2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

So where is Honda's "sporty"car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
Can I be the little girl? She looks like she's going to win.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
Also, you have magical habit of quoting posts I've deleted. :: pats on back ::..

Old 03-21-2010, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by secondspassed
Can I be the little girl? She looks like she's going to win.
Only if I get to chain you up in my garage when we're done here.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ls2junkie
Only if I get to chain you up in my garage when we're done here.
Oh, Snap!!!! Bold troll finish for the win!

Old 03-21-2010, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
All of cars that the new guy is comparing to the affordable little Fit are considered crappy by some sheik in the middle east that can afford an even more expensive car or cars that he is talking about..... Some people are into name dropping, expensive labels and upkeep and others are into spirited driving in a functional affordable car.....I am happy that I enjoy what I have even if the country club set has to have what they assume everyone else is going to place them on a pedestal for owning..... Superficiality is still alive and well amongst the upper crust and the wannabes, and the bottom feeders still prefer the practicality of a little station wagon with decent after market support, simplicity, great handling and performance..... Just because there are more expensive cars with larger more powerful engines damned sure in no way take away from the joy I experience when sailing into a 45 MPH curve at 95 and exiting at 105, loading up at Sam's Club with groceries or a 50 gallon water heater from Lowes..... Some people are just too superficial to appreciate anything except what they can't have or what they can have and only want to tell others that they have money to spend.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
All of cars that the new guy is comparing to the affordable little Fit are considered crappy by some sheik in the middle east that can afford an even more expensive car or cars that he is talking about..... Some people are into name dropping, expensive labels and upkeep and others are into spirited driving in a functional affordable car.....I am happy that I enjoy what I have even if the country club set has to have what they assume everyone else is going to place them on a pedestal for owning..... Superficiality is still alive and well amongst the upper crust and the wannabes, and the bottom feeders still prefer the practicality of a little station wagon with decent after market support, simplicity, great handling and performance..... Just because there are more expensive cars with larger more powerful engines damned sure in no way take away from the joy I experience when sailing into a 45 MPH curve at 95 and exiting at 105, loading up at Sam's Club with groceries or a 50 gallon water heater from Lowes..... Some people are just too superficial to appreciate anything except what they can't have or what they can have and only want to tell others that they have money to spend.

Napoleon complex is Napoleonic.

I post one picture of a Corvette and everyone automatically assumes that I'm comparing a Fit to that. Which then turns into "oh he's just a douche that just buys nice cars to be seen in." Didja miss the "you can has LS1 F-body for less than 10k" bit. Because, y'know, having a $9,000 car is real snobby. Your car cost twice that. ZOMG SNOB!!!!!!111!!!!!eleven! How about the Cavalier in my sig? I bought the most plain looking muscle car possible because I really want to draw attention to myself.

I submit to you to 1989 Mustang LX Notchback. Snobbery at its finest.

Fits right in with the M3s and Continental Flying Spurs in the Sheik's warehouse. Still sportier than a Fit Sport. People love name dropping "fox body Mustang" at the country club. It flows so smoothly into "and then I picked up a Birkin Bag for the wife and fired my hedge fund manager." And you can have this one for the low low price of $5000, plus tax, title, and licensing.

Seriously dude, when did I say the Fit was a crappy car? When did I say you had to have a flashy sports car to have more performance? I said it wasn't a sporty car, that it was outclassed in every manner (except fuel economy and carrying tall items) by a Toyota Camry, and, in the grand scheme of things, there hasn't been a single person able to prove me wrong.

Last edited by ls2junkie; 03-21-2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:20 PM
5 Year Member
ls2junkie

You really want to nitpick then, eh? Alright then, let's go!

You finally seem to have gotten one thing right. For it's CLASS the Fit is a hell of a lot sportier than it's direct competition(again, relative and qualified LIKE I STATED!) You're trying to compare it to a Cobalt SS?!?

Second(here come the nit pick) a Mustang and Camaro hardly qualify as sports cars. Oh yeah they're sporty, but they're more muscle cars than a sports car, even in their sportiest configurations. But again, feel free to call them sports cars!

A e46 330i is a sport coupe/sedan.

Lets' not forget the classic definition of a sports car accepted by most car enthusiasts is a 2 seat, front engine, real wheel drive car with a propensity for excellent cornering/handling. From there of course we start to deviate in variations of sportiness. Of which the Fit is sporty for it's class.

As far as being outclassed by a Camry(which again, not in the Fit's class to begin with), I find that hilarious. Really? You think that bland sedan drives better handling wise than a Fit? Well then again you seem to think muscle cars are sport cars so oh well.

And no one claimed you said the Fit was a crappy car, its' your apparent dislike of us considering it sporty that's drawn fire to you. Get over it or continue trolling. This is fun!

Old 03-21-2010, 05:40 PM
Seriously dude, when did I say the Fit was a crappy car? When did I say you had to have a flashy sports car to have more performance? I said it wasn't a sporty car, that it was outclassed in every manner (except fuel economy and carrying tall items) by a Toyota Camry, and, in the grand scheme of things, there hasn't been a single person able to prove me wrong.
I used to drive an 89 Mazda 323, then when it died I bought a 92 Sentra...by the time the Sentra died I no longer needed an efficient commuter and needed an automatic (so the wife could drive it) with more room to haul the kids and groceries. So I sacrificed my fun-to-drive ideals by picking up an 02 Camry LE 2.4L auto. We drove that car for over 30k miles until we finally got the wife a van and were able to trade in the Camry for a 2010 Fit Sport 5MT last week. So here comes the 'prove me wrong' part you were talking about:

Fun to drive:
With it's zippy, high-revving motor and near go-cart handling, the Fit takes this one in a landslide.

Handling:
With a curb weight over 500 pounds heavier that the Fit, a longer wheelbase, and long overhangs, the Camry is an absolute dog in the corners (the word 'boat' comes to mind...). Fit takes this one in a landslide as well.

Off the line:
If you could get the Camry in a manual transmission (good luck finding one...) it would probably be faster off the line. Technically it's weight-to-power ratio is lower than the Fit, but the motor takes noticeably longer to rev up. The Camry also has an optional V6 (for significantly more $$). Slight advantage to the Camry here.

Any other 'sportiness' comparisons you'd like to see that are based on real-world experience?

The bottom line is that the Fit is not technically a sports car, but you'd be hard-pressed to find something as economical AND fun to drive as the Fit for under $20k. I'm pretty sure if anyone here had the ~25k that a new Camry costs and wasn't too particular about fuel economy, they'd be looking for a Civic Si or a WRX, neither of which is even close to the same class as the Fit. For around 16 grand brand new, the Fit is a helluva sports car in my book

Also, bringing up what you could get a used vehicle for is really not relevant here. Used vehicle quality and price can vary significantly, and some people just prefer to buy new to make sure they're getting exactly what they want.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
The Fit is a station wagon...... I took my station wagon for a little drive today at illicit speeds on some farm roads that wind through hilly heavily wooded terrain in sleet and snow and loved it..... Regardless of what you want to call it, it is a blast to drive.... Decent wheels, tires, springs supercharger and exhaust spices it up enough that you don't care that it has 5 doors and is classified by the state as a station wagon.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by moniz
ls2junkie

You really want to nitpick then, eh? Alright then, let's go!

You finally seem to have gotten one thing right. For it's CLASS the Fit is a hell of a lot sportier than it's direct competition(again, relative and qualified LIKE I STATED!) You're trying to compare it to a Cobalt SS?!?

Second(here come the nit pick) a Mustang and Camaro hardly qualify as sports cars. Oh yeah they're sporty, but they're more muscle cars than a sports car, even in their sportiest configurations. But again, feel free to call them sports cars!

A e46 330i is a sport coupe/sedan.

Lets' not forget the classic definition of a sports car accepted by most car enthusiasts is a 2 seat, front engine, real wheel drive car with a propensity for excellent cornering/handling. From there of course we start to deviate in variations of sportiness. Of which the Fit is sporty for it's class.

As far as being outclassed by a Camry(which again, not in the Fit's class to begin with), I find that hilarious. Really? You think that bland sedan drives better handling wise than a Fit? Well then again you seem to think muscle cars are sport cars so oh well.

And no one claimed you said the Fit was a crappy car, its' your apparent dislike of us considering it sporty that's drawn fire to you. Get over it or continue trolling. This is fun!

Again, you're seeing cars and going "ZOMG I'VE GOT HIM NAO1!!11!"

Never did I call a stick axle mulletmobile a "sports" car. I called them cars that are a metric shit ton more sporty than the Fit. Tell me I'm wrong. Please.

Octrain, compare an 09 Camry SE to an 09 Fit Sport and get back to me. I've never driven a non -SE Camry, so I wouldn't know about your experience.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:28 PM
Octrain, compare an 09 Camry SE to an 09 Fit Sport and get back to me. I've never driven a non -SE Camry, so I wouldn't know about your experience.
An 09 Camry SE 2.4L weighs 199lbs more than the 02 and only boasts 1 more HP (and 1 less lb-ft of torque). Unless you're talking about the V6 Camry, the very slight gain in off-the-line potential still doesn't make up for the handling and fun-to-drive advantages of the Fit, even if you get the SE with the 'sport suspension.' 765lbs is a pretty big margin to overcome.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
Again, you're seeing cars and going "ZOMG I'VE GOT HIM NAO1!!11!"

Never did I call a stick axle mulletmobile a "sports" car. I called them cars that are a metric shit ton more sporty than the Fit. Tell me I'm wrong. Please.
How about you tell me where anywhere here we've claimed the Fit is on par with cars that are "a metric shit ton more sporty than the Fit"?

For it's class, yes. If you want a car that is roomy, gets amazing mileage and sporty to drive, this where we claim the Fit is a great all around car, based on those criteria. No one here is claiming on a straight performance measurement, the Fit compares with the cars you mention as " a metric shit ton sportier" than the Fit. No shit they're sportier, but you might be giving up cargo/people carrying capability, or gas mileage to that "metric shit ton" more sportiness you crave. Fantastic! Great! Enjoy! But none of this diminishes the Fit's sportiness for it's class.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
I'm curious as to why you made a username and are actively spending time here on FitFreak.net, a website for Fit and Jazz owners, to downplay the Fit. Comparisions to cars aside, erm, why?

Old 03-21-2010, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
Besides, the 2008 Honda Fit can out-lane change any car including a Ferrari F430 Spider. That's a pretty cool factoid for a car that can be had for under 18,000.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:46 PM
Seems like this thread has degenerated to a name-calling contest. My original point was that Honda and Toyota have both gone to dull people movers, leaving no real 'sporty car' in their line-ups. Any car can be made fast with enough money thrown at it. That, in my opinion, does not make it a sporty car, as sold by the manufacturer. Only Nissan, IMO, still makes a good one, the 370Z, but to me it just isn't what I like. Stying is part of "SPORTY" and the Subaru styling turns me off, as do the Mitsu's. Just my preference, however.

( I rented a new Camry to go to Disneyland this weekend, and what a poorly designed excuse for a car.) No way is that sporty, even with the V6 it had. Uncomfortable, un-maneuverable, and no creature comforts to speak of. The Accord beats it hands down. And the Accord is just a people barge now.

It seems that the Honda and Toyota people have simply written off those who like to get a kick out of their cars. Too bad, because I have owned Hondas for 21 years, and my Fit will be the last unless they get with the program again. I want fun in my driving.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by citabria7
Seems like this thread has degenerated to a name-calling contest. My original point was that Honda and Toyota have both gone to dull people movers, leaving no real 'sporty car' in their line-ups. Any car can be made fast with enough money thrown at it. That, in my opinion, does not make it a sporty car, as sold by the manufacturer. Only Nissan, IMO, still makes a good one, the 370Z, but to me it just isn't what I like. Stying is part of "SPORTY" and the Subaru styling turns me off, as do the Mitsu's. Just my preference, however.

( I rented a new Camry to go to Disneyland this weekend, and what a poorly designed excuse for a car.) No way is that sporty, even with the V6 it had. Uncomfortable, un-maneuverable, and no creature comforts to speak of. The Accord beats it hands down. And the Accord is just a people barge now.

It seems that the Honda and Toyota people have simply written off those who like to get a kick out of their cars. Too bad, because I have owned Hondas for 21 years, and my Fit will be the last unless they get with the program again. I want fun in my driving.

They have sporty cars, at least in the majority of this forums opinion. You can feel free to disagree, as you have, and that's cool, but you've gotten our opinion. End of thread then?(just kidding!)

What you're taking about, especially with your 370Z reference is a "sports car" and yeah, they're lacking, I would agree. The new CR-Z maybe sporty, but it will be no sports car per se, I think we can safely agree there.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:28 PM
moniz...The CR-Z could have filled the bill with me, and still could if they put some power in it. But, alas, they have made it a neat looking "Al Gore" mobile. (meaning underpowered and SLOW) No need, since global warming was a con anyway. (Oops..should not have said that, 'cause the green weenies are going to go bananas over it. Maybe green bananas?)

Old 03-21-2010, 10:45 PM
Word is that Honda is discontinuing manual transmissions in all Civics except for the Si, and it wouldn't be unreasonable to be suspicious of them pulling the same move with the Fit.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:50 PM
They have one of the finest M/T's anywhere. If they do, then I will, unfortunately, have bought my last Honda. With a 400 hp V-8, a slushbox is OK, but with the puny 4 banger, you need an M/T to have any fun at all.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:33 PM
They have one of the finest M/T's anywhere. If they do, then I will, unfortunately, have bought my last Honda. With a 400 hp V-8, a slushbox is OK, but with the puny 4 banger, you need an M/T to have any fun at all.
Amen to that =D

Quick Reply: So where is Honda's "sporty"car?