2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Whats up with the paint chips?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 09:49 PM
Honda Paint SUCKS!!

My car is 3 months old and I am very careful. Not a lot of highway driving and I have chips all over the place. I have never had such a problem. Love the car but since they will not take care of the problem this will be my first and last Honda! I have made a complaint to the Better businees Bureau, Everyone should and maybe they will hear what we are saying!

Old 04-07-2010, 09:42 AM
5 Year Member
I got another one the other day so that makes 2. I touched them up and you can't see them now unless I told you exactly where they are but I have to keep an eye on this before it gets out hand. Both my chips are at the front edge of the hood so a deflector would have prevented them. But I am trying to move some money around and see if I can get a clear bra installed. Problem is, it's tax time and I am paying, not getting a refund. Argh!

Old 07-26-2010, 10:30 PM
Paint issue fixed

I had to fight Honda through the Better Business Bureau but they did repaint my car. It has been almost 2 months and the paint does not seem to have any more issues. They had the nerve to try and say I had wrecked the car and thats why the paint had issues.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:19 PM
if you're planning to keep your fit for a long time... maybe it a good thing to start saving for new paint job

when I saw the chip on mine just 2 weeks after getting it (near rear aux window pass side) I've come to terms... it is what it is... a $14K base car with paint as thin as onion skin.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
if you're planning to keep your fit for a long time... maybe it a good thing to start saving for new paint job

when I saw the chip on mine just 2 weeks after getting it (near rear aux window pass side) I've come to terms... it is what it is... a $14K base car with paint as thin as onion skin.
Sorry to be bringing up an old thread but figured add on rather than start a new one....

I drive highway every day, 100 miles round trip ....have gotten a few chips here and there..it has been raining for about 7 straight days here but we got a slight break today...I looked at my hood and almost fell over! There has to be about 20-30 little chips all over the hood now...I'm not sure if it happened a week ago on the MA Pike heading out to Westover or this past Monday at work when some clown was weed whacking the grass on the island in between parking lots. I can't imagine a weed whacking picking up that much stuff and chipping the hood like that but who knows?

All in all I gotta say that the MR paint SUCKS. Wifes BBP has 40K on it and while some chips and dings they don't show up anywhere near as they do on the non clear coated MR.

SO guess I gotta remember what evil said and shrug and realize econobox with horrible thin paint

Still sucks though lol

Old 05-19-2011, 09:55 AM
5 Year Member
I also participate in a BMW owners' forum, where there have been similar complaints about easy-chipping paint. In a time long, long ago, when the salvation of Planet Earth was not an issue, automotive paints were formulated with very harsh and toxic chemical solvents. Now, they must be water soluble. The results are apparently not as durable. Perhaps some day there will be chemical advances that will help. For now, I can compare my wife's 2009 Fit ($19,500) in Orange Revolution with my 2011 335i ($55,500) in Space Gray and I find that the paint jobs are comparable despite the huge price difference. The Fit paint is equally smooth and free from excessive orange peel and other defects.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jelliotlevy
I also participate in a BMW owners' forum, where there have been similar complaints about easy-chipping paint. In a time long, long ago, when the salvation of Planet Earth was not an issue, automotive paints were formulated with very harsh and toxic chemical solvents. Now, they must be water soluble. The results are apparently not as durable. Perhaps some day there will be chemical advances that will help. For now, I can compare my wife's 2009 Fit ($19,500) in Orange Revolution with my 2011 335i ($55,500) in Space Gray and I find that the paint jobs are comparable despite the huge price difference. The Fit paint is equally smooth and free from excessive orange peel and other defects.
And she hasn't divorced you? I wear the Fit in my family.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:21 AM
Originally Posted by Blackberry Goose
Wifes BBP has 40K on it and while some chips and dings they don't show up anywhere near as they do on the non clear coated MR.
What do you mean by non clear coated MR? My MR has a clear coat on it.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by txmatt
Yeah, because a chip-free auto finish is soooo much more important than respiratory health and attempting to reduce cancer rates.
Respiratory health and cancer rates are almost totally connected to cigarettes and being fat and lazy......and anybody anywhere near a paint operation is required to wear a respirator.

geo