2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

From an Audi to a Fit...crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 04:14 PM
i downgraded from a Mini Cooper S convertible....loved that car to death. It had HID's, Harman Kardon Stereo, Auto AC....but the darn thing kept breaking down all the time. Temperature Sensor, Oxygen Sensor and Wheel Sensor, etc. For some reason every 6 months, I have to call a tow truck and since im a poor college student and BMW/MINI techs charge rediculously for labor, the Cooper had to go. And Im proud to report that my Fit has no problems so far!!!

...knock on wood

Old 04-18-2010, 02:02 AM
I traded in a 2000 A4 for a Fit sport. True, A4 are great cars..good handling, nice smooth turbo power. I really like Audi. But cost of keeping an old Audi is not reasonable. Every time you go to the pump it costs you $60+ dollars, and every time when an Audi without warranty breaks down, it will cost you an arm and leg.

With a new Fit you pretty much pay no maintenance cost except oil change. And fill-up cost no more than $30.

In my opinion, Fit is a fun commuter car and audi a4 is car you can enjoy when you don't worry about its cost.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:57 AM
trade

I went from a s2000 to a 07 fit sport, then to a 08 civic si sedan, then a 08 subaru sti, and now a 2010 fit sport. I miss the awd and turbo, but the fit does everything the sti did. I wont miss the $50 fill ups and 16-20 mpg.
I have owned a lot of cars in my time and i really really enjoy the fit. I dont feel you will regret it one bit.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:03 AM
5 Year Member
I traded in a 2000 A4 for a Fit sport. True, A4 are great cars..good handling, nice smooth turbo power. I really like Audi. But cost of keeping an old Audi is not reasonable. Every time you go to the pump it costs you $60+ dollars, and every time when an Audi without warranty breaks down, it will cost you an arm and leg.

With a new Fit you pretty much pay no maintenance cost except oil change. And fill-up cost no more than $30.

In my opinion, Fit is a fun commuter car and audi a4 is car you can enjoy when you don't worry about its cost

I never had the guts to take chances with Audi's. Many years ago when my dad purchased a new Audi 5000. And if it wasn't one thing, it was another with it. That alone convinced me Audi's are nice cars, but not much different than being married to some hot bitch.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:27 AM
Had a chance to perform the 35k service on Markies A4, and a Fit would CERTAINLY be a downgrade. Heated 18 way power adjustable Recaros have nothing on the crappy seats we have. Not to mention suede inserts...

Not to mention newer Audis are nothing like the older ones. The older 1.8T's and 2.7T's scared a lot of people when they went out of warranty- the newer models have more robust powertrains that do not have nearly as many problems. But 2000-2003 2.7T or 1.8...good luck.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FITProject
Had a chance to perform the 35k service on Markies A4, and a Fit would CERTAINLY be a downgrade. Heated 18 way power adjustable Recaros have nothing on the crappy seats we have. Not to mention suede inserts...

Not to mention newer Audis are nothing like the older ones. The older 1.8T's and 2.7T's scared a lot of people when they went out of warranty- the newer models have more robust powertrains that do not have nearly as many problems. But 2000-2003 2.7T or 1.8...good luck.

Are you kidding? I'm in a lease for a 2007 VW GTI wit the 2.0FSI turbo(same engine used in the Audi A4 base), and yeah ,they've improved it to the 2.0TSI, but check the VW/Audi boards and read some of the problems going on. Thankfully my lease ends when the warranty does. Luckily I have yet to have a problem, but reading these constant problems on the boards I'm a member of, has scared me back to Honda, where I came from.

The 2.0 turbo engines are sure as hell fun to drive, but the risk vs. reward just ain't worth it when it comes to maintenance. when this lease is up I'm coming home to Honda and getting a Fit Sport. In all the years I've owned Hondas, I have never seen even a 1/4 of the problems these guys are reporting with the VW/Audi 2.0 turbos. Sure they're better than before, but that's relative to the 1.8's not compared to a Honda.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:39 PM
Sure thing, but remember that a VW/Audi engine is NOT a Honda engine and that is the same reason its apples to oranges. From what I know (not that I know anything) the 2.0 FSI had issues with high pressure pump cam followers wearing down on the 05-06 BPG engines. Breathers failed, but those are easy and cheap to fix. Intake flap motors and some issues with cold start misfires if crappy fuel was used. by 08, the TSI motor is 1000x better with a chain drive and a better breather system.

The 2.7's and earlier 1.8's were nightmares. Between coils, breather systems, EGT sensors, cats, coolant temp sensors, intake leaks and MAF failures the engines were veritable time bombs. By 03-04 they had fixed a lot of issues.

What I've found with talking to customers is that forum talk about technical issues consists of a lot of non qualified people armchair diagnosing, and a lot of people second guessing factory findings. I take anything on a forum as a grain of salt, but have had too many Audi/VWphiles who live on Vortex try and prediagnose their car and be completely wrong.

These aren't Hondas.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member

What I've found with talking to customers is that forum talk about technical issues consists of a lot of non qualified people armchair diagnosing, and a lot of people second guessing factory findings. I take anything on a forum as a grain of salt, but have had too many Audi/VWphiles who live on Vortex try and prediagnose their car and be completely wrong.

I agree about the forum talk, but when they talk about certain physical symptoms like rough idling, jerking, and the dreaded "limp mode"(which a friend of mine had happen to him. He unloaded the car asap after they fixed it under warranty, because, he did not want a car that would suddenly go into limp mode on the highway, which it did 120km/h traffic!), you may not be able to diagnose it properly as an amateur, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out something is not right. And with the TSI, there have been reports of some timing chain problems causing major engine issues. Yes, all covered under warranty, I know, but does not inspire confidence.

These aren't Hondas.

As far as I'm concerned, that's not a selling point, that's a deterrent!

Old 04-19-2010, 12:27 AM
I went from a m3 to a fit. That was a big change! Well, I still have the m3 but the fit is my daily now =)

Old 04-19-2010, 12:44 AM
5 Year Member
I went from a 97 tbird to a fit... The fit is faster; However, the tbird is a tank and refuses to die. Honestly, domestics aren't THAT bad if you know how to turn a wrench and have time to do repairs on every other weekend (and a backup car) because domestic parts are so damn cheap and plentiful. So in other words: 2 domestic cars = 1 honda.