2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Can you get 12-15 hp gain for $900 with the right Intake + Header + exhaust setup?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 02:29 PM
AJ's recent dyno of their GE8 indicates yes. They show a solid 19whp with just their 50R muffler + b-pipe and intake.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by zulu
AJ's recent dyno of their GE8 indicates yes. They show a solid 19whp with just their 50R muffler + b-pipe and intake.

Uhhhhhhhh 19? I don't think so.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by baylorbro
Uhhhhhhhh 19? I don't think so.
well... The dynos in the other thread (somewhere on this forum) show that as the increase. Not sure what to make of it as I like to be skeptical but if it makes 2/3 of that, for the fit, that is a big difference.

~SB

Old 03-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
well... The dynos in the other thread (somewhere on this forum) show that as the increase. Not sure what to make of it as I like to be skeptical but if it makes 2/3 of that, for the fit, that is a big difference.

~SB
it's right here. in all honesty, I am not so sure I believe them. They are somewhat unscrupulous according to a good amount of info provided by individuals.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/aj-r...tml#post821374

Old 03-05-2010, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
wow how can an intake and cat back exhaust make 19hp? are you sure ajr isnt fouling numbers because the gain seems overy ambitious for just couple bolt ons. i think at best 10hp would be possible with those add ons.

numbers might be 10hp+ivtec sticker+type R emblem= 19hp total.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by JJIN

numbers might be 10hp+ivtec sticker+type R emblem= 19hp total.
omg lmmfao.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:49 PM
5 Year Member
I saw that thread and was mistaken. Sorry spec. I just looked at the dyno plot gains and didn't realize they didn't include the stock number runs. I'd be interested to see the stock plot to legitimize the claims. I have the 50S muffler and PRM intake with plans for the WeaponR catdelete and precat pipe and T1R bpipe. It might be a while before it's all said and done, but I'll get a dyno done and see how it turns out.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by baylorbro
I saw that thread and was mistaken. Sorry spec. I just looked at the dyno plot gains and didn't realize they didn't include the stock number runs. I'd be interested to see the stock plot to legitimize the claims. I have the 50S muffler and PRM intake with plans for the WeaponR catdelete and precat pipe and T1R bpipe. It might be a while before it's all said and done, but I'll get a dyno done and see how it turns out.
No Prob. I have no hard evidence so was just quoting what I read elsewhere. as I said, I'm not so sure about 19hp but a 10hp bump would be an increase of more than 10% power gain. It's nothing for a corvette or GT-R if you gain 10-15hp but on a fit, it is a HUGE improvement. It's about perspective as 19 hp would be a 3% or 4% gain on a GT-R but it's 20%+ on the Fit.

For reference, the Civic Si has a Weight/Power ratio of 15lbs/1hp while the stock fit is 21.5lbs/1hp. Using their 19hp increase, that drops the FIT's Weight/Power ratio to 18.5lbs/1HP which is better than the Civic EX. This should put the Fit ahead of the civic in terms of performance (except for the Si). - I didn't even take into account that aftermarket I/H/E's usually are lighter than the stock units as well.

Performance isn' about power, it's about Weight/Power ratio. The Ariel Atom is running a K20 and gets to 60mph in under 3 seconds in the Supercharged 300hp version. I believe it's in the 5 second range for the 219hp NA K20.

~SB

Old 03-07-2010, 08:54 AM
gains

I'm pretty happy with just adding a K&N air filter. SOP (seat of pants) dyno gives good results. If nothing else, hesitation is less.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:03 AM
5 Year Member
Interesting on what you guys say about the aj gains. Would like to know more

Old 03-08-2010, 12:24 AM
5 Year Member
The Ariel Atom is running a K20 and gets to 60mph in under 3 seconds in the Supercharged 300hp version. I believe it's in the 5 second range for the 219hp NA K20.

~SB
It very well should be, in my old 5R Teggy in stock form I could get about 6.1 and with just the Amuse R1 non-resonated, Toda exmani, GruppeM intake and ORC carbon super single I would rip off 5.7~8 0-100km/h(62mph) times. When I got K-Pro, I got it down to just over 5.4 (gutted interior) and this was not dumping the clutch off the line. The Atom should be faster yet, but traction might be the issue somewhat. My Teggy was faster than my Snisen at least from what I could tell. I didn't ever really time the Snisen, even though it too had KPro. It was quick, but just didn't seem to accelerate as quickly. It was the weight and power being nearly the same if not more to the ground in the Teggy.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:07 AM
xm8
Intake will give you 3-4 hp, b-pipe will give you 1-2 hp and exhaust will give you 1-2 hp, then that's it.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:16 AM
12-15hp isn't worth $900...you won't even feel the increase...save money for a better car if you want performance. unless you're the type to go big or go home...then i suggest you save your money

Old 03-09-2010, 02:49 AM
5 Year Member
I can't agree with not feeling an increase of 12~15hp. Now if you said not feeling up to like 5 hp I could agree with that. On a car that only puts down around 90hp an increase of around 15% is going to be noticeable.

Not even increasing hp, but installing a throttle controller you will feel a difference in the car with its ability to slightly get out of its own way a little quicker.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jexeffectz
12-15hp isn't worth $900...you won't even feel the increase...save money for a better car if you want performance. unless you're the type to go big or go home...then i suggest you save your money
12-15hp? on a Dodge Viper... you won't feel it. On the fit, you most certainly will. The lower the base hp, the more you will feel an increase. I bet you'd notice 12-15hp on a vespa. You can feel the 7hp gain just an intake gets you on the Integra GS-R and that's putting down 140hp to the wheels.

~SB

Old 03-09-2010, 02:12 PM
12-15hp? on a Dodge Viper... you won't feel it. On the fit, you most certainly will. The lower the base hp, the more you will feel an increase. I bet you'd notice 12-15hp on a vespa. You can feel the 7hp gain just an intake gets you on the Integra GS-R and that's putting down 140hp to the wheels.

~SB
are you seriously trying to compare fit gains to a vespa? I'm not trying to rag on your rides or anything like that, but honestly no, you WILL NOT FEEL THE GAINS. Anything felt can be attributed to the loudness of said modded parts. Anything <20whp can be purely psychological as to withstand buyer's remorse.

I say this again with whole hearted seriousness...$900 can be spent elsewhere. Now, if you're buying the parts for pure aesthetic appeal, that's a different story, but if you want performance, you might as well make a jump to forced induction or k20 swap. i/h/e will make you real fast.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
I can't agree with not feeling an increase of 12~15hp. Now if you said not feeling up to like 5 hp I could agree with that. On a car that only puts down around 90hp an increase of around 15% is going to be noticeable.

Not even increasing hp, but installing a throttle controller you will feel a difference in the car with its ability to slightly get out of its own way a little quicker.
okay...90hp with a 12-15 hp (if that's even true) gain...you're at ~100hp. Not much of a jump....so i'll stand by my statement and say NO...no gain will be felt

Old 03-09-2010, 02:20 PM
U might not "feel" it, but the numbers at the track would prove to be a bit faster. . Its all relative. On a low HP car, you will feel the difference of 15-20 HP. On a high HP car, of course not.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:05 PM
5 Year Member
I would say part of the problem is where in the powerband we are seeing the gains. Most of the ihe mods are only showing good gains above 5k rpms. Even at WOT you are not always above that threshold. Everything has a trade off otherwise Honda would have just stuck it on from the get go. Most off the time we are trading noise for power. Honda could easily have made a PRM style intake at a lower cost but they opted for the air silencer box to lower induction noise. This may result in a negligible loss of volumetric efficency at high rpms as the cylinder struggles to suck in enough air through the minor constriction that the box presents. When you put on a Sri/cai you are eliminating that negligible restriction but increasing noise. It's the same thing with the exhaust but gains will be even lower there because free flowing is not a good thing for an exaust at lower rpms. You need some backpressure to aid the evacuation of exhaust gasses from the cylinder and Honda took a great deal of time determing what the best combination of noise supression without excessive or too little backpressure was. My point is that Honda don't screw around with it's na engines, they are the gods of na, no other manufacturer milks as much power from an equally sized na engine. Unless you want to sound like a rice rocket don't bother with ihe. Honda, even made it easy for us to get the induction noise back by removing a lid from the air box that cannot server any purpose but that. Either get a new engine or go fi and be a pioneer of fi on the ge's l15a Yes, the hks does sound good though but as stated earlier gains are marginal.

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 03-09-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:12 PM
They have cel fixes, usually just a diode which can eliminate the cel codes

Quick Reply: Can you get 12-15 hp gain for $900 with the right Intake + Header + exhaust setup?