2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2010 Consumer Reports Auto Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member
Smile 2010 Consumer Reports Auto Issue

Out of 280+ vehicles rated this year, only two had the highest scores for reliability, satisfaction, and owner cost: Honda Fit and Toyota Prius.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:49 PM
Prius owners are on a mission from god, and they wouldn't complain about a Prius unless it actually caught on fire in the Holland Tunnel.

That's not saying the Prius is a bad car; it just has so much environmental/social foo-foo attached that you can't be very objective about it.

The Honda, on the other hand, is just plain amazing for everything it does well and the very little it does badly.

Anyway, Consumer Reports got it half right ; we can smile and take the attaboy for our cars.
Nice thing about the Fit is that more enthusiast-type carzines like it too.
I always look at Consumer Reports and Car&Driver before we buy a car, and take 'em both with a grain of salt.
Moon

Old 03-16-2010, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Selden
Out of 280+ vehicles rated this year, only two had the highest scores for reliability, satisfaction, and owner cost: Honda Fit and Toyota Prius.
Thanks for sharing. So awesome.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:53 PM
5 Year Member
All the more reason I'm glad when my dad offered to put down a payment on a new car the first thought that popped into my head was the Fit.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:20 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
FIT FTW

Old 03-17-2010, 04:59 AM
5 Year Member
The fit was on the cover of the 2009 edition

Old 03-17-2010, 07:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip
Nice thing about the Fit is that more enthusiast-type carzines like it too.
I always look at Consumer Reports and Car&Driver before we buy a car, and take 'em both with a grain of salt.
Skepticism is useful for all sources. Last week's story about Jim Sikes' runaway Prius seems to be dissolving as more evidence comes to light.

A recent issue of CR had a cover headline that said something like "Cadillac beats Mercedes." When I read the actual story, it said that while the Cadillac outscored the M-B in their testing, they couldn't recommend it because of spotty reliability. It's a great car, except that it falls apart.

"Cadillac CTS beats Mercedes-Benz in 'Consumer Reports' tests"

Old 03-17-2010, 07:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip
Prius owners are on a mission from god, and they wouldn't complain about a Prius unless it actually caught on fire in the Holland Tunnel.

That's not saying the Prius is a bad car; it just has so much environmental/social foo-foo attached that you can't be very objective about it.

Moon
I'm not a Prius basher, and when we were car-shopping last year, Prius was on our short list, but when we actually went to look at one, I couldn't wait for the test drive to end. I was completely turned off by the Buck Rogers interior styling, poor visibility, and the feeling of being totally disconnected from the road. The Prius has plenty of things going for it, but it's transportation, not a car for someone who actually enjoys driving.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Selden
I'm not a Prius basher, and when we were car-shopping last year, Prius was on our short list, but when we actually went to look at one, I couldn't wait for the test drive to end. I was completely turned off by the Buck Rogers interior styling, poor visibility, and the feeling of being totally disconnected from the road. The Prius has plenty of things going for it, but it's transportation, not a car for someone who actually enjoys driving.
I agree. I also looked at the Prius when I was car shopping last year. I liked the technology, but in the end, I wanted a "driver's" car, and the Prius is not that IMO. A year later, I still think I made the right choice (for me).

Old 03-17-2010, 11:57 AM
The last 2 cars I have bought have been a last minute decision, I had a 91 Accord as a DD and after crashing it my son suggested I get an S-2000 so I got a used 02 with 50K miles that had some mods, my wife had a 95 Accord since new and it got flooded so we went to the Honda dealer to look at the Civic Hybrid but after calculating how much we drive it would take over 10 years to break even on the difference in price from the Hybrid to a Fit so we got the Fit. I always buy Honda, there is no other brand for me.

Last edited by MIAMIFIT; 03-17-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:48 PM
While I'm sure there are some sporty Toys, everything we test hopped in our last car-shop (Venza and Avalon especially) were anything but; the Avalon especially was a codgermobile (If the Miata is an MG that doesn't leak oil, then the Avalon is a perfect '60s Buick).
We drove a number of Honda-family stuff (Accord, CR-V and Acura TSX/TL), and they all had the same crisp steering and responsive handling, in varying amounts.
Toys are, as Selden noted, made for people who don't really enjoy driving.
Moon

Old 03-17-2010, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
Those just happen to be the two cars that my wife and I own! Mine just happens to be the much better of those two as well.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by SheepNutz
Those just happen to be the two cars that my wife and I own! Mine just happens to be the much better of those two as well.
If I could manage another less-than-practical car, I'd have a Miata in the garage. They are sweethearts.
Moon