2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

'10 Fit Sport with 311 miles: breaks exhaust pipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 11:03 PM
'10 Fit Sport with 311 miles: breaks exhaust pipe

And now, for something completely different, my not even broken-in fit with just 311 miles sprung an exhaust problem. I was making a left turn onto a bridge near my home and as soon as the front tire hit the expansion joint, I felt something rattle in the rear. After that rattle, it suddenly sounded like a grapefruit shooter exhaust was added. I'm just beyond shocked- and wondered if this was just a very chance issue, or if build quality is suspect. I mean, 311 miles??? Am I crazy if i start looking up my state's lemon laws?

I guess I'm just annoyed that its going to complicate the work schedule, and Ill have to drive around with that exhaust the way it is, while the car is being fixed.

**Update Edit: I brought car in to dealer yesterday. FYI, As I started up the car yesterday AM, it was much quieter than it was Saturday when I parked it. Dealer could not find anything wrong. Noise has subsided, all we could think is that something got stuck between the a shield and the car's body- that would sound and feel like an exhaust leak, and perhaps it fell off and problem solved itself. I am not, however, stupid! :/

Last edited by fitsburgh_steelers; 03-30-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:47 AM
5 Year Member
I think you can dial back the lawyers at this point. As you can read through this forum, there are VERY few problems with the fit and the chance you have a lemon is VERY slim. It's probably a bad exhaust pipe that needs to be replaced and will have no bearing on the rest of the car. It sucks that it happened with so few miles on it but there are going to be one or two cars that have a problem right out of the gate and someone has to buy those cars... DING DING! you're the winner. Tell the dealer any frustrations you have with the car having so few miles and that it's costing you some time off of work. They might throw in your 1st oil change for free as realistically, it's no skin off their back and it's a good-will gesture. I wouldn't expect any more than that.

~SB

Old 03-28-2010, 08:13 AM
^ is right and u most likely will get that free oil change lol cha ching And the e xhaust prob is lame but I bet ur just the lucky one good luck

Old 03-28-2010, 09:22 AM
5 Year Member
I have seen estimates of 10,000-15,000 parts in a modern car; multiply that over hundreds of thousands of vehicles, and it's remarkable there are so few problems. Don't worry about it -- that's what warranties are for.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:46 AM
FYI, at my dealer, first oil change is already thrown in. Come to think of it, every new car Ive bought has always had the first oil change thrown in.

Its annoying to drive around with an exhaust like that, and getting pulled over isn't any more fun, so I'll push for a loaner vehicle. And since the dealer has a Porsche shop on the lot, a pre-owned 911. Because they have some slogan about making sure all their customers are satisfied...

Old 03-28-2010, 11:13 AM
The manual trans on my 1997 Jetta got stuck in 2nd gear with 230 miles on it. It was a fluke bad casting on the case and it had a small crack. They replaced it and I never had a problem again.

Most likely a weld on the pipe failed or wasn't done correctly. After 10 years in manufacturing systems, it is hard to believe, but even robots make mistakes.

Yea it's annoying, but it can be fixed and you will most likely never have a problem again.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:16 AM
**Update Edit: I brought car in to dealer yesterday. FYI, As I started up the car yesterday AM, it was much quieter than it was Saturday when I parked it. Dealer could not find anything wrong. Noise has subsided, all we could think is that something got stuck between the a shield and the car's body- that would sound and feel like an exhaust leak, and perhaps it fell off and problem solved itself. I am not, however, stupid! :/