2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Where to put GPS unit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 02:58 PM
Where to put GPS unit?

Hi, got my new Fit last week. Because the window is so sloped, I find it difficult to attach my GPS to the windshield. Do you have any tricks for this?

Old 03-02-2010, 03:23 PM
I have a simple Tom Tom and I have it attached to the lower left side of the windshield. It's out of obvious view for everyone except for the driver. I also ran the wires inside the dash so those are not all over the dash.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member
Whenever i need to use my GPS i stick it to the little corner window right in between the driver side window and the windshield. i think its a good spot cuz it easily reachable.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Get a dash mount holder..you will never ever want to put it on your windshield again

BG

Old 03-02-2010, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
bottom left, no problem at all

meets the requirement of CA law and is within a 5inch box of my windshield on the drivers side

Old 03-02-2010, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
There are many types of mounts out there that fit in cup holders, air vents, etc. Lots of options. Just do a google search.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:38 PM
i like it in this position (that's what she said!)
it doesn't obstruct my view at all when i'm in my driving position and it's easy to make changes on the screen if the need arises (i know, i know...i try to refrain from doing so.) it's also conveniently right above the power source if you need to plug it in.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:32 AM
5 Year Member
Same here
Name:  100_6711.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  60.8 KB

Old 03-03-2010, 01:06 PM
I'm in the same spot as NPH and Black3sr. I use a Nav-Mat "Bean Bag Mount", which I love b/c I can hide it under the seat.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:19 PM
Question Where to mount this iphone mount?

Hey everyone,
I would love to get some advice and any great car mount device for iPhones to place in the Honda Fit late 2011 model.

1. Where I should mount my GPS device?
(I use my iPhone for GPS..)

This is what I have so far...but is there a better car mount device out there any one that could recommend that is more sturdy?

Thank you so much, much appreciated!

Old 10-11-2012, 07:35 PM
That's the same place I put mine, it's ok there but I think i'm going to get one of those cupholder mounts, there's so many cupholders I don't mind sacrificing one. The crappy mount I have bounces when I install it like you do. I have been using my phone but I resurrected my old Magellan which i'll have to mount differently, so i'm open to ideas too, i'll follow here. Not a fan of the bean bags or suction cups on dash even though it works well.

I used to have that ninja you have on the dash back in the day... he died in a wreck, R.I.P...

Old 10-11-2012, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
My Droid suction mount is in the same place as IceKing's. I have the power cable currently draped over the steering wheel until I get a longer MicroUSB cable where I can fish it behind the dash. Did the same with my garmin Nuvi. it is in a handy place and isn't readily visible from the outside like a center mount would be.

~SB

Old 10-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
That's the same place I put mine, it's ok there but I think i'm going to get one of those cupholder mounts, there's so many cupholders I don't mind sacrificing one. The crappy mount I have bounces when I install it like you do. I have been using my phone but I resurrected my old Magellan which i'll have to mount differently, so i'm open to ideas too, i'll follow here. Not a fan of the bean bags or suction cups on dash even though it works well.

I used to have that ninja you have on the dash back in the day... he died in a wreck, R.I.P...
I'm sorry about your ninja lol.
What color was he? or she?

Old 10-11-2012, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by specboy
My Droid suction mount is in the same place as IceKing's. I have the power cable currently draped over the steering wheel until I get a longer MicroUSB cable where I can fish it behind the dash. Did the same with my garmin Nuvi. it is in a handy place and isn't readily visible from the outside like a center mount would be.

~SB

You mentioned that you have teh same suction mount as mine and in the same place. My usb is so short in the glove compartment that came with the Fit. Do you know where can I find and purchase a longer usb cord for this? And, since it's going to be going underneathe the steering wheel. It's going to be long, how do you suggest or recommend what to use to keep it from being so messy if you know what I mean?

Old 10-11-2012, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by IceKing
I'm sorry about your ninja lol.
What color was he? or she?
Black, just like yours

Also curious about power wire cleanup, I may just do some sort of hardwire through the dash and make it so you can hide the plug...

Old 10-11-2012, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by IceKing
You mentioned that you have teh same suction mount as mine and in the same place. My usb is so short in the glove compartment that came with the Fit. Do you know where can I find and purchase a longer usb cord for this? And, since it's going to be going underneathe the steering wheel. It's going to be long, how do you suggest or recommend what to use to keep it from being so messy if you know what I mean?
My phone uses a Micro USB Cable and I'm hoping that I'll come across one without having to buy but if i get tired and decide to buy one, It'll probably be from monoprice. i'd probably pick up a 6' or if I decide to fish it around under the dash and up along the trim, a 10'. i'm only coming from the 12V Accessory though. My droid connects by Bluetooth for audio and phone and my iPod is plugged in to the glove compartment.

HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

they also have iPhone cables for those that need them.

~SB

Old 10-11-2012, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Black, just like yours

Also curious about power wire cleanup, I may just do some sort of hardwire through the dash and make it so you can hide the plug...
I'm sorry about your ninja.
Well yeah mine's, he's been a trooper for me, keeping me company.

What color is your fit? Do you have any pictures?

I'm about to try to post some through a coffee shop wifi lol. Slooow compare to my own home internet speed.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by specboy
My phone uses a Micro USB Cable and I'm hoping that I'll come across one without having to buy but if i get tired and decide to buy one, It'll probably be from monoprice. i'd probably pick up a 6' or if I decide to fish it around under the dash and up along the trim, a 10'. i'm only coming from the 12V Accessory though. My droid connects by Bluetooth for audio and phone and my iPod is plugged in to the glove compartment.

HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

they also have iPhone cables for those that need them.

~SB
Thanx for the site. I'll definitely do some USB Cord shopping tomorrow for mine. Going over the dashboard is a bit tacky haha.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:30 PM
5 Year Member
Old 10-12-2012, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member
My favorite place for my GPS is right over the Tach. I don't really pay much attention to it anyway. The standard suction cup that comes with all GPS units can be contorted to hold to the clear plastic cover fairly easily. This way it is in an easy to see spot and I can see everything out the windshield / side windows normally.

Quick Reply: Where to put GPS unit?