2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Don't You Hate...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 12:56 AM
5 Year Member
Don't You Hate...?

When you drive past another Fit and give them the 'Fit Wave' and they just stare at you like you are retarded? It seems there are some people who have no love or appreciation for their car.

I could see if we were driving a Civic, I mean your arm would fall off if you waved at every Civic, but I see 4-6 GE Fits a week and maybe 3-5 GDs and only half of them give me a reaction that says "I see you drive the same car as me" or "I see that you have recognized that I have an awesome ride" the other half of them give me a look that says "Please don't rape me before I leave this stop light" or "Who the %^$# are you and what do you want?"

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 03-21-2010 at 03:05 AM.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:37 AM
5 Year Member
yess i do hate that, they look at u like wtf do u want lol. but i did see a lady the other day with a black ge and she was looking at my fit and i gave her a thumbs and she gave me 1 back with a big friendly smile so that felt pretty cool

Old 03-21-2010, 05:13 AM
5 Year Member
You just have to keep waving until you get a nice one

Old 03-21-2010, 06:16 AM
5 Year Member
It happens all of the time, its very rare that another Fit owner/driver would wave around here. I guess the majority of people aren't really aware or concerned about car culture these days.

The last two cases I can clearly recall was back in October when 4 or 5 people in a TW GD Sport all waved and an older lady in a VBP Sport waved after I rolled the window down and did a goofy grin while waving at her.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:36 AM
I always seem to see old Asian people driving them and they give me the "what are you looking at white boy" look lol but I have exchanged waves with many a fellow fit-ers

Old 03-21-2010, 09:18 AM
5 Year Member
I've noticed that too. I just think people are not paying attention to what you're driving or can't recognize cars. I've discussed this with friends and there seems to be 2 kinds of people, ones that can name cars and those who can't. Pick any car at random and ask them "what type of car is that?" and they'll say "red".

Last edited by Virtual; 03-21-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:51 AM
5 Year Member
You do know as car/Fit enthusiasts, we are a minuscule percentage of the actual market for these cars, right? Stands to reason then that most owners will give you a WTF? look.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:58 PM
5 Year Member
Just what is the "Fit wave", anyway? is it something special, like a "secret handshake", or will any old wave do?

As an aside, as a longtime (30+ years) motorcyclist, I sometimes forget I'm in the Fit, and wave at motorcyclists I meet. You talk about a "WTF" look!

Old 03-21-2010, 01:34 PM
June 2007 3rd Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
I used to get the wave a lot when I bought my Fit in 2006. Now I only get that from modified Fits. Where's the love "stock Fits?"

Old 03-21-2010, 02:22 PM
You have to remember the demographic of Fit buyers. A lot of them are just people who bought cars they could afford or suit their needs. It's not like the Nissan Z-Car Flash or the Corvette Wave. Those cars were marketed to and mostly bought by enthusiasts. A lot of Fit owners are just run of the mill "I need a car to get me to work/college/my friends' houses" people.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:24 PM
5 Year Member
43 years ago I bought an Austin Healey 3000 and it was common for any and all British roadster owners to wave as it was also common for all motorcyclist to wave..... A great deal of the people that own Fits are no enthusiast and just bought them because they are cute little cars that get good fuel mileage..... I feel bad for them, they are missing out on so much and don't even know it..... They are the ones that don't realize that they own cars that run much better on premium fuel and believe that when the owners manual says to not use fuel with an octane rating lower than 87, they should only use 87 octane fuel.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
43 years ago I bought an Austin Healey 3000 and it was common for any and all British roadster owners to wave as it was also common for all motorcyclist to wave..... A great deal of the people that own Fits are no enthusiast and just bought them because they are cute little cars that get good fuel mileage..... I feel bad for them, they are missing out on so much and don't even know it..... They are the ones that don't realize that they own cars that run much better on premium fuel and believe that when the owners manual says to not use fuel with an octane rating lower than 87, they should only use 87 octane fuel.
Will the computer actually advance the timing in response to the 93? Does the car lean out with higher octane? If it doesn't and the car isn't knocking at 87, then sorry, but there is no gain.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
Just what is the "Fit wave", anyway? is it something special, like a "secret handshake", or will any old wave do?

As an aside, as a longtime (30+ years) motorcyclist, I sometimes forget I'm in the Fit, and wave at motorcyclists I meet. You talk about a "WTF" look!
haha, The 'fit wave' is just any old wave but this leads me to think we need to have a 'fit freak wave'. It would be something that could be mistaken for a normal wave by a muggle but a felow fitfreak member would recognize right a way.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by ls2junkie
Will the computer actually advance the timing in response to the 93? Does the car lean out with higher octane? If it doesn't and the car isn't knocking at 87, then sorry, but there is no gain.
See what I mean? Why don't you purchase an air fuel ratio gauge and a Scangauge and see for yourself.... It isn't going to ping on 87 but colder intake temperatures, colder plugs and premium fuel will all allow the ECU to program more advance.... I even use octane booster during the warmer months but that is because of the added 5 PSI boost which will be doubled in the future when I am able to afford it.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
Since I've gotten my FIT, I've only waved at one, it was another BSP Sport - I turned left in front of them at a light, and my other half and I both waved, and the passenger waved back all excited, while the driver looked at us like we were crazy!

I do understand the wave - I just came from a 2009 MINI Cooper, and they ALL waved! It's a MINI thing, like it's a Jeep thing, like it's a motorcycle thing. I just think the FIT might not be "unique" enough to get more owners waving at other ones on the road....

Old 03-21-2010, 10:26 PM
Wanted to wave at a few GE's,but I get more looks from drivers of GD's than anything. Though I had some kid in a lowered MKV GTI give me a thumbs up on the highway. Funny.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:28 PM
Interesting. As a Jeep owner, we also wave to others in similar vehicles. I knew nothing of this tradition within the FIT community. I will now resume waving in my wee little car :-).

Old 03-21-2010, 11:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
See what I mean? Why don't you purchase an air fuel ratio gauge and a Scangauge and see for yourself.... It isn't going to ping on 87 but colder intake temperatures, colder plugs and premium fuel will all allow the ECU to program more advance.... I even use octane booster during the warmer months but that is because of the added 5 PSI boost which will be doubled in the future when I am able to afford it.
TC, you are wrong, just admit it already. Taste my sarcasm?!?! Most Hondas that need at a minimum regular perform better with a higher octane. Has been this way for many years actually. I mean how could the ECU know what the car is being fed and alter its programming to accomodate such?

Old 03-21-2010, 11:39 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry, the people in my country don't really do waving...unless we see somebody else we know on the road.

God knows how many times people have misconstrued my innocent "thumbs-up" sign of appreciation for their cars...usually they take it as an invitation to race.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:40 AM
5 Year Member
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
TC, you are wrong, just admit it already. Taste my sarcasm?!?! Most Hondas that need at a minimum regular perform better with a higher octane. Has been this way for many years actually. I mean how could the ECU know what the car is being fed and alter its programming to accomodate such?
O2 sensor and detonation sensor..... It is technology that has been in use for at least the last 16 years.... There have been numerous people that have utilized the Scangauge and driven the same roads under exact conditions at the same speeds using high and then low octane and have recorded more timing advance and noticed an increase on hills with the higher octane fuel....Eldaino used a computer program to dispel that premium fuel had any influence on the timing and found that it did and DOHCtor recorded the same thing a few months before.... There are other threads that have found the same to be true and one of the guys made his living as a tuner and had been to numerous Honda training schools..... FitFlowjoe can tell you of the difference in power from my car after I added octane booster to the fuel..... I don't do sarcasm... I associate that kind of behavior with catty women.

Quick Reply: Don't You Hate...?