2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

New NYS plate- not happy!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 12:03 AM
5 Year Member
New NYS plate- not happy!

This plate sucks big time. We NY state folks will all have this before long. May take a couple of years, but you too will have one when you go to renew your reg. I think this will be an ugly spot on both the front and back of my silver fit! Not to mention, the state will make their money if you want to keep your numbers, which I do. I like our plates currently- a lot. Now this! It's a throw back to 20 years ago, I believe. Hated it then, hate it now. We didn't ask for it, yet we must comply.

Name:  NewNYplatecopy.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  46.5 KB

Old 03-23-2010, 12:12 AM
Wow. Who designed this? Did they actually get paid for it? Looks like sabotage from within.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:25 AM
5 Year Member
i herd about this.. its just a way for ny state to make money off of people. its totaly unnecessary

Old 03-23-2010, 12:37 AM
5 Year Member
I have to agree with you, that is one ugly plate. Doesn't NY have a multitude of plates for you to choose from? I remember back in Florida there were a number of different plates you could choose from, of course at your cost.

I don't particularly care for the Japanese plates, but in the overall scheme, I guess they are very simplistic and don't stand out. That one is so damn ugly it will SCREAM, "yeah I'm ugly, FU!!!" (in typical NY fashion)

Old 03-23-2010, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member
So is it gonna be raised number plate like here in cali? I think some states have a plate that is completely flat and looks like vinyl letters on a piece of plastic. I like cali's plate, they are reflective with raised letters.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:09 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah this sucks. I have a concentrated plan to avoid that ugly color scheme though. So far you don't have to get new plates until your registration is up, so that's in my favor b/c I have two years left with the plates I have. At that point I'll get a custom plate b/c I heard they aren't getting the redesign until all the generic numbers are rolled out. Hopefully this will buy me a few years. But ugh. Those plates are hideous.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:11 AM
ahhh that sucks. your old plates were a lot nicer

Old 03-23-2010, 01:25 AM
5 Year Member
I have to agree with you, that is one ugly plate. Doesn't NY have a multitude of plates for you to choose from?
I believe there are variations of the overall theme that you can order custom for your region. With this ugly crap, I can't imagine what they'll be. This is the stock plate that you'll get either for nothing, or a one time charge for it- something like that. Either way they're getting you for bucks. The more custom, the more bucks- to renew it each time too. Don't know the particulars yet. I don't wish to spend bucks on my plate, but with this look I may have to. Our current plates are very car-color friendly. Not this one!

Old 03-23-2010, 01:35 AM
5 Year Member
Btw- this is where we've come from. I like the current one a lot. Oh well.

Name:  USA_NY_GI8_1980s-today1.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  27.2 KB

Old 03-23-2010, 01:41 AM
5 Year Member
Soooo clashy!

Old 03-23-2010, 05:08 AM
5 Year Member
This is handy to see what personalized plates would look like.

ACME License Maker

Mine

Name:  003-6.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  57.8 KB

Old 03-23-2010, 07:13 AM
You can't complain until you see the new Ohio ones.

We have a whole landscape scene on ours. Oh yea that's a windmill baby!

Old 03-23-2010, 07:37 AM
Am I the only one that likes the new look? I think its a visually bold and distinctive choice. I tell you what though, I think license plates shouldn't change very much over time. Luckily here in VT, we have had the same design for a long time. There would be a public riot if we changed our design.
I collect old plates, and my garage/basement have plates from a few different states. As a graphic designer, some appeal more to me than others. The new NY one is one I want.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:39 AM
Looks like the leaders of the Peoples Republic of New York don't care what the People think. They just do whatever THEY want.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:20 AM
5 Year Member
So when does this new plate come out? I renewed my registration for two years just last week, and nothing was said about plates. All I got was the windshield sticker. I have yet to see any of the new plates around here, either. Actually, my existing plates at nearly 10 years old are pretty rusty looking, and don't look all that good on my car anymore.

I don't particularly care for the new plates, (BORING!!) but I'm not about to have a coronary on an internet forum over it. There's lot's of things in this world that upset me, but this isn't one of them.

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 03-23-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
You can't complain until you see the new Ohio ones.

We have a whole landscape scene on ours. Oh yea that's a windmill baby!

Old 03-23-2010, 10:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
So when does this new plate come out? I renewed my registration for two years just last week, and nothing was said about plates. All I got was the windshield sticker. I have yet to see any of the new plates around here, either. Actually, my existing plates at nearly 10 years old are pretty rusty looking, and don't look all that good on my car anymore.

I don't particularly care for the new plates, (BORING!!) but I'm not about to have a coronary on an internet forum over it. There's lot's of things in this world that upset me, but this isn't one of them.

Supposedly they're going to start rolling them out for people who renew their registration starting this april, so you got in under the wire. You won't have to get the new plates till your registration expires in two years. For a while we're going to have a mix of old plates and new plates running around. The worst thing about it, even for people who like the new design, is that everyone is going to have to pay extra for new plates, and extra on top of that if you want to keep the same numbers you have. So anywhere from 25 to 40-something dollars extra on top of the already raised registration price.

I'm not having a coronary on the internet about it, but someone started this thread to express this opinion and I commented because I share it, that's all.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
S

As my wife says about any external mod. "You can 't see it when you are driving so why do it?" T'is hard to explain other than cause.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:18 AM
Ehh.. wont look too bad on a blue car LOL..

Old 03-23-2010, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
Am I the only one that likes the new look? I think its a visually bold and distinctive choice.
This plate was on our cars some 30 years ago, it seems. If you like vintage, you like this plate.

My heart is firmly in tact Gary. I thought it was interesting, that's all. However, I AM pissed that I must fork over more money for all this. But I'm good for two years too. It'll bump up the cost pretty good though, when the time comes.

Dan

Quick Reply: New NYS plate- not happy!