2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

More trouble now with *%^& windshield washers!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
More trouble now with *%^& windshield washers!!

Had some problems a while back when the damn fool windshield washer stuff the dealer had in my new 2010 Fit keep freezing up!! And I gotta say, I never saw or heard of anything like that in a new car before! -The dealer must've put in some kind of weak colored water, for chrissakes!

And now that the weather is warmer I've discovered that the w/s tank get's empty in about a day, even if I don't use any fluid! I suspect that what must've happened is that all the freezing must've either cracked the tank canister or else ruptured a washer fluid line somewhere!

Gotta take it back now, and damnit they had better cover this on warranty, or I'm gonna raise all kinds of hell!

Old 02-23-2010, 03:20 PM
Sorry to hear about your luck. You're probably correct in assuming that the weak sauce washer fluid cracked the tank when it froze and expanded. Especially if it was full when that happened. I would imagine this would be more likely than the hoses.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:46 PM
5 Year Member
def sounds like they topped you off with water, which then froze and cracked your tank.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by Chazzlee
Had some problems a while back when the damn fool windshield washer stuff the dealer had in my new 2010 Fit keep freezing up!! And I gotta say, I never saw or heard of anything like that in a new car before! -The dealer must've put in some kind of weak colored water, for chrissakes!

And now that the weather is warmer I've discovered that the w/s tank get's empty in about a day, even if I don't use any fluid! I suspect that what must've happened is that all the freezing must've either cracked the tank canister or else ruptured a washer fluid line somewhere!

Gotta take it back now, and damnit they had better cover this on warranty, or I'm gonna raise all kinds of hell!
DISCLAIMER: I WORK FOR A DEALER

If you have had all your services done at the dealer you have a reasonable expectation of a repair at no cost to you. If not your dealer can legitimately dispute responsibility as any facility or the owner can put liquid in the washer tank that does not have adequate protection from freezing. At any rate, if the issue was incorrect fluid put in the washer tank WARRANTY SHOULD NOT cover the repair. The dealer would be liable for the repair or the facility that put the incorrect fluid in would be liable but HONDA would NOT.

I don't mean to sound like an a-hole about this but I read things in this forum about what people think should and should not be covered. I am the first to repair anything warrantable under warranty but the expectation that Honda should cover improper use, abuse, physical damage, collision damage, road hazard, etc is incorrect. Also, you know who you are, but those out there responding to a tale of woe with "ur dealer should cover that, it's not ur fault ur abs lite is on" after your ebay coil-overs got put on at your buddies house need to give better advise.

Ok, enough, I feel bad yelling at you guys but I am a dad.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
O' boy here we go...........................

Old 02-24-2010, 12:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rhyneba
DISCLAIMER: I WORK FOR A DEALER

If you have had all your services done at the dealer you have a reasonable expectation of a repair at no cost to you. If not your dealer can legitimately dispute responsibility as any facility or the owner can put liquid in the washer tank that does not have adequate protection from freezing. At any rate, if the issue was incorrect fluid put in the washer tank WARRANTY SHOULD NOT cover the repair. The dealer would be liable for the repair or the facility that put the incorrect fluid in would be liable but HONDA would NOT.

I don't mean to sound like an a-hole about this but I read things in this forum about what people think should and should not be covered. I am the first to repair anything warrantable under warranty but the expectation that Honda should cover improper use, abuse, physical damage, collision damage, road hazard, etc is incorrect. Also, you know who you are, but those out there responding to a tale of woe with "ur dealer should cover that, it's not ur fault ur abs lite is on" after your ebay coil-overs got put on at your buddies house need to give better advise.

Ok, enough, I feel bad yelling at you guys but I am a dad.
IMO you do sound like an absolute A-hole about this, because what I am complaining about here is that the original w/s fluid that Honda Universe of Freehold NJ equipped this brand new 2010 Fit with FROZE several times!! I can go back and find the posts here where I complained about this crap happening, only days or maybe a week after I took possession of the vehicle!! See:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...shield+washers

So if this dealer refuses to make good on this problem that THEY caused, I am completely willing and able to generate tons of bad publicity for them!

And you sir, are a jerk!
Because of A} Assuming that I, a man in his 70's who prolly had cars before you were even born, wouldn't know enough to put proper w/s fluid into a car and must've put water in instead myself!.

And B} Assuming that I am a crybaby who knowingly did something stupid to his car and now wants Honda to make it all nice for him!

I have 4 words for you, Mr. Works-For-Dealer-Hero, and their initials are GFYS!!
(And go be a smug daddy to someone else, okay?!!)

Last edited by Chazzlee; 02-24-2010 at 12:41 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:33 AM
5 Year Member
This is what I was referring to rhyneba last night.
Hey guys we all see things in this "world" differently, so don't get mad over this. We all like our Fits and yes we can vent here but don't blowup @ eachother we have impressional adults here.
I'm going to say that if you walk into the dealership with an attitude of i love my fit and i just want this to get fixxed so i can enjoy my ride. The S.Manager will bend over backwards for ya! Because he deals with mad customers all the time and to have someone come in and just want their problem fixxed without the thought that (" You, the manager, honda motors all of ya! did this on purpose) but instead, "got time to sit down have a cup of coffee and see what we can do here?"
Here before you go off on your busy day read this it will change your thoughts I promise, John 13:34
I can honestly say all of you here are good people! This Forum was started with helping eachother in mind, building good relationships with one another.

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 02-24-2010 at 07:03 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:36 AM
I bought my Fit from Honda of Toms River and it also had the VERY WEAK factory installed washer fluid in it. I noticed at like 30 degrees (barely below freezing for only a few hours) the fluid would start to freeze and not come out of the nozzles...I added higher quality fluid when I had the chance and I have no more issues. I hope the Freehold dealer is able to fix it for you but you are not the only NJ owner with this issue!

Old 02-24-2010, 07:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Perrenoud Fit
Here before you go off on your busy day read this it will change your thoughts I promise, John 13:34
Careful, PFit... you'll have some throwing hate your way for even suggesting they read such an "illogical" piece of mere literary "dogma." (not my characterization... it's "modern" society's characterization) For some, there isn't that much "love" in the world -- to make them read, let alone actually take such advice from such a "source"!

(Again, I'm not assigning the above statement specifically to anyone here. Still, if the shoe fits, it's certainly one's obligation to wear it... here, or elsewhere... whether they want to or not.)

Considering the context of this discussion, excuse me for quoting the words of a popular drummer/lyricist of an equally popular band:

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice!"

Not John 13:34... still, wise words!

Funny and even tragic thing about all of this, there's nothing unique about anyone or any situation in all of history. I think it was King Solomon who said, "There's nothing new to man under the sun."

Have a great one, PFit!

Old 02-24-2010, 09:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Clarkemode
I bought my Fit from Honda of Toms River and it also had the VERY WEAK factory installed washer fluid in it. I noticed at like 30 degrees (barely below freezing for only a few hours) the fluid would start to freeze and not come out of the nozzles...I added higher quality fluid when I had the chance and I have no more issues. I hope the Freehold dealer is able to fix it for you but you are not the only NJ owner with this issue!
Thank you...!! For the validation here!
I hate it when some other people here assume you're either an idiot or a liar, y'know? (-Or thinking you're not religious because you get angry sometimes? -The world sure seems chock full of such smugness sometimes!)

And yes, AFA adding other higher quality fluid when I got the chance, I did this also. -And that's when I discovered that the fluid disappeared after two days even tho I hadn't used hardly any of it!

Made a mistake in my last post here tho; dealer is Honda Universe of Lakewood, not Freehold... I haven't been able to get over to them yet, so I am hoping that all my blowing off of steam is just that, and they will honestly take care of the matter without trying to put the blame on me!

I gotta admit tho, Mr. I-Work-For-A-Dealer-Hero got to me, what with his smug daddy-to-the-world assumptions, and I prolly should'nt have called him some of those nasty names! So I do apologize for at least that...

(Now here's hoping the service manager of Honda Universe is more mature in his thinking? )

Old 02-24-2010, 10:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by annunC8
Careful, PFit... you'll have some throwing hate your way for even suggesting they read such an "illogical" piece of mere literary "dogma." (not my characterization... it's "modern" society's characterization) For some, there isn't that much "love" in the world -- to make them read, let alone actually take such advice from such a "source"!

(Again, I'm not assigning the above statement specifically to anyone here. Still, if the shoe fits, it's certainly one's obligation to wear it... here, or elsewhere... whether they want to or not.)

Considering the context of this discussion, excuse me for quoting the words of a popular drummer/lyricist of an equally popular band:

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice!"

Not John 13:34... still, wise words!

Funny and even tragic thing about all of this, there's nothing unique about anyone or any situation in all of history. I think it was King Solomon who said, "There's nothing new to man under the sun."

Have a great one, PFit!
Yes Sir kinda like drive'n with your eyes closed. (Not my charactorization) but you do claim it or you wouldn't have written it for others to read annunc8. And you quote a drummer and use Solomans words outa context, Careful now! the ice your on gets really thin under the fires of Hell.... Love ya brother!
Enjoy!!

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 02-24-2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:32 AM
5 Year Member
IMO you do sound like an absolute A-hole about this, because what I am complaining about here is that the original w/s fluid that Honda Universe of Freehold NJ equipped this brand new 2010 Fit with FROZE several times!! I can go back and find the posts here where I complained about this crap happening, only days or maybe a week after I took possession of the vehicle!! See:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...shield+washers

So if this dealer refuses to make good on this problem that THEY caused, I am completely willing and able to generate tons of bad publicity for them!

And you sir, are a jerk!
Because of A} Assuming that I, a man in his 70's who prolly had cars before you were even born, wouldn't know enough to put proper w/s fluid into a car and must've put water in instead myself!.

And B} Assuming that I am a crybaby who knowingly did something stupid to his car and now wants Honda to make it all nice for him!

I have 4 words for you, Mr. Works-For-Dealer-Hero, and their initials are GFYS!!
(And go be a smug daddy to someone else, okay?!!)
I too had some weak washer fluid in my car, but I got it in the summer.

Still, what rhyneba says doesn't seem too off the mark -- if the dealer put the wrong washer fluid in, the repair should come out of the dealer's pocket, not Honda's right?

Anyway, this does beg the question of what fluid Honda uses to fill (or tells the dealers) washer reservoir, and maybe whether it's being diluted too much?

Old 02-24-2010, 09:18 PM
Ok, wow.

To start with, for the OP, thanks for the setting-straight; I can be smug at times. If your original washer fluid froze I would expect a warranty repair. I do hope your dealer sees it that way as well.

I am very sensitive to dealer bashing. I work for one. I put it in the title. I will refund any charge you pay for my comments. I probably did take a little offense to "damn fool windshield washer stuff the dealer had in my Fit".

I am a champion of justice. That really was mostly my point, not to be a hero. If it came from Honda like that, Honda should pay for it. If they came dry and your dealer put sub-standard cheap stuff in it and it froze, your dealer should pay for it. If you (NOT ACCUSING OR ASSUMING, now or ever) did it, you should pay for it.

No offense to or by anyone. Although it was weary reading it.

Gal 6:9

Old 02-25-2010, 09:32 AM
Cant we all just get along!!

Old 02-25-2010, 10:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rhyneba
Ok, wow.

To start with, for the OP, thanks for the setting-straight; I can be smug at times. If your original washer fluid froze I would expect a warranty repair. I do hope your dealer sees it that way as well.

I am very sensitive to dealer bashing. I work for one. I put it in the title. I will refund any charge you pay for my comments. I probably did take a little offense to "damn fool windshield washer stuff the dealer had in my Fit".

I am a champion of justice. That really was mostly my point, not to be a hero. If it came from Honda like that, Honda should pay for it. If they came dry and your dealer put sub-standard cheap stuff in it and it froze, your dealer should pay for it. If you (NOT ACCUSING OR ASSUMING, now or ever) did it, you should pay for it.

No offense to or by anyone. Although it was weary reading it.

Gal 6:9
I think both of your posts were fine rhyneba. Because the way I understand it is that the dealer is just a bridge between customer and Honda. Further, Honda says Yey or ney on all repairs, If they say no, then the dealer needs to own up, do a courtesy or argue with the customer.
It is also I think unrealistic for chazzlee to expect you to remember his previous posts on the topic.
Also it is best to stay away from direct name calling as that is a rule break on most forums, and can get you suspended.
With all that said, I do hope it works out in Chazzlee's favor.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Clarkemode
add me to the list
Dirk

Old 02-25-2010, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
just buy a few bottles of rainx orange and keep flushing. my washer fluid froze in a week of me buying it, but everntually the orange rainx worked its way through. I got someone to put their finger over the opposite nozzle and I held down the washer fluid trigger. This pressure buildup helped my nozzle from being frozen and started flowing again. i always use the rainx fluid. The orange rainx fluid is less dense than water or other fluids so it wont come out until all the old stuff is gone.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:22 PM
Type A personalities die sooner lol. Take life one day at a time and don't forget to smile! release those happy endorphins!!! Don't stress. You'd be surprised what niceness can accomplish. they might even give you a peace-offering gift (like a free oil change coupon!!). Nothing like good 'ole optimism.
(NO!!) -----> (YES!!)= live long time