2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Can you get 12-15 hp gain for $900 with the right Intake + Header + exhaust setup?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jexeffectz
okay...90hp with a 12-15 hp (if that's even true) gain...you're at ~100hp. Not much of a jump....so i'll stand by my statement and say NO...no gain will be felt
How can you seriously say it is not much of a jump? It's upwards of 15% increase in power. That is a nice jump up. You are looking at the number and just dismissing it because well it is small, we all know this already.

You sound like you suffer from LDS.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
How can you seriously say it is not much of a jump? It's upwards of 15% increase in power. That is a nice jump up. You are looking at the number and just dismissing it because well it is small, we all know this already.

Once again you will not be seeing those gains 100% of through the wot powerband. 15hp from, say, 2 psi of boost will be noticeable every moment you are on the gas. While ihe upgrades will only be felt, if felt, the last moment before you shift.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
I would say part of the problem is where in the powerband we are seeing the gains. Most of the ihe mods are only showing good gains above 5k rpms. Even at WOT you are not always above that threshold. Everything has a trade off otherwise Honda would have just stuck it on from the get go. Most off the time we are trading noise for power. Honda could easily have made a PRM style intake at a lower cost but they opted for the air silencer box to lower induction noise. This may result in a negligible loss of volumetric efficency at high rpms as the cylinder struggles to suck in enough air through the minor constriction that the box presents. When you put on a Sri/cai you are eliminating that negligible restriction but increasing noise. It's the same thing with the exhaust but gains will be even lower there because free flowing is not a good thing for an exaust at lower rpms. You need some backpressure to aid the evacuation of exhaust gasses from the cylinder and Honda took a great deal of time determing what the best combination of noise supression without excessive or too little backpressure was. My point is that Honda don't screw around with it's na engines, they are the gods of na, no other manufacturer milks as much power from an equally sized na engine. Unless you want to sound like a rice rocket don't bother with ihe. Honda, even made it easy for us to get the induction noise back by removing a lid from the air box that cannot server any purpose but that. Either get a new engine or go fi and be a pioneer of fi on the ge's l15a Yes, the hks does sound good though but as stated earlier gains are marginal.
couldn't have said it better...good job

Originally Posted by hondaFORlife
U might not "feel" it, but the numbers at the track would prove to be a bit faster. . Its all relative. On a low HP car, you will feel the difference of 15-20 HP. On a high HP car, of course not.
in my high HP car, i didn't even know I gained 20whp from an upgraded intercooler and 1-step colder spark plugs...i assure you, unless you're WOT 99% of the time, you won't feel a thing.

Please see below

Once again you will not be seeing those gains 100% of through the wot powerband. 15hp from, say, 2 psi of boost will be noticeable every moment you are on the gas. While ihe upgrades will only be felt, if felt, the last moment before you shift.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:57 PM
Jexeffectz, I said u WOULDN'T feel it in a high horsepower car.

And call me whatever you want, but various times in commute, I am WOT, and shift at redline.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:03 PM
5 Year Member
As far as not seeing the gains 100% through the powerband, of course not. I don't think anyone here has stated such, but if someone somehow thought so, well then they need to learn about how it all works.

It might all be semantics about what one feels, will the increase throw you back into your seat and make you scream iiiiiiiiVTECCCCCCCCCCC...hell no. Will the car be quicker than it was stock with a 15% increase in power for we'll use your number of 5000rpm and above, well that is almost 25% of the powerband, so I say yes it will be. So with the car actually being quicker wouldn't one be able to say they felt the car was quicker if they can see an improvement in performance?

Now about wasting money, using the logic presented so far in this thread, isn't it more a waste of money to buy a high hp car and then not even drive it hard, but have it be a queen (vast majority of owners of such vehicles)? What's the point of a car as such on the everyday roads? Again it harps back to LDS. Don't get me wrong in any way, of course I appreciate cars with power, but they have a place. And for somebody that wants to upgrade their whatever car it might be, how is it really a waste if that is what they want to do? Nobody forced them to upgrade or possibly not upgrade at all, but modify.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
I suppose my intent here is just to set realistic expectations. Better to be sad knowing you can't get fast for cheap, than to have already spent the money to find out the same.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:06 PM

And call me whatever you want, but various times in commute, I am WOT, and shift at redline.
yeah...i re-read that...so reading>me

BUT...i sure hope you do that type of driving when no one else is on the road. sacrificing the safety of others is stupidity at its best.

As far as not seeing the gains 100% through the powerband, of course not. I don't think anyone here has stated such, but if someone somehow thought so, well then they need to learn about how it all works.

It might all be semantics about what one feels, will the increase throw you back into your seat and make you scream iiiiiiiiVTECCCCCCCCCCC...hell no. Will the car be quicker than it was stock with a 15% increase in power for we'll use your number of 5000rpm and above, well that is almost 25% of the powerband, so I say yes it will be. So with the car actually being quicker wouldn't one be able to say they felt the car was quicker if they can see an improvement in performance?
so you're saying to get the kit that costs $900 and shift at 5k rpm EVERYTIME? The car may be quicker, but you're not even on par with stock performance cars....

Now about wasting money, using the logic presented so far in this thread, isn't it more a waste of money to buy a high hp car and then not even drive it hard, but have it be a queen (vast majority of owners of such vehicles)? What's the point of a car as such on the everyday roads? Again it harps back to LDS. Don't get me wrong in any way, of course I appreciate cars with power, but they have a place. And for somebody that wants to upgrade their whatever car it might be, how is it really a waste if that is what they want to do? Nobody forced them to upgrade or possibly not upgrade at all, but modify.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
This thread is whack. I am out.
Anybody who says there are no gains until just before you shift doesn't do there homework or read the dyno charts.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:24 PM
^Not to be a douche...but anyone that can justify spending $900 for a kit that, only at best, nets 15whp over stock needs to do a lot more homework.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
^To be a douche, anyone that can justify spending $900 for a kit that, only at best, nets 15whp over stock needs to do a lot more homework.
Fixed it for you.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by baylorbro
Fixed it for you.

oh...you're funny...that was cute

Old 03-09-2010, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tork
This thread is whack. I am out.
Anybody who says there are no gains until just before you shift doesn't do there homework or read the dyno charts.
I am exagerating the point, all of these figures for 12-15 are peak hp that occurs only around 6k. If we talk about the true average horsepower gain durring wide open throttle from 1st to 3rd gear the actual average hp increase is only going to be about 8-10. What im trying to stress is that a 12-15% increase in peak hp with IHE is only really a 8-10% increase in overall power. Can you feel 10%? I did feel anything if I payed a grand for it. I'd believe PNP HID lights helped me see in fog and didn't blind other drivers if I payed for those too.

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 03-09-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:22 PM
5 Year Member
are you seriously trying to compare fit gains to a vespa? I'm not trying to rag on your rides or anything like that, but honestly no, you WILL NOT FEEL THE GAINS. Anything felt can be attributed to the loudness of said modded parts. Anything <20whp can be purely psychological as to withstand buyer's remorse.

I say this again with whole hearted seriousness...$900 can be spent elsewhere. Now, if you're buying the parts for pure aesthetic appeal, that's a different story, but if you want performance, you might as well make a jump to forced induction or k20 swap. i/h/e will make you real fast.
yes... I do compare the fit to a vespa... and my John Deere Tractor, and my weed whacker... Name:  facepalm1.gif
Views: 362
Size:  2.8 KB It was a metaphor based upon the difference between a higher HP car such as a Vette, GT500, or GT-R vs a Fit and between a Fit vs Vespa. For my next comparison I'll be differentiating a Tamaya blackfoot against the new Ford F150 Raptor.

In a fit, you WILL MOST CERTAINLY feel the gains and no... it's not psychological. I could feel (and measure) a 7+hp gain on my GS-R... and so can almost anybody. If you can't feel the difference between 95hp & 110 hp on the same car, you don't know how to properly drive the car. We're not talking neck snapping power but a constant pull in the higher rpms that wasn't there before (or as strong). Anyone whose driven hondas for a while knows that you have to Rev the engine to get the most out of it. Heck, my GS-R didn't make any usable power until 5k rpms and at 6K rpm the intake valves opened up. From there to 8100 (redline) was pure bliss.

You're in Jersey, that's called merging

BUT...i sure hope you do that type of driving when no one else is on the road. sacrificing the safety of others is stupidity at its best.
WOT doesn't mean high speeds. It means making sure the car is in the right powerband when exiting a corner, accelerating onto an onramp or AutoXing the car. It's about knowing where the power is located in the RPM range... and using it.
so you're saying to get the kit that costs $900 and shift at 5k rpm EVERYTIME? The car may be quicker, but you're not even on par with stock performance cars....
Why would anyone put performance mods on a car that they didn't intend of driving in a more performance oriented manner... such as Revving up close to redline, then shifting. Driving IS SUPPOSED TO BE about the driver's enjoyment. Not everyone has to be driving a GT-R, 911, or some other "performance" car to be able to utilize a vehicle's capabilities... and put a smile on their face. Sometimes it just takes a little bit here and a little bit there like beefing up suspension, adding a few hp and some torque. I had a 270hp Altima 3.5SE which had the stiffer suspension and the FIT feels much better in corners. it's not going to win any stoplight races but I have no use for those. The fit is tossable and with a few more hp, would do much better on hilly roads, especially for it's weight. Plain and simple, as is, it's a more fun car than the altima and with a few extra ponies, it could be more fun. A ride behind the wheel of a 427 Cobra Jet will satisfy my family for power.

~SB

Old 03-09-2010, 11:30 PM
5 Year Member
I am exagerating the point, all of these figures for 12-15 are peak hp that occurs only around 6k.....
If you have a legit point, no need to exaggerate (which you misspelled)!
This thread is not about $3500 FI kits which aren't even out yet or HID's which I have no clue of how that even fits into whatever point you are trying to make or the thread.

What mods have you done to your car?

My point on topic to the OP consistently has been, shed as much wheel weight as you can, lighten the car with whatever you are comfortable with and with my list of mods I have achieved the OP's goal in a different way for a little more $. Thus I think I am helping the guy out.
Yes I do feel the difference in my car quite noticeably!!!!!!
If you want to go on and on about NA mods being worthless why not start your own thread instead of trampling on this guys thread

In your quest to dismiss all NA mods as pointless until 6K RPM.......
Then you might want to also dismiss every Honda 4 cylinder ever made because guess where they make max HP

Sorry to everybody else, it is just that I have never seen another forum that is as negative as this one where guys pontificate endlessly off topic about things that in many cases they have never tried or have no hands on experience with.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tork
If you have a legit point, no need to exaggerate (which you misspelled)!
This thread is not about $3500 FI kits which aren't even out yet or HID's which I have no clue of how that even fits into whatever point you are trying to make or the thread.

What mods have you done to your car?

My point on topic to the OP consistently has been, shed as much wheel weight as you can, lighten the car with whatever you are comfortable with and with my list of mods I have achieved the OP's goal in a different way for a little more $. Thus I think I am helping the guy out.
Yes I do feel the difference in my car quite noticeably!!!!!!
If you want to go on and on about NA mods being worthless why not start your own thread instead of trampling on this guys thread

In your quest to dismiss all NA mods as pointless until 6K RPM.......
Then you might want to also dismiss every Honda 4 cylinder ever made because guess where they make max HP

Sorry to everybody else, it is just that I have never seen another forum that is as negative as this one where guys pontificate endlessly off topic about things that in many cases they have never tried or have no hands on experience with.
Yes, Yes, I know all about your NA quest. I've read about it in your other posts in other threads, you seem very enthusiastic. It's actually something I can respect. It's just that other people depend on forums like these to make their purchasing decisions. If you've been on other forums I'm sure you know this debate has gone on for a long long time. As for my spelling I do most my posts from an iPhone so it' to be expected. The HID lights had to do with how paying money for a product will make you more inclined defend it even after you've learned it is lacking or has problems. Exaggeration is absolutely neccesary. Newbs and Lurkers are reading this thread also to decide if they will get these items. From all the wasted money I had on my Tbird for the K&N intake, Cat delete, and custom straight pipes I want to make sure folks are warned. This will not meet most drivers expectations. Not everyone sees this as a fun challenge like yourself. Most drivers just want to go faster, and this is not the best or even most cost efficent way to it. The very tittle of this entire thread could be reworded: "Will IHE make my car go faster" or to summarize even more "Can I go significantly faster without paying alot of money" The answer to that is, somewhat, but not alot at all. That is how I've been addressing this. NA mods are not worthless its just that they are more of an enjoyable dyno challenge than a ticket to speed and I want to make sure I make that distinction. If someone would have warned me 5 years ago I would have been thankful. As for the whole High rpms thing you might be reading into me too much. I am still simply stating that you can't just say 15 hp gain and then turnaround and say 15% improvement. These are 2 different things Average/Mean Power Improvement and Peak Power Improvement. It's very similar to rms vs peak wattage in car amps. I love the sound of 6800 rpms. And yes, I hate Honda after I just finished worshiping them .

As for my mods just check my created threads. All the typical lighting/audio ricer crap you'd expect

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 03-10-2010 at 12:50 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:45 AM
5 Year Member
Now, I am sorry If I come across as personally putting your mods down. Like I was saying, I understand what you are doing and I can certainly see how it could be downright fun. This is just about realistic expectations for others who are doing them with a different mindset.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:43 AM
Originally Posted by specboy
yes... I do compare the fit to a vespa... and my John Deere Tractor, and my weed whacker... It was a metaphor based upon the difference between a higher HP car such as a Vette, GT500, or GT-R vs a Fit and between a Fit vs Vespa. For my next comparison I'll be differentiating a Tamaya blackfoot against the new Ford F150 Raptor.

In a fit, you WILL MOST CERTAINLY feel the gains and no... it's not psychological. I could feel (and measure) a 7+hp gain on my GS-R... and so can almost anybody. If you can't feel the difference between 95hp & 110 hp on the same car, you don't know how to properly drive the car. We're not talking neck snapping power but a constant pull in the higher rpms that wasn't there before (or as strong). Anyone whose driven hondas for a while knows that you have to Rev the engine to get the most out of it. Heck, my GS-R didn't make any usable power until 5k rpms and at 6K rpm the intake valves opened up. From there to 8100 (redline) was pure bliss.
Just because you can "feel" the gains from 10-15whp doesn't mean you can "drive"...quit kidding yourself. I've already said my piece, so I'll leave it at that.

Originally Posted by specboy
You're in Jersey, that's called merging

WOT doesn't mean high speeds. It means making sure the car is in the right powerband when exiting a corner, accelerating onto an onramp or AutoXing the car. It's about knowing where the power is located in the RPM range... and using it.
Maybe I'm blind, but he DID say he redlines between shifts? Unnecessarily going to redline in daily traffic commute is sacrificing the safety of others for selfish eandevors...and that, by all means is stoopid. Not to say I haven't done it, but I certainly don't make a habit of it.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:20 AM
5 Year Member
I'll say this of the two dissenting posters. jizzeffects is just an arrogant "know it all" trolling a forum for a car he doesn't even own. Why? I don't know, but it probably has something to do with him not having a life.

Lyon on the other hand, makes some legitimate points and I see where he's coming from. He just doesn't want the "I want more power" crowd to was their had earned $$ on something that will leave them disappointed.

I've been lurking this tread for a little while, and I guess I'll go ahead and give my input. I first started modding (performance wise) with an intake. I can honestly say I did not feel much. I recently added the T1R50s muffler and I do honestly and unbiasedly believe that I feel an increase. I think the intake in combination with the less restrictive muffler has increased hp to a point where I can genuinely feel it. I think if I had either one without the other, gains would be minimal.

Furthermore, weight reduction on the Fit is a GREAT way to feel gains. I took out the back seats and it was night and day. You add a passenger to my car, and again it's night and day.

If you were to have someone plug there ears and then drive a stock fit vs my fit (lighter wheels, no back seat, intake, muffler), I can guarantee you they would be able to tell which car was faster.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:04 AM
5 Year Member

Maybe you should reread and possibly go back to school and visit an eye doctor. Not sure how you interpreted what I wrote into a translation of always shifting at 5000rpm with a $900 kit. Not even sure what this kit is you are speaking of, nor do I think you even know.

And there you go again with the LDS, do I care that the Fit is not as fast as some stock performance cars even after modding it, obviously not or I wouldn't of purchased it. Every car I have owned prior to the Fit has had more power stock and was quicker and faster. Maybe you need a car with more power to feel like a man or something, not sure, but I don't. I got the Fit with the intention of having a nice daily ride and if I would of brought my now sold S2000 (probably not a man enough car for you either) it would not of been a very fun commute in the traffic here that I face everyday and that car makes you want to have fun. I would of done it, but the Fit is definitely more practical for this scenario. Also my intention in buying the Fit and selling the S2000 was in a year hopefully finding a decent NS-X to be the fun fun car. In the meantime I will mod my Fit to extract what I can from it and make it even a more fun car to drive FOR ME!!!

^Not to be a douche...but anyone that can justify spending $900 for a kit that, only at best, nets 15whp over stock needs to do a lot more homework.
Are you going to be the teacher, if so I think I will skip this class because I might just lose intelligence. Or I would fail your class because I plan on spending double that just for an exhaust that will net me maybe 4hp, but lose 19.5lbs from the stock setup.

This thread has ran its course for sure.

Last edited by 555sexydrive; 03-10-2010 at 04:16 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by baylorbro
I'll say this of the two dissenting posters. jizzeffects is just an arrogant "know it all" trolling a forum for a car he doesn't even own. Why? I don't know, but it probably has something to do with him not having a life.

Lyon on the other hand, makes some legitimate points and I see where he's coming from. He just doesn't want the "I want more power" crowd to was their had earned $$ on something that will leave them disappointed.

I've been lurking this tread for a little while, and I guess I'll go ahead and give my input. I first started modding (performance wise) with an intake. I can honestly say I did not feel much. I recently added the T1R50s muffler and I do honestly and unbiasedly believe that I feel an increase. I think the intake in combination with the less restrictive muffler has increased hp to a point where I can genuinely feel it. I think if I had either one without the other, gains would be minimal.

Furthermore, weight reduction on the Fit is a GREAT way to feel gains. I took out the back seats and it was night and day. You add a passenger to my car, and again it's night and day.

If you were to have someone plug there ears and then drive a stock fit vs my fit (lighter wheels, no back seat, intake, muffler), I can guarantee you they would be able to tell which car was faster.
Rear seat delete was my first mod! Unfortunately, too many people mocked me for having a 4 door with 2 seats back then, so I caved and bolted it back in.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...at-delete.html

Quick Reply: Can you get 12-15 hp gain for $900 with the right Intake + Header + exhaust setup?