2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

So where is Honda's "sporty"car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 10:47 AM
i love college
Originally Posted by Ciggy
If Honda offered the S2000 with a super charger out of the box it would have sold better. They didn't need to get rid of it. Chevy has the turboed Cobalt and soon to be turboed Aveo. Dodge had the turnoed Neon and many other company's have cars that come with stock turbo's. If Honda slapped a nice turbo kit on the civic Si it would move. I don't know why they stay away from it.
because honda is known for having cars that easily last 250-300k+ miles. having a stock turbo would make that a hell of a lot harder to accomplish and ruin that rep.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by keepitpg
because honda is known for having cars that easily last 250-300k+ miles. having a stock turbo would make that a hell of a lot harder to accomplish and ruin that rep.

This had never even crossed my mind.

But everyday I get in my friends neon srt-4 I cant help but wish honda offered the civic si with a turbo. I also cant wait to slap one into the fit. It's really amazing what power his neon has.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by Type 100
BTW first-drive impressions of the CR-Z are pretty encouraging - seems to be more about driving enjoyment than just power power power.
FYI:
"According to Automotive News, back when the CR-Z was being designed to house a traditional gasoline-only drivetrain, Tomobe said he and his team dug deep to come up with a new idea for the car, which ended up being a hybrid drivetrain and a six-speed transmission. But that wasn't until after they had tried to kill the project. Twice. And that didn't stop the president of American Honda Motor from repeatedly telling Japan the U.S. didn't need or want a sporty hybrid, which he thought would confuse customers. Until he drove it, and then all was go."

Report: Honda CR-Z was almost killed twice, U.S. dealers didn't want it — Autoblog Green

Also . . .

"Dealers in Japan have turned in 2,500 orders for the 2011 CR-Z since sales began Feb. 26 - more than twice the company's stated sales goal of 1,000 a monht.

Additionally, Honda had received 4,500 advance orders for the gas-electric hybrid, bringing total orders less than two weeks after sales launched to 7,000 - or almost 60 percent of the total annual target."

"CR-Z Sales Running Well Ahead of Expectations in Japan" Green Car Advisor

Old 03-19-2010, 11:47 AM
i love college
Originally Posted by Ciggy
This had never even crossed my mind.

But everyday I get in my friends neon srt-4 I cant help but wish honda offered the civic si with a turbo. I also cant wait to slap one into the fit. It's really amazing what power his neon has.
i wish they would offer a k20 turbo fit, awd with a sport tuned suspension. (mini sti) but honda will never do such a thing.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by mtunofun
The S2000 is probably the best affordable Hondas to come around in some time (what other car that's affordable and not italian has a 9000 RPM redline?). Sadly the general public doesn't like cars that dont come with automatics. The S2000 was a Honda engineer's orgasmic fantasy come true and that's what made it appealing to enthusiasts. I'd rather it stay dead than come back alive in the form of a soft roader hard top with a slush box that's perfect for the Beverley Hills milf wannabe, that's what the Camry Solara is for.
Great comment!

I joined this forum just to say that.

I'm currently gathering information for a potential Fit purchase and this comment struck my heart strings (Being a S2000 owner myself ... same username on s2ki.com)

Talk to you guys later

Old 03-19-2010, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by keepitpg
i wish they would offer a k20 turbo fit, awd with a sport tuned suspension. (mini sti) but honda will never do such a thing.
damn that would be a $30k+ subcompact.

also on the s2000, the s2000 is a hardcore enthusiast club racer/mountain pass car. the ap1 was too hardcore for most drivers and honda had to set the suspension back notch in the ap2.

the s2000 is not for your mama or for the wanna be cool guy. the car's inception was for pure sport driving to the max. i doubt any other open top car has the structural rigidity of the s2000 nor any other car in its class OR not to have 4 wheel double wishbone suspension. the car as a whole is super go cart legal for the streets. it revs to 9k and the car has the ability to out handle a nsx.

it sucks the s2k is gone but, you have to understand not all consumers are as hardcore as the s2000.

Last edited by JJIN; 03-19-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:31 AM
There is a lot of wrong in this thread.

Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I have added $4400.00 in performance modifications to my GD that I will have owned 4 years tn July and I think of it as a sports car..... I have had 3 liter 2 seaters that wouldn't stand a chance against it on a lot of the more challenging roads I drive on..... That was a long time ago though.
A Honda Fit is not a Sports Car. It is not a sporty car. A front wheel drive 5-door sedan with a stick axle and less than 180hp is never going to be "sporty." If it does everything you want it to, so be it. But you cannot call it a sports car if you've driven a sports car manufactured in the last 15 years. Hop in a beat up e46 coupe or M, or, better yet, a $12k LS1 Fbody and tell me how sporty they are.

Originally Posted by dgs
Honda currently sells three cars that could be considered "sporty:"

1. The Fit.
2. Civic Si.
3. Accord coupe with the 6-speed manual transmission.

Dropping the S2000 was dumb, as all it really needed was an update to make it relevant again. I bet if they added a slick retractable folding hardtop like is on the new Miata sales would have picked right back up. Same thing with the Prelude, there was no need to discontinue that car, all it needed were updates.
Remove the Fit. It is not sporty. My mother's IS250AWD will outdrag, outhandle, and outbrake a Fit. So will a Toyota Camry.

Originally Posted by mtunofun
theyre a hell of a lot better than a corolla, camry, yaris, or lexus ES (the IS is better than the tsx because of RWD, but the ES is still a boat compared to tl). And three of those cars won't try to murder you. I do get where you're coming from though. On the hierarchy of mainstream sporty manufacturers, I consider Honda/Acura to be in the lower middle, but still above of toyota/lexus (not counting LFA or ISF).
The IS350 will run 13.3 in the 1/4 out of the box, handles great, and has massive calipers. The only "boats" left in Lexus' lineup are the ES350 and the HS250 (SUVs aside). Lexus has actually made cars that drive competently with the IS350, the GS350/460, and the LS460 Sport. These will decimate anything from Honda. Acura, as well, has stepped up its game, offering the TL in AWD.

You cannot loop Toyota and Lexus products the same way you cannot loop Honda and Acura products. Toyota and Honda do not make well balanced cars. They make cars designed to get people from point A to point B in comfort engineered to a price.

You want a Hierarchy of Japanese "sportiness?" You don't get to ignore models they currently sell then.

Nissan - 370Z is the only accessible Japanese sports car available (2seat, rwd, has torque) GTR

Infiniti - Their entire lineup is either RWD or AWD, they offer a convertible, designed to compete with BMW, who doesn't understand how to not make a sporty car

Lexus - Arguments above and IS-F and LF-A

Subaru - WRX and STI stand on their own merit and carry the brand (well, them, and the lesbians who buy Outbacks)

Mitsubishi - Evo, and at a stretch, Eclipse (slow bloated pig with some shiny bits to impress high schoolers)

Mazda - Miata is the standard for small, 2 seat, "British" roadsters. RX8 hasn't been relevant since EVERYONE realized that having to spin to 8k just to make 187lbs/ft of torque cannot be glossed over by amazing handling (and it does, indeed, handle amazingly). Mazdaspeed 3. FWD and limiting torque in the first two gears because people don't understand torque steer are black marks against it, although it's quite a nice car for a sporty commuter.

Acura - The TL and RL have the SH-AWD and the TSX handles nice, although, at the limit, FWD plow is FWD plow.

Honda - The Civic SI and Accord Coupe are both nice to drive fast, but not too fast, because again, there's no such thing as a FWD sports car.

Scion - Barely saved by the TC. Barely.

Toyota - Makes absolutely nothing that is compelling to drive. Oh look at us. We shoved a big motor in the Camry and tacked on a body kit to make it look lower. We still can't figure out how to line up the "Camry" badge on the trunk though.

Originally Posted by moniz
I don't really think the styling was ever the issue. The car was designed specifically with a design that would age well. Yes, while 10 years is a long time, I think it still holds up well. The real thing with the S2000 is that it was always a very narrow niche car. I'd bet sales were steady for 10 years, and they have just wrung out as much as they could with the niche it served.

I mean look at the Miata, while never a direct competitor to the S2000, it started off as a very niche car, and very exceptional at would it was aimed at, which was a great handling car. Sure not really fast, but fast enough in the turns to make their niche very happy. It's when they started softening it trying to broaden the appeal, that the current MX-5 is so far from it's original intent that it suffers for it. Sure it's updated, and sells more to a broader market,but it's true hardcore fans still cling to the original lightweight toss-able Miata.

I'm sure it he solstice is "faster" than the Miata, but speed isn't everything. The Miata(original) still eats the solstices' lunch in the corners. Myself, I prefer cars that handles the twisties very well, over cars that are just "fast", hence my love of Hondas.
Actually, the Miata will not destroy the Solstice in the corners. They'll be fairly evenly paced, but the Miata will feel better.

Originally Posted by citabria7
My idea of sporty does not need to be a 2 seater, necessarily. My '01 Mustang GT ragtop certainly was not, and I enjoyed the hell out of it, until the tranny went south. (and I was not hard on it) The Celica, while not necessarily fast, was still fun to drive and had (usually) good styling. It is gone. The Supra is gone. The MR2 is gone. The Prelude is gone, and the S2K also. When Chrysler finally dies, the Challenger will be gone, and all we will be left with is a Mustang and Camaro. Not much choice. We used to always have some fun cars from Toyota and Honda, but it seems they have gone to dull boxes now. I will always need a fun car, and when my Solstices die, and they will, I guess I will have to go Ford or GM again. Fun, but nowhere near the quality of a Honda. It's too bad Honda went this route.
You can have a G37, a 370Z, an Evo, a WRX or an STI, any number of German cars.......there are plenty of imports that are GREAT to drive.

For the money you spend on a 2SS/RS Camaro (the only way to option one out), you can have the 370Z, the Evo, the STI, a 135, or, if you're me, save another 10k and buy a used 08 Z06.

I'm going to let someone else eat the depreciation on my Z06 when it comes time to buy.

Name:  DSC00067.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  84.8 KB

I can has that for $48k with 8000 miles? Yes plz.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ls2junkie
There is a lot of wrong in this thread.

A Honda Fit is not a Sports Car. It is not a sporty car. A front wheel drive 5-door sedan with a stick axle and less than 180hp is never going to be "sporty." If it does everything you want it to, so be it. But you cannot call it a sports car if you've driven a sports car manufactured in the last 15 years. Hop in a beat up e46 coupe or M, or, better yet, a $12k LS1 Fbody and tell me how sporty they are.

Remove the Fit. It is not sporty. My mother's IS250AWD will outdrag, outhandle, and outbrake a Fit. So will a Toyota Camry.

The IS350 will run 13.3 in the 1/4 out of the box, handles great, and has massive calipers. The only "boats" left in Lexus' lineup are the ES350 and the HS250 (SUVs aside). Lexus has actually made cars that drive competently with the IS350, the GS350/460, and the LS460 Sport. These will decimate anything from Honda. Acura, as well, has stepped up its game, offering the TL in AWD.

You cannot loop Toyota and Lexus products the same way you cannot loop Honda and Acura products. Toyota and Honda do not make well balanced cars. They make cars designed to get people from point A to point B in comfort engineered to a price.

You want a Hierarchy of Japanese "sportiness?" You don't get to ignore models they currently sell then.

Nissan - 370Z is the only accessible Japanese sports car available (2seat, rwd, has torque) GTR

Infiniti - Their entire lineup is either RWD or AWD, they offer a convertible, designed to compete with BMW, who doesn't understand how to not make a sporty car

Lexus - Arguments above and IS-F and LF-A

Subaru - WRX and STI stand on their own merit and carry the brand (well, them, and the lesbians who buy Outbacks)

Mitsubishi - Evo, and at a stretch, Eclipse (slow bloated pig with some shiny bits to impress high schoolers)

Mazda - Miata is the standard for small, 2 seat, "British" roadsters. RX8 hasn't been relevant since EVERYONE realized that having to spin to 8k just to make 187lbs/ft of torque cannot be glossed over by amazing handling (and it does, indeed, handle amazingly). Mazdaspeed 3. FWD and limiting torque in the first two gears because people don't understand torque steer are black marks against it, although it's quite a nice car for a sporty commuter.

Acura - The TL and RL have the SH-AWD and the TSX handles nice, although, at the limit, FWD plow is FWD plow.

Honda - The Civic SI and Accord Coupe are both nice to drive fast, but not too fast, because again, there's no such thing as a FWD sports car.

Scion - Barely saved by the TC. Barely.

Toyota - Makes absolutely nothing that is compelling to drive. Oh look at us. We shoved a big motor in the Camry and tacked on a body kit to make it look lower. We still can't figure out how to line up the "Camry" badge on the trunk though.

Actually, the Miata will not destroy the Solstice in the corners. They'll be fairly evenly paced, but the Miata will feel better.

You can have a G37, a 370Z, an Evo, a WRX or an STI, any number of German cars.......there are plenty of imports that are GREAT to drive.

For the money you spend on a 2SS/RS Camaro (the only way to option one out), you can have the 370Z, the Evo, the STI, a 135, or, if you're me, save another 10k and buy a used 08 Z06.

I'm going to let someone else eat the depreciation on my Z06 when it comes time to buy.

I can has that for $48k with 8000 miles? Yes plz.

Funny, the only thing wrong I've found in this thread is YOU!

Dude, chill. You want to drive only "true sports" cars, knock yourself out. The rest of us can live with compromise and still car our cars sporty, and enjoy them for what they are.

And by the way sporty is obviously relative. Is a Fit or Civic sporty compared to a Vette or a 370Z? No shit it's not! Compared to Yaris, Aveo, Corolla or a Cobalt? Yeah, by a mile!

You want to get bent out of shape because we call some of these cars sporty, then by all means, give yourself a coronary getting stressed at our inappropriate use of the term sporty. The rest of us will just smile as we rev our little VTEC hearts out and zip through the corners at reasonable, but smile inducing speeds.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:07 PM
Funny, the only thing wrong I've found in this thread is YOU!

Dude, chill. You want to drive only "true sports" cars, knock yourself out. The rest of us can live with compromise and still car our cars sporty, and enjoy them for what they are.

And by the way sporty is obviously relative. Is a Fit or Civic sporty compared to a Vette or a 370Z? No shit it's not! Compared to Yaris, Aveo, Corolla or a Cobalt? Yeah, by a mile!

You want to get bent out of shape because we call some of these cars sporty, then by all means, give yourself a coronary getting stressed at our inappropriate use of the term sporty. The rest of us will just smile as we rev our little VTEC hearts out and zip through the corners at reasonable, but smile inducing speeds.

This is not me bent out of shape. This is me trying to realign this concept of "sporty" with reality. I never said the Fit wasn't a good car. I just said it wasn't sporty. You can drive any car fast. I can take a 3 cyl. diesel Hyundai Accent and pitch it through corners at 50mph left foot trail braking so I don't lose any speed because it'll take me an hour to get back to 50, and it'll be a shit load of fun. Doesn't make it "sporty."

However, when you are driving a car that performs worse than a Toyota Camry, you cannot "relatively" call it sporty. The Toyota Camry is the epitome of "I have absolutely no passion for driving, or cars, or being on the road. I want something that will allow me to forget that I am driving and transport me from point A to point B in the least compelling way possible."

And ease up on the defensiveness. The OP was complaining about the death of the S2000, which, if memory serves, was NOT the most practical car. A bunch of people began calling Honda Fits sporty, which, by all counts, it is not. It is an entry level economy car, designed to navigate small Japanese and European city roads while being affordable, economical, and maximizing carrying capacity. If the OP was willing to shell out $35k for an S2000, then there are plenty of cars with that level of practicality (if not greater: STI and Evo) and performance in that range. Perhaps if you had figured out that each section was a response to the prior quote, your panties wouldn't have gotten bunched.

But seriously dude. Chill.

Last edited by ls2junkie; 03-21-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member
This is not me bent out of shape. This is me trying to realign this concept of "sporty" with reality. I never said the Fit wasn't a good car. I just said it wasn't sporty. You can drive any car fast. I can take a 3 cyl. diesel Hyundai Accent and pitch it through corners at 50mph left foot trail braking so I don't lose any speed because it'll take me an hour to get back to 50, and it'll be a shit load of fun. Doesn't make it "sporty."

However, when you are driving a car that performs worse than a Toyota Camry, you cannot "relatively" call it sporty. The Toyota Camry is the epitome of "I have absolutely no passion for driving, or cars, or being on the road. I want something that will allow me to forget that I am driving and transport me from point A to point B in the least compelling way possible."

And ease up on the defensiveness. The OP was complaining about the death of the S2000, which, if memory serves, was NOT the most practical car. A bunch of people began calling Honda Fits sporty, which, by all counts, it is not. It is an entry level economy car, designed to navigate small Japanese and European city roads while being affordable, economical, and maximizing carrying capacity. If the OP was willing to shell out $35k for an S2000, then there are plenty of cars with that level of practicality (if not greater: STI and Evo) and performance in that range. Perhaps if you had figured out that each section was a response to the prior quote, your panties wouldn't have gotten bunched.

I'm chilled. And the Fit is sporty to most us here. You and the OP are free to disagree to your hearts content.

Sporty, sport, sporty, sporty sporty...........

Old 03-21-2010, 01:14 PM
5 Year Member
You're acting like a big penis. Nobody cares but you, and your opinion is OBVIOUSLY SUBJECTIVE. Motherfucker thinks he knows something. HOW COOL.

Last edited by secondspassed; 03-21-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
And for the record I shouldn't try to rep when I'm high - those tic tacs of yours are supposed to be red, ls2junkie.

If anyone wants to fix my mistake, feel free.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:23 PM
5 Year Member
A bunch of people began calling Honda Fits sporty, which, by all counts, it is not.

Oh, you mean car magazines, reviewers and the like?(Car & Driver Top Ten since it's debut for example.) Yeah, what do they know!

Again it's relative and qualified, but sporty none the less.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
Oh, you mean car magazines, reviewers and the like?(Car & Driver Top Ten since it's debut for example.) Yeah, what do they know!

Hm, I seem to remember the name "sport" being in the name of my car... that's weird.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by secondspassed
You're on a Honda Fit website. If you don't like people calling the Fit sporty because it offends your $50k+ cars, you really need to think about what the hell you're doing here. You've really got to prove to everyone here that because a true *sports* car can leave the Fit in the dust they're not allowed to call it "sporty"? You are obviously some sort of massive fail machine coming here flaming as a new member, especially over something so stupid. Do you like red tic tacs?
I'm here because there is now one in my driveway. God forbid I'm objective about the damn thing and realize it's not sporty, even compared to a goddamned Cobalt SS. Doesn't mean it's not a good car. But there is a shit ton of cognitive dissonance going on if you honestly believe a Fit is sporty. Go back and reread my posts. Where did I compare a fit to a 50k car? You can pick up an e46 330i sedan for 10k now, and an LS1 Camaro for 8. You consider a Honda Fit sporty and I'M the massive fail machine? Last I checked, I'm one of the few people that actually offered a reasonable response to the OP.

He was talking about looking at Camaros and Mustangs because the S2000 and the MR-S are no longer available. A 1SS Camaro is 33k and a new Mustang GT is 28k, and those are stripper cars. Throw some options on them and you're looking around 38-40k. Hell, the S2000 in its last year was pushing 35k. Hence the list of 35-40k SPORTS CARS I offered in comparison. But you were so busy being a vagina because I told a bunch of Fit owners that their cars aren't sporty compared to a freaking Camry that you completely glossed over the fact that I'm actually contributing to the thread at hand.

Oh noes, I haz teh positive reps! Are you one of those people who's e-balls grow with your rep points? Mine are HUGE now. Go roll another blunt.

Last edited by ls2junkie; 03-21-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:33 PM

Never said it wasn't sporty in class. In comparison to the Versa, the Yaris, the Aveo, the xB, and the Soul (did I miss any of the econoboxes?) it certainly is.

Compared to cars in general.....that's when things fall apart. You only have to look so far as the next class.

"Is my Honda Fit Sport more sporty than a 2.0 Nissan Sentra SR?"

Old 03-21-2010, 01:37 PM
Hm, I seem to remember the name "sport" being in the name of my car... that's weird.

O look guise, a sporty car!!

Old 03-21-2010, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
I fucking hate you. You had to bring a goddamned JEEP into this.

Last edited by secondspassed; 03-21-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:42 PM
Fuck it, I'm sticking to my guns. THAT'S A SPORTS CAR!!!!!!!
I haz been outtrolled.

U wnt 2 race 4 pinks?

Old 03-21-2010, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member

Quick Reply: So where is Honda's "sporty"car?