2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

From an Audi to a Fit...crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 05:22 PM
From an Audi to a Fit...crazy?

Hello all, I just recently came across this forum since I am now thinking of picking up a brand new Fit Sport to replace my Audi A4. I know it's not necessarily an upgrade, but a big reason is to save money. The .9% financing going on right now is a great selling point, but more importantly, I have always loved the Fit!

I have owned hondas/acuras my whole life up until the A4 and I thought I would never go back...the Audi is amazing on all levels, but I feel I don't appreciate the smaller things that I used to in a car. Am I crazy for debating this purchase??

Cars are my favorite hobby, so working on the Fit would be no exception...I have always loved the hunt for rare JDM parts. I could pocket over $10k, cut my monthly payments in half, but i'm not sure I would regret the decision. Don't be afraid to tell my i'm insane or that it's an obvious decision!

Here's my current car:

http://www.grandmarkie.com/Audi/66.jpg
http://www.grandmarkie.com/Audi/2.jpg

Last edited by GrandMarkie; 03-26-2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:46 PM
5 Year Member
Would you be taking a big loss trading down? And would you be buying it new? Since you are pocketing $10K, why not add a few extra thousand to pay it off completely rather than finance?

That is a nice Audi though, if it were me I probably wouldn't trade down to a Fit, I'd drive it into the ground first. But you can't go wrong with the Fit either.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:02 PM
Many owners as well as I have traded down (see my sig). Weak economy and just people learning to simplify has brought a lot of new Fit owners to the scene.

I personally just wanted to go back and get a simple/practical/cheap/fun car. Awesome reliability doesn't hurt as well. I could afford much more expensive cars but I would rather save so I now have a SSM Fit Sport in the garage.

I love Audi's. My buddy actually has a TT 225 with a stage 2 turbo kit on it and a bunch of other goodies. Very nice car. I like to work on them (Detailer) but will keep my no payment new car .

To each his own. Good luck on your decision.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member
My trade down was from and Altima 3.5SE. a Drop of 153hp and a quiet ride with nicely supportive seats. The fit isn't as comfortable from a longer drive standpoint but I like the lateral support it has. It's also a much more fun car to drive. As I've stated before, I rode to work in the altima, in the fit, I drive to work.

To me, downgrading to the fit was a smart choice for the family as our monthly costs are ove $120 less/month, but we made some compromises. Dropping down from the A4 would be an even bigger drop (but primarily in creature comforts).

~SB

Old 03-26-2010, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
The Fit is everything you need for a daily driver. I don't see it as a complete downgrade. The Fit just has too many pros.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:15 PM
1 year later, and it's the smartest downgrade I've ever made.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GrandMarkie
yes,you will hate this car if you go from that a4. i had a 91 nissan nx 2000 before my 09 and the fits build quality is so much lower then nx! i can only imagine your regret with that a4. the crap that rattles in the cabin alone will drive you nuts.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:28 PM
5 Year Member
I traded "down" from a 300ZX Turbo, and I like the Fit much better, especially in urban driving. The Fit is like driving a go-kart.

It's an apple to oranges comparison, but maintenance is nil and fuel costs are cut by 1/3 to 1/2 for my "downgrade".

Old 03-26-2010, 11:16 PM
Being an Audi tech by trade - I'll tell you right now you WILL miss the A4. Fit and finish are hard to beat and when you get in a car, slam the door and drive it every day you notice things. Keep the A4, take care of it and it will reward you.

It's easy to swap up between US and Japanese cars, but people who buy a German car find it hard to go back to something without the finish of a German brand (this applies to BMW, MB, and Audi). I love my Fit, but I have been seduced by the cars I work on. Once my Honda is paid off, an S4 is definitely in my future.

If you need any help or advice on your A4, I'd be happy to help.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:19 PM
I'm really glad I came across a thread like this...I still feel uneasy telling people what I traded in for my Fit. I drove a 2008 Mazdaspeed3 for a good year and a half. Was pushing 300hp and well over 300lb-ft with just the couple mods I had on it - and I traded in a '00 Si for the MS3, so the torque in the Mazda was a whole other WORLD. But a fun as hell one at that...

I'll be the first to admit that I still yearn for the speed's power. But I constantly find myself thinking how much I love this damn Fit! Cost of ownership and car payment drop has already saved me a ton of money. 23mpg on Premium is a big difference from 35mpg on 87 octane

That on top of what everyone else has said--the Fit is just an incredibly fun car to drive, and the whole package is just top notch. You'd definitely miss the A4 at times. But I'd be shocked if you ever felt actual regret. Commit took the below words right out of my mouth...

Originally Posted by Committobefit08
I personally just wanted to go back and get a simple/practical/cheap/fun car. Awesome reliability doesn't hurt as well.
...on a side note I've just realized how I really need to start posting a bit more...

Old 03-26-2010, 11:32 PM
Thank you all for your input!

Unfortunately, my decision isn't any easier, but that was expected. I agree fit and finish on the A4 is far superior, and I would certainly miss the Quattro and the torque. MPG would improve slightly, i'm currently getting upper 20's to low 30's on my 2.0.

I prefer to drive my girlfriend's Mini Cooper, I just like peppy, nimble cars. My first car was a 1988 Accord and loved it more than any other car i've owned to this date.

I've listed a feeler ad for my Audi today to see what kind of interest I get, maybe if the right buyer comes along, that will help me make my decision easier. Some great input by everyone, thanks again!

Old 03-27-2010, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
Am I crazy for debating this purchase??

Jump on the Pike and head west to exit 3. I'll let you take my Fit for a spin and let you decide.

I do have to admit your Audi is sweet though...

Old 03-27-2010, 12:11 AM
5 Year Member
I traded from a Porsche 911 to a Fit Sport...don't miss it.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:34 AM
5 Year Member
I got rid of my Mercedes SL500 for a Honda Fit but again I do have two more vehicles

~Robert

Old 03-27-2010, 07:39 AM
Just noticed you are from Waltham. Any chance you get your A4 serviced in Westwood?

Old 03-27-2010, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by FITProject
Just noticed you are from Waltham. Any chance you get your A4 serviced in Westwood?
Indeed I do. I should be getting my 35k service in a week or so.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:18 AM
I own both A4 and fit.
Drive Fit more than A4.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:07 AM
5 Year Member
I'll be downgrading from a MKV GTI FSI to a Fit so I know what it's like to drive that 2.0T engine. The torque is something to truly behold. It was my first German car, and yes the fit and finish and performance are fantastic, but I can't live with the service level of the VW dealerships around here, the maintenance costs and there are no really good indie VW shops that I can find that I seem to trust.
About the service level. I've owned only Hondas before this GTI, and still have one through my wife, and the service department is no comparison. At the Honda dealer we deal with, they seem to understand that you are doing them the favor by servicing you car there, where I find the VW dealers around here seem to have it the other way around. It's like they're almost annoyed that you have a problem for them to diagnose.

Having test driven the Fit at said dealer, yeah the Fit is not as fast or torquey as that sweet 2.0T, but it's no slouch either and is pretty zippy in that go-kart way I've always loved about small cars. And to my eye, the fit and finish level is pretty damn good for a small economy car, considering what the competition in this market segment look like.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:32 PM
Indeed I do. I should be getting my 35k service in a week or so.
Very nice. I'm a tech there, and been working at the dealer for 2 years now. Look for the black fit in the back parking lot, haha.

I totally agree with the comments about the Fit. For a sub 20k car it certainly has great quality of plastics.The interior is on par with more expensive cars and to be honest the panel gaps and feel of the car is better than most modern GM and Ford products at twice or three times the price. I'd say test drive a Fit, and really think long and hard about your decision. Assuming you commute to work, and live in the NE - snows will be a given for the Fit and it will not handle snow and crappy weather like quattro. Nor will it handle the pot holes and suicidal traffic on 128.

That being said, everyone complains about maintenance on German cars.The fact is that techs at factory dealerships that service German brands usually take their job more seriously due to higher wages and higher customer standards. Services are also far more in depth. I don't want anyone working on Hondas or Toyotas to take offense to that - but higher labor rates and more expensive vehicles lend themselves more importance. Hence the more expensive labor and parts.

You will get a different level of service at a highline dealer than you will at a Honda dealer. I

To anyone still keeping a german car,

-Have tires replaced at tire stores, as most dealerships mark tires up a fair margin. But replace the tires with the same make/model tire that came on. Most cars are engineered with certain tires in mind. Stay away from Pirellis though. Contis and Michelins are great choices.

-Have alignments done AT THE DEALER. Too many people make the mistake of having a tire warehouse align a $30k car that is not set up to deal with the certain specs of different build types.

-Get tire rotations (whether it be a tire store, or at the dealer during regular services). German cars tend to have a good deal of camber and toe dialed in stock and will wear tires more in the front if left on. Additionally (especially Audis) are nose heavy and the fronts can sometime wear out 2x faster than the rears.

-Get an extended warranty/factory service plan. Cannot stress this enough. Contrary to what a lot of people are led to believe, a properly maintained German car doesn't just sporadically blow up. Things do go wrong though.
Nothing is better than paying a $50 deductible for a $2000 repair and having a shop do it right.

-Do not let fly by night or sketchy corner garages mess with your car. There are a good deal of independents that are experienced and equipped to fix high end cars, but damage can be easily done if someone not experienced with these cars tries to fix them

Old 03-27-2010, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FITProject
You will get a different level of service at a highline dealer than you will at a Honda dealer. I

The problem for me though is around here the VW dealerships are sub par when it comes to service in comparison to the Honda dealer around here. Hell, the Honda dealer in our city has a higher overall customer service rating than all the local "upscale" dealers(MB. Audi, BMW, etc.) Even the one VW dealer is an Audi/VW dealer, but everyone I know who has had service done there can't believe how bad their service is. Like I said, it's the attitude and condescension that is unbelievable with these guys. And I service my car in the city next to mine where it's a strictly VW only dealership, but again the service attitude is sub par.

I'm quite sure there are spectacular VW service departments. Only they're no where near me!

Quick Reply: From an Audi to a Fit...crazy?