2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

GE8 deflector question

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 08:59 AM
5 Year Member
GE8 deflector question

Anyone know whether Hood Deflectors really do a good enough job guarding against bugs, rocks, debris, etc? Humans? j/k

I want to order one for my GE. They actually look kinda' cool, I think, but I don't want to spend $80.00+ if they really don't do a lot of good. There are other items I could spend my money on that look a lot nicer than hood deflectors if I were only concerned about aesthetics.

The clear bras, etc. do a good job, but I like the deflectors better. Considering they are so short, I wonder how well they really deflect debris up and away from the hood. Enough to be effective and worth the cost?

Thanks

Old 02-19-2010, 06:12 AM
5 Year Member
WoW!

So I guess no one here ever installed/used a hood deflector? Everything else in the auto world seems to have been used here at one time or another.

I was thinking about this one:

Honda Fit Hood Deflector

I've seen them on a couple of Fits here, but haven't heard comments about any actual protection results after installing one.

Maybe someone who has one will venture in and comment on the install and result.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:19 AM
5 Year Member
Mine. I had dealer put it on. Works fine. Deflects some crap. Goes through touchless car wash fine. The one on my Caravan goes through a brush wash ok.

Name:  001-2.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  57.3 KB

Old 02-19-2010, 07:30 AM
I've also been considering this mod, but haven't pulled the trigger yet because like you, I don't; know if the price is justified. I'll probably end up getting it though.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:29 AM
Just clear bra. That's just my opinion.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:26 AM
5 Year Member
What does a professional application of clear bra cost (approximately). If you get up close to the car, can you see it? Does it change color or otherwise visibly deteriorate over time? Can it be removed and if so, what are the implications to the finish under where it used to be?

Thanks for any info in advance.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:52 PM
This spring I plan on having a local brand clear bra my dealer installs (Autobahnd). Retail they charge between 150-250 for the front, hood front, rock guards and handle guards. If you know someone who can do it, and can get the design precut chances are it will run you $50-70. Worth it, but the quality of the film is a huge factor. It works and looks better on darker cars, white seems to fade differently. But I've seen blue/black cars with 50k miles on original installed clear bra and no issues.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:16 AM
Ein
5 Year Member
Here's a DIY video:

DIYHonda.com Video Podcasts: Episode #171 - 2nd Generation Honda Fit Air Deflector

I installed mine in Nov, so I'll not know how good it's against bugs till summer. The one that Colledgehils Honda sells is the same as Zeta's.

Last edited by Ein; 02-20-2010 at 02:24 AM.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:26 AM
Originally Posted by know-nothin
What does a professional application of clear bra cost (approximately). If you get up close to the car, can you see it? Does it change color or otherwise visibly deteriorate over time? Can it be removed and if so, what are the implications to the finish under where it used to be?

Thanks for any info in advance.
It varies I've seen from $300-$800 depends on the car for a full front application.
I bought mine in bulk form and applied it myself (hood, bumper, fogs, lower differser, etc) I did mine for under $100. I've had mine on about a year now and it is still in perfect shape. It has saved my front end thousands of times. If you get up close you can see it but only where the line is. Buy 3M clear bra it will not yellow. It probably should be replaced if it is damaged (which I don't see how other than an accident or in five years or so) It can be removed and there will be no implications it was ever there (other than a rock chip free area )

Check on youtube there are lots of videos on how to apply it.
bought my bulk from cleardefender.com
there is also instruction how to apply it on their website.

Here is a pic of mine on my hood. Look up the hood about 10" and you can see a faint line...thats the edge. Also as a side note it shows up barely in this pic and I took at least 5 pics trying to get it to show up.

Here is another pic up close and you can't even see it.

Good luck.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Committobefit08

Good luck.
Yeah, that's nice. That may be the way to go. Although, I do like the way the standard hood/air deflectors look.

Thanks

Old 02-20-2010, 06:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Mine. I had dealer put it on. Works fine. Deflects some crap. Goes through touchless car wash fine. The one on my Caravan goes through a brush wash ok.
Great, thanks! Aside from form and function, it looks nice on your Fit too... I think it does.

Thanks, B3sr!

BTW, +reps also for the "Demons of Stupidity" exorcism graphic!

Last edited by annunC8; 02-20-2010 at 07:07 AM.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ein
Here's a DIY video:

DIYHonda.com Video Podcasts: Episode #171 - 2nd Generation Honda Fit Air Deflector

I installed mine in Nov, so I'll not know how good it's against bugs till summer. The one that Colledgehils Honda sells is the same as Zeta's.
Thanks for the vid link.

Also, are you sure it's the same one as the Zeta? If you look closely at both the Zeta and supposed "Honda brand" deflector look a little different. Also, the Honda brand deflector doesn't have any logo. The Zeta brand has a 'FormFit' name/graphic on it.

I'm not saying you're wrong... I don't know. Again, they look different and the price is also different.

Any results on bugs or deflections before I get mine (within the next month or so) post them here, if you get the chance.

Thanks again.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
It varies I've seen from $300-$800 depends on the car for a full front application.
I bought mine in bulk form and applied it myself (hood, bumper, fogs, lower differser, etc) I did mine for under $100. I've had mine on about a year now and it is still in perfect shape. It has saved my front end thousands of times. If you get up close you can see it but only where the line is. Buy 3M clear bra it will not yellow. It probably should be replaced if it is damaged (which I don't see how other than an accident or in five years or so) It can be removed and there will be no implications it was ever there (other than a rock chip free area )

Check on youtube there are lots of videos on how to apply it.
bought my bulk from cleardefender.com
there is also instruction how to apply it on their website.

Here is a pic of mine on my hood. Look up the hood about 10" and you can see a faint line...thats the edge. Also as a side note it shows up barely in this pic and I took at least 5 pics trying to get it to show up.

Good luck.
Thanks for the info and pics! + Rep for you.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:16 PM
dam i was tyring to look for one too but i aint trying to spend too much. can someone show me where i can get one for a reasonable price ?

Old 02-20-2010, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
You can look on eBay. It offers pre-cut base on model and sheet.
honda fit paint protection, eBay Motors. Great deals on eBay!

Old 02-21-2010, 02:50 AM
Ein
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by annunC8
Thanks for the vid link.

Also, are you sure it's the same one as the Zeta? If you look closely at both the Zeta and supposed "Honda brand" deflector look a little different. Also, the Honda brand deflector doesn't have any logo. The Zeta brand has a 'FormFit' name/graphic on it.

I'm not saying you're wrong... I don't know. Again, they look different and the price is also different.

Any results on bugs or deflections before I get mine (within the next month or so) post them here, if you get the chance.

Thanks again.
Other than the logo, they looked the same, even down to the installation hardwares. I don't think the Fit logo is worth the extra $35. But, that's just me.

Last edited by Ein; 02-21-2010 at 02:53 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by annunC8
Great, thanks! Aside from form and function, it looks nice on your Fit too... I think it does.

Thanks, B3sr!

BTW, +reps also for the "Demons of Stupidity" exorcism graphic!

Thanks.

By the way my deflector cost $142 Cdn