2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

17x10 in GE8

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 10:20 AM
5 Year Member
The red rep power, no idea, one day I noticed it, but I don't really understand as I have I believe 11 positive reps and only have 1 neg rep from somebody that didn't like my comment about some lady crashing into a member on Fit Freak and I said something like she was probably talking on the phone, texting on another one and stuffing a cheeseburger down her cum guzzler. And that was a while ago. Though really as I stated in another thread, doesn't bother me any as red is actually my favorite color.

Hope you get it all sorted out, not my style, but that's not for you to care about. haha

Old 02-19-2010, 05:20 PM
These wheels are old school, don't get me wrong, I think they are nice

Old 02-19-2010, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
The red rep power, no idea, one day I noticed it, but I don't really understand as I have I believe 11 positive reps and only have 1 neg rep from somebody that didn't like my comment about some lady crashing into a member on Fit Freak and I said something like she was probably talking on the phone, texting on another one and stuffing a cheeseburger down her cum guzzler. And that was a while ago. Though really as I stated in another thread, doesn't bother me any as red is actually my favorite color.

Hope you get it all sorted out, not my style, but that's not for you to care about. haha
You can see who (if it was another member) gave you what rep by going to user CP and scrolling down.
With the exception of it being an admin or maybe a mod, then you may not see a trace. If that is the case it was probably the C** guzzler comment. Some ladies frequent the forum, and some young future car enthusiasts. Pretty standard for admins/mods to strongly disapprove of lack of respect to wimmens/teen agers etc.

Now the 10" wheels! I do not like to post neg on anybody (I do like the looks BTW) but man, I wonder about safety because the tire bead to rim contact looks iffy.

Last edited by Tork; 02-19-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
That shouldn't be allowed on the road. It can't be safe for the driver, occupants nor other people on the road.

Darwin award in the making!

Old 02-19-2010, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by Tork
You can see who (if it was another member) gave you what rep by going to user CP and scrolling down.
With the exception of it being an admin or maybe a mod, then you may not see a trace. If that is the case it was probably the C** guzzler comment. Some ladies frequent the forum, and some young future car enthusiasts. Pretty standard for admins/mods to strongly disapprove of lack of respect to wimmens/teen agers etc.

Now the 10" wheels! I do not like to post neg on anybody (I do like the looks BTW) but man, I wonder about safety because the tire bead to rim contact looks iffy.
thankyou very much buddy
dont worry i already fix it, the rubbing tyre is because i decided to change to 215/45, but i go back with 205/45 again so it didn't rubbing again

once again thanks

Old 02-19-2010, 08:52 PM
5 Year Member
I'm liking your poke and stretch. Lot of posters above who aren't familliar with the VW scene. And even there, I have never seen a more heated discussion topic as poke and stretch. Personally, I like the look. Wouldn't do it without bags personally, but it looks great.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mk donz
thankyou very much buddy
dont worry i already fix it, the rubbing tyre is because i decided to change to 215/45, but i go back with 205/45 again so it didn't rubbing again

once again thanks
No not the rubbing. Just seems like the tire bead to rim contact is weak (critical to keeping the tire inflated). Tire gets a little deflated or you hit a bump, whoosh the extremely stretched tire loses contact with the rim and instant deflation.

Now the poster below likes the look also, but he would not do it without 'bags' which I am sure means inner tubes.

All I am saying is be safe my friend Other than that I'll stop worrying about it and trust your judgment.

Originally Posted by HotIron
I'm liking your poke and stretch. Lot of posters above who aren't familliar with the VW scene. And even there, I have never seen a more heated discussion topic as poke and stretch. Personally, I like the look. Wouldn't do it without bags personally, but it looks great.

Last edited by Tork; 02-19-2010 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:56 AM
No not the rubbing. Just seems like the tire bead to rim contact is weak (critical to keeping the tire inflated). Tire gets a little deflated or you hit a bump, whoosh the extremely stretched tire loses contact with the rim and instant deflation.

Now the poster below likes the look also, but he would not do it without 'bags' which I am sure means inner tubes.

All I am saying is be safe my friend Other than that I'll stop worrying about it and trust your judgment.

ohhh okay now i know what you mean, later, i use a 215 width to minimaize the risk but for now i kept to use 205 until next monday i go to the bodyshop again too pull out my fender so i can clearly use 215 without rubbing and burning

thanks buddy for your opinio i really appreciate it

Last edited by mk donz; 02-20-2010 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:33 AM
5 Year Member

Personally, I don't even like the look. For me, I drive a freaking gas guzzler (99.5 Nissan Pathfinder)...

In any case, my point is, I just replaced the tires on the PF a few months ago after one too many slides that resulted in a damaged brush guard. The new tires are slightly better looking, the sidewall "puffs" out slightly more than the rims. The old tires had the rim stick out a little. It was so little, it looked about even with the sidewall of the tires, but it was enough to get damaged when I pulled a little to close to the curb.

I like tires to be wider than the rims, even if slightly. Having the rims stick out like that just seems odd to me.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:53 PM
5 Year Member
Liking the look! I'm running 17x8s on my GE8, but next set will be 17x8.5 fronts and 17x9 rears.

I like the stretched look, but I daily mine so I don't want any rubbing issues like yourself and many others have had.

The whole tire-stretching thing started with people wanting deep dish wheels on cars that really don't have fender wells wide enough to support the "correct" width tire, so a narrower tire is used and "stretched" to accommodate this.

A tire that is too wide is just as dangerous as a tire that is too narrow. A Ford mustang with 17x8 factory rims should not have 315/35-17's on the rear.

If you go to most all tire manufacturers websites, they list a recommended rim width range, for example Falken recommends 205/40-17 Ziex ZE-512s for use on a 6.5-8" wide rim.

Incorrect load index usage is far more dangerous than a stretched sidewall on a wide rim.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
SLP...what offset rims you running? And what tire size?

Old 05-10-2010, 06:04 PM
5 Year Member
17x8 et38f, et35r, with 205/40-17 Falken Zeix ZE512s.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:44 PM
5 Year Member
i cant wait till my wheels are finished 16x9

Old 05-10-2010, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
^+1 how much longer til u complete it?

Old 05-10-2010, 07:03 PM
5 Year Member
Holy crap! seeing the last pictures, I must say that I'm suprised(was expecting much worse). Looks good when the car is stationary though =]

Old 05-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Those tires on those wheels remind me of some of the women I see in Miami......size 18 bodies in size 4 dresses......just not right!!!!

But who asked for my opinion?

Flea

Old 05-10-2010, 11:28 PM
I have 8.5 and 10" staggered Work Meisters and they have 255 and 285 series tires. I will NEVER understand the stretched tire look. It looks terrible in my opinion.

Note: they don't fit the Fit.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by beangrower
^+1 how much longer til u complete it?
im hoping everything will be in by then end of the month so i can put it all together

Old 05-11-2010, 02:21 AM
5 Year Member
They smoke more than just Kreteks over there and it must really have some ass kicking mind altering potential.... If I was to do that to a Ford Pinto I wouldn't let anyone know about it much less take pictures and post them on an automotive that was frequented by car enthusiast......I mean there are a few on here at least some of the time, right?

Old 05-11-2010, 02:55 AM
Looks awesome!!!! Who ever said rubbing is a bad thing? Mine rubs all day everyday and everything is finnnnee.... I can't wait till I can save enough cash to get my new wheels! Mine will also be stretched like this, but a 16x8. Did you end up taking the car to the shop yet?

Quick Reply: 17x10 in GE8