out on the lift?

Reason I am asking is the Fits motor moves around on the motor mounts during accel/decel. That flexes the exhaust system.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:12 PM
5 Year Member
It could be that since the weather is warmer you aren't using the heater so the fan isn't on and distracting you from or masking the engine drive train and road noise..... My fan on high using the dash vents is so loud I thought the window or door weather stripping was letting air in.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
I have about half of your mileage and cannot report the same thing happening. Only you know if it's so much louder now. Maybe your foot has gotten heavier? As my car has broken in and I'm more familiar with it and the weather is nicer now, my foot has gotten a bit heavier. Can't be helped, the damn car is just too much fun to drive. It really does egg you on! You also have a bit of a list of mods. Maybe that factors into something, I don't know. If it amounts to a solution, let us know. I'd be checking the entire exhaust system and muffler too.

Dan
Thanks Dan, it is possible that I am driving more powerfully...the car is def. fun to drive! I just noticed it after a long 600+ mile trip a few weeks back. I thought changing the oil would have helped but it didn't. If it doesn't seem to get better, I will bring it in again. Maybe I should test drive another new fit just to see the sound as well.

Originally Posted by Tork
Not to worry about burnt valves.

Did they drive your car or just check it out on the lift?

Reason I am asking is the Fits motor moves around on the motor mounts during accel/decel. That flexes the exhaust system.
W/O just says "checked exhaust and could not duplicate problem". I doubt they did a road test, just looked under for anything loose...but I did the same thing.

Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
It could be that since the weather is warmer you aren't using the heater so the fan isn't on and distracting you from or masking the engine drive train and road noise..... My fan on high using the dash vents is so loud I thought the window or door weather stripping was letting air in.
I use my fan setting all-year at least on 1 to circulate the air in the cabin or heat a/c as needed... I rarely roll down the windows. I did drive near a divider with the window down to see if i can hear exhaust leakage but I couldn't really tell.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:20 AM
i have also noticed an increased noise that coincides with approx. 2000rpm. the car has 55000km. I will monitor , and also ask dealership.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:55 PM
31k miles on my Fit over 8 months of ownership, and it drives and sounds like new.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:09 PM
can you guys help me also. im really stupid when it comes to cars and i have a 08 honda fit with 42k miles..i started noticing this motorboat-like sound everytime i drive, especially on the freeway and it bothers me so much. i asked the dealership what the problem could be and has been addvicing me to bring the car in for a diagnostic check (which is around $80+)...

what do you guys think about this prob???

Old 04-07-2010, 05:15 PM
.eL
5 Year Member
Anyone complaining about noise in their Fit might want to make sure it's not coming from any of the heat shields on the exhaust system. I had this problem myself. The heat shield covering the top of the exhaust manifold likes to rattle on my car and all the bolts are extremely tight. Once in a while I'll have to pull on the end of it (the part furthest from the engine) and it will go away. It comes back from time to time and when I brought it in to Honda, they claimed to not hear anything... as usual.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member
I have no idea but be sure and have life preservers on board for all of your passengers.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
I'm a little over 10,500 and have noticed increased engine noise as well in my 09 a/t fit. I have exhaust and intake so I quite a bit of noise as it is. But the new noise sounds more of what I would call an engine "clatter". It sounds louder at idle (and is different than the metallic sewing machine sound that everone says is normal). I attributed it to the warmer weather, but I also have considered changing oil early since I do drive my fit pretty hard. I'm using royal purple synthetic that I originally planned to change every 7,500 miles, with the next change coming at 15k.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:19 PM
5 Year Member
The exhaust heat shield is something that can easily be ruled out by having someone sit in the car and bring the revs up to where the sound is heard while you take a piece of wood, broom handle, hammer handle or whatever and push it on the heat shield.... If the noise stops or changes while pressure is on it that is the source..... I can't remember if my car ever made that sound or not but I had a 4 cylinder BMW motorcycle that had a heat shield on the muffler that raised hell at a certain RPM... I just don't know about the motorboat sound but there is a crazy low frequency thing that is almost scary if your rear windows are down and the front are up at speeds over 55 or 60... Don't even roll the rears down at 90.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by quecan39
i have also noticed an increased noise that coincides with approx. 2000rpm. the car has 55000km. I will monitor , and also ask dealership.
Originally Posted by baylorbro
I'm a little over 10,500 and have noticed increased engine noise as well in my 09 a/t fit. I have exhaust and intake so I quite a bit of noise as it is. But the new noise sounds more of what I would call an engine "clatter". It sounds louder at idle (and is different than the metallic sewing machine sound that everone says is normal). I attributed it to the warmer weather, but I also have considered changing oil early since I do drive my fit pretty hard. I'm using royal purple synthetic that I originally planned to change every 7,500 miles, with the next change coming at 15k.
Picked out these 2 because sometimes it is a heat shield rattling. That can tend to be RPM specific. Had a noise that bothered me on my GD3, it was the heat shield on the exhaust manifold (header) Honda replaced it under warranty.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Clarkemode
over the past few weeks I have noticed that the engine and/or exhaust has gotten noticeably louder especially during moderate acceleration or highway traveling (when the torque converter is locked up and you give it gas to speed up).
I noticed my exhaust seems louder now with the throttle position very light just cruising at highway speeds. Noticed this in the last 10k miles or so (currently at 45k), I would say most people would not even perceive this difference. Just figured my K&N panel intake filter or stock exhaust was breaking in or whatnot, honestly I kind of like the very minor added growl from the exhaust.

Just got back from the dealer (flush/fill AT fluid, MPG software updated, and AC compressor hiss checked out) but they said everything else is fine (compressor hiss has been there from the factory and was unfortunately not fixed).

Old 04-07-2010, 07:30 PM
Anyone complaining about noise in their Fit might want to make sure it's not coming from any of the heat shields on the exhaust system. I had this problem myself. The heat shield covering the top of the exhaust manifold likes to rattle on my car and all the bolts are extremely tight. Once in a while I'll have to pull on the end of it (the part furthest from the engine) and it will go away. It comes back from time to time and when I brought it in to Honda, they claimed to not hear anything... as usual.

WHERE CAN I FIND THESE HEAT SHIELDS????

Old 04-07-2010, 07:32 PM
coz the sound is coming from the back....

Old 04-07-2010, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
I'm glad the GE8 is louder. It was too damn quiet for my taste in the beginning.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:49 PM
mine is considerably louder too. At idle you can hear the ticking from inside the car, and I remember when I had to check the tach to see if the car was running when it was new. I tend to rev the engine close to redline more often than I should but still, at 27,000 miles, I don't expect the car to sound like a diesel.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tork
Picked out these 2 because sometimes it is a heat shield rattling. That can tend to be RPM specific. Had a noise that bothered me on my GD3, it was the heat shield on the exhaust manifold (header) Honda replaced it under warranty.
Would it be the same on the GE with the integrated header and exhaust manifold? I only seem to hear the louder sound at idle.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by baylorbro
Would it be the same on the GE with the integrated header and exhaust manifold? I only seem to hear the louder sound at idle.
Header is hot rod terminology for a tubular exhaust manifold most often associated with after market parts... Auto manufacturers utilize the term exhaust manifold..... I think if the Fit's exhaust manifold had been built as an after market part there would be no doubt that it is a tubular header but not a great one.... The use of 5 w 20 oil is one of the reasons the Fit isn't quiet.

Quick Reply: My engine seems to have gotten louder